Eleven.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Eleven.

 

 

 

I get off the cab and pay the driver. After dinner, Yixing and I did end up at the movies. He fell asleep half way through. And I, being the considerate person that I am, didn’t really wake him up thinking he needed the rest. Okay…fine! I didn’t realize he’d fallen asleep because I was really immersed in the movie. I mean, they had an intriguing plot with the mystery bots and stuff, although it was a little childish, considering it was actually meant for children. We happened to be the only adults there, who weren’t there with kids! But hey…why can’t I watch movies meant for kids? The Lion King is my all-time favorite! And I do admit that I cry every time I re-watch it.

 

Anyway, so it was only until the credit scene that I realized Yixing had fallen asleep. His head was rolled back, lips were slightly parted and he was snoring softly. If I could have just left him there to sleep, I would have. But then, everyone had started leaving and I certainly didn’t want to spend the night in a movie hall. So I ended up nudging him slightly, which caused him to jump reflexively. The poor guy was really disoriented, I don’t blame him he’d been working all day and then I had dragged him to that ice-skating rink. So, I asked him to head back home to get some sleep and assured him I could take a cab back. Now that I think, I forgot to tell him that I did enjoy our date. Maybe I could just text him later. Perhaps, I could make more plans?

 

I really don’t know where this is going to lead us – it could be a short-lived fling for all I know, maybe I wouldn’t even see him after Bona’s wedding. But I’ve made up my mind to not over-think anything anymore and just live in the moment. It’s something that I’ve failed to do until now. Or maybe that was because Chanyeol’s always been a little too organized, he believes in making schedules for months ahead. I remember once he had built up an itinerary for a trip we were about to make during Christmas in May! And it didn’t even work out in the end, his grandmother was adamant that he spent Christmas with her instead, and I was forced to go on that trip with Bona. Anyway, Chanyeol’s schedule-planning thingy may have rubbed off on me a little bit. But now, I feel free to not do the things I used to do when I was with him. It’s as if I’ve been given a chance to find myself again.

 

I rummage through my bag to find my keys when I see Chanyeol sitting on the front-porch. What is he doing here? What does he want? He waves at me and gets up as soon as he sees me. He then eyes me fumbling through my bag. I know what he’s going to say. I know it. Three…two…one…

 

“This is why I’ve always told you put your keys in that small pocket of your bag,” he says. This is the probably the hundred and fifty-sixth time I’ve heard him say it. “Can’t find your keys, can you?” he laughs. Normally, he would have given me a disapproving look. But now he’s laughing. Maybe being with Bona’s made him happier! “You’re never going to change, Juyeon,” he sighs. “You’re just so clumsy. Give me your bag.” He extends his hands to take my bag. I don’t wish to give him my bag!  Anyway, what is he doing here in the first place?

 

“What do you want, Chanyeol?” I question. He wouldn’t just visit me out of the blue. Did I mess-up something else again? Is his aunt allergic to flour now?

 

“Bona’s not in town and I’ve misplaced my keys. I was wondering if I could crash here for the night.” He towers over me to look into my bag. I had forgotten how much taller he’d been compared to me. I always use to tell him that I wasn’t short, and he was the one who was abnormally tall! He used to laugh in response and say, “Whatever you say, midget!” And I used to giggle coyly like a moron in response!  It wasn’t even cute or anything! Okay maybe he did mean it in an endearing way…No! Forget it.

 

“Just crash at Bona’s mum’s place,” I retort. Who does he think he is? He dumps me and then wants me to let him stay over? I get that it’s been a few months, and that he’s marrying my cousin and stuff, but I wouldn’t be okay with this – with letting him stay over. I simply don’t want to be around him.

 

Chanyeol shoves his large hands in my bag and retrieves my keys immediately. Okay, Chanyeol’s always done that for me. I’d lose our apartment keys, because my bag is just a ‘huge garbage dump with unnecessary things’ as Chanyeol called it. And Chanyeol would somehow dig through it and miraculously retrieve the keys. Then he’d reprimand me for the next ten minutes about how I could work more efficiently if I were a bit more organized. In my defense, I did try. Well, at least I started tidying up my room and closet just for him!

 

Chanyeol walks over to the front door to unlock it. “Chanyeol! I’m serious, you can’t stay here!” I say.

 

“It’s late, Juyeon. I don’t wish to disturb Mrs. Kim,” he sighs. “I didn’t think it would be such a big deal to you.”

 

What? A big deal to me? I want to smack his face! He’s making it seem like I’m still moping about our break-up (which I am, sort of), while he’s the cool one who doesn’t find it awkward to spend the night at my place.  Okay, fine!  I’ll just let him stay. That’d prove that I’m really indifferent towards him. I read somewhere that the opposite of love isn’t hate, it is indifference. And I’m going to be indifferent towards Chanyeol!

 

“Fine, whatever,” I say, crossing my arms. “Stay. Go. Do whatever you want.”

 

“Thanks,” he grins, taking off his shoes and setting them on the shoe rack. He knows his way around, he’s been to my parents’ house a couple of times. My parents were even cool with him staying over in my room. I suppose they thought we would end up getting married or something. I mean, they were quite fond of him. Mum always thought it was a miracle of sorts that someone like Chanyeol had picked someone like me! At least now she has nothing to worry about.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter