Three

No Longer Holding You Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Earlier that day...

 

I hiked the box up underneath my arm to rest it against my hip and sighed loudly as I stared ahead at the staircase. I had heels on and my classroom was on the fourth floor. Just thinking about my ankles, made me wince and look down briefly at my feet.

"You can do this, it's not like you haven't ran in heels before and it's just four flights- woman up,"

I said a small hwaiting underneath my breath and took another deep breath before starting up the stairs. Since the school isn't open yet for classes, it's relatively quiet, only the hum of voices talkings, doors opening and closing and people walking through the hallways. I adjust the box in my arms again before huffing and decide to take a break as I reach the top of the next flight of stairs. I can feel myself getting warm and I whine as I wipe my forehead with the back of my hand and check my watch.

7:01 AM

"Why is time going so slow?" I groan.

I look up at the cieling, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip and briefly wonder what Eun Seok is probably up to right now...she's probably moving around and getting into everything...I just hope she's alright by herself.

I shake those thoughts out of my head and continue up the stairs until I finally reach the fourth floor and smile slightly while looking down both of the halls. They're separated by letters that coorespond to each grade level and I look down at the folder on top of the box that reads, D43.

Must be down this way I think to myself before walking off in the opposite direction. 

My eyes scan over the front of the doors, looking from one to another until I make it halfway down the hall and see my classroom, D43, plastered on the front with my name underneath it. I push the door open and it falls back quietly as I walk further in to be greeted by natural sunlight bathing the classroom in a soft tint of yellow, a long wood desk placed at the front to the side and rows of smaller desks lined up on the other side. There is a back wall full of shelves, baskets, containers that contain supplies and an opposite wall that has a bunch of storage and stacks of textbooks, novels and equiptment that you would use to take outside.

I walk over to my desk and set the box down before smiling and rubbing my cheeks. "Okay, this is not so bad at all,"

My feet are starting to throb a little so I bend down and undo the strap of my heels before slipping them off and walk around to check out the rest of my classroom, barefoot.

There are nametags already placed on desks so the students know where they'll sit when they come in and I try to go through the names in my head and remember some, but my mind is a little overwhelmed at this point so I leave that for later and go back to my desk to set everything up. I move the folder over to the side and take out some picture frames, my laptop, stacks of paperwork, a few things to set on my desk and the gifts that I prepared for the principal and the assistant teachers the other day.

Just as I'm opening my laptop to turn it on, a knock sounds at the door and I turn around before my eyes widen slightly at the guy leaning against the frame with a banana in one hand and a small smile on his face.

"Um..hi. Are you the new transfer from Seoul?"

"M-Me?" I stutter slightly. I flush red and shake my head as he laughs but nods his head. "Yeah, you're kind of the only one in here,"

"Sorry," I whisper. I look down at my computer then back up at him before laughing. "Yes--Yeah I came from Seoul, Han Yong Rim. You?"

"Son Hyunwoo," he grins and walks inside the room while biting off a piece of his banana. "I teach History down the opposite side. It's nice to meet you,"

His eyes crinkle at the edge when he smiles and turn into crescents, with thick lips lifting up at the corner so you can see all of his teeth. I can feel my cheeks catching on fire at this point and it makes me uncomfortable because I don't even know this guy and all he's doing is smiling at me. I cough to get myself together and twirl my thumbs slightly.

"Math," I say suddenly. When his eyebrows furrow in his confusion, I curse myself underneath my breath and start over again. "I mean-I what I'm trying to say is that I teach math, yeah," I nod.

"Oh? Okay that's cool! I'm not really good, never been good at math actually. I had to repeat middle school because I failed out of the math class there, but finally I got it," he smiles proudly. "Around the...fifth time...I believe?" he looks up at the cieling.

I choke on my saliva and Hyunwoo starts laughing loudly until he shakes his head. "I'm just kidding, I'm not that stupid,"

I raise my eyebrow at him and he smiles before taking another bite. "Alright, it was more like three times actually,"

I can't help the laugh that bubbles up from my throat and it isn't long until both of us are laughing while I bring a hand up to my mouth.

"I don't really take you as the history type though either,"

"Yeah sometimes I feel that way too," he frowns slightly. He gets a concentrated look on his face while he stares down at my desk and for some reason I want to lean over and smooth the dent between his eyebrows with my fingers, but I refrain from that.

"Well anyways," he waves his hand. "Is that your family?" he points down to the frames on my desk.

I follow where he's pointing to and I nod my head before turning it so he can see better. "That's my mom, dad, and little brother." I grab the other frame and point to Eun Seok. "That's my sister,"

The photo is a little embarrasing because we were both laying down in bed when I took it with the camera, our faces are bare and a little swollen from sleep but we both have wide smiles on our faces nonetheless.

"You guys look alike," he grins.

"Yeah," I murmur. I turn them back around and he stares at me for a long time until I start to feel uncomfortable and raise my eyebrow at him. "What are you lo-"

Right as I'm about to say something my stomach makes a loud grumbling noise and my hands fly down to wrap around my waist as my eyes widen and Hyunwoo stares at me in shock. We don't even say anything for a long second and I just want him to leave the room already so I can crawl under my desk for the rest of the day and hide but he just keeps staring at me.

"Hungry?"

"No!' I squeak.

"But your stomach--"

"I'm fine!"

Curse myself for not eating breakfast like Eun Seok said!

"I can go get you something re--"

I shake my head quickly and drop my head on the desk as my embarrasment only grows and I can feel the heat crawling up my neck and to my ears. "Can you please--um could you just leave me alone? We have to get ready for class, it's starting soon and I-- I don't want to be unprepared,"

My eyes sqeeze shut and I pray that he leaves the room because I just want to be swallowed up at this point and the only thing that is keeping me grounded right now is this chair. I don't hear anything but I know he's still there because I can feel his presence in the room but eventually he lets out a sigh and there's some shuffling before I hear his feet move across the floor.

"I'll see you later then I guess? It was nice to meet you,"

I nod my head against the desk and I feel so bad for not saying anything that I just wish this day would end already.

Just leave already, leave already, leave already I chant in my head.

I don't know how many minutes pass by but I wait with my eyes closed shut until I feel like he's finally gone and I when I sit up, I heave a sigh of relief at the empty room.

"So stupid," I mutter. "Why didn't you just get something to eat?!"

I rub my stomach as it makes another noise but I freeze when I look out of the corner of my eye and see Hyunwoo's half eaten banana on my desk.

Did he leave that for me?!

Omg...he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter