Chapter 2: Labyrinthine

Antebellum

 

Chapter 2: Labyrinthine

His heart beats rapidly, he inhales in fast gasps as he exhales wildly. He’s palpitating and his ears are ringing. His hands were shaking uncontrollably, his body felt cold and he can feel it— fear forming in him. There was anxiety, there was fear and yet there was excitement coursing through his veins. He hasn’t felt this excitement— this mix of emotions— since the first time he had the strange dream three years ago.

They say, He recalls his professor’s voice back when he was still in middle school, When your destined partners are nearby— you will know. There will be a change in you and your body will acknowledge it.

With his hands shaking, he brought them up to cover his face. His lips were trembling and his vision becomes blurry. It hurts. His body is aching— like it’s burning, as if a thousand needles pierced through every inch of his bare form. Am I having a fever or—? Seokjin shakes the thought away, No, I must not hope or else I’ll get disappointed again.

It’s been so long, there’s no way his Fmiliar would suddenly appear, right?

But that dream. It was different than the rest.

He thought that maybe he should just sleep and take a rest again, maybe when he wakes up— the pain will be gone. But sooner the agony becomes too unbearable and he almost released a scream because it truly hurts. So he decides to grab his phone and tapped the first name that appeared in the contacts— he knew that his friends weren’t morning persons but at this rate, the pain he feels doesn’t make him care about that anymore.

The phone rings and it takes too long. Please answer! Seokjin mentally hopes as another wave of pain courses through his body. All of a sudden he feels like he’s slipping in between reality and an illusion. He’s not sure what happens but the next moment he reopens his eyes— he sees a different scenario again.

He’s seeing through a glass— beyond were silhouettes. People with their backs facing him— but from what he can see, they were wearing uniforms. And it took him a moment to realize, Those are our legion’s soldier’s uniforms! How come—

Then it dawned him, Am I seeing through someone else’s eyes again?

One of the soldiers turned to glance towards him— towards the unknown person— and Seokjin flinches at the amount of fear, hate and anger directed in that gaze. But then it suddenly clicked to him, Isn’t that Tao-sunbaenim? One of the top strongest in our legion? What is he— is he on guarding duty or something?

Who is this person? Why am I seeing through his eyes? Seokjin wonders, terrified, If I’m seeing through the glass then this person must’ve been a criminal! I’m sharing sight with a criminal! And to have one of the strongest warriors watch over him— he must have committed a really huge crime! Did he rob a bank or something?

Suddenly, he got a flashback from the dream last night and his heart started beating faster if it was even possible, Or he could have committed homicide.

“Seokjin! Seokjin! Hey—“ he was forcibly pulled out of his tranced state when he heared the familiar voice from his phone. From the sound of it, it seems that he had called a close friend of his— Ken.

“J-Jaehwan?” Seokjin stuttered out, his voice coming out raspy and so sick that he was suprised, “Are you free today?”

“Yeah, I am. And damn are you okay? You sound sick.” He could hear the worry from the other side he felt slightly guilty. But when another pain shot from his spine, he winced loudly enough for Ken to hear, “Okay, I get it. I’m coming to your place. Give me a few minutes so hang in there.”

The phone call ended as another surge of agony came and he was shaking. He feels sore everywhere and every single move he does makes him ache. He grips the bed sheets when he feels himself slipping in between again, he can hear voices.

“Why do you think the higher ups wanted to keep this— this thing here?” The voice was spiteful and laced with disgust, “If he escapes, he’s going to end up killing our city. Did the higher ups forget that there are families living peacefully here? Why do they pass this monster to us?”

What monster? This person will kill our city? Just how terrifying is he?

Seokjin opens his eyes again but he sees the scenario again— seeing through a glass with the soldiers talking in front of him— probably thinking he couldn’t hear, probably thinking the person— the monster couldn’t hear. And at the simple glimpse of it, he quickly shut his eyes because no more. He can’t stand it.

Seokjin had always been a friendly person— kind and endearing to the people he meets. And to actually receive so much hate from those eyes, he was scared. He wasn’t used to it. So even if it wasn’t supposedly directed to him, he still preferred not to see.

It’s so cold. He body feels like it’s freezing. Like he imprisoned in a cage made of ice— as if he was submerged in the winter water. It was freezing, it was cold, it was warm? The sensations morphed into a different feeling.

He felt like he was embraced, by comforting warmth, like the sun shining softly upon him in spring. He felt safe, he felt secured, he felt protected. And that’s when he heard that welcoming mysterious voice again, as if it was enchanting him, as if it was alluring him.

“Where are you?”

“W-who are you?”

“I am your Familiar. You are my Regalia. I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

“B-but where are you then?”

“I cannot leave. I’ve been captured.”

“B-but why? Is it true that you killed people?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because they tried to ta—“

“Seokjn! Hey Seokjin, wake up!” He was jolted out of his slumber by the sound and the feeling of his friend shaking him. The moment he opened his eyes, his vision was blurred before it started to focus and he immediately saw Ken’s worried expression.

As soon as his eyes opened, Ken released a sigh of relief, “Good grief. I thought I was too late and you were dead or something.” The man placed his palm on Seokjin’s forehead and winced, “, you’re burning. You’re having a high fever. This isn’t good.”

Ken continued to fuss around him but Seokjin kept lying that he was just fine and that it’s not that bad. But Ken, being the overly protective friend he is, declared that he’ll stay with Seokjin until he feels better. Ignoring Seokjin’s refusal, he dialed up his Regalia’s number and informed that Seokjin is sick and that he’ll be staying to take care of him until he gets better.

“Leo agrees so it’s fine.” Ken winked at Seokjin, “And he also said that you should eat well, seriously you’re the one who rarely gets sick and loves to nag to me about a healthy lifestyle and whatnot. Guess it’s my turn to nag and take care of you now.”

 “Thanks.” Seokjin muttered, “And sorry for the trouble.”

“It’s fine. I don’t mind. We haven’t spent time for a long time. Moreover, you should worry more about your healing than anything else. Did you have your breakfast already?” Ken asked and Seokjin shook his head. As if on cue, Seokjin’s stomach grumbled loudly which caused the latter to blush in embarrassment. Ken waved it off with a laugh, “Figures. Let me just make you a simple soup.”

Ken didn’t need to ask for directions as he just made his way towards Seokjin’s kitchen comfortably. The man has been here many times that it was almost like his second hone, he even has a duplicate of the main door’s key and that explains as to hoe he got in the first place. Seokjin recalls how Ken was his first love and vice versa. Before, they had truly believed that they were the ones destined for each other.

Ken was older than him by a few months and as the familiar search happens every three months, Ken was supposed to attend his first Familiar search before Seokjin. However he didn’t. He reasoned that he didn’t need to join the search cause he was confident that Seokjin would be his Regalia. However, on Seokjin’s 20th birthday, the age he was going to be matured to finally respond to a partner’s call— things went surprisingly disappointing for them. When they tried to contract with each other, there was no response.

They discovered that they weren’t compatible— they weren’t destined.

Both had been depressed yet Ken had declared that he was still going to marry Seokjin even if they weren’t destined. He was going to follow the example of others who didn’t end up with their so-called soulmates. Seokjin was more than happy to say yes to his proposal. But promises were meant to be broken as when Ken had found his Regalia, Leo, by accident. They ended up falling for each other.

Seokjin was hurt but he didn’t want to be selfish. He knew that he was unrequited and he didn’t want Ken to be forced to love him then so he let Ken go. They had remained friends even so, Ken didn’t change the way he treated Seokjin specially but that was it— from then on, they were just best friends. As Ken spends his time with his found regalia, Seokjin is still searching for his with all his friends, including Ken, supporting him.

But he was starting to lose hope.

Until now.

“Hey, Jin.” Ken smiled, holding a tray carrying a bowl of soup, a glass of water and some medicine on hand, “Breakfast for his majesty!”

Seokjin laughed at that, missing the way his ex-boyfriend would treat him like royalty— like he was the most precious thing in the world. “Thank you.”

“By His Majesty’s grace.” Ken bowed dutifully with a huge grin in his face.

“Stop it, you dork.” Seokjin laughed.

“If it pleases His Majesty.” Ken laughed before he pulled a chair to sit beside Seokjin’s bed and watch him eat. There was silence between them as Seokjin ate his food and Ken watching him. Then the man spoke up, “I missed you.”

“We see each other still, you cheesy idiot.” Seokjin smiled, “But yeah, I missed you too.”

“I heard that Taehyung found his regalia.” Ken said, “Who knew that Taehyung would be a Familiar, right? I remembered that when we went to a fortune teller, he was labeled as a Regalia. Guess that means we can’t trust these superstitions, right? Who knows, the fortune teller might be wrong about you, Jin. You might actually be a Familiar!”

“No,” Seokjin shook his head as he recalls his dream, “I’m positive that I’m a Regalia.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I can’t imagine you obtaining these powers and fighting to protect your Fegalia.” Ken joked as he raised his index finer and a fire lights from it, “I’m not saying it as a bad thing though but you seem someone that needs to be protected rather than someone who protects. You couldn’t even hurt a fly! Such a princess.”

“Hey, don’t say that as if I’m a damsel in distress. I can so kick butts if I want to.” Seokjin huffed, “Remember that one time? I save you from that—“

“That was just one time okay? It didn’t count.” Ken rolled his eyes as he defended, “I was young, but now I’m stronger.”

“I bet Leo is still stronger than you.” Seokjin joked.

“Not true.” Ken stuck a tongue out, “By the way, what’s the name of Taehyung’s Regalia? Like to meet her someday.”

"you. And no, you can’t meet her.” Seokjin smirked, “You’d end up scaring her away with your ugly face.”

“Hey, don’t say that to this handsome young man.” Ken defended, “Who was the one who fell head over heels over me cause I was too perfect in his eyes again?”

“That was years ago, I was young and infatuated.” Seokjin shook his head, “I woke up and realized that you were just a troll.”

“A very hot troll.” Ken winked and chuckled. Seokjin laughed along with him.

Once their laughter died down, Ken asked, “Feeling better now?”

Seokjin nodded. For the rest of the day, they both spent time with each other, talking about the past and laughing without a worry. During the whole duration, Seokjin never had the dream again nor the sudden visions and hearing voices. He ended up forgetting about it for the whole day.

Night came and Leo visited them to leave a dinner and extra clothes for Ken to stay overnight. Seokjin was secretly amazed at how Leo could just let his partner stay with him, despite the knowledge that they were dating in the past. They’re trust for each other is remarkable. And Seokjin finds himself feeling jealous. He wished he could have something like that too. Leo greeted him and wished for him to get well soon. He replied gratefully to the latter’s kindness and understanding.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, it was peaceful and there was a serene silence in the room aside from the ticking of the clock and both Ken’s and Seokjin’s soft snores. However, as the clock twelve, Seokjin was jolted out of his sleep, bathing in cold sweat, harsh breaths and dilated eyes.

The same dream.

And without a thought, his body moved on its own accord. He’s calling for me to come. He walks towards the door silently, careful not to wake Ken. He turns the knob slowly and opens the door, once he walked out, he closes it carefully. His feet continue to move out of the house and starts bringing him in a direction he didn’t know where it would lead. He doesn’t know where he’s going but his heart beats fast as he moves forward to follow. He feels like he’s going the right way.

Something like a force pulling him towards a certain place.

He finds himself walking deeper in a forest. He was nervous, what if a wild animal comes to attack him— or even worse a murderer? He was walking defenseless in the middle of a potential danger and yet he continues in his path— because it feels right. His instincts tell him that he’s doing the right thing. There’s a tug in his heart that demands for him to follow, and he does.

From afar, he can see a huge gate and dark walls. He sees two guards standing on each side of the gates and it didn’t take long for him to realize that he’s walking towards a forbidden facility— the prison. And not just any prison, this one has the highest security for it keeps the most dangerous and deadly fugitives there is. It brings a shiver down his spine but he didn’t stop. Not even when he is in front of the gates.

But to his surprise, the guards weren’t alerted by his presence. Usually, they would be so uptight and would demand for him to leave immediately. This place was forbidden. Out of curiosity, he walks forward to wave a hand in front of one of the guards. To his surprise, it didn’t cause a reaction— not even a blink!

Maybe they are sleeping with their eyes open? Seokjin wonders, but they’re supposed to be highly trained individuals.

Altering his attention towards the gate, he wonders how he should enter the place. And then he is baffled, Why should I enter the prison? I didn’t do anything and it’s not like I have a friend or relative to visit.

But he feels a call in his heart that echoes for him to come inside. He didn’t know what he was expecting but for some reason, he couldn’t say no. So he raised a hand forward with the thought of pushing the gates open. But to his utmost shock, his hands passed through as if it was nothing— as if he was a ghost. His eyes widened in both fear and shock— is he dead!? Is his soul walking around the surface of earth now?

“Come in.”

His thoughts were quickly erased by the voice that calls. He looked around this time to find the source, for it was louder than usual— as if it was near him, whispering in his ear. Yet it sounded like it came from everywhere and Seokjin was greatly confused.

“Come inside.”

The call comes again and Seokjin moves out of reflex. He passes through the gates like a spirit and he finds himself finally inside the prison. He had expected to find cells and bars with dirty criminals inside but to his surprise, they placed look like an organized office, or like a science lab. Rooms were arranged and labeled by numbers like the class rooms in school but each door were transparent glass. He could see through them that the prisoners were all kept frozen in a human-sized glass cylinder. Two tubes were connected from the containers and he could see red colors— like fire seeped out from the cylinders and connected to a certain outlet from above.

“What is that?” Seokjin mutters to himself, clutching his chest in fear. And suddenly he hears the voice again.

“That’s the higher ups doing.”

“This?”

Yes, they capture notorious criminals or Familiars who have no Regalias and place them in these containers to their energies out of them until they die.”

“But why?”

To keep you and your city alive. They consider our lives a nuisance that needs to be eliminated, but they discovered a way to put use to us. And that is to use our lives as a sacrifice just to satisfy you people.”

“Satisfy us? What do you mean?”

“The energy taken from us is sent through wires, tunnels, outlets in your town. They sustain all of your needs— water, electricity and basically everything. The things you enjoy were taken from the lives of others.”

“N-no way.” Seokjin backed away in fear, “Then are you saying that these people are killed because of us? But why? What about you? Are you going to do too?”

I will be. And that’s I call for you. I need you to free me.”

Will it be the wise thing to do? Seokjin wonders. But as he glances through the familiar in the container and the energy taken away from him— the Familiar looks like he’s in pain. He feels a clutch in his heart and with that, he runs and says, “Lead me to where you are.”

He heard a faint chuckle and suddenly a light appears before him, “Follow the light. It will lead you to where I am.”

And he did. He chased after the shining light through the hallways before he finds himself in front of an enormous door isolated from the rest. There are several locks and passcodes for the door and he feels his heart beating wildly as he looks at the warning sign placed in front of the door.

This person is labeled the most dangerous one here. Seokjin thought.

But at the thought of the person in danger of dying, he pushed his doubts and worries away and passes his way through the locked door. His eyes widened as he recognizes the place— the same place he sees in his strange visions. His eyes widened before he walks forward. Like before, the guards didn’t seem to notice him. But his eyes widened because all he thought was that there were only two soldiers— to his surprise, there were more!

Like a group of them.

His eyes traveled to see the person in the glass— his memories flashed and he sees his the silhouette in his dreams finally having a face, the outstretched hands, both of them laughing together, first kiss, marriage, first intimate night, death and the sight of the person crying for him as he speaks of words yet he couldn’t hear.

His eyes closed and his knees grow weak as he kneeled to the ground. He experienced a vast of emotions flash through in a quick moment— love, happiness, relief, warmth, fear, sadness and pain. Memories of things he didn’t recall had happened.

Memories of him and the person.

The person that meant the whole world to him— the person he couldn’t remember.

Without a thought, he follows his instincts—running towards the person in the glass and breaking him out of it. The guards were alarmed at the sound of shattered glass and they faced the container in shock.

“What’s going on? Why is it breaking?” One speaks in surprise.

“I don’t know, maybe he’s escaping!”

“That’s impossible, he’s supposed to be unconscious forever.” They said, “Wasn’t he casted by Kai to sleep forever?”

“Forget about that.” One of the soldiers said, hands already grabbing his blade, “Prepare to engage in battle. He’s gonna come out anytime soon. Someone warn the others and Kai. Baekhyun, go!” 

“Affirmative!” The other named Baehkyun replied before he broke pressed the emergency button and dispersed in order to look for their General Kai.

The remaining were in their fighting stances as they waited agonizingly for the demon to come out, hoping they could defeat and recapture him.

“How did this happen?” One of them muttered, gripping his weapon tightly, “Our facility is acknowledged as the best security system no one could break. Yet this Familiar can break through them alone in just one day.”

“No, he’s not alone.” Another spoke, eyes turning red,” , why didn’t I notice?”

“What’s going on, Kris?”

“I didn’t notice it til now. There’s another presence in this room that’s giving him strength.” Kris’s eyes widened, “It’s his Regalia!”

“What? But he’s not yet contracted with anyone.”

Seokjin heard all of their concerns and he felt nervous. He doubted himself if he was doing the right thing. But as this person— his familiar— called for him. He moved forward to reach out. And in that blur of a moment, he screamed in pain as something awakened within him. His body felt like it would collapse and his heart would burst in a moment.

And he felt an arm wrapped around his waist, helping him stand. He could hear the gasps around the room and when he glanced, they were all looking at him. His eyes widened, They can see me now?

“They outwitted me.” Kris gritted his teeth, “He hid the presence of his Regalia and called for him to come in order to release him. The security was made to resist Familiars but not Regalias. If the Regalia would will for his Familiar to be free, our facilities are rendered useless.”

“So this guy who appeared out of thin air,” One spoke, finally connecting the puzzles together, “Is his Regalia?”

Kris nodded before he positioned for the battle, “Prepare to fight.”

“No, wait.”

“What is it, DO?”

“He’s a civilian, we were not given the authority to hurt him!”

“Well, he released a notorious criminal. He will be labeled as one from now on.”

What are they talking about? Seokjin wondered, I’m labaled as a criminal?

“Will you shut your mouths?” The person holding Seokjin finally spoke, “This is my supposed reunion with my Regalia, you guys are ruining the moment.”

Seokjin gasped as the grip around him grew tighter, he was pulled closer to lean on to the embrace and the person whispered enough for him alone to hear, “Hold on to me.”

Not knowing what else to do, he followed his new Familiar’s instructions. He held on to him like his life depended on it and it felt like it’s the right thing to do. Like he’s been doing this for so long and he’s doing it again.

“All of you,” his familiar smirked, his dark hair matching the evil glint in his eyes and at that moment, Seokjin felt a powerful energy radiating from him, “Don’t you wanna give death a try?”

Seokjin’s eyes widened, He’s going to kill them!

“I’ll give you a free ticket to hell.” The Familiar glared at everyone who went down on their knees and on that moment, Seokjin interfered.

“Stop! Please, don’t kill anyone!” Seokjin held closely, hugging his Familiar like it would stop the other— and it did. The powerful energy disappeared and the murderous glint in the raven haired Familiar’s eyes disappeared into something akin to softness. His Familiar sighed in defeat before both their eyes meet and Seokjin momentarily forgot how to breath at the sight of other’s mesmerizing eyes were.

At that very moment, the General entered the chaotic room and ordered to seize his Familiar. The soldiers gathered around to separate them and his Familiar didn’t break eye contact with him, not even bothering to fight back when the guards wrapped him around in chains and pinned him to the ground. He kept his gaze straight at Seokjin and he feels a lump forming in his throat as he as well was seized and his hands cuffed behind him.

I’m considered a criminal now.

His panic grew even more when one of the soldiers pointed a gun at his head, blaming him for the chaos but before the trigger was pulled— his Familiar easily broke through the binds to pin his assaulter to ground and mercilessly pounded his fists on the soldier’s face.

When he was seeing blood, Seokjin told him to stop and he obeyed once again without fail. The place was full of chaos, Seokjin felt like he was in a nightmare. He was shaking, he’s never seen so much chaos and blood in his whole life— the worse thing that happened to him used to be how he couldn’t find his Familiar but now, this is a whole new level of mess.

The General watched the exchange between them the whole time with interest. And when one of his subordinates, Suho , approached him to ask, “Should we dispose of them now?”

“No,” Kai said as he smirked, “That would be a waste.”

“What do you mean? He’s dangerous if he could get out of our prisons and even more dangerous now that his Regalia is here.”

“Dangerous, yes. But powerful and resourceful for us.” Kai replied, “He’s powerful enough to wipe an army and if we use him, we could defeat our enemies.”

“Use him? But how? He cannot be controlled.”

“Cannot be controlled?” Kai raised an eyebrow before he gestured to Seokjin who looked like he was about to go crazy,”I don’t think so.”

“B-but the higher ups—“

“Will agree to this plan.” Kai said, “I know of how they think. They will stop at nothing if it means to get stronger. They’ve been wanting to control this demon for years.”

And if I get them to agree, Kai curled his fists, I can finally meet my Regalia that they’ve held captive. And this new Familiar will take my position as the higher up’s plaything.

I can finally meet Krystal.


And that's it for the second chapter. Jin and his familiar finally met! I'm sure that if I ask you to guess, you already know who this familiar is xD Stay tuned for the next update~ Bye guys~ Thanks for reading!
 
Chrysallion​