Chapter 3: Prerequisite

Antebellum

Chapter 3: Prerequisite

The walls were dark and murky, like the night without stars. The place was like a dome, and mysterious figures sat on different chairs by the side as they listened to the current speaker’s report as to what had transpired last night. In the middle, where the spotlight had focused, stood the General who witnessed the event during yesterday’s evening.

“And so I’m saying that through his Regalia, we can finally use him to our advantage. As we all know that the enemies are planning a rebellion and a war will probably break out soon, his addition to the army will increase our chances for victory.” The general spoke firmly, “Therefore, if you grant me the permission, I would like take him under my legion and train him myself.”

“How sure are you that this is effective?” One of the higher ups spoke, “What if it backfires? After all, he just contracted with his Regalia—surely, he’ still new to the feeling of succumbing to someone. But one day he’ll grow immune to the force that bonds him to his Regalia and soon enough, he’ll kill his partner and turn against us.”

“So if that happens and I turn out making the wrong decision,” He spoke with conviction, “ then I’ll take full responsibility of all the custodies and you may strip me off my rights as the general—as a citizen and you may take my head.”

The higher ups were surprised by his certainty and confidence—the room was filled with whispers as the officials discussed upon the general’s proposal. It didn’t take long before they have made the decision.

“It has been agreed.” The head of the officials spoke, “You will take the dangerous demon and make sure he is trained enough to fight for the king—for the country with utmost loyalty. Consider these words as the King’s.”

The general bowed respectfully towards the officials before he stepped aside to give the floor to the next speaker’s report—who was his friend, the general from the Northern Border, Luhan and his loyal Familiar, Sehun.

But Sehun didn’t look pleased at the news he gave, he clearly remembers the look of hate he gave to the captured familiar when it was handed to him. He must’ve been enraged that the criminal was given a chance to live and to serve the country he used to slaughter.

Now that Kai thinks about it, it does sound blasphemous.

But the officials don’t care about the lives that were lost, Kai thinks, All they care about are themselves and their thirst for power and victory. Selfish imbeciles, they are.

The general glances towards one of the officials who listened to Luhan’s report. In that moment, their eyes met and a silent message has been passed.

Finally, Kai thinks, it’s been three years since I’ve last seen her.

 

 

“What do you mean I can’t see her?” Kai stared incredulously towards the cold official in front of him, “But I did just as you want of me! I served this country for three years and I’ve given the king and his officials the advantage to win this growing war. Why can’t I see her?”

“How shallow-minded. Do you think three years of being a general and offering a simple idea anyone could’ve thought of is worth a price? You think too highly of yourself.” The official scoffed at him, “It’s not enough. We aren’t even certain if your plan will succeed or fail.”

“So are you saying that if it succeeds, I can get to see her?” Kai inquired, hopeful to get a positive answer. But the official’s glare broke his hope.

“We will see.” The official replied before turning his back on him, “Well, that’s all for this discussion. I’m a busy man. I don’t have time to chat with you.”

“Wait, please. Just give me at least a glimpse.” Kai begged, “Please, I need to see her again. I promise I won’t go near her, just let me see her at least. I want to know how she is, if she’s okay.”

“She’s alright. She’s given the best treatments from the best doctors and medical staffs this whole country can offer.” The official replied before he entered in his expensive personal helicopter. But before he left, he told Kai, “If you give me good results, I may let you see her.”

The general watched as the plane took flight and once it was out of sight, he punched the ground and bit his lips in frustrations. He hoped for nothing. He thought this time; he could finally see his regalia. I let myself become a puppet for this rotten country, yet I can’t even get reward even just a glimpse of her.

A few tears gathered from the corner of his eyes, his heart burned of longing and the desire to meet his Regalia again. But he hardened himself, I must not be weak. No matter what, this plan must succeed. Just endure it for a little bit, Krystal. He brought a hand to hold the ring hanging from a chain he wore around his neck, I will make sure that we’ll meet each other again. And when we do, I’ll bring you to a place far away, where no one can touch us, where no one can take you away from me ever again.

 

 

 

Eyes as dark as shadows opened as he sensed movement. His limbs were currently binded with special kinds of chains that would shoot pain through his body if he moved. Not that it scared him, if anything, these were just simple toys he could easily break if he wanted to. But he didn’t. He found that there was no point in breaking them, He’s still safe. I can still sense that he’s alive.

Just as he had expected, the door to his current confinement opened to reveal the general looking calm and two of his companions who both look cautious and alert. He smirked when he sensed the fear and agitation in their minds.

“For someone who’s wrapped around in chains, you sure look happy.” The general commented. “Care to share?”

“I found my Regalia, it’s simple.” He shrugged, “Anyone would be happy if they found their partners, right?”

“How old are you? Aren’t you too young to get contracted to someone?” The general said before he crouched down, “Or are my eyes deceiving me?”

“I don’t care about your concerns though.” The Familiar said before he placed both his chained hands in front of the general’s face. His sudden movement alerted the general’s companions—both holding their weapons. He smirked, “These are annoying. Take it off.”

“He’s mocking you, general.” One of them gritted, pointing his gun towards the familiar whose smirk grew wider. His hands were shaking in rage but Kai stopped him.

“We both know that you can simply take those off if you wanted to.” He spoke calmly before he placed a folder in front of the Familiar.

“What’s that?” The Familiar asked uninterestedly, “If it’s an agreement I need to sign then no thanks.”

“I made a research about you. Well, more like I made someone do a research but I’ve read the files about you.” The general spoke. The Familiar’s smirk disappeared and his face expression turned into that of boredom, “One of my subordinate’s Familiar can see through a person and obtain data and information about them. I now know that your real name is Jeon Jungkook. You look eighteen but your age is actually quite far.”

“Ah, is that so?” The Familiar now discovered Jungkook said, “Care to tell me? It’s been so long, I got tired of counting. How old am I then?”

“About a century old, perhaps? Too many numbers.” Kai smirked, “But I learned so many things interesting about you, no wonder you’re this exceptionally strong huh? And I’ve always wondered why you were so obedient to your Regalia when despite, you just first met. Most Familiars aren’t like that.”

“It’s a natural thing.” Jungkook shrugged, looking like he was getting bored from the conversation, “I found my Regalia, contracted with him and I do everything he says. Isn’t that the kindom’s view of an ideal Familiar? If I remember correctly, this rebellion started because the kingdom wanted Regalias to become more superior. To have Familiars submissively following their Regalia’s every single command. That’s odd, I thought the gods recreated this world for equality.”

“I question that sometimes. If this world was recreated for equality, why do they need to divide our race into two? Surely that’s the main cause of the problem here.” Kai said before he sighed, “But we’re straying off the main topic, I came here for a proposal. If you agree to our conditions, we will free you and your Regalia both unharmed.”

“Why would I need to agree to your conditions when I can free myself and my Regalia without your help?” Jungkook asked before he smirked, “You said you’ve read about me, right? Then I’m sure you know that your army won’t stand against me even if you send the strongest troupes. Your desire to control me is futile.”

“I don’t think so. I’m very much aware of what you can do so I did some precaution.” Kai raised a device that resembled a remote with only one button. “Do you know what this is?”

“I don’t know. Do you think I care?” Jungkook sighed, annoyed at all the questions, “Quit the suspense. I hate it, just get to the point. What is that? Is that a threat you’re gonna use against me to make me succumb to you?”

“Well, if you want it that way then to simply say; your precious Regalia, Seokjin, right? His life is in my hands. He has a chip planted inside of him that would spread poison on his body and cause him to die, slowly and painfully if I press this button.” Kai said as he showed the device to Jungkook who looked enraged, “If you won’t agree to join us, your Regalia dies. As simple as that. No hard feelings though, I’m just doing my job.”

“How can I be sure if you’re not making this up? I didn’t sense anyone touch him since last night. Much less plant a chip in him.” Jungkook smirked, “You’re making this up.”

“If you don’t trust me then suit yourself. But if you really want to know, I can press this and you can see for yourself if your Regalia dies.” Kai said nonchalantly, “Wanna try?”

“Wait!” Jungkook yelled, “How then? How did you plant it in him?”

“I didn’t. I’m sure you know how the officials don’t care about other people’s lives, right? Then it wouldn’t be hard to explain this.” Kai leaned twards Jungkook, “It’s not just Seokjin. Every single person, regardless if they’re a Familiar or a Regalia, has been planted this chip the moment they were born. That’s why hospitalization when it comes to giving birth is free. Each citizen is planted this chip since they were a child, so that when scenarios like these happen, they could easily be disposed of.”

Kai smirked, “But you’re different. You were not born under these officials’ control. They can’t have you because you’re different, you’re stronger, you’re free and cannot be controlled. Your Regalia, however, is unfortunate. But we use that to our advantage.”

“Are you saying that if I don’t agree to you, Seokjin dies?” Jungkook’s form shakes in anger.

“Bingo.” Kai said, “And don’t even think of destroying this device nor trying to remove the chip from him, either of the two, he’ll still end up dead. The chip will activate itself when this device is destroyed or the chip itself is touched. And when it activates, your Regalia dies a slow and painful death.”

Jungkook breaks the chain binding him and he pounced at the general, pressing him against the walls. He didn’t care that there are guns pointed behind him, all he can focus on was the general’s smirk and his threats.

“If you want to kill then fine, go ahead.” The general taunts, “But remember, your Regalia will pay the price.”

Jungkook lets go at that. He breathes as he forces to calm himself before he opens his eyes to look straight at Kai and say, “Fine. I’ll do whatever you want. But Seokjin will stay alive.”

“Of course.” Kai nodded before he ordered to open the door, “Walk with me.”

“But general! He just tried to kill you a moment ago!”

“It’s alright.” Kai said as glanced towards Jungkook, “He won’t attempt an escape nor try to kill me again, won’t you Jungkook-ah?”

Jungkook grits his teeth at the mocking way the general addresses him. But he decides to swallow his pride and anger before he nods. Seokjin’s life matters more than anything. I won’t lose him a second time.

 “Starting from now on, Jungkook-ah. You address me as your General.” Kai said as they walked forward, “Oh, and get that frown off your face, you’re scaring off your future companions.”

“I only agree to work for you because of Seokjin.” Jungkook said as he walked with his hands in his pockets, “I didn’t agree to befriend anyone nor treat them as companions.”

“Well, at least fix your expression. You might scare off your Regalia.” Kai chuckled at the light that gleamed in Jungkook’s widening eyes, “We’re heading towards where he is confined.”

They continued to walk forward in silence. A few soldiers and trainees saluted to Kai as he and Jungkook passed by but they couldn’t miss the way people stared at Jungkook in fear, some in curiosity and some with hate. Jungkook didn’t care though, he looked calm, and sometimes he smirked at those who were afraid.

But Kai didn’t miss the way Jungkook would slow down in walking every time they passed through a glass. He’d look at his reflection, fixing his hair and clothes. Like a teenager in love. But whenever Jungkook notices Kai’s gaze, he pretends that he was doing none of these and continues walking in a cool manner.

The long hallways felt like it would go forever for Jungkook, he was getting impatient. He wanted to see Seokjin so badly. Their reunion was, for lack of better words in Jungkook’s dictionary, ty. He wanted a memorable time and moment with Seokjin yet it ended up chaotic, bloody and messy. And even worse, Seokjin’s life became a price for his submission to the kingdom.

But at least I can be with him now. I’ve search for him, it’s been years, centuries even. Jungkook thought. His thoughts wander to the past with Seokjin. They used to laugh together, sleep in the same bed, Seokjin would tell him stories, Seokjin would treat his wounds at the same time nagged about his habit of placing his used clothes with the clean ones.   He spent so many times with Seokjin in the past, But I know, he can’t remember me anymore.

“We’re here.” Kai told him as they stopped in front of the confinement’s entrance. Jungkook tapped his foot impatiently, waiting for the general to open the room but instead, Kai faced him and gave a choker, “Here. Wear this.”

“Why? What for?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow, but he accepted it nevertheless.

“Just making sure. So that we can track your whereabouts anytime, and it indicates us of what you feel.” Kai said as he pointed at a certain area where there were three small circles, “The first one changes in color depending on your emotions, this is to warn us especially if you’re angry. Who knows if you might suddenly attack? The second will turn red every time you think of betraying us, do don’t bother. The last one, it will only glow when you’re punished.”

 “Punsihed?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow, “You haven’t learned your lesson? I won’t get hurt, .”

“Just wear it.” Kai said as he watched Jungkook place the choker on, “Now that you’ve placed it. Don’t remove it unless without our help. There’s a key for that—the only ones who have it are me and my second-in-command whom you’ll meet soon.”

“And what if I remove it by myself?”

“It will trigger Seokjin to die.”

“So basically, now, every single move I do will affect Seokjin’s life?” Jungkook said, hands curled into fists, “May I remind you that his life is not a toy you can play with?”

“May I also remind you that I’m only following orders?” Kai retorted, ‘While yes, controlling you was my ideas. But methods like these are ordered by the officials. They like it to be this way. They don’t want anyone above them so they trap you in a cage where you have no way out. At this moment, you’re just a marionette they control as they please.”

 “Aren’t you the same then?” Jungkook replied, “Just a plaything for the higher ups.”

“This is not about me.” Kai turned his back on Jungkook as he typed the code and the door opened. The moment it did, Jungkook didn’t wait for Kai as he entered the room immediately.

“Seokjin!” Jungkook yelled as he entered the room, immediately spotting the addressed person at the corner of the room, face looking like a mix of surprised and terrified. Beside him was another guy and by the looks of it, he was wearing the same uniform a the other soldiers. The soldier stood in front of Seokjin, as if he considered Jungkook a threat towards his own Regalia and this angered him.

Yet he decided not to show as he smirked, “Move out of the way, you’re blocking the view.”

 “Don’t be so angry—your choker’s red, indicates that you’re angry so don’t pretend to be cocky.” Kai came from behind, “And Kyungsoo, it’s okay. He knows of the agreement and he agrees. Allow him to meet his Regalia.”

The soldier, Kyungsoo, looked hesitant before he sighed and moved aside. Seokjin blinked at Jungkook before he gulped because the other’s looking at him with so many emotions in those eyes that Seokjin felt overwhelmed. He mentally ranted, Why is he looking at me like that? He’s looking as if I’m a long lost friend or something. I mean I’m glad that I finally found my Familiar—whose a criminal, oh gosh— but he’s looking at me like he knows me like what? We just met in a not so pleasant way, mind you.

“Uh, hi? I’m Seokjin. Kim Seokjin. And you are?—Hey!” Seokjin was surprised to be suddenly engulfed in an embrace. He’s so warm. But he glances helplessly at Kyungsoo and Kai, one looking like he wants to help while the other just stared at them with an unreadable expression.

“I finally found you.” He whispers and Seokjin blinks in surprise, unsure what to do but he decides to respond to the hug, albeit awkwardly. The raven pulls away and he said, “You probably don’t remember me anymore but that’s okay. We can always make new memories.”

What is this guy talking about? Don’t tell me that I found a mentally unstable Familiar? But wait, that could be possible seeing as he murders people! Seokjin mentally panics before he nods.

“Don’t be afraid of me.” The raven said as he stares at Seokjin’s eyes as if he’s seeing directly to his soul, “I won’t hurt you. I will never.”

“I’m not afraid.” Seokjin shakes his head, “I’m just confused, I guess.”

“I understand.” The raven smiled genuinely and Seokjin’s heart warms because it’s so sincere and he finds it adorable,  How cute, he has a bunny smile. He actually looks so innocent—wait, but he’s a criminal. Looks can be deceiving. But Kim Seokjin, calm down, he’s your Familiar.

“Oh right, I almost forgot to tell you my name, since you can’t remember me.” The other laughed and it sounds beautiful and something in Seokjin’s heart tugged, it felt like he heard this somewhere, “My name is Jeon Jungkook. My age, hmm, which do you prefer? 18, 19 or 20? I think I’ll settle for 20 so that people won’t be confused as to why I’m already contracted, right?”

“Why are you asking me? It’s your own age.” Seokjin was greatly confused, And all this time, I thought Taehyung was weird.

“Seokjin. Can I just call you Seokjin?”

“Yeah—wait, no.” Seokjin shook his head, “Even if you’re a Familiar, don’t be too casual. Address me with a hyung.”

Jungkook groaned lightly at that but he nodded, “Okay, okay. Seokjin-hyung then. Hmm, it doesn’t sound so bad though.”

Seokjin nodded, surprised. He thought how his Familiar supposedly so dangerous and was greatly feared by everyone. He was powerful and he murdered a lot. And yet he didn’t expect him to be this talkative, weird and noisy.

“So anyway, Seokjin-hyung.” Jungkook smirked and suddenly, Seokjin doesn’t feel good, “Do you know that there’s a certain exercise that Regalias and Familiars do in order to keep themselves healthy?”

“What?”

Jungkook leaned in to whisper, “A kiss.”

“What?” Seokjin asked again, pulling away in disbelief, “We were never taught that in school.”

“There are things that aren’t taught in school, there are things you learn through experience.” Jungkook grinned, “And you know, a kiss a day actually makes me stronger.”

First meeting with his Regalia and he’s already flirting, Kai mentally sighs though he was amused, But such a liar he is. There’s absolutely no truth in his words.

“But my friends never told me about this.” Seokjin reasoned, feeling nervous with their sudden closeness.

“Of course, things like this are kept private.” Jungkook said, but as he noticed that Seokjin is hesitant, he sighed and said, “If you’re uncomfortable, a kiss on the cheek would suffice.”

“T-then, I’ll just settle with the cheeks then.” Seokjin stuttered out. But he didn’t make a move because I’ve never heard of this before, is this brat lying to me? If there were things like these, anyone of my friends would inform me, especially Ken and Taehyung.

But then at thought of his friends, a sudden feeling of sadness creeped into him, But wait, now I’m labeled as a criminal. Does this mean, I’ll never get to see them again? They said that I’ll be confined here. But I’ll mi—

He was shocked when he felt something soft pressed against his cheeks. He blinked before he realized that Jungkook pecked his left cheek. He looked confusedly to his proud-looking Familiar and then glanced over to the small audience they had. Kyungsoo cleared his throat, feeling like their presence was forgotten by Jungkook.

 Kai however clapped his hands to get their attention, “I’m sorry to disturb your moment together but time is short, I need to leave after a moment so I’ll say this quickly.”

“Then say it.” Jungkook commented loudly, earning a reprimanding look from Seokjin. He muttered a soft unrepentant, “Sorry.”

“Jungkook is aware of the condition and Seokjin has already been informed by my second-in-command Kyungsoo. Both of you are enlisted to join the army and you have no option but to accept these terms or you die.”

Jungkook’s eyes widened at the mention that Seokjin as well, joins the army.

“And to keep things short, both of you will be sent to training to prepare yourselves in the battlefield. Though, I am confident that Jungkook knows how to fight so the one I need to focus more on to is you, Seokjin.” Kai looked at Seokjin who gulped, “But I don’t want you to think of me as a bastard—“

“You are.” Jungkook comments again.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.” Kai said, “I’ll give you time tomorrow to luve your last day as normal as you can. You could spend that day to say goodbye to the people you know, Seokjin. Because right after that, who knows when you’ll see them again.”

Seokjin felt happy and at the same time sad with that news. Happy because he can at least meet his friends and family before he’ll be sent to do things he didn’t think he’d be doing and sad because one day won’t ever be enough for him.

Kai told them that that would be all the wanted to say. He also told them that Jungkook may stay with Seokjin tonight, earning a low groan from Seokjin and a happy Jungkook. And just as Kai and Kyungsoo was about to leave, Kai stopped by the door and said, “Oh, and I almost forgot, Kyungsoo will follow you two around tomorrow.”

“What?” Kyungsoo asked, eyes wide and mouth agape comically by the sudden news, “But you just tell this now? I didn’t even know!”

“Well, now you know.” 


This was in a rush but here's another update again for this story eheheh ^-^ Hope you guys liked it <3 Thank you for those who read, subscribed, commented and upvoted <3 It really inspired me to write more xD I love reading your comments like a lot <3

 

Chrysallion​