Chapter 15

In A Deer's Eyes

There was no light source in the room so Jinwoo felt his way around, clinging to a wall as he walked.

 

“Jinwoo” Seungyoon hissed under his breath also clinging to the wall.

 

“Don’t fall behind.” Jinwoo whispered back as he continued on, his hands guiding him.

 

He hit a corner and felt his finger tips slide over the crack of a door; following the crease he found how to open the door.

 

As he pulled it open a small draft caressed his skin and inside he could see a dim light coming from a strange lamp placed on the wall on the right.

 

Jinwoo walked into the room; Seungyoon came up behind him and clutched at his shoulder, his fingers digging into him painfully.

 

“Ow, you’re hurting me.” Jinwoo snarled turning his head to glare at his friend when movement caught his eye.

 

Frightened he jumped back and Seungyoon made a weird squeaking noise and almost made them fall over.

 

“Wh-Who’s there?” Jinwoo spoke up, staring at the place where he’d seen the movement.

 

“Kim Jinwoo” Jinwoo knew that cold tone, a voice that pierced you like icy wind in winter.

 

“Dr. Nam!” Jinwoo felt relieved, but after a split second he remembered that the man had tried to attack him.

 

Cautiously he took a step forward; he felt Seungyoon’s hand tugging on his shoulder.

 

In the dim light he could see that there were metal bars between them and as he came closer still; the light illuminated Taehyun, revealing that the man’s arms were raised into the air by chains and rope.

 

His face was pale and all in all he appeared drained of energy as he struggled to keep looking up.

 

“Are you OK?” Jinwoo asked concerned as he gripped the bars.

 

“Sure, I’m fit as a fiddle!” Taehyun swayed where he stood in his usual sassy tone.


“No, seriously.” Jinwoo’s voice was slightly strained with worry.

 

Taehyun stopped moving, he seemed to be contemplating something.

 

While Taehyun was lost in thought Seungyoon came up behind Jinwoo.

 

“What the hell is going on here?” His eyes darted uncertainly about the room before they fell on Taehyun and his entire body twitched.

 

“Jinwoo! Wha-?” He began but Jinwoo cut him off.

 

“This is Dr. Nam” He explained while gesturing towards Taehyun who was just hanging there silently.

 

“But why is he tied up and inside a cell?” Seungyoon didn’t take his eyes off of Taehyun’s limp body.

 

“Well, he attacked me so he’s supposedly being punished for that.” Jinwoo felt sort of relieved that Mino hadn’t sent Taehyun to the underworld or whatever.

 

He looked around for a way to open the cage completely ignoring Seungyoon’s shocked reaction.

 

“Hey, help me get him out.” Jinwoo said as he parted from the spot he’d been standing in to wander along its side.

 

 “What?!” Seungyoon seemed frightened by the prospect.

 

“If he’s a criminal he should just stay in there.” Seungyoon stared at Taehyun, who still seemed out of it.

 

“Just help me!” JInwoo insisted, he really didn’t have time to wait or explain anything.

 

Seungyoon hesitated before he wandered off in the opposite direction of Jinwoo.

 

Jinwoo reached the wall and turned just as Seungyoon yelled out “Here’s a door!” from the other side.

 

Jinwoo quickly made his way to where Seungyoon was; in the dim light he could barely make out what was keeping the door shut, but he reached out and felt the paper between his fingers.

 

“There’s some kind of paper slip on here” Jinwoo grumbled aloud.

 

“What? Like one of those paper charm things?” Seungyoon looked down at where Jinwoo’s fingers were fiddling.

 

“Wait.” Jinwoo felt like an idiot and his hand into his pocket and took his phone out.

 

“I swear, how can we be so stupid?” He grumbled in a low voice.

 

The flashlight on the phone was so bright that it blinded them for a split second.

 

“Look, it looks like an old talisman” Seungyoon commented and touched the paper slip.

 

Jinwoo let go and Seungyoon grabbed it and pulled it off.

 

Once the paper was off the door swung ajar, they looked at each other with a look of confusion on their faces.

 

Jinwoo frowned and Seungyoon looked at him, slightly worried.

 

Jinwoo threw caution to the wind yet again and yanked the heavy door open.

 

He rushed inside and to Taehyun; when he placed a hand on Taehyun the man stirred and came to.

 

“Kim Jinwoo” he said again, his voice strained and his gaze was dull and drained.

 

“Seungyoon, come on! Help me!” He looked back at his friend who was hesitating at the door.

 

Seungyoon wavered, swaying from side to side before he bit his lip and took a deep breatj to puff himself up before he entered the cell and came to Jinwoo’s side.

 

“Hold him” Jinwoo gestured as he reached up to the ties that were holding Taehyun’s arms elevated.

 

To his surprised the handcuffs weren’t even closed; instead they were held in place with similar paper slips as was on the cell door.

 

He ripped it off and then untied the rope; Taehyun’s arm fell and was dangling lazily by his side while Jinwoo repeated the process on the other arm; it was a good thing that Seungyoon was holding on to him so that when he undid the final rope and Taehyun’s arm came down and he was now relying on Seungyoon.

 

Seungyoon groaned as the weight fell on him and he shifted his stance to remain standing.

 

Jinwoo grabbed Taehyun’s arm and threw it over his shoulder.

 

“Let’s go!” Jinwoo said and started forward; Seungyoon said nothing but together they managed to make their way out of the shrine.

 

Once outside they lay Taehyun down on the grass.

 

They both sat down on either side panting after making their way outside.

 

“Let’s take him to your place.” Jinwoo said between gasps for air.

 

Seungyoon looked at his friend in disbelief.

 

“Only until he wakes up OK?” Jinwoo gave him a pleading look.

 

Seungyoon sighed “Fine.” He grumbled and got to his feet.

 

Together they managed to drag Taehyun back to Seungyoon’s place; along the way Taehyun, though still dazed, managed to regain some control of his legs and helped them by walking a little on his own.

 

Once they’d gotten Taehyun into Seungyoon’s bed they both collapsed into their respective chairs.

 

“Well… what now?” Seungyoon asked looking at Taehyun passed out his bed.

 

“We’ll wait until he wakes up and then I’ll make him tell me everything he knows about me and what Mino did to me.” Jinwoo also stared at Taehyun, who was stirring in his sleep.

 

“You wouldn’t care to give me an explanation?” Seungyoon looked at Jinwoo; who scrunched his nose as he didn’t really want to.

 

“Hey, you keep complaining about people lying to you, and now it’s occupying my bed.” Seungyoon gestured, clearly annoyed with Jinwoo’s reluctance.

 

“It? That’s rather rude. He’s a respected doctor.” Jinwoo joked sarcastically, arching an eyebrow and eyeing his friend.

 

“Whatever! Just tell me what’s going on.” Seungyoon demanded gesticulating wildly.  

 

Jinwoo sighed, he pondered for a moment about how the other would react, because he had earlier dismissed his speculations.

 

“You didn’t want to listen to me earlier!” Jinwoo protested loudly, staring at his friend who stared back at him.

 

“Yeah, but then you hadn’t dragged my under the shrine to find a person, with paper charms the only thing to hold him in place!” Seungyoon complained looking over at Jinwoo.

 

“Fine, OK. So apparently Mino has done something to me, and because of whatever he’s done to me Taehyun tried to hurt me for reasons I am going to discover after he wakes up, and I’m going to find out exactly what they are!” Jinwoo leaned in closer to his friend who seemed taken aback and didn’t say anything.

 

Jinwoo looked at his friend and sighed, turning his head to look at Taehyun who was sleeping peacefully.

 

“Let’s just wait until he wakes up, OK?” Jinwoo calmly leaned forward to touch his hand to his face.

 

“Yeah… sure.” Seungyoon’s voice was slightly strained and he walked to the kitchen in a very stiff manor.

 

A few hours later Taehyun stirred and woke with a start; his brow furrowed and his eyes squinted tightly as he pushed himself up onto his elbow with a low grunt.

 

“Hey, you feeling OK?” a man’s voice asked him.

 

Taehyun groaned his eyes still closed as he tried to sit up a pair of hands grabbed him and helped him into a sitting position.

 

“Dr. Nam?” the voice asked again.

 

Taehyun groaned unhappily and just wanted the other to stop asking.

 

Taehyun opened his eyes, but he didn’t come face to face with Jinwoo as he had expected but with Seungyoon who was sitting on the edge of the coffee table watching him.

 

Taken aback Taehyun leaned away abruptly from the other looking rather bothered.

 

“Oookaaaayyy…” Seungyoon said under his breath finding the other’s reaction very odd.

 

“Jinwoo, he’s up!” Seungyoon turned his head and yelled out behind him.

 

After a short moment Jinwoo appeared and Seungyoon got to his feet.

 

“I’ll make some tea” Seungyoon said in passing and walked to the kitchen.

 

Jinwoo sat down in the spot where the other had just been seated.

 

Taehyun relaxed, but his eyes kept darting towards Seungyoon and all over the apartment.

 

Jinwoo followed his gaze and watched Seungyoon’s back as he bustled about the kitchen.

 

When he looked back Taehyun was still watching the other man.

 

“Dr. Nam…” Jinwoo began slowly.

 

“I need to eat.” Taehyun interjected hastily and looked at him.

 

“My powers have been steadily drained so I need some sort of energy.” His eyes were sort of pleading with Jinwoo.

 

“Fine. What do you want?” Jinwoo fought back his urgency.

 

“I don’t know…” Taehyun grumbled, as if not knowing what to say.

 

Jinwoo sighed deeply before he turned his head in the direction of the kitchen.

 

“Seungyoon, do you have any food available right now?” Jinwoo leaned back to see Seungyoon better.

 

The man in the kitchen stopped for a moment “I’ve got cup noodles and…” he opened a few more cupboards “canned vegetable soup…” he looked at Jinwoo and Taehyun.

 

“You heard him” Jinwoo looked at Taehyun whose face was blank.

 

“Whatever… just some food, anything is fine really…” Taehyun didn’t look at Seungyoon when he said it; not that the other cared, he shrugged and got a small pot out for the soup.

 

Jinwoo leaned in towards Taehyun who sat frozen in place.

 

“Dr. Nam…” Jinwoo began but the other cut him off while looking just about catatonic.

 

“Just call me Taehyun” He was staring straight ahead and didn’t even blink.

 

“Taehyun” Jinwoo tried again, his voice wavered and he felt uncertain about using his given name.

 

He cleared his throat and looked at Taehyun who was looking past him at the wall filled with pictures.

 

“Taehyun, I need you to tell me everything about what’s going on with me…” he braced himself and just as he’d taken a breath after finishing the sentence Taehyun was looking straight at him.

 


 

Btw have I told ya'll I like using cliff hangers? 

 

Sorry about the slight delay, I decided to watch SMTM5 instead last night...