ONE

One of the Girls

ONE

 

 

 

 

 

A young man with large dark-framed glasses sat quietly at the back of a small café. The place lit with warm lighting, giving off a comfortable and relaxing feeling. It was an inviting place where high school and college students idly chit-chatted with one another. Despite wearing his rather dull school uniform, the young man seemed to fit perfectly at ease with his environment. He appeared quite calm and patient—only occasionally glancing at his watch to check the time.

“I’m going to be late for class if I keep waiting for her here…” he thought. He sighed, reaching for his brown over the shoulder backpack. “I should have known she wouldn’t have shown up…”

Before he could stand up, a tiny, fragile-looking girl ran up to him and slammed her palms on the table. The young man jumped in surprise, dropping his backpack on the floor. The people inside the small café stared at the commotion in the back.

“Where do you think you’re going Cho Kyuhyun!” the “fragile” girl screamed. Kyuhyun just blinked, getting over his initial surprise, and then relaxed. He was used to this girl’s actions and was not fazed at all.

“You’re late,” he said simply as the girl pouted-slashed-glared. “I have more important things than waiting for you, Ara-babo.” He smirked when she blew a gasket.

“YAH! I’m your noona! Treat me with respect, you brat!” Ara wailed flailing her arms wildly.

“Why should I treat someone as stupid as you with respect?” Kyuhyun countered, haughtily. “I didn’t fail my third year of high school,” he added just to spite her.

Ara pursed her lips and did the only thing she could counter against her brother; she punched him on his shoulder. Hard.

“OW! Why did you hit me?” Kyuhyun complained rubbing the sore spot.

“You were being mean to me again. No wonder you have no friends…” Ara pouted, crossing her arms across her chest. Kyuhyun was about to retort when she began speaking again. “You’re being mean to me when I had good news to share too!”

Kyuhyun sighed. That was all he needed to hear in order to not do whatever she wanted. Whenever Ara had good news it meant bad news for him. “Before you even mention your news, I am not covering for you no matter what.” He leaned back against the chair he was sitting on and waited expectedly for Ara to say what was on her mind.

“Yah, Kyuhyun…” Ara pleaded. “I’ve covered for you many times…”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. “When I was ten you told eomma and appa I ran away from home. If that’s what you call covering…”

Ara waved a hand nonchalantly, as if mentally shooing Kyuhyun’s thoughts. “Details, details. I was twelve and brainless back then.”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to comment on the brainless part, but stopped shaking his head. “That seems way too easy.”

“Can you please do this one thing? After this I’ll never ask you for a favor again.”

Kyuhyun looked skeptical, but seeing the genuine look on her face, he couldn’t help but want to give in. “But giving in means my pride will be shattered.” He shook his head. “No can do.”

Ara sighed with fake exasperation. She wasn’t going to use this method, but her cute little dongsaeng wasn’t cooperating with her. “You leave me no choice, Kyuhyuie,” she said too sweetly for Kyuhyun’s taste.

“I have a bad feeling about this….”

Reaching into her purse, Ara took out an old picture, much to the normally stoic-looking boy’s horror. Kyuhyun reached out for the picture to rip it with his bare hands, but Ara was too quick. She mockingly waved the picture in front of him and said, “We wouldn’t want appa and eomma finding out about this little incident, would we?”

Kyuhyun wanted to slap that mocking grin off of Ara’s face. She had no right to blackmail him like this! Ara gave him an expectant look, challenging him to defy her.

He was at a loss. He had no choice. Either letting something he retreated ever doing leak out, or doing something (whatever it is) for his sister that may or may not be legal.

“Fine! Fine! I’ll do it! What is it you want me to do?”

A wide, triumphant smile spread across Ara’s face as the words that would change Cho Kyuhyun’s life, tumbled out of her lips.

“I need you to go in my place at school.”

 

 

<<<<<<<<<<<{}>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

“HAHAHAHAHA! OH MY GOD! ARE YOU SERIOUS?”

I feel my head is going to explode from Donghae’s loud, annoying chortles. The embarrassment I feel is nothing on the joy my so-called “friend” is having at my misfortune.

I slouch, leaning against the park’s bench for support. Sungmin is sitting next to me on the bench, while Donghae is standing in front of us, bending over with his hands on his thighs, laughing. I regret telling them about noona’s “request” (especially Donghae).

“Yah, Kyuhyun-ah, are you going to do it?” Sungmin nudges me, making me look at him. I glance back at Donghae who is still laughing up a storm.

I’d kill him if I didn’t have a crazy noona to worry about.

“Omo, this perfect,” Donghae stands up, wiping a tear (that , laughing so much he cries). “Who would have thought the mean and emotionally detatched Cho Kyuhyun would have such an evil and manipulative sister. How’s a taste of your own medicine, Cho?”

I ignore, Donghae and opted to answer Sungmin’s question. “Unfortunately, she gave me the ultimatum.”

“What could be so bad that you have to, erm, dress up like a…girl,” Sungmin awkwardly stutters. I roll my eyes.

I don’t want to mention the picture to these two (especially Donghae).

“Let’s just say she has something that she could use against me,” I say elusively.

Donghae raises an eyebrow and leans forward. “Otherwise known as blackmail? You? Ara-noona has blackmail on you?” He smirks leaning closer. “Now I gotta hear this.”

I shoot him a dark look. There is no way I’d ever tell him something like this. I notice his legs are directly in front of me so I kick them down. He yelps in pain, clutching his leg. I smirk in triumph.

“Aish…at least I’m not going to be a cross-dressing WEIRDO!” he shouts, pointing at me, gaining the attention of couple passing by. The couple looks at me with curious and strange eyes.

Eff you Donghae, eff you.

“Enough!” Sungmin scolds, grabbing Donghae’s finger, pulling him down to sit on the bench. He turns to me (like the concerned mother he is) and gently pats my head. “Our Kyu is feeling troubled. We should help him.” He smiles at me with amusement.

I grunt, swatting his hand away from me and cross my arms. “If you really want to help, then go in my sister’s place for me.”

“Why is she making you do this anyway?” Donghae finally asks a serious question. Shocker.

I shrug. To be honest, I don’t know myself. Noona didn’t even give me a chance to ask because she ended up leaving abruptly without telling me anything.

“Who knows? She hasn’t told me anything.”

That was noona for you. Always ordering people (me) around without telling them her real motives.

She’s an A-class idiot.

“How are you going to do this?” Sungmin adds to Donghae’s question.

I remember noona mentioning she’d get someone to help. She didn’t say who or when she’d get that person, but they were supposed to help me.

“A trainer,” I say simply.

Donghae suppresses a laugh. “A trainer? Someone’s going to train you to be a girl? I’m so going to these lessons.”

“OOH! Count me in too!” Sungmin exclaims, excitedly clapping his hands together.

I groan, rubbing my temples. “Only if you help me.”

“With what exactly? We can’t exactly go in that school with you,” Donghae points out. “Isn’t Mugunghwa Academy that all-girl boarding school? And why is she going there anyway? From last I heard she went to same school as us.”

I sigh and tell them why noona’s suddenly attending an all-girl school boarding school. My father, who works as a director at one of the greatest universities in Seoul, was naturally pissed off. How could the daughter of university director flunk her final year of high school? So, my father, angry with her pulled her out of school (for now) and made her get ready to attend the incredibly prestigious all-girl boarding school, Mugunghwa Academy.

“So?” I ask after letting them sink in the story. “Are you going to help or not?”

Sungmin looks thoughtful before he nods. “We’re you’re friends, Kyu. We’re always here to help!” He gave me a bright grin that almost made me smile back.

“Yeah, and plus I get to see you dressed in drag,” Donghae laughs, throwing his head back. “What could be better than to see the almighty Cho Kyuhyun be a girl?”

“I hate you,” I mutter, pinching the bridge of my nose.

“It’s fun being evil like this. Is this how you feel all the time?”

“Why are we friends again?” I say looking up to the sky. God if you have the answer, please tell me.

“YAH! No fighting. We love each other, right?” Sungmin says, grabbing both of our shoulders and locking us in a hug.

Donghae laughs, reaching to pat my back. “I’m just busting your chops, yae Kyu.”

“You .” I smirk and playfully push his arm.

The three of us laugh in the middle of the park not knowing about the impending disaster this “little” request is about to have on our friendship. 

 

 

 

 

<<<<<<<<<<<{}>>>>>>>>>>>

 

A/N: I made a new banner. Q-Q it’s so much prettier…

Anyways, I want to thank all of you who reviewed (and subscribed)! Sorry there isn’t much going on now. Since it’s the beginning of the story, I’m just establishing a couple of things. Yes, this story is going to be told entirely in Kyuhyun’s POV, with the occasional exception where it’ll be in the third person POV.

AND PLEASE REVIEW! it's the only thing that motivates me to write.