Chapter 4: Petrichor

Antebellum

(There are blood and violence in this chapter, as well as death. Please be warned.)


Chapter 4: Petrichor

 

 

There are several things that Jeon Jungkook hates. One of them would be storms, because they bring fear, they disrupt the stillness of the night and it makes the atmosphere’s temperature to drop. Most of all, it could lead Seokjin to get cold, so Jungkook embraces him to provide warmth. He also hates thunders during those storms, because they’re loud, and because they make Seokjin flinch and whimper during his sleep. So he would rub Seokjin’s back to calm him, pressing comforting kisses against his temple. He also hates the collar around his neck, because it restrains him. But worse of all, it could lead to Seokjin’s death. He hates death too, despite that he sees it every day, often the one causing them. But he hates it because it takes away loved ones, and it might take away Seokjin—it had taken Seokjin. Once upon a distant time.

In general, he hates everything that would bring harm and negative to Seokjin.

But there are also things that he loves. He loves the thick and warm blankets over them. It makes Seokjin feel warm and secured, thus it makes Jungkook feel warm and secured too. He also loves the beautiful stars in the sky, because they remind him of Seokjin’s equally, or perhaps more, beautiful eyes. He also love marshmallows, they remind him of Seokjin’s plump, soft and sweet lips. He loves each strand of Seokjin’s hair, each part of his body, each breath he takes, the beats of his heart, the fluttering of his eyelashes and more.

In general, he loves everything that brings comfort to Seokjin, everything that reminds him of Seokjin and Seokjin himself.

This morning, Seokjin awakes on his arms. He smiles at the disoriented look in the elder’s face, probably wondering where he was and why he was embraced. It took seconds for his brain to process their position, limbs tangled and arms around each other, before Seokjin turned into a living tomato and entangled away from Jungkook, comically falling out of the bed with an adorable squeak and a hard thud.

Jungkook breathily chuckled before he said, “If you’re wondering, I was allowed to stay here yesterday. A storm came last night and you were cold so I decided to share my warmth.” And I spent the entire night staring at you.

It’s not creepy at all (because he’s Jungkook)

“O-Oh.” Was all Seokjin managed to stutter out as a reply. There was a bit of shuffling before a mop of hair and a pair of hazel orbs peeked to stare at Jungkook. There was silence as a staring contest started between them, before Seokjin said, “Uh, thanks.”

Seokjin blinked twice and Jungkook curled his hands into fists because Kim Seokjin too was adorable and he has to control himself not to jump at the elder. And hug him to death. Jungkook also has a love-hate relationship with hugs. Because they’re warm and comforting yet at the same time, his libido builds up especially when he’s near proximity and body are squished together. And if the other would notice his problem, it would be mortifying.

A knock was heard twice, breaking the Familiar out of his trance, and Seokjin hastily pushed himself off the floor and stood, gingerly facing the door with face flushed a deep red. The door opened and revealed a face Jungkook recalled from yesterday. He doesn’t know the guy’s name but Seokjin acknowledges, “Kyungsoo!”

Ah, right. That second-in-command that the other guys talked about. Jungkook recalled. He watched the two converse briefly before drowning out the conversation to focus on his thoughts—or rather, the three buttons left ed on Seokjin’s pajamas, revealing smooth looking milky chest. His collarbones and neck exposed, so flawless, left unmarked. It was so tempting, he wanted to bite it, mark it.

And damn his hormones.

Jungkook was left biting his bottom lip, restraining himself with the best of his abilities. He curses his hormones for being so active. Moreover, he curses the fact that it’s been like centuries since the last time. He haven’t had any ual activities nor touched anyone since centuries ago, and now his hormones are back like a wave.

And now he excuses himself to the bathroom to fix his problems. Something he hasn’t done in a long period of time.


 

“I don’t know what to feel, really.” Seokjin said to Kyungsoo. Jungkook is somehow aware that his Regalia is ignoring him and he felt a sting in his heart at that yet at the same timehe’s relieved, cause he’s still adjusting. Jungkook was dealing with the problems he hasn’t dealt with for centuries, besides Seokjin doesn’t remember him so it would be so awkward, as if they weren’t awkward enough. So he just deals with eavesdropping to their conversation.

“Just act normally as you do. Spend time with the people you treasure as much as you can.” Kyungsoo said, “Then we’ll leave before the night comes.”

“Can’t we have a longer time? I don’t think one day is enough—heck it’s not even twenty-four hours!” Seokjin complained, not that you can blame him. The sudden change would be unnerving to anyone. “I have so much I want to say to people but I don’t want to say goodbye.”

“I really want to help you out but sadly, I can’t.” Kyungsoo said sympathetically, “I’m merely given orders. If I don’t follow them, not only I get punished but you, your Familiar and the General too.”

“Stupid Higher ups, stupid laws.” Seokjin muttered under his breath, stupid Familiar for dragging me in this,

“Hey, if you were heard by others, you would’ve been flogged for that.” Kyungsoo chuckled, “But yeah, stupid people up there. But what can we do?”

“Flogged? People still do that in this era?” Jungkook blinked, interrupting their conversation. Seokjin looked at him for the first time since this morning and Jungkook offered a smile, to which he received a smaller, yet gentle smile in return—albeit looking forced.

“Well, sometimes. The higher ups have incorporated several punishments, even older ones. Just for the sake of ‘discipline’ they say.” Kyungsoo said that, quoting his hands in the air, “I personally think that the higher ups are just sadistic, power-hungry bastards who offer little help to the country to be honest. Don’t tell that I said that to anyone though.”

“Your words are safe with us.” Seokjin smiled before leaning closer to whisper, “So, you serve for the higher ups yet you don’t like them?”

“Well, yeah, I don’t really like them.” The second-in-command replied, “But I got in military because I had no other choice.”

“What do you mean by that?”Seokjin asked before he paused at the serious look in Kyungsoo’s face, “Well, it looks personal so if you don’t want to tell me, it’s okay. I shouldn’t be prying since we just met.”

“No, it’s alright. You’re going to stay with us for a while so I guess we should open up and become close friends, right?” Kyungsoo said with a smile that soon faded into a frown as he spoke, “I lived in a poor district—one that the higher ups had almost abandoned. We were struggling with the economy, less food, no medicines, living in the slumps, you know things like that.”

“I have a Regalia. B-but she—she died.” Kyungsoo said, “A plague hit our district and there was no cure. We tried asking for help from the higher ups, from the other districts but we were ignored—simply trash that they doesn’t give them benefits. But then they had this ridiculous idea. Since the ongoing rebellion going on from Familiars going against their Regalias, the higher ups decided that they needed more soldiers. And so they went to our village with an offer to give us cures if we give our loyalty to them. I immediately enlisted myself because I was desperate to save her.”

Seokjin’s breath hitched, “But you said she died…”

“Exactly. They gave her the cure but it didn’t work. In fact, it sped up the process of her death. She died in her sleep. I discovered that the higher ups didn’t really have the cure they promised they had. It’s just that they used us as test subjects to see if their medicines worked. My Regalia died because she was a test subject.” Kyungsoo said, his hands curled into fists, “I went on a rampage. I killed some scientists but then I was restrained. I was supposed to be beheaded but General helped me out of the situation. Many things happened then but I decided to live on. Even though I serve under the higher ups, I don’t really like them, in fact I hate them.”

“Then why didn’t you leave instead?” Jungkook pried, eyebrow rose, “You could’ve just left—unless you were restrained with something.”

“No, no, I’m not.”

“Then why did you stay?” Jungkook asked but Seokjin stopped him.

“Don’t force him to explain to you.” Seokjin reprimanded. Then he faced Kyungsoo, “I’m sorry for your loss, and please ignore this little kid here for being inconsiderate, he’s just a little nosy.”

Jungkook scowled at being called a kid but decided to keep quiet.

“It’s alright. It’s normal to be curious. But the reason why I continued to stay here, even if I don’t want to.” Kyungsoo said, “Is only for me to know. Sorry kid, it’s quite personal.”

For your information, I’ve been here long before you were even born. Jungkook glared as he ranted mentally, If it weren’t for Seokjin, you’re dead meat.

“Familiar Jeon,” the second-in-command’s call pulled him out of his thoughts. He scrunched his nose at how he was adressed but looked at the shorter male anyway, waiting for him to continue, “We’ll head to the city right now. I would like you to wear this bracelet.”

“Tell me what it is first.” Jungkook replied, Last time I wore something given by your commander, it ended up as a restraint that could also lead to Seokjin’s death. The hell am I gonna trust this guy.

“It’s a limiter. You know, just incase you plan to wreck havoc in the city, atleast we have something to restrain you with.” Kyungsoo explained. He then glanced at Jungkook’s choker, “Well, aside from that. This is like a second restraint or something. I promise to remove it right after we leave the city again. And it won’t hurt your Regalia, if that’s what you’re worried about. It’s just precaution.”

Jungkook didn’t trust the second-in-command. He glared hard at the man, who started with an unwavering gaze, before he glanced at his own Regalia. Seokjin seemed to trust Kyungsoo so Jungkook just gave in, though begrudgingly. Much to his dislike, the metal was cuffed around his left wrist. Kyungsoo then moved to cuff an identical one to Seokjin.

“Hey, why is he cuffed too?” Jungkook asked, annoyed that Seokjin is restrained as well. Seokjin looked equally surprised as he asked.

“Uhh, but I don’t have any dangerous powers?”

“Precaution, like I said,” the other man replied, “And the General told me that you’re not one to be underestimated.”

“I don’t even know how to fight so I’m no threat.” Seokjin said, “And don’t you trust me?”

“I do. But you know that I only follow orders.” Kyungsoo gave an apologetic smile, “Besides, did you know that General Kai was happy to have you and your Familiar enlist? He said that he could feel something from you.”

“Try and make me feel better.” Seokjin muttered lowly, groaning, “I know you’re only after my Familiar. Which is fine by me because I only want my normal life back.”

Jungkook frowned as he listened through their conversation. The second-in-command replied, “I’m not lying though. There’s something special about you, not just your Familiar. And it’s not only the General, I can feel something too.”

“Well, I don’t really feel anything.” Seokjin said before he shrugged.

That’s because you don’t remember, Jungkook thought with a frown.

Seokjin pouted but when he saw a black flying vehicle surrounded by a crimson energy that resembled fire, he had completely forgotten as he faced Kyungsoo with a huge grin, pointing towards the floating transportation, “Hey didn’t you say that we’ll be riding those Familiar-operated vehicles? It’s here—that’s the one we’re going to ride, right?”

“Yeah, that’s our ride.” Kyungsoo nodded, “We’ll be heading to your hometown now.”

Jungkook watched as Seokjin beamed at the mention of his hometown, excitement gracing his features. He watched as the Regalia stared in awe at the floating transportation, saying how he never got a chance to ride one since it was something reserved only for those working under the higher-ups.

“Well, get used to it cause you’ll be riding this one from now on.” Kyungsoo commented, gesturing too Jungkook, “With him, of course. Since this vehicle works by the use of a Familiar’s energy instead of a gasoline, which is quite tiring. But I’m pretty sure it would be easy for your Familiar.”

Jungkook scoffed at him, “It is easy. I bet you and that arrogant General won’t even break a sweat.”

“Well, we are experienced fighters and we’ve trained hard to get our energy levels higher.” Kyungsoo said, “But any beginner would be out of breath. Though none of us are beginners, we all know that there’s no limits to your capabilities.”

“Limits.” Jungkook rolled his eyes, “Yeah, I’d be limitless if it weren’t for these restraints and so-called precaution.”

“I only had to follow orders.” Kyungsoo deadpanned, “Let’s go in. Your time is limited so better not waste.”

Jungkook scoffed at him before entering the ride. Even with the advanced technology, it still took about an hour and half to reach their destination. And somewhere in between the travel, Seokjin managed to charm Kyungsoo to remove the cuffs.


 

Upon arriving at Seokjin’s town, the man didn’t waste time to rush to his home. Jungkook and Kyuungsoo followed closely behind him. He met with his older brother and parents, who were all proud of him finding his Familiar. As he was introduced, he feigned an impression of a humble and polite young man. Seokjin’s family quickly took a liking to him, much to Seokjin’s relief.

Then the difficult part came, Seokjin had to explain that he’d disappear for a long time (and who knows when he’ll see his parents again, probably never.) But during their ride, Jungkook recalled Seokjin’s plea to not tell his friends and family the truth in fear that he might worry them, or worse follow him. Seokjin didn’t want the thought of anyone else he loved enlisting in the army with him and be killed anytime.

Kyungsoo had agreed, saying that it was better kept as a secret. It wouldn’t be good if the word spread, Jungkook’s name was known to be notorious and it would spark something if people discovered that a criminal now works under the higher ups. With that said, Jungkook introduces himself with a different name—Kookie.

And had to grit his teeth at being cooed at and at being called cute.

They spent their time with the Kim family until lunch, when Mrs. Kim cooked delicious meals that would put five-star restaurants to shame. Mrs. Kim insisted that they eat well to prepare for their travel—which was the excuse Seokjin gave. To travel the world with his Familiar. It was the best lie to tell, for it was a normal occurrence for most. Like a tradition, some people set off to a journey after finding their other half.

Though as the generations passed, the tradition is no longer required but there are still some who practice it. While Seokjin’s family didn’t practice it, they also won’t stop Seokjin if he wanted to travel—or at least that’s what they thought. They gave an excuse that Jungkook’s—now, Kookie—family still practice it. The Kims understood that.

Among Seokjin’s group of friends, it was Yoongi’s and Hoseok’s family that still followed that tradition. Seokjin recalled how long they both wandered outside to explore the world, but came back safe.

Traveling the world huh, Seokjin thought, It would’ve been nice if that had been the case, and not war.

More than anything, Seokjin hated violence.

After lunch, Seokjin met up with his friends who were all worried over his disappearance. Jaehwan had been most worried for he woke up the other day with Seokjin gone, especially when he was sick. After he was done fussing around, Seokjin introduced Jungkook as his Familiar and Kyungsoo as a friend he just met.

“Wow, he’s amazing.” Jimin grinned at Jungkook, “And he’s cute. Hey, Kookie! I’m Jimin—Yoongi-hyung’s Familiar.”

“Nice to meet you.” Jungkook greeted with a toothy smile that resembled a bunny—looking completely innocent. Kyungsoo had almost gagged at the sight of the cheeky brat seeming so harmless.

The rest introduced themselves one by one and they started conversing. They were currently eating at a café that Seokjin and his friends usually spend their time in. Jungkook got to know about them and discovered a lot about Seokjin. Kyuungsoo was quiet the whole time, observing the group. But he spoke whenever he was asked.

As the conversation progressed, Jungkook zoned out as he felt a sense of déjà vu. This scene, it happened before.

He recalled one moment from the past before. Chattering. Café. Friends. Seokjin.

The scene was too identical to the one in his memories that  Jungkook shuddered, because No, it’s all in the past.

Whatever happened before, won’t happen a second time.

His throat felt dry and he quickly took a gulp from his beverage. When his thirst was finally quenched, he placed the glass down and noticed that someone was staring at him. He tried to recall the person’s name again but that person spoke first.

“You should be careful.” She whispered to him, lowly so that the others who were laughing wouldn’t hear.

Jungkook looked confused at her.

“Something’s going to happen. Something bad.” She said eerily, eyes distant. Jungkook felt something cold in him but he ignored it.

“What are you talking about?” He asked, trying hard to keep his kind act. But then he let it slip, “And what’s your name again?”

“It’s you.” She replied, looking serious, “And I’m not joking. I may still be inexperienced but I know—I have the ability. The ability to see the future.”

Jungkook looked at her as if she was crazy. From across, he could hear Seokjin comment about how it’s starting to rain. But the weather doesn’t bother Jungkook at all, he was focused on the girl’s words.

“And I’m telling you to be careful.” you said, “A storm will come and it will take the most important thing away from you.”

Seokjin, The name immediately registered in Jungkook’s mind. But he shook it off and scoffed, “Lies.”

you looked both hurt and surprised at Jungkook’s words and as she opened to say something, a loud sound disrupted. Kyuungsoo, being the trained soldier he is, immediately stood up protectively infront of Seokjin—who was his responsibility. It was a task for him but Jungkook didn’t like it. He was supposed to protect Seokjin.

It was quiet for a while, the people inside the café, including the gang, were confused about the sound. Some assumed that it was perhaps the thunder since the rain was so strong and the clouds were turning gray. But Kyuungsoo and Jungkook, both that were experienced in the battlefield knew better. They could distinguish the sound of thunder and an explosion.

“What was that?” Taehyung asked but another explosion erupted, this time louder, and screams were heard.

In that moment, Kyuungsoo dropped the act and started acting like the soldier he is. He spouted out commands and worked with the people’s evacuation. He contacted the base about the sudden attack and asked some back-ups to be sent. Jungkook took that moment to stand beside Seokjin protectively as Kyuungsoo worked on the rest. They exited the place and went in the vehicle that Kyuungsoo had called for them. Taehyung and the rest of Seokjin’s friends looked confused, why doesn’t Kyuungsoo have a Familiar-operated vehicle that’s reserved for people in the army.

“I’m sorry if this has to be cut short but I need to secure that both of you gets back.” Kyuungsoo spoke urgently as he pushed Seokjin and Jungkook inside.

Seokjin looked frantic, “What about the others!?”

“I’ll take care of them, don’t worry.” Kyuungsoo replied, “But you two are my top priority so I’m sending you back to the base.”

“How about you?” Seokjin asked worriedly.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll come back once I ensure that this town will be safe from the attacks.” Kyuungsoo replied before looking apologetic, “I’m sorry that your time with the others will be cut short but don’t worry. I’ll find a way for you to meet them again. As for now, leave.”

Seokjin looked like he wanted to say something, or perhaps help Kyuungsoo and the others but the doors were already closed and the transportation was already moving.

Seokjin’s friends looked lost and confused as they watched Seokjin leave them behind with Kyuungsoo. Seokjin’s face had been one of regret and before they left, Jungkook shared eye contact with you and her words came back to him.

You should be careful.

A storm will come.

It will take away the most important thing to you.

Jungkook’s hands curled into fists; I’d rather die than have anything else take him away.

Throughout the ride, it was silent except for Seokjin’s frantic requests of going back and helping the others. The other familiar maneuvering the vehicle tried to secure him that Kyuungsoo was a capable man and he can handle the job. Others were also coming for help, but it didn’t calm Seokjin down. Instead, he grew more worried.

“What if they were too late? We need to go back and help them.” Seokjin turned to Jungkook then, “You’re strong, aren’t you? Then why don’t you go back? Let’s go back and help them!”

“Seokjin, no. I won’t” Jungkook replied sternly, it’s safer here for you, “It’s that short man’s command for us to stay here.”

“You never even cared about orders so why care now?” Seokjin exclaimed before he glared at Jungkook, “You’re just being a coward—no, you’re just being selfish. My friends are there, my parents are in that town, I can’t just leave! Jungkook, you’re capable enough to help them!”

Seokjin’s words had hurt Jungkook but he tried to shrug it off. Seokjin was just irrational at the moment; he was panicking so he wasn’t thinking straight. Jungkook shouldn’t let it get to him.

“Jungkook, please!” Seokjin was on his knees by now, gripping the edge of Jungkook’s shirt. Pleading, tears threatening to fall. Jungkook was not supposed to give in. Going back would be too dangerous and it would probably interrupt whatever Kyuungsoo had planned. He’s not supposed to give in.

You should be careful.

“Jungkook, please!”           

A storm will come.

“I’ll do anything you’ll ask me to do.”

It will take away the most important thing to you.

“Jungkook—“

He’s not supposed to give in.

But he did.

He took Seokjin’s hands that were gripping his shirt and pulled Seokji up from his kneeling position. He turned a hard gaze towards the other familiar and commanded, “Go back.”

“I can’t do that.” The other Familiar responded. The raven glared at him, “I can’t defy the orders given to me.”

“Turn back,” Jungkook’s gaze hardened, “Or I’ll kill you.”

The Familiar looked freightened for a moment, he grew silent. Then after taking Jungkook’s words into consideration—and seeing how the latter was serious in his threat, he cursed, “Damn it!”

Seokjin felt relief as they changed route and was heading back to town. Jungkook on the other hand, felt dread. He doesn’t fear many things, but Seokjin was not a simple subject. He didn’t want to lose him and that warning scared him. But he also can’t deny Seokjin, no matter how much he wanted to. If Seokjin asked him, if Seokjin begged him.

He’d always end up giving in.

Now, he felt a mix of emotions. He felt himself worrying, yet he also felt bloodlust. He felt excitement at the thought of fighting, of killing. The thought of being in the battlefield where he belonged. But most of all, he felt protective. He’s alert, he’s watchful, he’s prepared.

It was raining so hard at the moment, Jungkook thought how it was all a coincidence. He saw lightning flashed and a few seconds after, the sound of loud thunder resonated. In that moment, Jungkook’s enhanced senses kicked in and he pushed Seokjin away before a bullet could hit him.

In that flash of a moment, there was broken glass where the bullet had penetrated the supposedly bulletproof transportation, Seokjin was on the floor under Jungkook who had saved him. The other Familiar was bleeding, the bullet had hit him on the head instead, dead. And with no one left to maneuver the vehicle, it deactivated and went crashing down to the wet ground.

Both Jungkook and Seokjin were dizzy from the crash but had reacted quick. Jungkook helped Seokjin out of the automobile before it exploded and were swallowed by flames.

They didn’t come out unscratched as some of the glass shards were stuck on Jungkook’s arms and legs, he flinched as he pulled out some of them but they regenerate quickly. Seokjin had open wounds that were bleeding. The rain came down harshly and they were completely soaked.

Just as Jungkook was about to ask about Seokjin’s wounds, he detects an incoming danger and quickly pushed Seokjin out of the way. A surge of flames came and they evaded it only for a few inches before it came crashing towards a huge tree, leading for it to burn. The rain thankfully killed the flames before it turned into a wildfire but it didn’t relieve Jungkook. He may be immortal and strong but he still feels pain, it was too cold and he was feeling dizzy.

Seokjin was visibly shaking and looked like he was fighting hard to stay conscious. Jungkook held his hand, “Stay awake and keep close to me.”

Seokjin nodded immediately, having no second thoughts in trusting Jungkook. The other had more experience whereas Seokjin has none. He had always hated violence.

Jungkook kept Seokjin close to him as he scanned the area for their assailant. Even with Jungkook’s enhanced senses, the rain was too heavy and distracting. His thoughts were messed up with you’s words, and he even felt more protective of Seokjin. Which was not helping him at the moment.

He couldn’t focus.

And so he was taken by surprise when he felt a flash of light and an agonizing pain hit his abdomen. The sound of thunder came late again as he was on his knees, spitting blood. He told himself to focus this time, block out all his thoughts and this time, he sensed the incoming assault just in time to counter it.

The bright orange flames of his assaulter were blocked out by his own flames. Fight fire with fire.

Seokjin watched the scene with wide eyes as bright flames seemed to emerge from every angle and Jungkook successfully countering them or even sending them back. A lot of the trees were now ashes on the ground or burning under the rain. Seokjin didn’t know what was going on by now. Were they winning or were they losing? Does the enemy have the upper hand or is Jungkook the one at advantage?

Seokjin couldn’t pinpoint where the attacks come from yet the enemy isn’t close to winning either as both of them seemed unhurt except for the injuries from the crash earlier and Jungkook from the sudden attack.

Jungkook glanced at Seokjin worriedly, hesitating over fighting like he usually would or not. He was worried that he might get too destructive and overcome by bloodlust that he wouldn’t be able to protect his Regalia.  Biting his bottom lip, he stood in a fighting stance, ready for upcoming attacks. By now, he has noticed.

The attacker had a pattern in their attacks.

He noticed it at first but waited a bit for clarification, and it turned out that he was correct. If his hidden enemy would still go through the same pattern, then he might have an upper hand. Jungkook thinks that his enemy obviously has fire as an ability—a common element. But he also thinks that perhaps he’s fighting with more than one.

The  easier way would’ve been to destroy everything within vicinity and he would be finished but with Seokjin around, he can’t risk it. With that, he waited patiently for the next attack. The rain was going down harder and it seemed that it won’t stop son. But a part of Jungkook told him that it wasn’t natural, that perhaps this rain was a work of a Familiar than of nature. With a huge variety of Familiars, finding one that could summon rain and storms could be possible.

It had rained too before the explosion so Jungkook knew that he was right.

In between his thoughts, a fireball surged out from the direction Jungkook had predicted. With a smirk, he countered said attack and zoomed towards the next direction, concentrating his energy in the next attack. When he jumped in one of those shadows, he pinned his mysterious enemy down and was ready to strike a punch when he heard a yelp.

A feminine yelp.

Jungkook was paralyzed for a moment when he realized that pinned below him, his assailant, was a female. He was stunned for a moment before he regained his focus. Just when he was about to finish off the enemy, he felt a pain around his neck, as if it were electrocuting him. He backed away and groaned in pain.

From the corner of his eyes, he saw the woman baffled about his sudden pain but then took advantage of it as she flipped their position and now, Jungkook was at her mercy. The raven cursed the restraint around his neck, which were the source of his pain. He wanted to pull it off and destroy it but before he could, he remembered the consequences of doing so.

Seokjin.

That damn General. This is getting in the way. Another course of pain took over and Jungkook almost lost consciousness. It was like electricity but he was soaked under the rain. The woman was about to choke Jungkook, but the raven smirked at that despite the pain.

The woman flinched and screamed in pain upon touching Jungkook. It seems that she can feel it too, but only if she touched the device itself. But when she punched Jungkook on his stomach, she didn’t seem affaected anymore.

So she’s only affected when she touches the device. Jungkook thinks in between the pain. He’s starting to slip out of consciousness and he tried his best to stay awake despite the pain and the beating he’s getting.

If it wasn’t for this stupid restraint, I wouldn’t be in this position, Jungkook thinks before he finally gives in to the darkness.  Seokjin…


 

Seokjin was left confused when there was silence, with only the sound of the heavy rain falling. He was shivering and afraid but he was more worried for Jungkook who didn’t come out of the shadows. He didn’t know what was happening but he was worried.

He had heard the sound of battle a few moments ago then it suddenly went quiet. What happened? Did Jungkook win? Did someone die? Seokjin felt the temperature drop. He hoped that Jungkook was alright.

But his hopes were crushed when the figure that emerged the shadows weren’t Jungkook. How could it be? Seokjin didn’t think it was possible for Jungkook to lose, and he was proven wrong when the woman came out alone.

She had red fiery hair and there was blood from the corner of and a few wounds and burns but she didn’t seem to be in pain. She looked down on him, as he was frozen in his spot. “Ga Hye Jegue Hen Nol Sharia“ She said in words foreign to him.

Seokjin was confused by the strange words but it didn’t register anymore when he was grabbed by the hair and dragged harshly across the soaked soil. Just then, another woman appeared out of thin air. She was beautiful, he noticed, but he didn’t have time to admire her as he was kicked again to the ground.

The flame-haired woman talked to the newcomer who had blonde hair and they spoke again in the language that Seokjin didn’t understand. But as they kept glancing at him, he knew that they were talking about him and he was both scared and curious at that.

“Jungkook.” Seokjin called out weakly as he was harshly pulled up by the red haired female that his shoulders almost got dislocated.

Ka man due.” The red haired girl said as she looked at him then to the blonde haired girl.

Sharia?” The other said and Seokjin assumed that it was a question because of her tone. Her fingers found its way to hold his chin and he turned his face to the side as if to check on him. But she handled him gentler as compared to the other.

Sharia.” The red haired replied with a nod. The same word but this time in a firm voice. Seokjin wondered what that word meant. “Na Ha Mei

Seokjin was once again dragged and then pushed to the ground. He groaned in pain as the red haired’s foot was harshly landed on his back and kept him in place. He watched through his blurry vision as the blonde haired girl gathered a faint yellow colored aura around her fingers and it grew bigger and formed what looked like a huge circular whirlpool on the ground.

It didn’t take Seokjin long to realize that it was some kind of portal and he was going to be thrown there, so he struggled. The flame woman didn’t seem to like that so she pushed her foot down harder and he groaned in pain. Jungkook, He tried to call out.

Rah! Ga Khira!” She exclaimed angrily at him. The woman gathered a few flames in her hands and was about to struck him with it but all of a sudden, she was unable to move. And it wasn’t only her but the blonde woman seemed like she couldn’t move as well. Seokjin was confused for a moment, but then he felt it too.

That familiar powerful energy.

The weight was off of Seokjin and he can see the other two falling on their knees and trembling.  And that’s when Seokjin looked up.

Jungkook.

But he didn’t look like Jungkook. No, he looked like a beast, a monster. He looked frightening and Seokjin was suddenly taken aback. There was something in Jungkook’s eyes and it was terrifying. He looked like he wasn’t human. And when he spoke, it didn’t sound like him at all. “What do you think you’re doing to him?”

He sounded calm. But he could feel it, there was something beneath that. Jungkook didn’t look calm at all. There was a feral look in his gaze. Like he could kill. “What did you think you were doing to what’s mine?”

Seokjin noticed that despite the heavy presence, Jungkook was leaning heavily against the a tree. And he was limping when he moved forward. Just looking at him, it made Seokjin feel the need to protect him. But Jungkook’s face expression said otherwise.

He looked like he lost his sanity.

Beside him, the mysterious assailants were trembling, backing away from him. Jungkook seemed angered by this as he growled, “I’ll kill you!”

The declaration caused the other two to get thrown away across, as if something had hit them. They both screamed in agony, wriggling and trying to stay away from whatever unseen force was holding them. Seokjin was unharmed but he couldn’t move. Not from fear. He didn’t know what to do.

In front of him was Jungkook. Yet at the same time, it didn’t feel like Jungkook.

Monster.

He could vaguely hear the sickening sounds of cracking bone and tearing flesh as he felt something warm hit his back despite the cold rain that seemed to be getting weaker now. Seokjin knew that it was blood that splattered behind him, and the screaming was no longer heard.

He trembled. He didn’t dare look behind him, not wanting to see what had come to the two behind him. He just watched as Jungkook came closer to him, limping and falling down many times. Jungkook was injured, his ankle seemed broken. He was crawling his way to Seokjin desperately. Something in Seokjin told him that he should help his own Familiar.

But something else stopped him from doing so. Fear.

He knew that his Familiar was strong. But he never knew to what extent. Until now. When Jungkook was finally close to him, the Familiar wrapped his arms around Seokjin and layed his head against Seokjin’s shoulder. He kept saying, “Thank goodness you’re safe.”

Seokjin had mixed feelings. He was relieved that Jungkook was safe and that Jungkook cared for his safety. He wanted to return to Jungkook’s embrace, but at the same time he wanted to push him away. He didn’t know which so he just froze there, unable to move his arms.

“They’re coming.” Jungkook whispered to him, “We’ll be okay. You’re okay. I’m glad. You’re safe. I’m sorry. I’m sorry I can’t protect you enough. I’m sorry. You’re okay now. You’re safe. We’re safe.”

He had heard Kyuungsoo’s voice somehow at that time. But he paid no mind. His mind kept replaying the scene earlier. It didn’t register to him when Jungkook whispered assurances.

No, he just let everything fade to black.


 

“I apologize for my negligence.” Kyuungsoo had his head bowed in front of Kai, “They were supposed to be my responsibility yet I failed to keep them safe. I am willing to take the responsibility for this one. I will accept any punishment and consequences.”

“The attack was a surprise. Don’t blame yourself for it.” Kai replied. He was supposed to not let this one pass but Kyuungsoo was a close friend of his and he is willing to excuse it. “They are currently healing as of now and the damages aren’t that great. In fact, we received something from it.”

“You mean…” Kyuungsoo’s eyes trailed to the sealed box on Kai’s table. Inside were gems of some sort that were found in the remnants of the two assailants that Jungkook had killed. They didn’t know what it was but the Higher ups seemed to have been pleased at the news and asked for it immediately. Kyuungsoo didn’t know what it was but if the Higher ups wanted it quickly, it must be important then. He wondered how many secrets the council was hiding from them.

As he was deep in his thoughts, Kai interrupted it. “How are you? You got a few injuries too.”

At that, he glanced at his left shoulder that was wrapped around in bandage; he shrugged it off, “It’s nothing. I’ve had worse in some other cases.”

Kai smiled, knowing what that meant. He sighed then, “Luhan is coming over, by the way.”

“Lu—“ Kyuungsoo stopped himself, “I mean, the commander?”

“Stop sounding formal, geez.” Kai chuckled, “You’re always so uptight. Lu Han doesn’t mind being called casually. In fact, he prefers it that way. With that said, he’s coming over to take the box and deliver it to the council safely.”

“Messenger boy.” Kyuungsoo blurted out and Kai chuckled in agreement.

As if on cue, they heard a knock outside and as Kai gave permission, the door opened to reveal the person they had been speaking of and his Familiar following closely behind him. LuHan greeted both of them with a smile and the responded in the same manner.

Words were exchanged between them and the sealed box was now in Luhan’s hands. The young commander looked at the box in his hand before looking at Kai and Kyuungsoo. He then glanced at his familiar, Sehun, who immediately got the message and took the box from him.

During the exchange, Kai noticed the silver band around Luhan’s ring finger. He smiled at that. Luhan then looked at him seriously, “I’d like to talk to you, in private please.”

Kai nodded at that. Kyuungsoo took the cue to leave and Sehun followed hesitantly. Once the two were outside, Kai chuckled.

“He’s so attached to you.” He said and pointed at the ring, “And woah, the kid actually proposed to you? When?”

“It was just recent.” Luhan smiled as he touched the ring, “We’ve been dating for four years now and it feels good. You know, to be engaged.”

“Yeah, I still remember when both of you couldn’t get along before.” Kai laughed at the memory, “Kid literally almost had you dead before. Though, it took months for him to get over the guilt.”

 “He still a bit guilty about it ‘til now. But it’s not as worse as before.” Luhan chuckled, “In fact, he got stronger now. Even stronger than you Kai.”

“Wouldn’t doubt that.” Kai smirked as he gestured at Luhan, “Both you had always been peculiar. So, when are you planning to get married?”

“I don’t know.” Luhan answered honestly, “We actually wanted to wait for a time where everything would get peaceful, but as of now. It doesn’t seem possible.”

Kai nodded, understanding what it meant. “The council’s impatient to destroy the rebels. They don’t even know how difficult that would be and how much damage we could get from that.”

“Yeah, which reminded me that I have something I want to talk to you about.” Luhan had a look in his face that Kai couldn’t decipher, “Remember that criminal I once brought to you here? The one whom you made a soldier now?”

“Jeon Jungkook?” Kai watched as Luhan nodded at him, “Yeah. If you’re worried about him, don’t worry. He’s a tough guy, he’s healing quickly. He has regenerating abilities.”

“That’s not what I’m worrying about.” Luhan said, shaking his head, “it’s the other one. His Regalia.”

“Kim Seokjin?” Kai raised an eyebrow before he realized, “Y-You can feel it too?”

Luhan nodded in response.

“So it wasn’t only Kyuungsoo and I who felt something odd about him.” Kai said, “There’s this strange sort of power around him. Something strong, I don’t know.”

“It’s more than that.” Luhan said, suddenly looking wary.

“What do you mean?” Kai inquired.

“I know what he is.” Luhan said ina serious tone, “H-he’s… He’s like me.”

“Like you?” Kai repeated confusedly before realization dawned him, “Y-you mean he’s like that too?”

Luhan nodded, “I know. I would know. He’s the same as me. I can feel it.”

“But if what you say is true,” Kai started, growing worried, “If what you say is true then he’s in trouble. He-He might end up like…”

“It’s alright.” Luhan noticed Kai’s discomfort in saying it. “I don’t want him to end up the same as what the council has done to me as well.”

Kai bit his lips at that.

“But I know what to do to help him, Kai.” Luhan said, “Let me stay here. I’ll come back here.”

“Wha—“

“The council is allowing me to monitor this place with you.” Luhan said, “I hate to say it but it seemed that the council doesn’t trust you with what happened to the attack, Kai. But that’s better. There will be two of us here, and I can…”

Kai nodded at Luhan’s words.

“If I stay here, I might be able to help that guy.” Luhan spoke with determination, “I might be able to help him avoid the same fate as I did.”


 

Sorry for not updating for so long. I've lacked motivation to write. And as an apology for that, I wrote a longer chapter.

With lots of love,
Chrysallion <3