"They Just Don't Seem That Special."

Mistaken Happiness

"I don't want to go home today." So Eun protested. They were about to leave the beach the next morning.
"Then where are you going to go?" Kim Bum asked.
"Just leave first; I want to stay here for a while." She replied. She looked down at her feet, she was wearing white flip-flops, and some of her feet were covered with the golden-colored sand.
"I'm not going to leave you here alone."
"Well, where are you going to bring me if you don't leave me here?"
"I'll bring to some place special."
"Special?" She said as she looked up to him curiously. "To Where?"
"Do you have your passport with you?" So Eun shook her head.
"Well, I guess we can take that option out." He mumbled, "Well... Let's just get into the car first, okay?" So Eun nodded, and followed him into his car.
"How come you're so nice to me?" So Eun asked as the car started to move.
"What do you mean?" Kim Bum asked, as he turned his eyes from the wheel to So Eun.
"I mean, what you did the other day. Dressing me up, that was to make Jae Joong's parents sorry right? You didn't have to do that."
"I did that because I was bored, and that wasn't anything big anyway."
"But..."
"No buts, let's go get something to eat first okay?" So Eun nodded, and looked out the window.
"Why do you always seem so sad, like cold to others? You really aren't like that."
"Do I?" He laughed. "I've never really noticed. I've been like that since I began high school."
"Why? I mean, you're so nice, and considerate."
"Maybe it's just you, I'm nice to." So Eun could feel her heart beating, faster and faster. He leant his face down, closer and closer to hers, until they were only about three centimeters apart. So Eun closed eyes, waiting for the kiss. Kim Bum let out a laugh. He returned back to his position before, and looked forward. "I thought you were special, but it seems like you're no different than all those other girls I've dated." He said. His voice was calm, and steady, and it had this kind of laughing tone to it. So Eun didn't know why she was disappointed, she hadn't met this boy for a long time, he had helped her, but that doesn't make him any different than any other boy she had met, why was she so disappointed. She should've been scared. She revealed a little smile at her stupid-ness, and looked forward also.
"Why would you think I'm special? I'm just a normal girl, like everyone else."
"I really don't know." They remained silent for the rest of the ride to the restaurant, and stayed silent throughout the eating process too. It was only after they had got on the car, when they broke the silence.
"I'll take you home?" He offered.
"I don't want to go home." She answered; she looked away from him and out the car window. "I'd really rather sleep on the streets right now, than go home." He laughed.
"I'm not going to let you sleep on the streets." So Eun revealed a smile, at least he still cared about her, she thought. "You want to come to my place for the night?"
"Your home, you mean?" She asked confused. Usually rich boys like Kim Bum, had multiple homes, whether it was a big mansion, or an apartment, it was usually designed with the newest fashions, and was made comfortable.
"Not really my home, but my apartment. I don't live there anymore; it's just somewhere where I use to relax with my friends."
"You mean Jae Joong? Isn't he your only friend?" She asked. She had never seen him with another friend, other than Jae Joong. Jae Joong seemed to have more friends, and was more social able, while, Kim Bum was quieter.
"I do have other friends, it's just Jae Joong seems to be the closest to me." So Eun smiled, so he does have friends, just he never seems to talk to them much.
"Would it be troublesome for me to stay in that apartment?"
"No, I just use it in my spare time, no one lives there anyways." So Eun nodded, thanked him.

"This is it!" Kim Bum said as he opened the door to the apartment. Shocked by the size, So Eun screamed, "You don't have to be that surprised." Kim Bum said as he revealed a smile.
"What do you mean? This is so big! It's at least three times the size of my house." She said, Kim Bum could see her eyes shining.
"This is considered small." He corrected, "Not big." He laughed.
"How can this not be big? This is huge! How can you only use this for you relaxation? I could be satisfied just living in this apartment my whole life."
"What about the food?" Kim Bum joked.
"Hmm… Would you deliver it to me everyday?" She laughed. The room was big, though to Kim Bum, it was only the size of his dining room in the house he had lived in. He was surprised by her reaction to such a small apartment. She must be living in a very small house, he thought to himself as he showed her around.
"There's food in the fridge, and I'll tell someone to get you clothes so you could take a shower later tonight."
"What's this?" she said as she ran toward a shelf filled with masterpieces, done by the best artists of Korea. She pointed to a vase.
"That's a vase." He laughed.
"I' know it's a vase, but… it's so different, unique, beautiful." It was glass, colored with orange, you could almost see through it. It seemed so fragile, so thin.
"We see those all the time, no big deal" He said as he turned toward the area with the sofas, and stylish chairs. There was a big bean bag beside the sofa. The floor was made of stylish stone tiles, and the area with the chairs, had a carpet, a rug, to make it seem more comfortable, and welcoming. Kim Bum took a seat in one of the chairs, and took a magazine from the little glass coffee table in the middle of the rug. He relaxed and started flipping through the magazine as he waited for So Eun to calm down, and finish touring. After she was all done, he showed her the universal remote, to the curtains, music, TV…etc.
"The bedroom is over there, beside the washroom. You could sleep there tonight. I'm going to leave now; I've got other things to do." She nodded, and walked him to the door.
"Oh! The keys are on the kitchen table if you want to go somewhere. I just didn't want to lock you out. If something happens, call me. If one of my friends comes up, just tell them that I told you to stay here for the night, and the apartment isn't available, okay?" She nodded her head, and showed him out.
"He calls this small… I wonder how big his house is…" She mumbled to herself when he left. She was thankful for meeting him, if not; she'd probably have to sleep on the streets tonight, since she really didn't want to go home." Kim Bum had left her recreation bag she had brought with her in the bedroom area, just in case she needed anything. Though inside there was just a camera, some old clothes, a towel, and a swimsuit. She wondered why he was so nice to her. When she was finished settling herself in the sofa, and had the TV for dramas. Her cell phone began to ring.
"Hello?" She answered, her eyes fixed on the TV. She had not looked on the caller id.
"So Eun? Where are you?" It was Hye Sun, she sounded worried, but So Eun didn't want to tell her where she was. She knew if she told her, Hye Sun would come and find her.
"You don't need to know, I'm safe, that's all you need to know."
"So Eun…"
"I don't want to listen to you; all I wanted to do was forgiving Jae Joong, and being friends with him again, nothing more! But why are you…. UGH!"
"So Eun… listen…" Hye Sun couldn't say anything more, because So Eun had hung up on her. "I just didn't want you to become hurt again, because of Jae Joong." She whispered as she closed her phone.

The home of Hye Sun seemed to empty, lonely now that So Eun wasn't here. Hye Sun had settled herself on a chair at the kitchen table. She had her laptop - provided by the school – and was trying to find a way of contacting Jae Joong. She must be with Jae Joong, she thought. He's the only person she has other than me and Hyun Joong, and if Hyun Joong didn't call me, telling me about her, then she must be with Jae Joong, she thought.
She searched on various websites, trying to find Jae Joong's number, using the company name, but having no luck at all. When she called the company, the secretary said she didn't know the number, and the president wouldn't speak to her, since she had no information about her at all. I just hope she's alright, she prayed and fell asleep on the sofa. She was waiting there, just in case So Eun would return.

So Eun was walking out of the bathroom in a bathrobe, she had just finished her shower, and was walking to the bedroom to grab the clothes Kim Bum had sent. She heard the keys turning in the lock, to the apartment, and scared, she grabbed the clothes, ran into the bathroom, as she hurriedly tried to slip the clothes on. It was a plain T-shirt, and sweat pants, it was comfortable, and easy to slip into. Just as the door opened, she finished changing, and opened the door to see who it was that had come in. It was Kim Bum.
"Are you alright?" He asked as she walked out of the bathroom. "You look scared."
"I was! I didn't know who was coming in!" She shouted as she took a seat the sofa.
"I just came up to see how you were doing. It looks like you're getting pretty used to this place."
"It' just like any other house, just bigger." She exclaimed. Kim Bum laughed.
"It's an apartment." He corrected.
"Oh! Same thing! It's bigger than my house, so I'll call it a house!" She said.
"Okay, did you get anything to eat yet?" She shook her head.
"I'll cook something for you." He said as he walked towards the kitchen. He made some ramen, with eggs, and bacon on top.
"You don't usually cook do you?" She laughed as she started to eat.
"Just eat your food, if not, I'll eat it." He said as he took a seat at the kitchen table, watching her eat. "You know, you're the first person to ever eat my food." He confessed.
"Are you serious? Then I must be very special." She said as she continued to eat. Kim Bum laughed.
"You are special. You're also the first girl to stay in this place too."
"Don't you usually bring you girlfriends here too?"
"No, they just don't seem that special." So Eun stopped eating, she could feel her heart beating, faster and faster. She didn't know why, but she could feel her face heating up, and knew at once that she was blushing. Kim Bum noticed, and knew at once the awkward atmosphere around them once he had said this, and changed the subject.
"So… you say this is three times bigger than your home… How big is exactly your home?" He asked curiously. So Eun finally realized the awkward atmosphere, and answered:
"It's three times smaller than this apartment." Kim Bum laughed.
"Great answer, now finish your food." After So Eun finished her food, they chatted for a little while, and Kim Bum left. So Eun was left alone in the apartment.

"Can you check a person's past for me?" Kim Bum asked his butler. He was also like a secretary for Kim Bum, and occasionally Kim Bum would tell him to do things for him.
"Who is this person's name?" The butler asked.
"She's named Kim So Eun."
"May I ask why?"
"There's no need to ask why, just check it for me, and report to me as soon as possible." He ordered, and sat down in one of the chairs in his room, and took the book from the coffee table in front of him.
"Of Course, Young master." The butler said, and rushed out of the room.

"Hello?" Jae Joong said as he answered the phone.
"It's me, Kim Hyun Joong." Hyun Joong said.
"I'm sorry, but I don’t' recall meeting a person named Hyun Joong."
"You know Kim So Eun right?"
"So?"
"Is she with you right now?"
"No, why do you ask?"
"She's disappeared, and has said nothing but she is safe. I'm worried." Hye Sun had called Hyun Joong, and had told him everything. He remembered seeing his phone number when he accidently opening So Eun's diary years ago, and had recorded it, just to find out who he was, but had forgotten. He went through the box where he put all the things he didn't use anymore, and sure enough, he had found the number.
"What's your relationship with her?" Jae Joong asked, suspicious.
"I'm her old crush, and her sister's boyfriend." Jae Joong froze at the word 'crush'. He seemed to still have feelings for her; maybe that was why he had frozen. But he shook his head, and came back to his senses.
"Well, I don’t' know where she is, so… "Jae Joong didn't know what he should say next, should he go look for her? He took a deep breath, and said: "If she wanted you to know where she was, she would have contacted you, so please don't call again." He hung up, and worried, he called So Eun.

"Hello?" Jae Joong asked when she answered the phone.
"Jae Joong?" So Eun said in surprise.
"Are you alright?"
"Of course I am! Why won't I be?"
"How come this guy named Hyun Joong just called me saying you disappeared?" He asked worriedly.
"Oh… I didn't want him to know where I was…"
"Where are you?" He asked.
"Kim Bum gave me a place to stay tonight, so I'm not going to be sleeping on the streets, don't worry. I'm fine." She comforted. She could hear the worry in his voice; she didn't want him to be worried about her.
"Okay… Do you want me to come visit you? Or I could give you a ride to my place; it might be more comfortable here."
"No thanks, I'm fine here. Thanks for the thought." She said as she hung up. "He seems so worried, what if I told him that I'm running away from home, because of him?" She pushed away the thought, and went to bed.