Four

What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The room was silent and still as they both looked at each other. They both still couldn’t wrap their head around what had just happened and Jongin was the first to break the silence.

‘What the hell just happened?’

Chanyeol leaned backwards unto the bookshelf as a million things ran through his head.

He couldn’t have made this decision because of Yejin, could he? He asked himself.

Jongin looked at Chanyeol for help but saw that the latter was caught up in his own thoughts that he didn’t even look at Jongin.

‘We gotta do something. No, wait, you gotta do something.’ Jongin said pointing to Chanyeol.

That seemed to get his attention as he lifted his head up and frowned at Jongin. ‘Me? Why me?’

‘You got to talk to him about this.’

Chanyeol scoffed. ‘You did this! You started everything, Jongin! If you hadn’t done what you did, things wouldn’t be this complicated right now!’

‘Well, I’m sorry, okay?’ Jongin shouted. ‘I didn’t expect things to be this way.’

Jongin sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

‘You have to help me.’ Jongin said softly.

Chanyeol shook his head and pushed himself off of the bookshelf and walked towards Jongin. ‘I’m going to go talk to him and you,’ he pointed at Jongin. ‘You better find a way to fix this mess.’

Jongin nodded his head and watched as Chanyeol walked towards Baekhyun’s room. He fell back onto the sofa and lay down.

He didn’t mean for this to happen. Why did he have to open his mouth the other day? Why couldn’t he just pull his together and act normally in front of Jieun? He did want Jieun but why is he feeling so terribly guilty now?

Jongin grunted in frustration and set his arm on his face, covering his eyes.

What do I do now? He thought to himself.

 

Chanyeol couldn’t believe the words that had just came out of Baekhyun’s mouth earlier. He must’ve really been feeling guilty towards Jongin if he was really serious about backing off of Jieun. He knows how much Baekhyun really liked her because he spends 24/7 with the guy and all that he does talk about is Jieun.

Could Yejin also play a part in his decision?

He knows that Jieun and Baekhyun are taking a break and Baekhyun has been smiling a lot around Yejin lately. Could he have fallen for the girl?

Chanyeol stopped in his tracks for a second and shook his head.

He can’t be. He knows Baekhyun and he knows that he’s not the kind to give up on a girl that easily. But, didn’t he just do that?

Chanyeol wanted answers as the questions in his head were getting a little too unbearable.

He opened Baekhyun’s door without even knocking and looked inside.

Baekhyun was sitting on the side of his bed with his head in his hands. Chanyeol walked inside and closed the door behind him. He sat next to Baekhyun and put his arm around his shoulder.

Chanyeol sighed before opening his mouth and said, ‘Why are you doing this, Baek?’

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun when he didn’t reply.

‘Do you not like Jieun anymore?’

Baekhyun lifted his head up and intertwined his fingers together before setting his chin on top of them. ‘No.’ he replied.

‘No?’ Chanyeol asked. ‘You don’t like her anymore?’

Baekhyun was silent for a few seconds and Chanyeol felt his heart dropped. Maybe spending all those times with Yejin did have an effect on him.

Chanyeol heard Baekhyun took a deep breath and his heart started to beat faster.

‘I still do, Chanyeol.’ Baekhyun muttered.

Chanyeol let out a breath that he didn’t even realize he was holding and felt his shoulders dropped in relief.

‘I can’t lie and say I don’t have feelings for her anymore.’

‘Then why did you do that?’ Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun shook his head. ‘You don’t understand.’ He said before standing up and facing Chanyeol. ‘I caused him pain, Chanyeol. And you weren’t there when Jieun was telling me about Jongin’s confession. You didn’t see the look in her eyes.’

Baekhyun shook his head again before continuing, ‘She told me that she doesn’t have feelings for him but, if she was willing to end things between us for his sake… What does that mean?’

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun and felt sorry for him when he saw how hurt he was. He watched as Baekhyun sat back down next to him.

‘I think she might have some feelings for him that she didn’t even realize she has yet.’ He said and turned his head towards Chanyeol. ‘And since he liked her too, isn’t it the right thing for me to do to back off and give them the chance they deserve?’

‘But, Baek,’ Chanyeol started and turned his body to face him. ‘You’ve liked her for so long. Why are you letting her go so easily?’

Baekhyun shook his head and smiled sadly. ‘It’s not easy.’ He said, looking down at his hands. ‘But I want him to be happy and I know that he’ll treat her well.’

Baekhyun fell back on the bed and let out a sigh. He turned to looked at Chanyeol who was frowning at him and he chuckled softly.

‘I’ll be okay. Don’t worry about me.’

Chanyeol didn’t even hear what he said and instead was focusing on the question he wanted to ask him.

‘Do you like Yejin?’

Baekhyun who was taken aback by Chanyeol’s question, sat back up and raised his eyebrows.

‘Why are you suddenly bringing Yejin up?’

‘Do you like her or not?’ Chanyeol asked again.

Baekyhun scanned Chanyeol’s face and realized that he was being serious. He really wanted to know if he liked Yejin and this question was not something that just popped into his head.

Chanyeol waited for his answer and when Baekhyun looked away from him and started playing with his fingers, he felt his heart stopped.

 

 

 

Jongin climbed the stairs slowly as he tried to put together the right words to say in his head. Every single thing that he came up with was not good enough and he scratched his forehead in frustration. He stood in front of Jieun’s centre and tried to build up the courage to walk in and find her.

He really needed to apologize for blowing up the other day and for saying all those things he did. But most of all, he had to make things right again and fix this complicated situation he was caught up in right now.

Jongin took one last deep breath before lifting his hand up and grabbed the door handle.

‘Jongin?’

Jongin jumped a little, clearly startled by the voice. He turned and saw Jieun looking at him curiously.

‘Jieun…’ He started. ‘I was… I was about to go inside and look for you. I think that we need to talk.’

Jongin fidgeted as he waited for her reply. And when Jieun nodded her head, he let out his breath and threw her a smile.

Jieun led him inside and towards her office. And once they reached there, Jongin took a seat on the chair she had in front of her desk. Jieun set her bag down on her desk before taking a seat right next to the one Jongin was sitting on and turned to him.

‘What did you want to talk about?’

‘I think you know, Jieun.’ He replied immediately.

Jieun was silent as she looked at Jongin and leaned back into the chair.

‘What about it?’

Jongin took a deep breath before he opened his mouth. ‘I wanted to apologize for what I did the other day. I was out of line for doing so and I’m sorry I ruined things between you and Baek.’

Her eyes shot up to him as her eyebrows furrowed. ‘How did you know about that?’

‘Nothing’s going on between you two right now, am I right?’ Jieun looked away as she couldn’t handle the intensity that was Jongin’s eyes. ‘What happened, Jieun-ah?’

Jieun shook her head. ‘I did it for you.’

‘Why?’

‘I didn’t want to hurt you.’

Jongin reached out and pulled her face to look at him. He gave her a soft smile and held her hands tightly.

‘Do you love Baekhyun, Jieun?’

Jieun who was clearly confused at his words, didn’t answer straight away and Jongin just smiled warmly at her.

‘Do you?’ he asked again.

Jieun nodded her head slightly and became even more confused when Jongin’s smile grew wider.

‘I… I don’t understand.’ She said.

Jongin let go of her hands as he leaned backwards and stared at her.

‘You’re not hurting me anymore, Jieun. The other day, I was just really frustrated and you caught me at a bad time. I’m really sorry I let it all out on you.’ Jongin explained. ‘And I do have feelings for you. I mean, I did. It’s not easy to get over someone like you but I realized that you and Baek are a perfect match.’

Jieun couldn’t say anything and she just sat there and listened to what he has to say. Jongin was thankful for that because if she were to intercept and say anything, he would’ve lost it and he doesn’t want that to happen.

‘He loves you too, you know?’ he said with a smile. ‘And he’s really hurt over the decision you made.’

Jieun looked down at her hands and shook her head.

‘I don’t know what to do. I thought that it was the right thing to do.’ She said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter