Chapter 6

Mother

Author's Note: I'm really sorry that I haven't uploaded in while, it's partly because I wasn't happy with the chapter and because I had what seemed like a lot to do... I'm sincerely sorry. Hopefully you enjoy this chapter.


“That will be 500 Won,” I said to a teenage boy.

He dug into his pockets looking for some change. After a while of flustered searching, he pulled out some notes and coins, however not before a lady behind him called out, “Hurry up! I don’t have all day.”

Usually I do not care to give a second glance to a client, today this lady made me look at her again. After JiWon… when I left I decided that I would do better in choosing the next target. Mother had thought my somber attitude was due to us leaving Jinhwan behind and partly it was, but a bigger part was watching JiWon fall apart and try to put himself back together.

I thought about the events and how JiWon felt about it. I was a bit shaken and it changed me a little, ever so slightly did I doubt Mother’s actions. The uncertainty never stayed long but it came back from time to time.

 

“Excuse me! Excuse me!” The lady waved her hand in front of my face, “I’d like to pay please,” she said. I stared at her blankly and with a deliberate slowness I scanned her items. “That will be 3 000 Won,” I said. She shoved the money towards me and left.

 

Some people label themselves targets faster than switching on lights and some just act in a way that makes people mistake them for targets. The rude lady at the store was sadly not an adulteress, she just needed a personality replacement.


It was raining the one night and I was taking out the trash when I heard voices. “Let’s stop. I can’t do this anymore! Please just let me go,” a female voice pleaded. “Aera… You wouldn’t make me go through this alone,” an equally sad voice answered. “Can’t you see that this is hurting me? It’s no longer about us or you; it’s about me and what I need! I’m going, don’t follow me.”

I gently closed the door and went back to stock the shelves. A few minutes later, a man came in with water dripping from his hair. He walked up to the counter and asked, “Can I get a black coffee? No cream or sugar please.” “That will be 150 Won sir,” the other assistant said. I looked up and studied him. The man looked tired and defeated as he took his order and sat on a stool facing the outside.

A few days later, a lady, looking withdrawn and plagued by dark thoughts, came in. She came up to me and inquired in a soft voice, “Excuse me, is Hyejin working tonight?” “She’s at the back but she’ll be here in a moment,” I answered. “Thank you,” she said with a miniscule smile and walked towards a table for two.

Hyejin arrived moments later, she seemed unsurprised to see her friend sitting at the table. They chatted for a while and Hyejin came by to buy a packet of sugar-coated coloured jelly sweets.

After a few hours, the friend left and Hyejin came by. “Thank you for covering for me,” she said to me. I nodded my head in acknowledgement. “She’s going through a tough time. I guess love really can tear you apart and piece you together completely,” Hyejin explained. She offered me a sweet from the packet, which I shook my head to. I frowned and asked, “What happened?” She looked at me trying to sense my intentions, “I know you’re not one to gossip so I’ll tell you, I mean I need help sorting through it.”

Hyejin took a breath and continued, “Minhyuk has always loved Aera even in high school it was apparent. Most of our friend group was certain that they would get together in the end. I don’t know what happened but Minhyuk ending up getting married to a girl that his mother chose. I’m not sure about the details but I do know that Aera fell for Minhyuk and are or well were together. I think Aera feels broken because Minhyuk didn’t choose her or fight for her. She broke it off with him a few days ago. They were actually here if I’m not wrong.” “I see,” I said monotonously.

Suddenly, the man, who had come in for a black coffee a few days ago, charged in. “I know that you can get in touch with her. I just want to see her again,” he said urgently while he grabbed Hyejin’s wrist. “Minhyuk… she doesn’t want to see you. You need to go back to your wife. Leave Aera alone,” Hyejin said softly but firmly. She shook her wrist out of his hold and looked at him. “You’re not doing anyone any good by continuing this. It’s not fair on either one of them. You chose 2 years ago, you can’t un-choose now.” 

“I know, but I can’t do this without her. At least we should say goodbye properly, we left things so unhappily that night,” he reasoned.

“How can you say that? You’ve been holding on too long, you should have fought for her if you wanted her so much. Now you don’t have the right to even be with her as a friend. Your wife found out didn’t she?” Hyejin said frustrated.

“It’s not like I had a choice,” he looked down and continued, “Yes, she should found out.”

Almost automatically I started to catalogue the details and formulate plans. Mother would want to know and I should prepare the necessary tools.

For a few months, I stalked Aera and I straightened out the last details. Although Aera had broken it off already, the crime had already been committed. The wife already knew and nothing in that marriage would ever be the same again. I reported back to Mother, plans were finalised and another home was already chosen. After a few weeks, police cars with flashing lights and reporters looking for a story surrounded another alley way that had a little red stream and a body with a carving on the sternum area.