Cry

A Romance Unholy

With just two days left until the Spring Fling Youngjae couldn't bring himself to fake his happiness any longer. He walked around campus with a grim expression, dreading the deadline of his life.

Daehyun caught sight of him when leaving his classroom and instantly knew the problem. A part of him wanted to apologize for leaving Youngjae in the dark yesterday, and another wanted to comfort his best friend. He succumbed to the latter part of him. The fallen put a hand on Youngjae's shoulder, catching the other's attention. 

"Youngj-"

Daehyun didn't even get the chance to finish his sentence before Youngjae bit his lip in an attempt to stop from crying and took off. He didn't stop running, careful to avoid students in the middle of the hallway as he didn't want to be held up by anybody. He heard whispers, asking each other for gossip and news about what could be the problem.

They didn't know.

Nobody knew except for a select few.

And not even his best friend from those select few could help him now.

As soon as he pushed the door open Youngjae fell to his knees and put his head in his hands. He let the air around him comfort his skin with an enveloping hug of warmth. A sniffle. Two. He wiped his eyes just in case and breathed deeply before exhaling loudly in attempt to calm himself down. The angel stood slowly and made his way to the garden. His favorite - honestly. His first step on the  grass was comforting. He closed his eyes as he walked, knowing no one was there and knowing where everything was.

He'd been there so much that the map of the garden was engraved into his mind.

Granted, the garden wasn't difficult to navigate through. Hedges outlined the area, benches stood not too far from the artfully clipped bushes. One fountain stood in the center of the garden. It was beautiful, gray ceramic, the flowerbeds that circled around it. He kept walking and hit his foot on ceramic, nearly falling over and into the clear waters of the fountain. That was until a strong hand grasped the back of his shirt, causing him to stand diagonal to the fountain.

"Woah there, in your own world much?"

Youngjae jumped out of the hand's grip and fell into the fountain's waters as soon as he heard the first words come from Junhong's lips. 

"So much for saving you from that doom." Junhong muttered. The demon let out an outstretched hand, aiming to help Youngjae from the fountain. Youngjae stared at the hand for a moment - he contemplated whether it would be a good choice to accept his assistance. In the end the angel smacked his hand away and stood on his own.

Youngjae grabbed the hem of his shirt and squeezed it, attempting to get rid of a portion of the water that drenched his fabric. "Go away." He whispered, not having enough energy to use a threatening tone.

Junhong reached out and brushed the hair out of Youngjae's eyes, surprising the other slightly. "Your eyes are red. Were you... crying?"

Youngjae turned his face away and turned in the direction of his dormhouse. "Like you would care." Without another word he continued to walk. Or he tried to, until Junhong and his unnecessarily long arm reached out to aid his fingers in wrapping around the angel's wrist. He pulled Youngjae back and spun him, catching his waist with the free hand. Nevermind the wet clothes, right?

"What's wrong?"

By this time Youngjae was already getting used to the demon's tendency to close the distance between them. He didn't exactly appreciate it, but there was no denying he couldn't do anything about it. Youngjae stared at Junhong's chest, making sure his eyes were shadowed by his hair again. He didn't want the other to see that his calmness was gone and he was struggling to stop crying once more. 

Junhong didn't know what the loud beating of his heart meant when he was so close to Youngjae. So close... close enough to- he shut his eyes and opened them again. He removed a hand from Youngjae's wrist and instead cupped his chin to lift his head. Junhong was surprised by his own soft touches and gentle movements. Surprised that his facial expression could contort into one of concern. 

As Youngjae was forced to look up at the other, he pressed his lips in a thin line and swallowed. A pain formed in his throat and tears threatened to spill from his eyes. Unfortunately his barriers didn't last long and he started to cry, shocking the demon before him.

"I don't- I... I don't want to-- I don't... want to- I don't want to die!" He exclaimed through sobs and salty tears. 

Junhong soon realized what the angel spoke of. He soon knew what the angel was worried about.

Why did his normally dark and cold heart twist in pain at the sound of the other's choked sobs? Why did he panic at the thought of the other's sadness?

Stop.

Stop making me feel this way.

I hate this feeling.

Junhong wiped his thumbs under Youngjae's eyes to remove the tears, and walked away. 

I said stop making me feel this way.


Jongup looked horrified. His eyes were wide with shock or fear - no one knew - as he speed-walked to older students' dormhouse. He kept the room number stored in his mind, repeating it occasionally to make sure the memory was still there. 

Without a second thought the male rushed hrough the door and went up the stairs, looking for the second floor.

"206... 206... There!" Jongup prayed internally that there was actually somebody in the dorm as he knocked on the door harshly. There was no response for awhile, until the door opened slowly, the creaking of hinges lacking oil alerting the Gate Keeper.

"Dae-"

"Jongup? What are you doing here?"

Oh. "Youngjae, do you know where Daehyun is?" 

Youngjae opened the door a little wider, hand still on the knob as he thought about his best friend's whereabouts. "Ah." He stated without excitement, lacking feeling. Jongup would stay and ask what the problem seemed to be, but he had his own problems to solve. "He said he was going to stay at the library for a bit."

With a rushed thanks and a quick wave, Jongup was gone and Youngjae was left to stand at the doorway, looking down the hallway in the direction Jongup went.

"Jongup! The stairs are the opposite way!"

Jongup skidded in his tracks and looked back, realizing that Youngjae was correct and he was too hasty to realize. "Oh! Thank you!" He yelled as he ran the other way and down the stairs. Pushing past closed doors and running towards the library, he used the shortest path he could to get there.

 


"Purgatory? The gate keeper? In between... Like Anubis? What the heck?" Daehyun scrolled down the page a little more, stopping at the description portion of it. "Sends them to Heaven or Hell... passes judgement... The balanced between Angels and Demons... Keeps them at bay as both sides fear the power that could kill them without touching them..." Daehyun's lips parted slightly, mouth agape as he stared at the screen before him.

"Daehyun!"

The fallen heard a familiar voice call his name and he immediately shut off the computer screen and shoved some books in his bag. Jongup didn't need to know just yet - not until Daehyun himself sorted it all out in his mind. He stood up to greet Jongup, but the freshman only took it as his chance to hug the other and hid his face in Daehyun's chest.

Daehyun's heart fluttered. As if in slow motion, he lifted a hand and pet Jongups hair, it softly. "What happened?"

"I..." The younger muttered softly, pausing to organize his thoughts. "I saw more of them." He pressed him self deeper into Daehyun's chest, as if trying to hide inside of it. "More ghosts. They kept talking to me... Following me... Asking for help - for an explanation... I need somewhere to hide, Daehyun." The brunette breathed in sharply and looked up. "Help me." He whispered softly.

The fallen looked into Jongups shining eyes, glistening with the wetness of tears. "You can... hide at my house for a bit... I'm sure no one would mind. You can take my bed."

"Are you- Are you sure?"

A soft smile spread onto Daehyun's lips. "Of course. Now, lets go get your things."

Daehyun and Jongup went towards the door after the former grabbed his bag. As they were leaving, Hyoseong entered the world of research. Daehyun kept his head turned, watching as she walked towards the computers.

"Hey, Daehyun, come on."

Daehyun's eyes narrowed before he turned his head to Jongup. "Yeah, sorry."

Hyoseong sat in the seat Daehyun was in just moments prior, and found herself intrigued by the page onscreen.

 


"Himchan!" Yongguk yelled throughout the hallway, calling for nearly everyone's attention - of course the ones stuck on their phones and the others rushing to a class were far from caring. Himchan turned his head to the source of the noise, a bored expression on his face. He had a group of friends around him, but they parted to let Yongguk through.

He was totally expecting the punch to his beautiful face. He just let Yongguk do it - totally. Okay, so maybe he didn't see that coming.

"Unholy !" He yelled out, clutching his nose in pain and forgetting all forms of class. 

"That's for yesterday - I wanted to finish that fight you know." Yongguk said the words without context, hoping others didn't get too curious over the quarrel he spoke of.

Himchan's eyes widened when he removed his hands from his face. "Aaand now I'm bleeding, oh my ing gosh." Yongguk noted Himchan's second attempt of avoiding saying anything related to God and holiness. 

"Need some help there, drama queen?"

Himchan glared at the archangel. "Don't act as if you didn't put some power behind that." By power he meant a boost from his arma.

"I asked a question~"

"Just - ing get me to the bathroom, ."

Himchan's friends and the crowd that gathered around stood shocked, only moving when Yongguk pushed them out of the way so Himchan could go through.

 


As always, the bus ride to his home was never too long. Daehyun would drive, but his family nor he could afford a new car at the time. He didn't have a job - instead only doing intern work that occasionally paid. At the moment he wasn't an intern for anything.

Daehyun reached into his pocket and unlocked the door to his house, taking off his shoes at the front as if it was second nature. Jongup followed hesitantly after, waiting in the living room as Daehyun explained to his family members upstairs that Jongup would be staying over.

"You gonna stay here too?" His sister asked.

"No, can't." He thought of Youngjae and the Spring Fling in two days. "Treat him well for me, okay? He's not feeling well." A relieved smile came to him naturally when his sister gave him a thumbs up and an 'of course'.

He called Jongup upstairs, quickly finding the younger male in front of him, duffel bag hanging loosely on his arm. Without a word Daehyun motioned for Jongup to follow him and led the other to his room. It was simple. White walls with dark, wooden furniture. The bedding was striped with green and white and a black bunny with a zipper mouth lay in front of the pillow. 

"Cute bunny."

"Name's Kekemato." Daehyun informed, reaching for the bunny with a fond look in his eyes. It was from his childhood, anyone could tell. He ped the bunny's zipper mouth and removed the hood, showing a fluffy pink bunny inside. Jongup looked surprised, dropping his bag in order to rush over with an 'o' shaped mouth. 

"That's... so cool!" Never had the younger male seen a plushie like so - that much was obvious with how he reacted as if it was one of the seven wonders of the world. 

Daehyun let out a tiny laugh as Jongup held the plushie in awe, catching the male's attention. Jongup glanced up to get a view of Daehyun laughing, and as soon as the older spotted him looking, he stopped laughing and just grinned. They locked eyes for a moment, both taking in once more how close they were. The elder swallowed, eyes darting to the door and back to Jongup, who never averted his gaze. 

Jongup dropped the plushie onto the bed and grabbed onto Daehyun's shirt, pulling him close enough to press their lips together. 

Daehyun was shocked for a moment, but soon responded. He placed both hands on Jongup's waist and gripped tightly - he didn't want to let go. 

But eventually both of them had to come up for air and eventually both of them realized what just happened.

"I have to go." Daehyun whispered awkwardly. "I have class. Sorry... bye." 

The oldest left the room in a hurry - Jongup stood in the same spot with a flushed face and his eyes glued to the door.

 


Himchan threw out the bloody tissue that used to be in his hand and checked his face in the bathroom mirror. After giving himself an all clear, he stood up straight again and looked at Yongguk.

"You done?" The archangel asked with an amused grin, arms crossed as he leaned back on the wall.

"You done?" Himchan repeated with a mocking tone, a sarcastic face pulled as he mimicked the other's words. The demon made to leave before having a hand grab his collar and pull him back.

He nearly fell back, only to be caught by the arm of the man who caused it in the first place. Himchan looked slightly shocked as he stared up at Yongguk. "You don't have to be so rude." Himchan scoffed.

"You didn't have to punch me in the face." Satan lifted a hand and grabbed onto Yongguk's shoulder to pull himself. Which in hindsight, maybe wasn't such a good idea. Yongguk himself almost fell down. He was forced to use his other hand and press it against the counter with the sinks in order to keep from hurting himself. 

Oh and if one was wondering - no Himchan did not enjoy being under a very close Yongguk that just stared at him after his near fall. Red on pale cheeks was very notable - like Himchan's own cheeks at the moment. It started to spread, his whole face and neck becoming red from the lack of distance between them. 

"I hate you so much." He muttered in an attempt to reestablish the way he felt towards the other. Without any more struggle he pushed at Yongguk's chest and stood up straight, leaving him behind.

Yongguk stared at the floor tiles, confused. "He wasn't acting..." The archangel breathed in with a hiss. "Ah !" He exclaimed in sudden realization. Yongguk knew what Himchan meant now, and it was not good.

 


Hyoseong made her way through the hallway, passing Himchan who was shoving people out of his way with a flushed face. She ignored him.

Hyoseong passed Yongguk, who looked concerned about something and normally she'd ask for an explanation but for now, she ignored him.

And she ignored her. And him. And also that guy.

But not Jung Daehyun.

"Daehyun!" She yelled out to him - turning some heads as they wanted to know what the yelling was for. 

Daehyun himself turned around at the sound of his name, only to get grabbed by the arm and pulled into an empty classroom.

"Oh, Hyoseong, it's just you." He sighed in relief.

"Don't celebrate just yet. What were you doing searching up information about the Gate Keeper?" Instantly Daehyun froze, face paling.

"I mean - uh Uhm. I just - I happened - to uhm- I uhm- You know..."

"Daehyun," she demanded for his undivided attention with just the mention of his name, "give me a straightforward answer. I don't play games." The archangel growled.

"I... " He whispered softly. "There's a gate keeper... His name is Moon Jongup-"

"The guy that hangs around Himchan all the time? Are you serious?"

"I don't even know what a Gate Keeper is, exactly..." Daehyun mutters to himself, but Hyoseong hears.

"He can kill someone without touching - he can send you to heaven or hell - he passes judgement. He's in control of purgatory and he guards both the gates of Heaven and Hell. In other words - he needs to be on our side, or we're done for. Capiche?"

Daehyun nodded speechlessly.

"Or in more words - Daehyun, take me to Moon Jongup. We can't leave him alone. Do you know where he is?"

"Yeah..." He starts. "I need you to promise you won't hurt him."

"Daehyun we don't have-"

"Promise!"

The archangel sighed. "Fine, you know what, fine. I promise not to hurt him."

"We leave tomorrow." He made his way to the door and looked back when his hand was on the knob. "Remember, God doesn't like liars, Hyoseong."

♥️

A/N; Quick update huh? I have it all in my head!!

I'm so excited???!!! Can't wait for the Spring Fling~~

Adieu~ ^u^