Eighteen.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Eighteen.

 

 

 

Dear Editor,

 

I’ve been an avid follower of your magazine ever since you released your issue Bath Essentials: a Special Collection (Volume 3, Issue 14). I’m subscribed to your special annual subscription, and I always look forward to reading new copies of the magazine. Recently, I’ve taken interest in the column, Know Thyself by Dr. Jung and I must say it’s the essence of your magazine. It definitely has led me into reflecting on a lot of things in life –my outlook on other people’s lives especially. 

 

Your magazine has helped me get through the harshest times, especially when I was bed-ridden with an un-diagnosable ailment (which the doctors found out later could be cured by raspberry oil miraculously). I was left with no choice but to turn to your magazine, and I must say it was of great help. The doctors even claim the magazine played a vital role in my recovery, along with the raspberry oil. So, I decided I must write in a feedback to extend my gratitude towards Dr. Jung and the rest of the columnists for having such a positive effect on my life.

 

I always feel the magazine writes articles I can relate to. Looking forward to the latest edition, ‘How to deal with a bossy cousin: a Special Feature.’

 

Thank you.

 

Sincerely,

Kang Juyeon.

 

~~~

 

It took me forever to get the episode done. For starters, I was completely distracted from my thoughts about Yixing’s ex-girlfriend. And then, Kyungsoo kept calling me, threatening me to cut down my bonus if I didn’t release the episode in a few hours. I can’t work well under pressure! He knows that. Anyway, I did manage to finish it half-heartedly. And I deliberately left it at a cliffhanger to get more reviews from the viewers. Always works. They’ll keep guessing what would happen next. Also, it isn’t just any cliffhanger – I’ve left Momo on the verge of death, and the bad guy (who may or may not look like Chanyeol) is taking over the world with his hypnotizing power. And the people are helpless…and all that cliché. People still watch this stuff though. And it makes me money, so…I wouldn’t complain.

 

I’m about to make myself some dinner when my doorbell rings. Wait, is it Mum? No, she would get back only tomorrow. She claims to have gotten a tan; I don’t how that would work out for her. Apparently, she made quite a few friends on the trip too. She seemed quite excited on the phone, and I’m incredibly happy for her. This is the first time in the past few years that Mum has been able to go on a vacation, without having to worry about any of us, well mostly my father because he just can’t get by on his own.

 

I make my way to the front door and unlock it, only to find Yixing grinning at me widely. Like usual, his tie hangs around his collar loosely, his sleeves are rolled up and his eyes look tired. How does he manage to look so attractive in a plain white shirt?

 

“Hey!” Yixing waves at me coolly and offers me a box of some kind. “These are for you.”

 

“What are they?” I ask, flipping the box open to look inside anyway. Oh wow, they smell delicious. Wait, is this some trick? Does he think he could win me over with a mere bunch of red velvet cupcakes?

 

“I asked them for extra frosting,” Yixing chuckles. “Just the way you like it.”

 

Oh, well, I suppose he’s figured out my weakness for sweet things. “Thanks, Yixing,” I beam at him. I guess I could let him off. He did have a genuine reason to leave early in the morning. “How was work?” I ask as I settle down on the couch.

 

“Tiring,” Yixing groans. “There’s a lot of confusion going on, you know with the current state of monetary affairs, and the huge split – a lot of companies will suffer loses. You must have read about it in the news.”

 

I have no idea. I don’t know what he’s talking about. I usually skip the business section if I read the papers. I mean, they’re awfully boring, and most of the times they comprise of black and white articles with a frowning bald man’s picture. Yeah, like that would appeal to the readers. At least, the climate change ones are interesting.

 

I nod at Yixing as if I know what he’s saying. His ex-girlfriend would have definitely known what he was talking about. She might have been able to give her views on it too. Didn’t Jisoo mention they worked together? Does that mean they get to see each other all the time? That’s not good. How could you be comfortable working with your ex? Or maybe they had a clean break-up. But that just makes me feel worse. I’d rather they had a huge fight and ended things than parting ways amicably. Because, that would mean they could get back together any time!

 

Yixing chews on his lips and scans my face for a second, before laughing softly. “There was an internal tiff in a leading financial corporation. They’re splitting their shares into two groups. Imagine you were making your Webtoons with another person, then one day you have a fall-out and decide to divide the episodes amongst yourself equally. But the other person takes the episodes with a crucial turning point, without which the rest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter