Seungah

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Ignoring my parents’ hellos, I ran into my room and slammed the door shut. My bottom lip quivered as I plopped down on my comfy bed. I let out a groan of frustration. Why did he do that? He was trying to kiss me. I couldn’t push that stupid thought out of my head. A placed a cold hand to my cheek which was burning. My heart wouldn’t slow down to a normal pace. How long is Jiyong going to drive me crazy? I dropped my bag and covered my face with my hands. I admit it. I can’t get over him. He’s the only thing I need. He’s the only thing I want. Now, I kind of regret pushing him away. I bit my lip. What would happen if I didn’t push him away? I stood up and shook my head.

                I sighed and paced back and forth, trying to calm myself down. A binder on my bookcase caught my attention. In childish, messy handwriting, it was labeled ‘Me and Jiyong’ I swallowed down the lump that was forming in my throat. I remember this. I always disregarded it. It just blended in as just another boring, lame book. But it wasn’t a boring and lame book. This binder was—no it still is— an important item to me. I didn’t want to revisit any painful memories, but I pulled it out of the bookshelf anyway. I trailed my finger over the tattered cover. I used my sleeve to wipe off the layer of dust. Dirty? Yes. Convenient? Also yes.

                Slowly, I opened the binder up. Plastic sheet covers protected many photos from dust. I choked on my spit when I saw the very first picture. It was a picture of me and Jiyong, smiling cheekily to the camera. We were about 7. The most important part of the photo though, was the huge hourglass in the back which measured exactly one year. I still remember that day. Our families went to the Sand Museum in Nima, Japan. It was where we both got our smaller hourglasses— the ones that we still have. Well — I still have it. I’m not sure if Jiyong still does. My heart ached. I wish I was still a kid where there was no drama, no cheating, no boyfriends.

                I didn’t want to turn to the next set of photos, but I did anyway. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I want to forget him, but I just keep remembering our past. I chuckled bitterly as I turned the pages, remembering little bits of our past. I stopped at one set of photos. We were holding hands and making silly faces at the camera while still in our high school uniforms. That was the day we had our first kiss. It happened on a warm August. August 18th to be exact — his 16th birthday.

 

                 “Happy birthday Jiyong oppa!” I exclaimed giddily. He smiled and hugged me.

                “Thanks!” sang Jiyong. I handed him a gift. He unwrapped it, revealing a homemade scarf.

                “I worked hard on it!” I told him and he chuckled in return.

                “Thanks baby boo,” he beamed, carefully placing it back in the bag. I smiled. We were a sweet couple. Mostly everyone knew that. Even our parents approved of it. I was so happy with him. I glanced at him. He was thinking about something. I personally think his thinking face is cute. He turned back to me and said, “I want something else for my birthday.”

                “What is it?” I asked. He smiled sheepishly and moved his face closer towards mine. I turned a bit pink.

                “A kiss,” he replied. I pecked him on the cheek, causing him to frown. “Not that kind!”

                I blushed. He wanted a kiss on the lips. This would be both of our first kisses. He pulled out the hourglass we bought when we were younger and set it on the table, waiting for the sand to even out. He finally flipped it over and said, “You only have one minute.”

                My eyes widened in horror as I watched the sands fall down. Since when was one minute so short? I looked back at him. His eyes were closed and a wide smile was plastered onto his face. I blushed madly and my heart beat quickened. I slowly lowered my face towards his. Before I could do anything, his eyes shot open and he kissed me on the lips. I was freaking out. My first kiss just gone like that… But I didn’t mind, because it was with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter