Five

No Longer Holding You Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Oh!" I say surprised. "It's you again,"

Hyunwoo looks up at me as his lips turn down in a frown, and he fidgets in his spot. "You say that like I've been annoying you,"

I can't hide the smile as my lips tug upward and I laugh lightly before shaking my head. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I really was just surprised, that's all,"

"Oh,"

He's silent for another second before he looks back up and smiles as he pulls his hands out from behind his back. Hyunwoo has two bananas in his hands, and he holds one up to gesture towards me.

"Um f-for you. If you haven't eaten yet,"

I raise my eyebrow at him, and he flushes under my gaze as I walk over and take the banana out of his hand. "Thanks," I smile. "That's really sweet of you, but I ate this morning, don't worry,"

His shoulders deflate as soon as he considers my words and I want to laugh so bad because he looks like a big puppy but that only causes me to chuckle.

"Stop looking like that; I'll still eat it. I'm kind of hungry right now when I think about it,"

"You don't have--"

Before he can say anything else, I peel the banana quickly and bite off a piece, chewing with a smile on my face until he shakes his head and laughs.

"You didn't have to do that."

"But I was hungry," I laugh.

I continue chewing on the banana as he rolls his eyes and I make my way back over to my desk, looking down at my phone and frowning when I realize that Eun Seok still hasn't replied back to my message. I know she's working now, but usually, she'll send me something quick or respond right away even if it's something small. I shake any negative thoughts out of my head and instead turn around as Hyunwoo walks further into the room.

"Um so I was--" he stops slightly and looks down at his fingers while I cross my arms.

"Yeah?"

"I was actually wondering you know i-if-if you k-know that-" he frowns at himself, and I laugh before straightening up.

"Why are you stuttering? It's okay; you can say whatever it is,"

"I know," he sighs. His cheeks color red slightly, and I can't help but grin at his sudden change of attitude. Hyunwoo rubs the back of his neck before patting his pockets and sighing again. 

"You know how we talked about eati--"

Before he can finish what he wants to say, the bell suddenly rings, causing both of us to jump, and the sound of students fills the hallway instantly. 

"Just tell me later okay?" I suggest. 

A few students hurry into the classroom and Hyunwoo backs away with a small smile and nods his head before leaving. I want to tell him more, but the rest of the students file into the classroom, and I push that thought to the back of my head.

 

--

 

I pull my phone out of my pocket as the students head to gym class and look back down to see nothing from Eun Seok still. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, and I open the message back up to type something quickly. 

From: Yong Unnie

hey, you're alright right? Are you busy at work? Just try to respond when you get the chance. Checking in on you again

My finger hovers over the send button, and briefly, I think about deleting the message, but I send it away and put my phone back.

I should probably not even think so hard about this; she's probably busy. I think back to the times when she would be swamped with work back in Seoul and the occasional nights when she would come just before I waited up for her. Maybe she's just swamped again. I sigh and gather the things at my desk before walking off to the teachers lounge.

 

--

 

Eun Seok's POV

This is not how I imagined I'd be spending my day.

I looked up at the clock on the other side of the wall and frowned before turning my attention back to my lap. The waiting room was barely full but I had been already sitting here for what seemed like hours. I blew my hair out of my eyes and reached for my phone in the pocket of my coat before pulling it out to see a slew of messages from my sister.

Of course.

I tried not to cringe at all of the messages she sent me as I scrolled through them but I could already feel a headache coming on from all the questions. The last message was sent just about an hour ago and I decided to just call her instead to save the hassle.

 

"Hello?"

"It's me, Eun Seok,"

There was a long pause on the other line before I heard a soft thud and my sister start to talk in a rush. "Are you okay? Is everything fine? Why didn't you answer any of my messages? Are you still at work?!"

"Yah yah yah!" I frowned.

A few people waiting in the opposite chairs glanced at me but I ignored them.

"Stop asking so much. I'm okay, well I could be better and no I'm not at work. I didn't have time to check my phone until now. I'm at the hospital actually..." I said the last part slowly.

"Wait what? Where are you?"

"The hospital," I swallowed.

There was another long pause over the line until I could hear shuffling and the sound of drawers slamming. "Which hospital? Where are you? I'm coming over there!"

"What?!" I spluttered. "No- just no you don't need to come over here. Everything is under control. You need to relax- I only hurt my wrist but I'm going to be fin-"

"There are only three hospitals in this part of town. It won't take me long to figure out which one you're at," she said absentmindedly.

That headache I was feeling earlier was coming back in full force.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed noisily before talking again.  "Please do not come, Yong. I know you're worried but really I'm fine and shouldn't you be at work?"

"Yeah but if you're hurt then I-"

"I swear if you come down here then I will give you the silent treatment again,"

"Hey! You said we would forget about that. You can't bring it up again!"

I smiled to myself and leaned back in my wheelchair. It wouldn't take much to persuade her now. "Well, suddenly it came to mind again so don't come. I mean it. I'll have all of this taken care of and then I'll be home soon,"

"Wait wait wait, but-"

The doors on the other side opened and a tall man with round framed glasses looked down at the clipboard in his hand before staring back out in the waiting room.

"Han Eun Seok?"

"I have to go, the doctor is calling me unnie,"

"No no no wait a second I didn't get to fin-"

I hung up before she could say anything else and just as I waved my hand at the doctor, he smiled politely and waited for me as I wheeled myself over.

 

"Does it hurt when I do this?" he asked gently. His thumb and forefinger pushed my hand down and I winced almost automatically, causing him to stop and nod his head.

"From what it looks like to me, you probably just have a sprain. It's a good thing that nothing's broken but I'll bandage your wrist just in case."

He swiveled around in his chair and typed a few things into his computer before opening a drawer on the side and pulling a few things out to put in his hands. When he turned back around, he smiled warmly at me and I had to stop myself from blushing. He looked very young despite being a doctor and moved with caution and ease, someone that had skill.

"You must be a doctor as well? I've never seen you around before," he said.

"What?"

He unrolled the bandage wrap and gingerly grabbed my hand to lay against the armrest before starting. "Your attire. Do you work in a hospital as well?"

I looked down at my clothes and if my face could have caught on fire, it would have that very moment. Through this chaotic day, I didn't realize that I had come straight from work to the hospital. I needed to get a grip.

"Oh um yeah-" I coughed. "I'm a veterinarian actually."

He moved the bandage around my wrist before weaving it through the space between my thumb and index finger and before I could say anything else, he smiled up at me.

"Wow, that's cool! I actually have a sister who is a vet as well but she works in the States."

"Oh...okay," I grinned. "Um yeah, it is pretty cool, though. I love pets but I can't have any. My sister thinks it's too dangerous, as you can see," I gestured down to my wrist.

"Understandable," he nodded."But a small dog or a cat wouldn't be too much right?"

"My sister hates cats and she's pretty much dead set on the whole, no dog thing," I scrunched my nose.

"Sisters," he sighed, pushing the rim of his glasses back up.

"Tell me about it,"

Both of us laughed and he tucked my hand back into my side before moving over to his desk to scratch something down on his notepad. "Everything other than that should be okay now. Just don't try to move your wrist as much or exert any more force than necessary. I'll prescribe you some over the counter medicine that you could take if the pain comes back, alright?"

I nodded my head and he got back up again, handing me the slip that looked like just a bunch of messy scrawl with a faint, Dr.Oh etched at the bottom.

 

--

Yong Rim's POV

"There isn't an answer for thi-"

A knock on that door causes me to look up and I smile automatically as Hyunwoo leans against the frame before waving. "Still here?"

"Yeah," I hold up my pen. "Grading tests,"

He rolls his eyes playfully and lifts himself up before giving me that look again like he has something to say.

"Just spit it out," I chuckle.

His tongue peeks out to his bottom lip and he looks down briefly before I raise my eyebrow at him. "Dinner?"

"Huh?"

"Um, dinner. I was wondering did you want to get something to eat? It's already late and you've been here for awhile. I have too and my stomach is growling,"

"Oh," I cough. "Um I won't be that much longer but you can go ahead without me, really. I don't want you to feel like you have to wait up or something," I shake my head.

My fingers curl around the red pen in my hand and I wait for Hyunwoo to say something else because I already know he's going to argue with me and it doesn't take long before he opens his mouth again.

"Did you forget?" he walks into the room. He swings his arms at his side so easily that it makes him look a lot younger.

"Forget what?"

He taps his fingers against the edge of my desk and when I don't answer him, he frowns and leans over to flick my forehead.

"Ouch! What the hell?!"

I throw my pen at him and he jumps back laughing before shaking his head. "You still owe me a dinner from last time. You're paying since you were too busy,"

I rub the spot on my forehead and glare up at him but his smile still stays and suddenly I feel like smacking it off of him. "What makes you think I want to eat with you now? Huh?"

"I'm sorry," he chuckles.

Hyunwoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter