Chapter 5

Loyalty


 

"Even when I close my eyes, I can’t sleep

I spend the entire night with thoughts of you

Your sparkling smile lets me breathe "

- Heaven; EXO-

 


The sudden downpour was inevitable. Pedestrians rushing towards shelters, shoulders bumping into one another, mumbles of quick apologies. Her footsteps were steady and unrushed, not even when the rain was soaking her; head-to-toe. The rain was like a blanket that gave her a sense of security, wrapping around her fragile body.

She came to a halt when a familiar cafe came into view. Her eyes roamed across the name of the cafe, 'Happiness Delight'. It was something she craved for; happiness.

At a young age, Junmyeon's parents were forced to take her in when her parents separated. Both of her parents wanted their freedom in life as they deemed they were too young when they had Soomin. Soomin realised, deep down, her parents regretted having her but those words were never spoken. Staying with her uncle was pleasant but she felt like she was intruding into their family. Her aunt didn't show any signs of annoyance but she heard complaints at night through the thin walls. When she turned 18, she decided that it was time to move out of the house, and stop being a nuisance to her uncle and aunt. Being the kind and protective cousin, Junmyeon moved out with her, out of care, also to keep an eye out for her.

Soomin snapped out of her trance as the bells of the cafe rang in her ears. Her gaze fell on the tall figure at the cashier. The cafe was at its busiest as people were taking shelter in the cafe.  His smile never wavered, the smile that was out of genuine happiness. Her eyes softened at the sight. He used to smiled at her with the same intensity. His large eyes would glisten under the dangling lights, with that silly grin plastered on his face. He was her ball of sunshine. Until that very night. She never seen such hurt exist in his sparkling eyes. She never wanted to see that expression on his face ever again. She vowed.

She stood there for a good 30 minutes, eyes never leaving him. The cafe was well-settled by then. He stretched his long limbs, waving his co-worker over to take over the front. He walked towards the clear windows, eyes brightening at the sight of the caramel-haired girl. She felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach, shattering into pieces.

Their interwined fingers, soft smiles, red cheeks, and the loving look he was giving her. It was pure love.

She couldn't take that from him. No. She wouldn't. 

Park Chanyeol was someone precious to her. 


Loving him was neither a choice nor a regret. She never once thought that the love she had for him would be requited. Although, there was always a tiny hope in her. He always treated her like a younger sister, but it all stopped after that incident. 

The day that she turned her back on him, the day when their friendship was broken.
 

"You promised forever and ever, remember? Can you live up to that promise?" Her eyes glistened under the dimly-lit lights. Eyes wavering, afraid of the rejection. His smile was warm, like always. His eyes curved into cresents as he spoke in an endearing tone. 

"Anything for my princess." 

 

She really believed that their friendship could last forever, or maybe turn into something more. But that was just her fantasy, her desire. Soomin wanted to be selfish, but she just couldn't do it. She needed to let go.


Sehun cleared his throat to get her attention. She was too deep in her thoughts to realise that he was standing right infront of her. She snapped out of her trance and stared up at him. Sehun stoic expression softened at the sight. She looked so broken. 

"It's Chanyeol hyung again, right?" He spoke in soft voice, afraid that his words could break her. She just nodded, afraid that her voice would crack at the mention of the boy. She felt a soft pat on her head. Soomin lifted her head, his brown orbs were staring into hers with warmth, it was endearing. Just having him beside her was a blessing. He gave her a sense of security which she loved.

She couldn't afford to lose this friendship.

 

=======================================



The disappearance of Sehun and Soomin was rather suspicious for the male. Jongin let his eyes wander around the cafeteria, searching for the two. 

"Stop trying to search for Sehun. You already know that he doesn't join us for lunch." Baekhyun's words were muffled as his mouth was filled with food. Jongdae gave him a look of disgust as he was spitting the food at the younger.

"Swallow before you talk, Baek." Chanyeol mumbled as he sipped on his drink, eyeing the older. Jongin tapped his fingers repeatedly on the table. Earning a look of annoyance from Junmyeon and Kris. Luhan was busy with his assignment at the corner of the table, ignoring the entire conversation.

"Don't you guys find it weird? Sehun and Soomin just disappears during lunch." Jongin voiced out his thoughts. Chanyeol's eyes perked at the mention of the girl, curious about what Jongin was going about.

"What do you mean?" Junmyeon's curiosity was raised as Soomin was suddenly mentioned in their conversation. Luhan shifted his attention to the tanned male, nodding in agreement.

"Yeah. I noticed. Especially during dinner that day, the two were getting along pretty well. It was really weird for Sehun to socialize with someone out of our circle." Luhan added to support Jongin's statement.

"Yeah. It was weird when Sehun called me that night, telling me about her condition. He seemed....worried?" Chanyeol was utterly confused at Suho's words. Sehun being worried over a female was rare, maybe rather impossible.  

"If you guys are so curious, just ask the maknae." Baekhyun retorted as he nodded to the direction of the doors. Six heads snapped to the direction he was directing at. Sehun strode to the table with his long limbs, face stoic as usual. 

"Hey maknae! Where did you go?" Baekhyun questioned the maknae in a teasing manner, wriggling his eyebrows. Six loud sighs were heard as Baekhyun was being too obvious. Eyeing the older with caution, Sehun pursed his lips into a tight line. 

"Were you with Soomin?" Chanyeol questioned in his usual cheerful tone. Sehun's head snapped to the direction of the older male, abit annoyed at his older hyung. 

 

"Why do you care?" 

 

Eight heads snapped to the direction of the feminine voice, looking up to find a glum Soomin by their table. Baekhyun and Chen let their mouths hang open at the sudden appearance of the girl, also getting caught at their little gossip. Kris, Junmyeon, Luhan and Jongin watch as the conversation unfold. The tension around the table was rising. Chanyeol gritted his teeth in annoyance. It has been a long time since they had a proper conversation. Their last proper conversation was the night that she had gotten drunk.

Sehun nodded at her statement. He wondered the same thing, why did he care? 

Chanyeol opened his mouth, ready to retort but was cut off by his girlfriend's sudden appearance. Taemi grabbed onto Soomin's arm as she beamed brightly at the table of boys. Jinhee trailed behind the girl, gaze fixed on Sehun, giving a small smile.

"What's going on here?" Taemi voiced, oblivious of the current tension. Jinhee settled beside Soomin, next to where Sehun was seated, earning a grunt of displeasure from Sehun. 

"We were just talking about how Sehun and Soomin disappears during lunch every single time!" being the smart mouth he was, Baekhyun added. Taemi and Jinhee was surprised at the sudden revelation. Jinhee stared at the girl in shock, with a hint of displeasure. 

Sehun sighed softly.

"Yeah, we have lunch together. What's the big deal?" He mumbled in annoyance. What was wrong with having lunch with a friend? He didn't see a problem in that. They just didn't see the need to tell their friends about their meet-ups. They both felt that it would a nuisance to explain to them.

Feeling a little overwhelmed by the attention she was receiving. Soomin rushed out of the door, not glancing back at the group of people. She quickened her pace, afraid that someone would pull her back to the suffocating tension.

She didn't like how Chanyeol looked at her. His warm smile vanished from his face when he saw her standing at their table. How his deep voice was so cold as if she had committed a sin. Soomin just wanted to hide. She could feel the growing feeling at the pit of her stomach. She could hear footsteps behind her but she didn't want to get caught. 

 

A harsh tug on her arm stopped her movement. 

 

Taemi was speechless when she saw her boyfriend running out of the cafeteria to chase her friend. She was so confused with the situation. She looked at Jinhee for answers, she needed assurance. Jinhee stared at Taemi with a solemn expression. She knew what was happening but she promised Soomin that she would never tell Taemi about her past relationship with Chanyeol but things have became so complicated. Sehun stood up from his seat, leaving the table without saying a word.
 

Soomin eyes widened at the sight of him. Chanyeol stared down at her, eyes searching hers. He need answers, answers that she had refused to tell him since then. He needed to know what happened that night. The silence was deafening, it was suffocating him. He grabbed her both of her shoulders, gaze piercing her through her. His fingers brushed against her fragile arms. Bruises would form at the intensity of his hold. Soomin felt the warmth seeping through his touch. Cold shivers ran up her spine as she knew, she would give in. Tears started to well up in her eyes, earning a small frown on his beautiful features. She wanted to smoothen the crease between his brows. Her glistening eyes stared into his dark orbs. He let the question that he was holding onto since that night slip through his plump lips.

"Why did you do it?" His voice came out as a soft whisper, begging for an answer as he fixed his gaze at the fragile girl.

"Why did you leave me for him? Why?" His eyes burned with fury as he recalled that night. He shook the girl, clutching onto her arms. The desperate look on his face shattered her into pieces. She broke her vow, the vow to never see this expression on his face ever again.

Soomin lips parted, a soft whisper left her lips. 

 

"Because I love you."

 

 


A/N: Finally up! Thanks for your continuous support! :)

gif: http://s10.favim.com/orig/160216/baekhyun-chanyeol-chen-do-Favim.com-4007155.gif

 

Luinoo.