Meeting Jae Joong Again.

Mistaken Happiness

"Lalala." So Eun hummed as she walked to school. It was a fine day, the skies were blue with the white fluffy clouds, the sun was out, and didn't seem like it was going to be a bad day. So Eun's mother was worried again, even more worried than last time, also more annoying. 'Be sure to do this, be sure to do that...' she remembered her mom saying. She waited patiently at the bus stop, for about ten minutes, but still waited without a word. After about a minute or so, Hyun Joong arrived. He was driving his new car, a blue Toyota Corolla that he bought recently.
"Get in." He said as he reached to open the door for me.
"Huh?" I said in confusion.
"I'm driving you to school, get in." He laughed. I smiled and seated myself in his car.
"Why did you decide to drive me to school?" I asked when we started moving.
"I just could imagine you getting lost on your way to school, or something happening."
"Thanks, are you saying I can't protect myself?"
"I never said that." He confessed. I made a face, and looked out the window, away from him.
"It's so beautiful. I've never been on this side of the city before, it's so different." I said as I watched the flowers, trees, and beautiful scenery pass by.
"Yeah, it is pretty, well after all it's for the rich. If it's not pretty, or grand,then why would the rich come here?"
"Education?" I guessed. Hyun Joong let out a little laugh.
"No. Some of them don't even care about education So Eun.
"Then why do they come?" She asked curiously.
"You ask one of them when you meet one." Hyun Joong laughed. So Eun nodded her head, and continued to look outside the window. They had arrived, and in the front of the school was a big sign stating "Korea International"
"Ko-ree-a--inn-ter--" So Eun tried to pronounce the English, written under the Korean, but Hyun Joong pulled her away with her saying:
"Let's go, you don't need to know the English." So Eun nodded her head, and followed him.

They filled out some forms, and signed some papers in the principal's office. It was big, about twice the size of So Eun's home; it was almost like a little house of itself. It had the living a room area, made of a few brown leather sofas', and a glass coffee table in the middle. There was a library area, made of three book shelves, two on the wall, and one across from another, forming a miniature, three sided square. There was a long table beside the book shelves, and lots of chairs seated neatly beside the table. The principal's desk was huge, almost as big as So Eun's kitchen, and books were neatly piled on one side, a desk lamp in the far middle side of the desk, and a computer on the other side.
"Welcome to our school" He said as he reached out his hand to shake theirs. So Eun nervously took it and shook it. Hyun Joong shook it afterwards.
"So, I'm going to leave now, take care. If anything happens, call me, alright?" Hyun Joong asked. I nodded.
"I will, don't worry about me. Go. You have things to do too don't you?" I pushed him towards the huge black metal school gates that I had come in through, and waved good-bye when he looked back. He was wearing his worried face. Why? Was there anything dangerous here? I walked and walked through the school courtyard, thinking was there anything wrong? Why did he look so worried? Thinking, not paying attention, I bumped into a boy. His hair was black; he was wearing a white uniform, and looked almost like a model.
"I'm so sorry!" I apologized.
"It's okay." He said, and looked at me. "You're not wearing a uniform, your new here?" He asked. I nodded. "I hope you have a great time in this school." He said and started to walk off. Though he stopped, someone was calling his name.
"Kim Bum! Won't you even wait for me?" He said as he caught up with the boy. He paused to look at me, just as he touched Kim Bum's shoulder, and our eyes were fixed on each other. I couldn't believe it, it can't be him. My eyes started to fill with tears, it had been so long since I had seen him, and it was just unbelievable. "So Eun." He said, his face looked surprised, shocked though yet it had that sad expression in it.
"I don't want to talk to you." I said as I started to leave.
"So Eun." He said as he got hold of my arm. I stopped.
"What do you have to say? Sorry?" I turned around so that I faced him. "Three years ago you left me, what am I supposed to do when you come back? Forgive you?" I asked In Anger. My fists were clenched, and tears were streaming down my eyes. "I know it was hard for you to even tell your parents about us, but do you know how hard it was on me when you left?" I shouted, as I swung off his hand on my arm, and ran away. Was this what Hyun Joong was worrying about? Jae Joong? I asked myself as I sat under a tree on the other side of the courtyard. It was quiet here, and so peaceful. I cried, and just couldn't think of anything, but how Jae Joong had left me Three years ago. Then I noticed the boy from the morning, Kim Bum, Jae Joong called him.
"Are you okay?" Kim Bum asked as he handed me a handkerchief. He sat down beside me.
"I'm fine." I said as I looked away from him.
"You really should've seen Jae Joong three years ago. How sad he was."
"Really?" I laughed. "Why would he be sad for me? Am I that special?"
"Everyone has a special person in their heart, and you were always that special person to Jae Joong."
"Jae Joong. I don't know, how special am I to him if he can't even tell his parents about us?"
"True, but if you weren't special, would he be that sad for you? Would he look like he just did now if you weren't special to him?"
"What do you mean?"
"I've never seen Jae Joong like that, his face, so pleading, so agonized. I've never seen him like it." I still had tears in my eyes, but they had stopped falling.
"I met him four years ago. He was so different from all the guys I've met, so special. He was so cold to others, though he always would reveal his smile to me, and I fell in love with him. We started dating, and he told me he wouldn't tell his parents about us, because he knew his parents wouldn't accept a girl from a poor family like me."
"Wait, you're poor? Then why are you in this school?"
"My sister's boyfriend knows this school's principal, and he allowed me to come in."
"Oh, I see." His face changed, “Alright, I got to go to class now, you know where your classroom is right?” I nodded. “Okay, I’m going, bye.” He said and left.
“Kim Bum!” I shouted, he stopped, but didn’t turn around. “I think that’s your name, but thank-you.” He didn’t reply, he continued to walk, and never even turned his back once to face me.

“I can’t believe I saw her again.” Jae Joong told Kim Bum. “I thought after I left her that day, I’d never meet her again.” He was sitting on a chair in the school courtyard, and was looking to the ground.
“Jae Joong, how come I never see you like this when you break up with your other girlfriends?” Kim Bum asked. “Come on, I know she’s special to you, but you don’t have to be that unhappy.”
“Kim Bum, you won’t understand, So Eun was so special, so important to me, and I left her, I pushed her away.”
“Why did you do it then?” Kim Bum asked.
“I… My mother found out about her, and she didn’t like her.”
“So you broke up with her?” Jae Joong nodded.
“How could you do something like that?”
“I don’t know, I just had to leave her alright?”
“Okay, whatever.” Kim Bum said as he walked away. He’s so stupid, Kim Bum thought. He should’ve just gone with her. If she’s so special to him, he shouldn’t give her up for anything.

So Eun walked to class, once again thinking of Jae Joong. Don’t think of him! She thought to herself. You can’t think of him anymore! She found a desk at the back of the room, and sat down. The desk was brown, made of oak, and was nicely polished. It shone in the light, and reflected So Eun’s face like a mirror. The chair was as tall as So Eun, and was almost like a computer chair, you were able to move up and down, and spin. A laptop was sitting on top of her desk, a few books on the top edge of her desk, and a lamp on the middle edge of her desk, just like the principal’s. Class flew by, and with the laptop, she could take notes just by typing, instead of writing. She wasn’t really the fastest writer, so she usually missed a lot of information the teacher had said before.

“So Eun, I just hope that you’ll meet someone nice and fine for you in that school.” Hyun Joong mumbled. Why am I doing this? I can’t use So Eun. He stood up, and got ready to leave, when someone pulled on his arm.
“If you don’t do this, our company would never survive, and we’ll be left with nothing.” The man said. Hyun Joong closed his eyes, and took a deep breath and said:
“I have to go; I can’t use her like this.”
“You’re not using her, well not completely. You’re giving her a nice school, a nice life… that’s all you’re doing.” The man persuaded. “She’ll be alright.” Hyun Joong swung off the man’s hand, and sat back in the chair. Out of the corner of his eyes, a tear fell down.