Chapter 12

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 12

 

Everything was beginning to feel real to Hyuna and Jiyong. Like Eunju promised, the wedding would take place in a month. Eunju wanted Hyuna to have a say in her wedding, as if she could say no. Somewhere in her heart she wanted this month to go by slow. Go slow that Jiyong would, maybe, in his heart change his mind and not go through with the wedding.

 

As Hyuna stared into the mirror trying on wedding dresses, she couldn’t help but feel so empty. Hyuna sighed and held the dress up so she could walk outside the dressing room. She felt eyes gazing at her and that made her breath stop.

 

Eunju stood up and helped fix the dress so that it’d fall perfectly onto the floor. “Do you like this one?” Eunju asked smiling lovingly at Hyuna. “It fits you beautifully.”

 

“Thank you,” Hyuna said.

 

“You’ve tried on so many today,” Eunju said. “Do you think you have one in mind?”

 

“They’re all beautiful dresses,” Hyuna said. “You should choose for me, Lady Eunju.”

 

“Please, call me mom,” Eunju said. “It’s your wedding. You should decide which dress you wear. I’m only here to support you and it seems,” Eunju looked around the empty room, “I am the only one.” She looked down disappointed but still managed to smile. Hyuna looked down too, not wanting Eunju to see the look in her eyes.

 

“You’re not the only one,” Seungsung said stepping into the room.

 

Both Eunju and Hyuna looked up. Immediately Hyuna stumbled towards him, leaving a smiling Eunju to watch this moment unfold.

 

“Father,” Hyuna said hugging him.

 

“I’ve waited for the day that I’d see one of my daughters in a wedding dress,” Seungsung said bringing tears to Hyuna’s eyes.

 

Hyuna stopped her tears from falling. She nodded her head as she bit her lip to keep herself from whimpering. It was always her father’s words that had such an effect on her.

 

“Oh, where’s Jung-Hwa and Sohyun?” Eunju asked looking behind Seungsung.

 

“They weren’t able to make it,” Seungsung said.

 

“Oh, why not?”

 

Hyuna shook her head. “Do not worry about it. I’m sure they had other things going on. I understand.”

 

“Still, they should make time to be here,” Eunju said, brushing Hyuna’s black hair out of her face. “Have you chosen a dress yet, my dear?”

 

Hyuna nodded. “I have.”

 

Hyuna walked to the back of the dressing room and looked at the long laced mermaid wedding dress hanging on the wall. Her eyes let out a few tears looking at the dress. Then her head looked down at her feet. This wasn’t meant for her and she knew it deep in her heart but everything was happening so quickly.

 

Looking up, Hyuna turned to the mirror and stared at her reflection seeing nothing but a sad soul. She quickly removed the wedding dress from her body and changed back into her casual clothing. Exiting the dressing room, Eunju and Seungsung waited for her before they all left the store.

 

Hyuna bid Eunju goodbye before leaving with her father. She sat in the passenger seat quietly as her father drove them back home. The entire ride was silent and Hyuna was thankful for that. Her father didn’t question her even once. He would steal glances at her but knew that Hyuna would speak when she wanted to. As they entered the home Hyuna went straight to her room, locking herself inside.

 

She didn’t even get a chance to take a breath before her phone began ringing. Hyuna pulled out her phone and looked at the caller I.D and for a second just stared at it. She sighed before answering.

 

“Hello?” Hyuna said a bit too quietly.

 

“Is something wrong?” Jiyong asked.

 

“No,” Hyuna lied.

 

“Don’t lie to me,” Jiyong said.

 

“If I told you, you won’t agree to it,” Hyuna said. “I’ve asked of you many times.”

 

There was silence for a moment. Hyuna could still hear Jiyong’s breathing on the line. He sounded calm but she knew he was thinking.

 

“Do not forget the engagement party tonight,” Jiyong reminded. “I’ll pick you up soon.”

 

“No need,” Hyuna said trying to find an excuse to avoid her future husband. “My family and I will all arrive together. It’ll be less trouble—” Her sentence was cut short when she heard Jiyong chuckling low on the line.

 

“Why do you try so hard to avoid me?” Jiyong chuckled. “You’re my fiancé. Remember that.”

 

With that being said, Jiyong hung up the phone before Hyuna could speak. She slowly placed the phone down from her ear to the side. Jiyong was right. The engagement party was tonight. She had been preoccupied with everything that she had completely forgotten. Even Eunju didn’t remind her. Perhaps she thought, Hyuna had known.

 

Like Jiyong promised, he arrived early and Hyuna’s eyes looked up to meet his dark ones. She adverted her gaze elsewhere while walking up to his car. Jiyong opened the door and Hyuna climbed in. Jiyong climbed in and drove off.

 

“Do not be nervous,” Jiyong said capturing Hyuna’s attention.

 

“Why would I be?” Hyuna asked looking at Jiyong as his eyes focused on the road.

 

“There will be many people tonight,” Jiyong said. “Stay close to me at all times, understand?” He turned to Hyuna, making direct eye contact. “Do not leave my side tonight.”

 

“Ye—Yes,” Hyuna said.

 

Jiyong smiled at her stuttering and how she looked away. Hyuna still won’t open up to him but he could see it slowly unfolding. It’s probably all in his head but he knows that they could never go back to how it all was before. Too much has happened since. All he wanted now was to forgive and forget.

 

Arriving at the mansion, Jiyong took Hyuna’s hand and led her to his bedroom. The bedroom that they’d both share soon. As they entered the room, on the bed was a black long sleeved, laced dress already prepared for her.

 

The maids began preparing her for the event. Jiyong watched on from behind on the foot of the bed. His arms were crossed against his chest and he stared at her reflection with such interest that it made Hyuna uncomfortable.

 

“Why do you keep looking at me?” Hyuna asked.

 

Jiyong stood up and walked towards the mirror to fix his black satin tie. He then turned his head to Hyuna who looked up at him. He smirked before leaning down, trapping her in place. Hyuna shifted in her seat and looked around at all the maids whispering and laughing at how cute they were. Hyuna turned back to Jiyong, eyes shooting daggers. He leaned down teasingly and Hyuna pulled away as far as she could. His lips touched her cheek softly and then turned into a satisfied smile.

 

Jiyong pulled back and Hyuna crossed her arms against her chest in irritation. Jiyong smirked once more. He took a lock of Hyuna’s black hair in between his fingers and stared at it.

 

“I want her blonde,” Jiyong said.

 

“What?” Hyuna asked horrified. She turned to the maid who was rushing over to them. “No, no, please.”

 

“Why?” Jiyong asked. “It…” his eyes traced her body then back to her eyes, “suits you better. Don’t you think?”

 

“Jiyong—”

 

“Alright,” Jiyong said. “Have her ready soon. I’ll go greet the guests. Don’t take too long.”  

 

Jiyong walked down stairs where he could see the guests greeting one another and laughing. Many congratulated him, others just stared. They all knew that he was still trying to cope with the loss of his father.

 

“Mr. Kwon,” Teddy said. “This is Jiyoon.”

 

“Nice to see you again, Jiyong,” Jiyoon said. “I don’t know if you remember me or not.”

 

Jiyong shook his head. He had seen her face before but he didn’t remember her much.

 

“Congratulations,” Jiyoon said. “I can’t wait to meet your fiancé.”

 

Jiyong smiled back to be polite. It had been almost half an hour and Hyuna still hasn’t come down. He decided to take matters into his own hands and excused himself. He returned to his room and opened the door to find Hyuna directly behind it. She looked up with surprise at how close they were. Jiyong stood still unable to move. His eyes kept staring at her. Hyuna was the first to look away.

 

Holding his hand out, Jiyong cleared his throat to get Hyuna’s attention. Hyuna took his hand and together they walked back down where all eyes were on them. Jiyong was right. Right now Hyuna could feel the nervousness building up inside of her. Jiyong gently squeezed her hand to let her know that he was right there with her.

 

He leaned into her, “Just stay with me.”

 

Hyuna nodded, following closely to Jiyong.

 

“Excuse me but who is that woman with Mr. Kwon?” Zico asked.

 

Teddy turned to see who Zico was referring to. When his eyes saw Hyuna standing next to Jiyong, he half smiled and returned his gaze to Zico.

 

“Oh, that’s Kim Hyuna,” Teddy said. “Mr. Kwon’s fiancé.”

 

Fiancé.

 

Zico nodded his head, pursing his lips. His eyes traveled up and down Hyuna’s body. He took another sip from his glass of champagne before heading over to them.

 

He thought he needed more of an introduction. Not just the usual but he wanted to see the look on her face when they meet again. He felt furious. The past few months, he hadn’t forgotten about her but it seemed like she had forgotten about him. He wanted Hyeona to know how he felt. The reality that Hyuna is engaged to a wealthy man enraged him. Zico sneakily stretched his foot out in front of her as she walked with Jiyong.

 

Hyuna gasped before realizing that she was tripping onto another man. The man wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her onto his body. Their eyes met but it wasn’t the reaction Zico expected to get.

 

“I’m sorry,” Hyuna said.

 

The little action caused everyone to stop and stare. Jiyong could hear whispers in the crowd of people. He glared at them. Every single one of them who dare talk fowl of him and Hyuna. He scoffed to himself at their little remarks. His eyes looked to Hyuna who was still in the arms of the stranger.

 

The stranger had been holding onto Hyuna for far too long and Jiyong did not approve. Jiyong took a hold of Hyuna and pulled her away, a bit too rough but no one seemed to notice the look of discomfort on Hyuna’s face. Jiyong didn’t like the way the stranger was looking at her. The stranger looked at her as if she were his. Wrong. He was so wrong.

 

“Thank you for catching my clumsy fiancé.” Jiyong made sure to emphasize fiancé. He wanted that stranger to know. Their eyes met with the same amount of fury and neither one of them refused to look away first. But the longer Jiyong stared at the male, the more the seemed vaguely familiar.

 

Zico’s lips curved into a half smirk. “My apologies, Mr. Kwon.”

 

“No need to apologize,” Jiyong said. “I only thanked you. Nothing more.”

 

Zico chuckled. “We haven’t met before. I’m Zico. I already know who you are but…” His eyes traveled to Hyuna’s. “Hello, Hyuna.”

 

Hyuna’s eyes widened upon her name being said so comfortably from his mouth. She felt Jiyong’s hand tighten around her wrist. She winced quietly, trying to pry him off of her without causing a much bigger scene. Jiyong turned his head dangerously slow towards Hyuna. He stared down at her with cold dark eyes.

 

Zico chuckled again and Jiyong’s attention reverted back to him. “It’s ok. Anyways congratulations.” Zico took one last look at Hyuna before turning away. Hyuna hid her face from both Zico and Jiyong. Tears were welling up in her eyes. She could no longer be here. Hyuna tried to walk away but Jiyong kept her still.

 

“We have a long night still,” Jiyong said, eyes following the direction Zico went. “Don’t think you can escape this now.”

 

***

 

Hyeona was surfing the channels inside Jihyun’s apartment. Her eyes lazily stared at the TV waiting for something entertaining to come on and yet nothing. She yawned quietly looking over at Jihyun who was reading a news article.

 

“You know there’s nothing interesting going on in the world, right?” Hyeona commented.

 

“You know there’s nothing interesting on TV, right?” Jihyun fired back.

 

Hyeona turned off the TV and threw the remote to the side. “Done. Your turn.”

 

“Just let me read,” Jihyun said flipping the page over.

 

“Fine, I’m heading off to bed,” Hyeona said.

 

Jihyun’s eyes widened as she came across a very interesting article. There was name that rung a bell in her head. A name so familiar.

 

“Kwon Jiyong?” Jihyun said barely audible but Hyeona was able to catch that. “Kwon Jiyong is getting married?”

 

“What did you say?” Hyeona asked. Her body began trembling a bit as she turned back to look at Jihyun in the eyes. She could feel her body temperature dropping and her heart felt like it had suddenly stopped. “Tell me, Jihyun… What did you just say?”

 

Jihyun gulped down her fear. She knew Hyeona heard her but she just wanted a second confirmation. She hesistated to answer back quickly and bit her lip softly. “Kwon Jiyong is the son of the late CEO of Kwon Enterprises. He is the next heir and he will be marrying someone next month.”

 

“Who?” Hyeona demanded darkly, stalking towards Jihyun. When Jihyun didn’t reply back in time, Hyeona became a totally different person. “Who is he marrying?”

 

Jihyun shrunk back in fear. “I don’t know but I read she was of high status. Daugther of Kim Corps or something like that.”

 

Daughter of Kim Corps.

 

Hyeona’s eyes hardened with hate. There was scowl on her face indicating that she didn’t like the news one bit. Her fist was balled up by her side with her nails digging into her palm.

 

“Kim Hyuna.”

 

“Wh—Who?”

 

“My sister!’

 

Jihyun gasped loudly, covering from shocking even herself. “Why would he marry her? I thought he loved you! This is… Oh my…”

 

“Jiyong’s marrying her because she looks like…” Hyeona turned her body towards the mirror. She looked at her reflection in horror then in anger. “Me.”

 

 

A/N: Not edited. Sorry for the lack of updates. School, work and life. Projects, reports and exams.