Two

What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The only sound that could be heard was the ticking of the clock that sounded too loud in the dead silent room. Chanyeol looked at the door hoping to catch any signs of movement that would indicate a potential new vocalist for his band but he was left disappointed when he saw nothing. He huffed in annoyance and turned to Baekhyun who was sitting in front of him with a bored look on his face.

‘I’m screwed.’ Chanyeol groaned and buried his face in the palms of his hands.

Baekhyun patted his arm and said, ‘Don’t give up yet. There’s still quite a few hours left.’

Chanyeol dropped his hands and threw Baekhyun an incredulous look.

‘We’ve been waiting for four hours and only two people showed since we started. And they were hopeless, Baek. Hopeless. They couldn’t sing to save their lives. If I wanted someone like them, I could’ve just asked Jiyoung and saved me from all this trouble.’ Chanyeol grumbled.

Baekhyun laughed at his words and smacked his arm. ‘Come on, Jiyoung’s not that bad.’

‘Says the person who never went karaoke-ing with her.’ Replied Chanyeol.

The former sighed and leaned forward. ‘Don’t be so negative, Chanyeol. Who knows maybe the person you’re looking for will show up at the end of the day.’

Chanyeol didn’t say anything and just grunted as his response. Leaning back into his chair, Chanyeol wished that his bestfriend’s words would turn out to be true.

But as a couple more hours ticked by and there were still no sign of anyone showing up, he lost his hope. He pushed his chair back and stood up.

‘I give up. This was a waste of time.’ Chanyeol uttered.

‘Hey, come on. We still have an hour left.’

Chanyeol who was making his way towards his booth, turned to look at Baekhyun. ‘What difference would it make? No one’s showing up, Baek. It’s better to just give up now and go get our dinner than to wait when we know it’s hopeless.’

‘Chanyeol, come on.’

‘I’m out.’

But just as he was about to walk away, the door to their studio opened and Yejin walked in, out of breath. She bowed to the both of them and tried to regulate her breathing as she pushed her hair out of her face.

‘I’m sorry for being late. Please tell me it’s not too late for me to audition?’

Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol just as he turned to look at him and Baek gave him a smile.

‘No, you’re not.’ Chanyeol said as he walked towards Yejin and shook her hand. ‘I’m Chanyeol and that’s Baekhyun.’

‘Hi.’ Yejin said shyly as she shook Baekhyun’s hand. ‘Am I auditioning for your band?’ She said pointing to both Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

Baekhyun shook his head. ‘No, I’m the owner of this studio. You’re auditioning for him.’

‘It’s a two person band, actually.’ Chanyeol said, chuckling.

‘Ahh… okay.’ Yejin nodded. ‘So… should I start or…?’

‘Ahh yes, please.’ Chanyeol replied, and showed her to where she was supposed to stand.

He sat down next to Baekhyun and gave him a grin.

‘I have a good feeling about her.’

‘Me too.’ Baekhyun agreed.

Chanyeol turned to look at Yejin who was taking off her coat before turning to Baekhyun again.

‘She’s really pretty, too.’

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and smacked the back of his head. ‘We want her talent not her looks, .’

‘But it’s better if she has the looks to go with a great voice, doesn’t it?’

‘We haven’t even heard her sing yet, don’t get your hopes too high. For all we know, she could sound like a dying cat.’

Chanyeol turned to look at Yejin and gave her a thumbs up as sign that she could start singing whenever she’s ready and whispered, ‘I doubt it.’

Yejin took a deep breath as she looked at the both of them.

This is it. You only have one chance, don’t screw up, she thought to herself.

She took another deep breath and closed her eyes as she started singing. She didn’t want to look at their faces because she was afraid to look at their reactions. She didn’t want to be disappointed if their faces showed any kind of dissatisfaction, so she decided it would be best if she closed her eyes.

Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s eyes went wide and the former gripped the latter’s arms tightly. He couldn’t believe that after all those grueling hours earlier today, he’s finally found what he was looking for. He felt all burden on his shoulders, slipped away when Yejin opened .

‘She’s amazing.’ Baekhyun whispered.

Chanyeol, who was at a loss for words, just nodded his head.

When she’s done singing, Yejin slowly opened her eyes and look at them both to gauge their reaction. When they didn’t say anything, she felt her heart dropped to her stomach, thinking that maybe she had blown her chance. But then Chanyeol stood up and hugged her tightly.

‘Thank you, thank you, thank you!’ He repeated and pulled away with a huge grin on his face. ‘Thank you for showing up!’

Yejin turned to look at Baek who was smiling at her then back to Chanyeol. ‘Am I in?’

‘You’re in!’

Her eyes went wide as she clapped her hands and jumped up and down. ‘Really? Thank you!’

‘You still haven’t told us your name.’ Baekhyun said as he approached the two of them.

‘Yejin. My name’s Yejin.’

‘Well, Yejin, since this studio will probably be your second home from now on, let me show you around.’ Baekhyun said as he led the way with Yejin following closely behind.

Chanyeol ran his hands through his hair as he sighed in relief. He watched as Baek showed Yejin around and he grinned to himself when Yejin looked back at him and gave him a smile.

She’s the one.

 

 

 

            Yejin was telling Jiyoung about her audition earlier in the day and that she’s the new vocalist and Jiyoung felt happy for her. She didn’t understand why she was thinking about all those things yesterday. She was probably just being paranoid.

‘Would you like a drink?’ Jiyoung asked.

‘Caramel Macchiato, please!’ Yejin replied before once again going on and on about her audition and Jiyoung just listened to her talking animatedly.

Jiyoung smiled to herself because she realized Yejin’s probably going to be here more often too since the studio is just above the café.

It’s not so bad to have a close friend somewhere nearby.

Yejin’s eyes suddenly brightened up and she leaned forward and smiled slyly at Jiyoung.

‘Oh, and one of them is cute too.’ Yejin said with a wink.

Jiyoung froze in place at her words for a short second before she snapped out of it and continued making Yejin’s drink. She doesn’t want Yejin to realize that her words brought up all sorts of feeling in her at the moment, so she put on a small smile and flashed them at Yejin.

‘Oh really? Which one?’

Yejin thought for a moment and then said, ‘Well, both of them are cute actually but one of them is more my type. His name is –’

‘Jiyoung, I got myself a new vocalist!’ Chanyeol shouted as soon as he stepped into the café.

Yejin who didn’t get to finish her sentence and Jiyoung who was still making a drink for Yejin turned to the door and saw Chanyeol standing there with a wide grin on his face. But when he realized that Yejin was standing there next to Jiyoung, his face turned red.

‘Wow, you must be that desperate to find a vocalis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter