LAL (live(d) and learn(ed))

Taking Care

“Hello, everyone and welcome back to Eoddiyah~ Tonight’s special guest is B1A4, who, in the last ten years, has managed to take the music world by storm and still have time on the side for love, fan service, and family. Tell us, guys—and lovely ladies—how you guys have managed to stay together for so long and what you guys have done in the time since meeting each other,” the host probed, his cheerful smile blinding you as you sat and wondered what to say. By now, your Korean was nearly flawless, but that didn’t mean the same crippling self-doubt that had hindered you in the past was not trying to find a way to creep back out.

            “O, relax~” Alex urged, nudging you lightly as the cameras and lights focused on the seven of you. “You’ll be fine, she assured you. You gripped Shinwoo’s hand with almost enough force to break it as your heart sped in your chest. Over the years, you all had done so much and become so much closer while managing to live your own lives. You thought about all the controversy that had once surrounded you and had enjoyed the relatively small limelight that barely glimmered on you all from time to time. Since then, B1A4 had been recognized for their talent, but the fame and sudden shoot to fortune did not diminish their charm nor humility. Each one of you—as you looked around at the five members that meant so much to you and each other as they had grown—had never forgotten what it meant to be a family despite the tabloids and outings like this. You wondered what to say, staring at everyone. Right now, Jinyoung was speaking, his soft voice masking the grandness of him becoming one of the most recognized and sought after composers in the industry now. How you wished he had spoken longer as you stumbled to put the words in order in your head. It was almost like being called to speak during roll call in your Korean class except this time, more than fifteen people were watching.

            “So, the big question is all about romance,” the host started. “The tabloids have been hot about who is with whom and it looks like you guys have managed to avoid any of the drama that has come with it. Over these long years, have you stayed together with anyone or has your heart wandered?” You bit your li as a bead of sweat formed at your temper. You hoped to god the cameras wouldn’t pick that or the fact your death grip on Shinwoo up.

            “Well—“ Baro began, his deep voice automatically putting you at ease.

            “Yes, I am still with Alex and it has been wonderful. Go ahead and show them, honey!” Sandeul exclaimed, cutting him off rudely as he nudged at Alex, who you could tell was now blushing madly as she struggled to cover her face with her hands.

            “Is that a ring I see?” the host interrupted. The crowd gasped.

            “What the heck?! You didn’t tell me you were getting married!” you exclaimed, adding to the spectacle as Sandeul continued smiling proudly.

            “Whoa, whoa, whoa. When did this happen?” Jinyoung jumped in, his soft features overcome with surprise. Baro gasped as well. Alex glanced over at Gongchan who was equally surprised.

            “Well, looks like you have some explaining to do, missy,” the host tsked playfully.

            “Alright, alright,” she resigned, halfway out of breath from the wave of embarrassment.

            “Well???” you pushed.

            “I didn’t want to say anything until the plans had been finalized and what not but—“

            “We’re getting married and it’s going to be nice and we’re going to have all these flowers and everyone is invited and—“ Sandeul rambled.

            “Sandeul~, you’re embarrassing the poor girl,” Shinwoo chuckled.

            “I am not~” he whined.

            “Of course you are; it’s what you do,” Gongchan joked.

            “Well, what about the rest of you?” the host inquired.

            “Well, I can’t say our love lives have been quite that interesting, but then again, I can’t speak on everyone’s behalf. I, for one, am married to the music, but I have been talking to this nice girl I met in a coffee shop,” Jinyoung stated mildly as a light blush crossed his cheeks. “I think all of us have just gone on different paths in our lives, but I am still very happy for all of us,” he added.

            “No worries, Sandeul is happy enough for himself and Alex. He doesn’t need us,” Baro shrugged with a wink towards the lovely couple.

            “Then what about you, Baro?
            “I don’t really do much. I’m still holding out for the day that Lenena’s sister falls in love with me,” he admitted. “Nena~ I’m still waiting for that hookup,” he cleared his throat obviously. You chuckled and rolled your eyes.

            “Lenena, is that true?”

            “Well, my sister is madly in love with him. It’s really cute. They’ve been talking for a bit now, but nothing has come out of it yet, obviously,” you explained, instantly forgetting your tepidness.

            “I’m still waiting~~” Baro reminded you.

            “Alright, alright, we get it, you hopeless Romeo,” Gongchan quipped.

            “O, don’t call me the Romeo when you’ve been the playgirl of the century,” Baro pointed out. The crowed “ooh”ed at the insinuation.

            “Gongchan, how many ladies have you been with thus far? Because you are still considered the face of the group, the tabloids have had it out for you as the romantic of the group as well. Last time we heard you were with Amber from F(x).”

            “No, no, no. Don’t look at me that way. I simply haven’t found the right girl yet. At least I am dealing with it well. Look, I don’t mean to break any hearts or anything like that, but I love who I love and that just hasn’t been shown to me yet. There once was a time when I would do anything to be loved and,” he paused, looking at you, Alex and the other members, tears pricking at the corner of his eyes. “And I’m sincerely sorry for that. I know that I have hurt a lot of people and again, that was never my intention. I look back at it now and I know this is supposed to be a happy occasion, but I can’t stop thinking about it sometimes. It hurts me to know that I hurt my family for something that I thought was true love, true love and revenge. I was really young and dumb ten years ago and thank God my friends and family, these people right here, helped me help them out of the problem I made for them. I’m just really sorry guys,” he confessed, tears already trickling down his cheeks. The host handed him a few tissues and the six of you gathered around him.

            “Look, I’d like to point out that we’re always family and we always have been. We have hurt each other, but we have also been through a lot with each other and that is what matters. We have done a lot in our lives, but to think we have walked away from it all and each other is absurd,” Jinyoung pointed out.

            “Yeah, we all forgive you, Gongchan. We’ve all put each other through too much but  like you said, it helped that we all stayed together,” Sandeul tried to assure him.

            “Yeah, for now, the past is the past, just something to learn from. We have plenty more years ahead of us,” Baro nodded.

            “You know, it really is nice to see you guys all like this, supporting each other. It happens all too often that bands just break up and don’t know what happened to each other outside of what is printed in a magazine. How do you think you guys do it? Shinwoo, we haven’t heard much from you today.” Shinwoo gulped, even that making your heart flutter. He was nervous, too.

            “Well, it’s not a question of how we stayed together. It’s more of how could we not.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I mean, after a while, when you have seen so much with a person or group of people, it’s like you can never step outside of that circle without feeling like you are missing something. These people here with me right now are those people, people I can’t live without, people I don’t want to live without.”

            “Do you guys all feel the same way?”

            “What kind of stupid question is that? Of course we do!” Sandeul shouted.

            “Well, except maybe Sandeul. He’s too extra,” Gongchan joked, garnering a scowl from the older member only for him to flip back a small heart with his fingers.

            “The point is, we are all one family here. I think that goes for a lot of bands and groups, too, even if people leave. They are still one in their hearts as are we. Fortunately, we keep in touch and know what’s up, mostly,” Baro added, glancing at Sandeul and Alex.

            “I mean, well, you don’t know everything~” Shinwoo hinted, holding your hand tighter.

            “And what is that supposed to mean? Of all people, you’re the easiest to read,” Jinyoung asked, raising an eyebrow.

            “Well, you didn’t know that we’re getting married,” Shinwoo shrugged nonchalantly.

            “W-wait, we’re what?!?!?!?” you exclaimed, shooting up from your seat, only to fall back into Alex from the sudden confusion. Of course, this tipped her chair over for she was also caught by surprise and the two of you dragged Sandeul down with you. Gongchan, Jionyoung and Baro tried to help, but somehow, you found a way to drag them down, too as your knees were weak from excitement and your head was spinning. Finally, just deciding to stay on the floor, amongst the confusion from the crowd and each other as the other managed to stand up, you looked up Shinwoo who was smiling down gracefully at you.

            “No, dear, you’ve got it all wrong. I’m supposed to be falling for you,” he reminded you with a smirk, a glint in his eyes. “Well, looks like we’ve just fallen for each other then,” he chuckled, sitting cross-legged across from you. The crowd and host, who were mumbling now silenced as the world slowed down for just the two of you. “Lenena, I know it’s been a long time and I know this isn’t the low profile that you wanted, but I want the world or anyone watching to know that I am in love with you and no matter how many messes we get into or how long we see each other, I always want more of you, more of you, more of your charm, more of your beautiful soul, more of your time, everything. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you do me the honor or marrying me?” he asked, sitting on his knees to pull out the velvet box of hope from his shirt pocket.

            “That was in there this whole time?! How did we not notice?!” Sandeul interjected, only for Alex to slap him and Baro to glare at him halfheartedly.

            “So? How about it?” he repeated, opening it to reveal the modest yet stunning ring inside. All the while, tears were racing down your face and you tried to find the words to express how you felt and though you couldn’t find them, you knew he already knew the answer as he slipped the ring onto your finger.

            “Just for the cameras, for everyone, shake your head, say yes, anything,” the host encouraged, himself tearing up. You happily obliged, pulling Shinwoo in for a surprise kiss. The others behind you clapped and cheered along with the excited crowd.

            “Omo, it’s so beautiful! I am so happy for you all and I hate to say, but we’re out of time, but everyone, at least one more time, help me celebrate the balls of sunshine that are B1A4. Good night, everyone~” the host concluded, dabbing at his eyes with his shirt as he exited the stage.

            “And you acted like I was the bad guy hiding my marriage,: Alex quipped, helping you up after nearly pushing Shinwoo out the way to do so.

            “Ok, in my defense, it’s not like he told me he was going to do this~” you reminded her.

            “Yeah, what the heck?! We didn’t know you had it in you to do that. Good job, bro,” Gongchan congratulated him with a friendly slap on the back.

            “I can be bold, you guys,” Shinwoo defended himself.

            “You’re about as bold as stale coffee,” Baro retorted.

            “But we still love you,” Jinyoung piped up.

            “Oh, so you agree?” Shinwoo asked, raising an eyebrow playfully.

            “That’s not the point. The point is we should go celebrate~” Alex changed the topic.

            “With food of course~” Sandeul cheered.

            “Oh my god, what are we going to do with you, Sandeul,” you chuckled, shaking your head.

            “The same as you do with any of us,” Alex suggested. You and Shinwoo cocked your heads to the side.

            “Live, love and learn,” Alex answered, causing the six of you to crack into a smile.

            “Now let’s go, the food out there isn’t going to eat itself~ Should we get sushi or ramen or—“

            “I love you so much, Shinwoo,” you whispered, lacing your fingers with his as you heard the others argue behind you over what to eat.

            “And I love you, our past and our future.”