Chapter 35

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 35

 

Days have gone by and still Hyuna has not woken up. Seungsung worried and feared the worst for his daughter. Sohyun was living with guilt and regret. Her only sister would not be lying in a coma had she not threatened her to marry Jiyong. 

 

Sohyun approaches the bed where Hyuna rested on. Her knees felt weak. There was a lump in and she felt herself choking on words she couldn’t say at the moment. Looking at Hyuna in this state tore at her heart.

 

“Hyuna, I’m so sorry,” Sohyun cried softly as she held onto Hyuna’s hand. “If I could take it all back, I would.” 

 

Sohyun bit back her hiccups. Her eyes didn’t leave sight of Hyuna’s pale face. From behind Sohyun heard the door open. She turned her head slightly to catch a glimpse of her father entering the hospital room. 

 

“The doctors have no new update on Hyuna,” Seungsung said inching closer to his daughters. He placed the back of his hand against Hyuna’s forehead. Her skin was cold with little to no warmth. It hurt him more than anything to see his daughter like this. He let out a sigh. “The police still believe Hyuna is a suspect in that man’s death.” 

 

“Hyuna would never,” Sohyun defended. 

 

“We both know that but they’ll never believe us.” 

 

“We’re going to be alright, right, dad?” There was a glimpse of hope in Sohyun’s eyes but Seungsung saw it diminishing slowly. He could tell Sohyun was trying hard to stay strong and positive. He knew all too well that Sohyun wouldn’t be able to keep up for much longer. Not after the loss of her mother. 

 

Seungsung nodded wanting to assure Sohyun that the future is unpredictable and to stay strong a little longer. “Always.” He took Sohyun into his arms. “No matter what happens, we will always have each other.” 

 

“It’s not fair.” Sohyun finally let it out. The frustration and anger that had long been inside her has finally been let out. “Everything that’s happened to us isn’t fair.” 

 

“I know sweetheart. It’s ok to feel that way but we can’t lose hope.” 

 

“Hyuna doesn’t deserve this.” 

 

“She will wake when she’s ready.” 

 

Sohyun nodded. She feared for the worst but was still hoping for the best. Right now her main concern is her sister’s condition. She’s already lost her mother. She could not lose Hyuna too. 

 

***

 

Jihyun quickly packed her belongings into her bag. She hurried in fear that the person she cared for, loved and befriended would come to her. She could take the fire at Zico’s house as an accident but seeing Hyeona’s reaction to finding out that Zico somehow survived was nothing but terrifying. Now Zico’s dead and Hyuna, her twin sister is the prime suspect and laying in a coma in the hospital. 

 

It didn’t take long for Jihyun to piece two and two together. Her best friend did it. Jihyun cried. She was truly heartbroken. She could no longer protect her best friend. If it is happiness Hyeona’s chasing, this wasn’t the way. 

 

Jihyun felt like she was abandoning her friend. There was no other way. Once she leaves, Hyeona would be alone. But there was Jiyong. She would be happier but at the cost of all those lives. Jihyun had a feeling that the reason why those people died were because they knew her secret. Hyuna was left to blame so that Hyeona wouldn’t get caught. After all they were identical twins aside from the hair color, no one would be able to tell them apart. 

 

She wanted no part in anything else. So that’s why she decided to leave. Packing up the last of her belongings, Jihyun rushed out the door. She was startled to see who was behind her front door. 

 

“Jihyun.” 

 

“Hyeona?” 

 

Jihyun was startled by Hyeona’s sudden appearance. Her hair had changed. It was like she was looking at Hyuna but her eyes... her eyes were dark. She wasn’t Hyuna. She didn’t expect Hyeona to stop by. Even though Jihyun trembled internally, her face remained calm.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” Hyeona asked looking at the bag Jihyun carried. 

 

“Yeah, I’m moving,” Jihyun lied.

 

“Moving?” 

 

“I decided to move back with my parents.” 

 

Hyeona nodded. “Alright then. Why do you seem so scared?” 

 

“Scared?” Jihyun chuckled. “I mean I haven’t seen them in years, I guess that’s why.” 

 

“Hmm,” Hyeona hummed in agreement. “Or are you afraid of me now?” 

 

“What?” The fear in Jihyun’s eyes was not hard to miss. Hyeona could see past them. 

 

“Jihyun, you know of the things I’ve done,” Hyeona said. “Are you running from me?” 

 

“Hyeona...” 

 

Hyeona stepped aside. Jihyun stood paralyzed in her spot. Hyeona tilted her head indicating for Jihyun to go. 

 

“I would never hurt you, Jihyun. You know that. My secrets are safe with you and I know that. So go wherever you want. I won’t even contact you.” 

 

Jihyun took a step forward, trying to pass by as quickly as she could. Her body stopped when she felt Hyeona’s hand grip onto her arm. 

 

“However...” Hyeona leaned into Jihyun’s ear. “If word gets out about my role in these deaths, I will find you. Don’t think that I won’t.” 

 

Jihyun hurried out of there. Hyeona watched as her only friend in life left her. It was true what she said. She would never hurt Jihyun. She knew Jihyun knew everything but Jihyun would never tell due to fear and due to her loyalty to their now dead friendship. Hyeona killed this friendship. Hyeona accepted this fact because she was the one who ended it. Jihyun wasn’t at fault. 

 

“Thank you and I’m sorry.” Hyeona said. The hint of sadness that came with those words were left unheard by the person she needed to hear them.

 

***

 

The Kwon household was silent. Eunju sat with Lydia inside the living room. There were many thoughts inside Eunju’s mind leaving her heart feeling heavy. She heard from Seungsung that Hyuna had no new update on her status, meaning that Hyuna wasn’t getting any better but it also meant she wasn’t getting any worse. There was still that strand of hope they all held onto. 

 

A sip from her hot lemon tea, took away those thoughts for a brief second. She let out a defeated sigh. Eunju still worried for her son. She has not been seen Jiyong for days. 

 

“Delivery for Kwon Eunju,” the mailman said. 

 

“I’m not expecting anything,” Eunju said taking the packet. “Who is this from?”

 

“I’m afraid I don’t know,” the mailman replied. “There’s no sender or return address. Only you named as the recipient.” 

 

“What’s in the packet?” Lydia asked. 

 

Eunju ripped the packet. One glimpse inside and packet almost slipped through her fingers. 

 

“My necklace...” Eunju reached inside pulling out her stolen necklace. She looked into the packet again and noticed a piece of paper. “There’s a letter as well.” Her hand reached for the paper, unfolding it with her fingers. 

 

Eunju’s eyes widened. Everything in her hands fell onto the floor. 

 

After seeing Eunju’s reaction, Lydia picked up the piece of paper and read it for herself. Her reaction was no different from Eunju’s.

 

Hyeona gave this to Zico. I’m returning it to you. 

 

“Hyeona?” Lydia spoke softly. 

 

“What about me?” The sweet soft voice came from across the room. Hyeona walked closer to the both of them. She noticed the discomfort and suspicion in both Lydia’s and Eunju’s expressions. 

 

“Hyeona...” 

 

Hyeona‘s eyes widened when a hand suddenly came into contact with her face. The sudden gesture really took Hyeona by surprise. Her cheek tinted red and a stinging sensation was left behind.  

 

Hyeona took one step back, eyes focused on Eunju’s expression. “Mother... why?” 

 

“Mother!” Jiyong shouted as he entered the room. He quickly ran to Hyeona’s side. “Why did you hit Hyeona? What’s the meaning of this?” 

 

Eunju ripped the paper from Lydia’s hands. “Explain to me why your name is written on this piece of paper?” She crumpled the paper in her hands and tossed it at Hyeona’s foot. “My stolen necklace has now been returned to me but not without mentioning your name, Hyeona.” 

 

Hyeona shook her head. “Mother, I’m not sure what you mean? I did not steal your necklace.”

 

Eunju wasn’t convinced but she wanted to hear the rest of Hyeona’s story before making her final decision. She eyes Hyeona to proceed with her story. 

 

“I would never steal from you.” 

 

Eunju’s lips curled into a bitter smile. “Who’s Zico, Hyeona?” Hyeona froze at the mention of his name. 

 

“I don’t know who Zico is,” Hyeona cried.

 

“You’re lying to me, Hyeona.” 

 

“Mother...” Jiyong spoke up. He felt Hyeona curling up to him. Her body was shaking slightly. 

 

Hyeona’s heartbroken expression was a real show. The tears in her eyes fell down her cheek. 

 

“Mother, I...” 

 

“There will be no wedding. I will not accept you as my daughter.” 

 

“Mother!” Jiyong said. 

 

“I’ve said it and I will not repeat myself, Jiyong.” Eunju’s voice was strict, almost intimidating. “If you choose to still marry Hyeona, against my wishes, you will not inherit a single won from this family. I will leave you with nothing.” 

 

“What?” Hyeona looked up to Jiyong. This couldn’t be. 

 

Jiyong pulled Hyeona closer. “As long as I’m with the person I love, I don’t need the money you and dad worked for. You can’t stop us from being together.” Jiyong kissed the top of Hyeona’s head. “Don’t worry.” 

 

Hyeona buried herself into Jiyong’s chest. She was shaking, not from crying but from the anger that is now boiling over. She’s been exposed partly but none the less this ruins her plans to live the life she always deserved to live. Eunju was another obstacle and Hyeona knew how to get rid of her obstacles. 

 

That same night, Hyeona left Jiyong’s side and roamed the hall of the Kwon mansion. All her hard work seemed to have shattered right in front of her. She didn’t come this far to lose. 

 

It would be her last night in the Kwon mansion according to Eunju. Hyeona didn’t argue. She didn’t have to. Jiyong was leaving with her. There was a slight satisfaction that Jiyong would never leave her. He was too much in love that he’d choose Hyeona over his own mother. 

 

Hyeona stopped walking when she heard Eunju’s voice coming from the staircase. Hyeona peeked over and listened in. 

 

Eunju was on the phone. It was late and there was no one else up besides the two of them. 

 

“Are you sure Seungsung?” Eunju asked. 

 

Hyeona wished she knew what her father was saying but she could tell this conversation was about Hyuna. Hyuna, the one Eunju loves and adores. Hyeona stepped out quietly. 

 

Eunju began heading to the top of the staircase too busy conversing to notice Hyeona’s footsteps behind her. Hyeona easily reached her arms out and pushed against the fragile human in front of her. 

 

Eunju screamed, tumbling down the stairs. Hyeona watched coldheartedly as Eunju fell to the bottom. 

 

Eunju looked up and saw Hyeona standing there at the top. Her vision was blurry but she swore she saw Hyeona glaring at her with such hate but now she sees worry and fear in those same eyes. Her head was throbbing from the impact. 

 

“Mother!” Hyeona shouted. “Jiyong! Mother fell! Someone help!” 

 

Hyeona rushed down the stairs and to Eunju’s side. Eunju tried to crawl away from Hyeona but Hyeona grabbed her gently. 

 

“Mother, you should be more careful,” Hyeona said. 

 

“You...” 

 

“Mother, you’re not feeling well right now. Are you hurt anywhere else?” 

 

Eunju shook her head, weeping softly. 

 

“Mother!” Jiyong shouted running down the stairs. He looked to Hyeona. “What happened?” 

 

Eunju couldn’t stop weeping. She knew in her heart that Hyeona was the reason why she fell. She was pushed. She felt it. She saw the look of hate in Hyeona’s eyes. That look she would never forget. 

 

“Mother fell down the stairs,” Hyeona replied. “We should help her get back into bed. She said she’s not seriously hurt.” 

 

Jiyong nodded, lifting his mother into his arms. He carried her up the stairs and back into her bedroom. Hyeona followed closely behind. 

 

Jiyong set Eunju down gently. “Are you sure you’re not hurt anywhere, mother?”

 

Eunju shook her head. She didn’t want to speak with Hyeona present. 

 

“I’ll call the family doctor and have him come over at this time.” Jiyong looked to Hyeona. “Can you watch after her for a moment?” 

 

“Of course.” 

 

Jiyong smiled at his mother before leaving the two of them alone. 

 

“You pushed me,” Eunju said. 

 

“You’re sick,” Hyeona said. “I think you’ve hit your head too hard, mother.”

 

Eunju shook her head but it was throbbing harder now. “No, I know you did it. You pushed me down. You—”

 

“You will find anything to blame me with, won’t you, mother? Are you going to tell Jiyong? Even if you do, he will never believe you. You and I both know you’re son is more in love with me than he cares for you. He’s already willing to leave everything behind for me including you.” 

 

Hyeona’s words were drowning out in Eunju’s mind. She fought to stay awake until Jiyong returned. 

 

“Tell me, why can’t I have happiness? Why must you, my father, Hyuna and everyone else stand in my way?” 

 

Eunju groaned in pain, holding onto the back of her head. 

 

“Hurts doesn’t it?” Hyeona smiled. “Oh, Jiyong, you’re back? What did the doctor say?” 

 

Jiyong reentered the room with his phone in hand. “He’ll be here as fast as he can. Hyeona, you should go get some rest. I’ll watch after my mom.” 

 

“Goodnight, Jiyong.” Hyeona looked down at Eunju. “Feel better, mother.” There was a bitter emphasis on the part ‘mother’ that Eunju didn’t miss hearing. 

 

Eunju waited until Hyeona left the room. Her tears poured out more. 

 

“Mother, what is it?” Jiyong asked worriedly. 

 

“Hyeona did this to me.” 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello, I’m still alive yes. I’m still here and I’m back but don’t expect too much. I’ll be updating and writing but not too frequently lol I’m still a busy person but I have not forgotten about my stories. As usual not edited. I hope you’re all safe and doing well.