Six

No Longer Holding You Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Few Days Later

Kihyun

Tapping my fingers on the piano keys, I wasn't really feeling good today. Even though I really wanted to help my students and hold class today, I had to tell them before hand that I had to cancel class for the day. Now I was just sitting there, not knowing what to do. It felt as if my life suddenly became empty and I didn't know why.

Pressing the keys on the piano, I dragged my fingers down to fall to my side because I wasn't sure what was really wrong with me.

My phone buzzed on the top of the piano and I reached over to see who it was.

To: Kihyun

From: Hoseok

3:18 PM

Want to go eat? Are you done with class?

 

To: Hoseok

From: Kihyun

3:19 PM

Sure. Where?

 

To: Kihyun

From: Hoseok

3:20 PM

Usual.

 

Sighing heavily, I stand up and grab my stuff before making my way out of the room. As I walked down the hallway, I pulled out my phone and went through my message for no reason. As I scrolled through, I realized that Eun Seok hasn't texted me or called me for a few days now. No wonder I felt so empty! I haven't seen her for a while or hung our with her for days.

I sent her a quick text, hoping that maybe she would reply soon but then I remembered that she was most likely at work so she wouldn't be able to reply until later.

 

"What do you mean you haven't seen Eun Seok?" Hoseok asked as he took a bit out of his friend chicken.

"I haven't,"

"Dude that's strange. Ever since you met her you've been with her every day. Do you think something happened? Or maybe even worse, she doesn't want to be with you anymore. She probably dumped you and you didn't even realize it," he laughed as he reached for his drink.

"Yah! That's impossible! And we're not dating!"

"Doesn't seem that way," he pointed with the drumstick he was holding towards me.

I rolled my eyes and took a bite out of my own chicken. I thought about what he said, though, that maybe something did happen to her and she hasn't been able to contact me because of that. For some reason I started growing worried about her and her safety; she was in a wheelchair after all.

"Do you think something really happened to her?"

"Hard to say. I haven't met her,"

"You're no help," I sighed as I took a sip from my drink as I looked around. The restaurant that we were at was pretty packed, considering the time of day. It was our usual meeting spot for all seven of us. Mostly Hoseok, Hyunwoo and I. 

"I'm surprised you wanted fried chicken during the week," I chuckled as I tried to get my mind off Eun Seok but that was proving to be impossible.

Hoseok shrugged as he finished the drumstick that he was eating and reached for another one.

"I wanted some fried chicken. What can I say?"

"A personal trainer wanted fried chicken?"

He shrugged again as he smirked. "Sometimes you have to cheat,"

Rolling my eyes, we continued to eat our meal as we chatted and basically caught up in each other lives. Of course, I left out the fact that Eun Seok was wheelchair bound, I didn't want any of my friends to take pity on her. Especially since she didn't need to be pitied because she was a very strong individual and didn't allow her limitations to get in her way. Which was one of the reasons I admired her much—maybe even why I had some feelings for her, but I wasn't so sure about that yet.

Eun Seok's POV

I was behind the front desk filing some papers when Dr. Kim came from on of the surgery rooms and pulled the mask from his face as he rubbed his arms.

"Are you alright? Can you work?" Dr. Kim asked as he disposed the mask into of the metal trash cans.

"Yeah I'm alright. Just a sprained a wrist," I smiled at him as I held up my left arm to show him. He smiled widely as he tapped his fingers on the counter top of the desk.

"I'm glad nothing's broken,"

Smiling once more he tapped his fingers on the counter top once more before he continued down to his office. Dr. Kim has nothing been nice to me since I first started working here. I really appreciated the fact that he even gave the opportunity and treated me like everyone else despite my handicap.

Back at the other vet clinic, although the head vet was nice as well but the other assistants would sometimes talk behind my back. Luckily there was one of them that stood up for me when I couldn't because those other assistants were ruthless. I just never told Yong Rim because I knew she would just make it worse and I want to be seen as even weaker than I already was. Plus I really didn't want to worry her with my problems at work, she was already stressed as it was and I didn't want to add on to it.

So when she asked me if I would be fine with moving with her to Busan, I agreed because I wanted to get away. Even though I could have easily gone to another vet clinic that was the closest one to the house and no one else wanted to hire a girl in a wheelchair. I was glad that I agreed because the people here are so nice and caring—very much different from what I had gotten used to.

"Eun Seok," Kim Ji Yoo called as she wiped her hands with a tissue before disposing it into the metal trash can.

"Yes?" I said as I looked up at her. She was tall, with long brown hair that went past her waist, a small pale face with almond shaped eyes and a high nose. was small as well but curved upward as if she was smiling all the time. She was petite and would think she was a teenager when in fact she was in her late 20s. Ji Yoo was very kind to me and she was more or less my friend at work. There were a few other assistants but they had different schedules during the week so I didn't really spend as much time with them as I did with Ji Yoo.

"Are you on your lunch break?" she asked as she leaned on the counter top to look over at me.

"Let me see," I said as I rolled closer to the desk so I could type on the keyboard to log in and check the work schedule. "What time is it?"

"12:35," she smiled as got rose up on her tippy toes and she tilted her head towards the computer to see the work schedule as well. "Seo Hyun works on the weekend? Man, I was hoping to see her this week. Oh well," she said bummed as got back on her feet

"I should be on break and how come?" I asked as I logged out of the computer and pushed myself away from the desk to roll around it.

"Oh I owe her some money," she said as she shoved her hands into the front pockets of her scrubs and walked along side me towards the back where the small kitchenette was located. Good thing there weren't any appointments scheduled and no one was inside the lobby.

"I see," I said as I rolled up to the table and she went over to the fridge to get the food.

"I ordered Chinese food earlier. Hope that's okay," she said as she pulled out the bag of Chinese food and set it on the table.

"We should probably heat it up," I laughed. She looked at me surprised before laughing.

"You're right,"

After she heated the food in the microwave, we sat at the small round table joking and laughing.

"Can you believe that?" she said between bites.

"No. Why would someone dump someone like you?" I was being honest, she was pretty and everything a guy looked for in a girl.

"He was a jerk. I don't really care," she shrugged.

"Ladies," Dr. Kim walked in with a smile plastered on his face.

"Did something good happen to you?" Ji Yoo joked as we continued to eat our food.

"None of your business,"

"He has a lady friend!" she burst out laughing as food went flying out .

"Ji Yoo that's gross," I frowned as I grabbed a bunch of napkins and handed it to her as I tried wiping it from my arm because somehow it ended up on there.

Dr. Kim blushed slightly as he placed a cup of coffee into the microwave and closed the door before pushing the buttons for it to start.

"I guess you could say that,"

"What does she look like?"

"I don't think you should prying into my life. I do believe yours is enough of a trainwreck," he smirked.

"Ouch. That must have burned," I laughed as Ji Yoo glared at me causing me to laugh even more. She huffed as she stabbed her chopsticks into the food.

The microwave made that loud beeping noise and Dr. Kim opened it and took his coffee out before closing the door and reached over to grab some creamers and a pack of sugar.

"I'll be in my office you need me," he said as he sipped on his coffee and left the kitchenette.

"I hope he chokes on it," Ji Yoo whispered as she picked on her food.

"You know he didn't mean it,"

"Whatever,"

 

Finally, work was finally over. The day had seriously dragged by, it was really quiet in the lobby since there weren't as many patients waiting with their owners. I changed out of my work clothes and placed them inside the locker and grabbed my shoes before closing the locker behind me. I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my bag before heading out.

As I went out the sliding glass doors of the vet clinic, a slight breeze hit me and it felt nice. The sun was already setting causing the skies to turn different hues of orange and pink, which I found so beautiful.

"There you are," I heard a familiar voice say as they got up from a bench that was situated by a lamp post and a few trees. As they approached, I realized it was Kihyun.

"K-Kihyun," 

"I've been trying to reach you, but you haven't answered your phone so I got worried," he said as he shoved his hands into jean pockets. His hai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter