Seungah

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                I woke up the next morning, feeling somewhat refreshed. It was just that feeling you get after crying a ton. It’s like your eyes were cleared out. Yes I cried. Who wouldn’t after being heartbroken by your 8 year boyfriend?

“You need to cry sometimes, so you can smile after.” Jiyong once told me. My heart beat quickened again. I hate him for doing this to me. Did I mean nothing to him? I rubbed my eyes. I just wanted to go to sleep again. I groaned and plopped back down on my bed. I glanced at my hand and made a face. That stupid two year anniversary ring. I never took it off. It was like a marriage ring or something. I twisted it off and threw it in one of my jewelry boxes. I stretched my fingers out. There was a visible mark where the ring used to be. My hand felt strangely empty without it. I sighed and stood up. I guess I’ll just go to downtown Seoul to get a taste of Korea again.

 

                After taking a bath, I sat in front of my old makeup table. It had plenty of old pictures of Jiyong and me. My mood automatically dropped. I peeled the pictures off and tossed them aside. I tied my hair up and made a fist. Forget about the bastard with no regrets! Seungah fighting! This is like a new start. Kind of like being reborn as a new person… A Seungah who doesn’t know Jiyong.

---

                I roamed around Seoul, visiting places that held special memories for me. I met a few people I used to know as well. I then decided to eat some street food. Sure, I ate street food in Japan, but Korea was different. I my lips. I decided to go to one of my favorite vendors.

                “Halmoni!” I exclaimed running over to her ddukbokki stand.  She looked up and her eyes slightly widened. I grinned and gave her a tight hug. She patted me on the back.

                “Welcome back Seungah,” she said. “I heard Jiyong dumped you.” I felt as if she just stomped on my already broken heart.

                “I know…” I said weakly, trying to be as positive as I could. It’s hard to do. You can’t just forget about a past love so easily like that. Ms. Shin is way too straight-forward…  My eyes followed her frail hands as she scooped up some extra spicy ddukbokki for me. Ms. Shin makes the best ddukbokki in my opinion. The spiciest. I love spicy food, and everyone knows it. The busy voices around me tune out as I reminisce.

 

                “Ji, try this place!” I exclaim as Jiyong looks around at the various street vendors. “Ms. Shin makes really good ddukbokki!” I drag him over to her stall. He nods slowly, glancing at the short line of the people at Ms. Shin’s stall. “Halmoni!” I call. She looks up and waves. I pull Jiyong up to the front.

                “Hey, don’t cut them,” Jiyong chides, aware of the complaints from the people behind us.

                “It doesn’t matter, I have special privileges,” I say, smiling cheekily. “Halmoni, give us two!”

                “Oh, who is this?” she asks, staring Jiyong down. I can tell he feels a bit uncomfortable.

                “My boyfriend,” I beam, hugging his arm. He seems to relax. Jiyong wraps his arm around me.

                “I’m Kwon Jiyong,” Jiyong introduces himself, bowing.

                “Take care of Seungah or else I’l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter