Chapter 7: Broken Trust part 2

Antebellum

This is the second part of Chapter 7. 



Chapter 7: Broken Trust part 2



Jungkook locked himself in his room, head buried in his arms. He ignored the furious rapping on his door as his father demanded him to get out. It’s been three days since that night. Jungkook has not left his room since then.

Despite not having eaten for days, Jungkook doesn’t feel hungry nor even weak. He felt strange. He felt stronger. His powers were more sensitive and harder to control by the moment. He was dangerous. He couldn’t let himself leave the room.

Even the slightest movement as he shifted his arms, his bed moved, and the creaking sound of the wood caused his father to raise his voice and knock harder. “Jungkook! I know you’re in there! Where’s the boy? Let him out! Don’t complicate this.”

Jungkook tried to drown him out, tried to control himself. But his father’s words were echoing in his mind. “You’re getting in the way of something big. I’m doing this for the sake of mankind! You’re going to get us all killed with your mindless antics!”

How could I ever believe you after that?, Jungkook thought to himself as his mind goes back to that night.

 

He knocked on his father’s door, fingers clenching and unclenching as he did his best to calm down. His father opened the door with an annoyed look on his face before it faded into a kind smile, though Jungkook could see that it was forced. “Do you need something, son?”, his father asked.

Son

The way his father uttered the word clenched Jungkook’s heart. He was hesitant to do the task. But as his father shifted for a moment, opening the door wider only by an inch, Jungkook’s sense heightened. He could hear heavy breathing and machine beeping, his eyes caught a glimpse of a red stain on his father’s clothes. But most of all, it hit him. The putrid scent of blood almost wanted to make him puke.

His hair stood as he acted on impulse, pushing the door open as his father yelled in surprise. And there it was, an image that will forever haunt Jungkook’s mind. He regretted it.

His father looked furious like he was a madman as he yelled at Jungkook to get out. But the younger was frozen in place as he took in the image in front of him. There were vials filled with crimson substances that looked close to black. The putrid scent told Jungkook that it was blood. His blood.

There were files scattered everywhere, ripped pages of holy books as if his father had been studying them and demonic symbols in their pages, written in the same blood that was his. A chill ran through his spine as he stared at the victim lying on a table with machines connected to him. He watched as his own blood was injected into the unconscious male’s system and he looked in pain as he received them.

His father forcefully grabbed him to usher him out of the room. However, Jungkook no longer was the pliant child as he slapped his father’s hand away and levitated him up that he was sticking close to the ceiling. His father yelled out in a mix of anger and surprise before he demanded that he be released.

Gone were the image of his kind but distant father and all Jungkook could see was a murderer, a demon worshipper, a crazed man. He held the screaming man up as his eyes scanned the area, seeing all the scattered pages and blood splatters.

For how many years, Jungkook wondered, has his father been doing this? How many has he taken and killed? Jungkook felt nauseous as he thought about it. With a glare he stared at the man who was once his father, his heart was aching with anger and betrayal. But he loved his father even if they rarely spent time together.

So he steeled himself as he brought his father down and placed his hand on his forehead, and there was silence. He laid the unconscious man down as he took another glance at the surroundings. He felt the bile coming up as he stared at his father and his doings, Jungkook emptied his stomach right there.

He felt his chest constrict and it was harder to breathe. How long has his father been doing this? He closed his eyes and tears fell. He coughed, choked and cried.

Tick

The sound of the clock interrupted his emotional breakdown. Jungkook was panicking, he was breaking. But then he remembered that there was someone waiting. He took a glance at his father and to the victim in pain.

He felt like vomiting again. But he swallowed it all along with his doubts and fears, even if just for a moment. He locked the door and left.

That night, he was met with Seokjin’s mixed emotions. The elder’s emotional face as he held his bloody and unconscious cousin was a mix of shock, fear, sadness, and relief. It was a night that will forever be engraved in his mind and will scar him forever.

For a moment, Jungkook wanted to break down his walls and hold Seokjin. He didn’t know why the person he wanted to push away was the person he didn’t want to let go of.

When the world turned their back on Jungkook, Jungkook turned his back on the world. So when the sun that was Seokjin came to spread its light and warmth to the coldness of his solitude, Jungkook was afraid to hold it. He was accustomed to the cold, accustomed of the dark, used to being alone that he feared anything else beyond that.

But Seokjin didn’t give up on him. Before he even realized, he started opening up to him, bit by bit. He may not admit it but he loved the times he spent with Seokjin, the lunches were delicious, probably the most delicious Jungkook has tasted since his mom left. He doesn’t even remember how his mother’s food tasted like. Seokjin’s voice was the most familiar sound to Jungkook.

But now, as Seokjin was on the verge of tears, mouth trembling and looking at Jungkook, asking for an explanation. It sounded so dangerous, Jungkook was afraid. If he told Seokjin the truth, he would be pushed away, he would hate him.

Jungkook didn’t plan it this way. He hadn’t expected what he had seen. All he thought was that he could take Luhan away, no blood involved, returned him to his cousin and say goodbye. He thought that telling Seokjin to leave him alone as a payment for saving his cousin was enough to push Seokjin away and make the elder lead a better life away from him.

Jungkook was not as mature as he thought he was. In reality, he was still naïve. He still has more to learn about the world around him. In the end, he was still a child.  Like a child, he felt the tears gather around his eyes, about to spill as Seokjin looked at him as if asking for answers. But he held them back as he spoke before Seokjin ever could. “I don’t have much to say and it’s useless to tell you anything anyway.”

“Jungkook—”

“I’ll send you home.” Jungkook said with a stoic face, but his eyes reflected sadness, “Goodnight.”

He touched Seokjin’s forehead and the other’s vision fade to black.

That night, he held Seokjin in his arms crying as he thought, it was the last time.

 

 

“Jungkook!”

He was brought out of his reverie as he heard his father’s hoarse voice and non-stop knocking outside. He sighed and wondered how long it would take for his father to tire.

“You’re going to regret this! You just released something dangerous to the world!”

The only thing dangerous here is you, Jungkook thought bitterly before he realized that he was no less of a monster as well. I may even be the true demon here.

“That kid—he’s not fully aware of what he can do. Hell, he doesn’t even know what he has. If he loses control, he’s going to end up with blood in his hands.” His father yelled, “the results of the experiment has affected his mind as well. He’s lost. He cannot identify fantasy from reality. He’s trapped in his hallucinations.”

“And who’s fault is that?” Jungkook replied for the first time. His voice hoarse from having not spoken for three days. He intended to ignore his father until he gave up, but his recent work had sparked anger in Jungkook, with a little bit of fear. Because if Luhan was that dangerous, then Seokjin—oh god, Seokjin.

“Yours.” His father said immediately, making Jungkook clench his palms into fists, ignoring that the small action caused a big reaction as the empty glass near on his bedtable shattered into pieces. “Your recklessness unleashed him to the world. You’re only going to see the results of your actions.”

Jungkook was silent for a while, his anger growing inside him. His father was silent on the other side as well. The raven couldn’t help but wonder what he was thinking behind that door. What expression was he wearing—was he wearing a livid expression looking like he was gonna tear Jungkook apart, or was he wearing a mad grin as he spoke of what his ‘experiment’ could do?

Jungkook realized that he never really knew his father.

“And,” his father started once again, his tone changed as if he was about to say good news, “this new gift I’ve given the boy came from you. Your blood was the answer all along. The reactions it gave to him, he screamed as if I inserted acid in his system. But seeing as that you have an abnormal blood, it may seem like that to him.”

Jungkook’s heart started beating faster at those words.

“Many has died before him, your blood burning their insides and leaving them to die. He was the first to survive, but you had to take him away.” His father’s tone changed as he spoke the last words. He then breathed before he spoke again in a calmer voice, “But no worries. I just realized that this was an opportunity after all. It would become a way to test my experiment. It won’t be long, he’s going to wreak havoc and the police will try to detain him. They can’t capture him, so they’ll decide to kill him instead. If he dies, then it was a failure. If he succeeds, then it will only be the beginning of my—"

“Shut up!” Jungkook stood, all the things in his room being pushed back by the force of his movement. He unlocked the door and pulled it open, only to be met by his father smiling at him warmly despite the blood the reeked on his skin. It gave him shivers.

“You finally came out, son. Come with me.” His father beaconed him down the stairs. Jungkook just followed his gaze on his father but never moved an inch in his position. The older man looked back at the unmoving raven and sighed. “I have something to show you. Or rather, someone.”

Jungkook’s heart skipped a beat, immediately thinking of the one person he has learned to care for. His feet moved on their own, bringing him forward towards his father. For some reasons, the things that surrounded him were no longer pushed away or broken. Jungkook didn’t know how he suddenly gained control of himself once again.

He followed his father, ignoring the eerie look on his father’s face and the creepy grin he had on as he walked ahead of him. His father brought him back to his lab and Jungkook shivered as he recalled what he had seen the last he’s been there. He steeled himself when he entered the room.

He was surprised and livid at the same time as he saw Seokjin tied to a chair.

“Seokjin!” Jungkook yelled as he rushed towards the unconscious man. He held his face and glared at his father, “What did you—”

“This flower was looking for you.” His father said, “I just brought him here, so he could meet you.”

Jungkook turned to glare at his father, “How—no, he wouldn’t come here! Seokjin doesn’t know where I live, and I know, he doesn’t remember me.”

“Because you erased his memories of you when you rescued his cousin?” His father continued, which caused Jungkook’s eyes to widen. His father chuckled upon seeing his expression, “Son, you think that that boy was the only successful experiment I had?”

His father rolled his sleeves up in front of him and showed to him the scars he had acquired over the years. Jungkook felt like vomiting as he looked at the many injection marks and stitches that marred his father’s skin.

“I injected your blood into my body as well. And then everything was better from then on, I can know things from a glance. That night when you tricked me, I was only caught because you were the source of my power. It seems that you’re immune to me then.” His father said before he smiled, “But I found a way to control you.”

Jungkook growled as he heard those words. He raised his hands and levitated his father once again, only to have the man laughing at his actions. Just then, Jungkook felt a groan from his side and he glanced to see Seokjin slowly waking.

The elder was groggily opening his eyes before his gaze landed on Jungkook then to his levitated father. Seokjin’s eyes widened in fear as he stared at the floating man. In that exact moment, Jungkook’s hold on his father was released as he turned to Seokjin. “Seokjin,” he said, “Are you alright?”

Seokjin was unable to reply as he stared at Jungkook’s father in fear, “He f-flew.”

Jungkook’s heart clenched at his trembling voice and he apologized, “I’m sorry. You weren’t supposed to see that. I’m—” Jungkook’s tears welled up, threatening to fall. He was choking in his own words as he felt fear grow in him again.

“That’s your weakness.” He heard his father chuckle behind him. Slowly approaching them before Jungkook went on guard, “You cannot function well around him. I knew that by a glance. As soon as I saw his face, I immediately knew. He was the only one who can control you.”

“How could I have been so stupid? How could I miss such an important thing?” His father laughed, “I’ve always wondered where I went wrong, it was just that all along. When God created the world, there was man, before a woman was created. The two were made to be together, but everything fell when Eve took the forbidden fruit from the serpent. We were banned from paradise. And that was the fall of mankind.”

Jungkook failed to see where his father was going. He understood nothing, he never understood anything.

 “If I wanted to create a new mankind—a better one. I have to make two that completes each other. One cannot function without the other,” His father said, “my son, as powerful as you are, you can never break against the control of this boy. And your powers will fail to have an effect on him. You may erase his memories, but they will always come back.”

“I don’t understand,” Jungkook said, backing away from his father.

“You don’t. But you don’t need to.” His father smiled, “All you need to know is that from now on, you’ll follow your father’s orders unless you want this boy hurt.”

Jungkook took a glance at terrified Seokjin before stepping forward, “I won’t follow you. And I won’t let you hurt him.”

His father smiled before he pressed a button on a remote Jungkook didn’t notice he had hidden in his pockets. It caused Seokjin to scream in pain behind him and Jungkook turned to Seokjin before he felt himself get weakened by it as well. He kneeled and panted to the ground as his heavy breathing matched Seokjin’s.

“Just like Adam and Eve, both of you are a part of each other. A part of him is a part of you just as a part of you is a part of him.” His father stated with a smirk, “If he gets hurt, you get hurt as well. If you get hurt, then it will hurt him. Interesting.”

Jungkook looked at his father as he breathed heavily. What he saw in front of him, Jungkook thought, was not his father. This was not a man.

This was a monster.

That was his last thought as he felt another pulse of pain before he collapsed. His father’s grin was the last thing he saw before everything faded to black.


((This is the 2nd part. Up next will be the third and last part of Chapter 7 before we go back to the present. And I'll drop a question here; if Jungkook's powers don't have any effect on Seokjin, why do you think Seokjin lost his memories?))