Chapter 20

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 20

 

The hot water burned every inch of Hyeona's skin but it eased the pain and ache of her body. She wanted to wash away all traces of that man. Her body was worn out but as she looked at the bruises on her body it sickened her to think about ever seeing him again. 

 

Her hands scrubbed hard against her skin as the tears rolled down her cheeks mixing in with the water falling over her head. 

 

That stupid bastard. 

 

She stepped back until her was against the cool shower wall and slid down onto the floor. With the sound of the shower running, Jihyun wouldn't be able to hear Hyeona's sobs. 

 

Truth was and if Hyeona was being honest, she felt like she would've been there forever if it wasn't for Jihyun finding her. Never had she met someone like him. Someone who made her fear for her life. It was scary knowing that maybe she wasn't as tough as she thought she was. He proved that. 

 

But being the survivor that she is, Hyeona vowed to never let that man or any other man do this to her again. 

 

Night turned to day and it surprised Hyeona how she had pretended as if nothing happened to her. She covered the bruises around her with concealer and BB cream. It was like everything that happened never did. 

 

A pair of arms draped over Hyeona's shoulder, startling her from her thoughts.

 

"How about we go out for brunch?" Jihyun suggested. "Hmm?" 

 

Hyeona gave in with a small smile. She nodded and Jihyun excited left to grab her purse. Hyeona turned back to the mirror and finished her signature look with her red lipstick. 

 

Brunch was going to be at a small restaurant not too far from Jihyun's apartment. Parking was hard to find though. After driving in circles, trying to find a place to park, Jihyun decided to just drop Hyeona off first.

 

"Are you sure?" Hyeona asked.

 

"Yeah you can save us a table, I'll find a parking space. Besides this place fills up quick so I won't mind the walk if I get the food." 

 

Hyeona stepped out of the car and watched Jihyun drive away. Before she could even turn to the restaurant, a voice caught her attention. Better yet, the name that the voice was calling. 

 

"Hyuna, you ungrateful child!" Jung-Hwa said loudly. Hyeona heard the roaring heels of the woman shouting at her. And did she call her Hyuna? "Your father is in the hospital but you're out here without a care. What? Did married life change you that much?" So she wasn't mistaken. The woman really did call her by his twin sister's name. That must mean that this woman was the woman her father remarried. Before Hyeona could retort back, Jung-Hwa spoke again. "Forget it. Look, your father did something terrible now he's paying the price for it. We can't afford the hospital bill because of him. So you need to pay." 

 

Hyeona scoffed at the statement, followed by a laugh. She turned around to finally get a look at the woman speaking to her. "Why is it my problem? Like you said he's paying the price. Looks like you're paying for it as well." 

 

Shock was written all over Jung-Hwa's face. She looked troubled as if trying to find the words to speak. "You dare speak to me like this?!" 

 

"I'm not afraid you," Hyeona seethed, stepping forward. "But as you're speaking to me now. I can tell you're afraid. I can see the fear in your eyes. Something tells me, my father isn't in the hospital because he did this to himself. You're the one who put him there. Aren't I correct?" 

 

Jung-Hwa gasped. "He did this to himself! Don't blame me! Now are you going to help him or not?" 

 

"Help him? Are you crazy? I can't even help myself." Hyeona her heel, trying to head inside the restaurant. 

 

Jung-Hwa stormed after Hyeona, spinning her around. "Come here!" She raised her hand high in the air, ready to slap the taste out of Hyeona's mouth but her wrist was caught in a tight hold. 

 

"Really?" Hyeona said, displeased. With a light push, Jung-Hwa fell easily onto the cement with a loud shout. "You're weak. Why did my father leave my mother for someone like you?" 

 

"What's going on here?" Jihyun asked. 

 

"Nothing important," Hyeona said. "Let's go Jihyun, I don't feel like eating anymore." Hyeona looked directly at the woman on the ground. "I lost my appetite." 

 

"Hyuna, when did you become friends with such low people?" Jung-Hwa taunted.

 

Taken back, Jihyun stepped in front of Jung-Hwa. "I'm low? Why you!" She raised her hand high to slap Jung-Hwa across the face but Hyeona's voice stopped her.

 

"She's not worth it, Jihyun. Come on let's go. I need to get my hair done. This look is getting boring quick. Goodbye mother." 

 

Hyeona and Jihyun walked off leaving a stunned Jung-Hwa behind. 

 

"Hyuna! Your father would be disappointed in you! How could you do this to him?!" 

 

As soon as they got into the car, Jihyun observed Hyeona's emotionless face. It was silent for the most part and Jihyun thought it was ok to start up a conversation.

 

"The nerve of that woman!" Jihyun said. "She called you Hyuna which means she must be your father's new wife. Wow. Well I don't like her one bit. I'm not low. Ugh! I should've slapped her." 

 

"I don't want to go home, Jihyun," Hyeona said. "I want to go somewhere first." 

 

"Where would that be?" 

 

Hyeona remembered the words that came out of Jung-Hwa's mouth. 

 

So now here she was standing outside the hospital room door with Jihyun. 

 

"Keep an eye out for that woman," Hyeona said. "This won't take long." 

 

"You're finally seeing you're father after all these years." 

 

"I know." 

 

Hyeona entered the room, closing the door behind her and making sure she heard the click sound. Her legs took her to the far wall where she heard the faint monitor and saw the hospital bed near the huge window. 

 

On the bed, lied the man she never thought she'd meet in this lifetime. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest but her expression remained still. 

 

"After all these years I finally get to see you," Hyeona said circling Seungsung's bed. Her eyes darkened as the closed in on his face. He was so helpless. She almost laughed but kept it in. "Hello, father. I never expected our first meeting to be well you know... like this. But it's nice to see the great Kim Seungsung in person and alive? I don't know for how long but I really hope you make it. I really do." Hyeona was walking in circles now back and forth inside the small hospital room. "Don't you want to meet your daughter? The one you threw away?" A bitter laugh emitted from Hyeona's mouth. "Oh, if you saw me now, what would you think? I met your new wife, nothing impressive really I mean she's pretty pathetic. Doesn't Hyuna get tired of her barking?" 

 

Hyeona stopped at the window and looked out with a sigh. "Well I'm doing great thanks for wondering. I know you don't think about me. I mean why would you if you threw me away? I'm fine without you. Maybe it's my destiny. You throwing us away made me strong." The last sentence was gritted through her teeth. "Mom passed away but you don't care. I was alone, well not completely. I had this other dad but he's nothing to me. And so are you." 

 

Her eyes glared at Seungsung in anger and hurt. She fought the tears that pricked along the edges. "Why am I telling you all this? Because I know you can hear me even though you can't see. When and if you wake up it'll only be as if it were a dream. But I am here and now that I see you, I realize how much I really hate you. Do you even remember my name?" 

 

The door suddenly opened with Jihyun's head popping in. Hyeona looked up in her direction.

 

"We have to go now. Evil stepmother coming." 

 

"Well it's time for us to say goodbye," Hyeona said. "Live a long happy life, dad." 

 

With that being said Hyeona walked out the door with Jihyun and they both stopped at the end of the hallway peeping at Jung-Hwa and Sohyun who were entering Seungsung's hospital room.

 

Hyeona's eyes hardened at the sight of Sohyun but her lips tugged into a bittersweet smile. "You must be baby sister." 

 

***

 

Hyuna anxiously awaited the landing of the plane. It was late or in this case early as they arrived in Korea at this time. After the voicemail, Jiyong arranged for a flight back to Korea as soon as possible but the earliest they could get was the next morning. Their flight had been delayed for a couple hours and Hyuna couldn't stop worrying about her father. 

 

Jiyong grew concerned with his wife's actions. Ever since the phone calls and the voicemails, Hyuna had not spoken a word to him at all. She held onto her phone at all time as if it were her life line. She didn't even sleep on the plane and now that they've arrived in Korea, Hyuna hurriedly stormed off the plane.

 

"Hyuna," Jiyong called after her. "Hyuna!" 

 

Hyuna continued walking like she was in a trance. Jiyong caught up to her and pulled her back. 

 

"What are you doing?" Hyuna asked. "Let me go. My father needs me." 

 

"Hyuna, stop," Jiyong said trying to reason with her. "Please come home with me and get some sleep. It's 3am, they're not going to let you see him." 

 

"I'm a nurse, I can go in if I want to." 

 

"You quit remember." 

 

"No, I never did. You made that decision for me. Now let go." Hyuna pushed Jiyong away but stumbled back due to her lack of sleep. 

 

Jiyong pulled Hyuna close and held her tight. "I promise you we'll see him first thing in the morning. Please don't harm yourself this way. Your father wouldn't want you to be like this." 

 

He could feel his chest staining with Hyuna's tears. She softly and slowly nodded her head and whispered a faint, "Promise?" 

 

"I promise. Now hush, baby, sleep. Everything's gonna be alright." 

 

Jiyong rocked Hyuna soundly as he waited for Teddy's call. He wanted his wife to rest as she hadn't for the last 24 hours, perhaps more than that. 

 

"Jiyong," Teddy's voice called out to him.

 

Jiyong looked up. He had expected a call, not Teddy finding him in person but none the less they were finally leaving the airport and doing home. 

 

With Hyuna in his arms, Jiyong carefully put Hyuna in the car before climbing in himself beside her. He held her close before signaling to Teddy to drive.

 

"What exactly happened to Seungsung?" Jiyong couldn't help but ask. 

 

"Your mother said it was some sort of gang attack. He suffered a very bad beating. Thankfully he's in stable condition." 

 

"What about Jung-Hwa and Sohyun?" 

 

"Both mother and daughter were unharmed but pretty shaken up. We don't know the specific reason why Seungsung was targeted." 

 

Jiyong nodded. He knew there had to be more to the story than told. Seungsung was a man with a big reputation. Many respected him. He couldn't possibly had any enemies. 

 

Upon their arrival home, Eunju was sleeping and Jiyong didn't want to wake her from her rest. They'll meet in the morning and talk properly. 

 

He took Hyuna into their shared bedroom and tucked her into bed. Jiyong didn't bother to change his clothes as he climbed in with her, turning out the lights and kissing her forehead softly.

 

Morning dawned upon Jiyong in a blink of an eye. His arm reached across the bed where he felt no warmth but only the emptiness Hyuna left behind. His body shot up when he heard a noise coming from the bathroom.

 

Jiyong assumed Hyuna was in there getting ready to see her father. He got out of bed and cleaned himself up as well. 

 

By the time he finished, Hyuna waited anxiously for him on the bed. Her head hung low like she was in deep thought. If his eyes weren't playing with him, he swore she was trembling. 

 

He took a hold of her hand and it seemed to have startled her. "Hey, let's go." 

 

Hyuna nodded, standing up in a flash. She hurried out the bedroom door and down the grand staircase. Jiyong tried to keep up but he stopped as soon as he saw his mother from across the hall. He bowed ninety degrees in respect to Eunju, whom smiled back mouthing the word "go." 

 

When they arrived at the hospital, Hyuna and Jiyong quickly made their way up to Seungsung's hospital room. Inside the room, Jung-Hwa sat beside him, holding onto his hand. 

 

Jung-Hwa looked up and Hyuna could see the anger building up in her eyes. "You have some nerve showing up here after all this time!" Jung-Hwa said. 

 

"I didn't know," Hyuna said. "I came as soon as I could." 

 

"What a liar," Jung-Hwa said. "I told you about what happened. You didn't care. Now look at your father! This wouldn't have happened if you'd come sooner. So don't feel sorry now. Nice hair, didn't like the change?" 

 

Change?

 

"What are you talking about? I don't understand." 

 

"Don't play dumb with me. Now leave!" 

 

"No." 

 

"Hyuna, maybe we should..." Jiyong grabbed onto Hyuna's hand but Hyuna pulled back. 

 

"He's my father, I'm not leaving!" 

 

"Get out of here!" Jung-Hwa screeched. 

 

"No," Hyuna sobbed. 

 

Jung-Hwa stood from her seat and began pushing Hyuna towards the door. "Leave you ungrateful child! Not so tough now are you?! Get out! Get out of here!" 

 

"Jung-Hwa stop!" Hyuna pleaded. 

 

Jiyong held onto Hyuna, covering her from Jung-Hwa. "We'll go." His eyes stared into Jung-Hwa's completely paralyzing her. "Seungsung is her father. She'll visit him again when you're not here. I can see that you don't want Hyuna to be here so we'll definitely be back." 

 

Hyuna took one last look at her father before Jiyong dragged her out of the room. 

 

Once they were in the hallway and the door had shut, Hyuna stormed off. 

 

"Hyuna, wait! Hyuna!" 

 

Hyuna ignored Jiyong's voice. She didn't understand why Jung-Hwa was acting this way towards her. She really didn't know about her father's condition until she heard the various voicemails. She left as soon as she could but was it not soon enough for Jung-Hwa?

 

The moment Hyuna turned the corner she collided with a man in a wheelchair knocking him over. 

 

"I'm sorry," Hyuna apologized, holding onto the stranger's arm and trying to pick him back up. 

 

"Hyuna." 

 

Hyuna's body froze when she recognized that voice. Her eyes looked up at his face and her lips slightly parted. 

 

"You." 

 

He smirked at her expression then his eyes traveled down to where Hyuna's left hand was holding him. There on her finger was the ring that symbolized that he was too late. 

 

Taking advantage of Hyuna's shock state, he pulled her down onto him and held her. 

 

"What are you doing?" Hyuna asked. "Let me go?" 

 

"I tried to make it to your wedding I really did," Zico said. "But you can see why I didn't get the chance to." 

 

"Hyuna!" Jiyong shouted as he turned the corner. His body came to a halt as he saw the scene unfold before him. 

 

Zico's hands slowly let go of Hyuna and she quickly stood up. 

 

"Aren't you going to help me up?" Zico teased. 

 

Jiyong scoffed, storming over and picking Zico up himself and throwing him back into the wheelchair.

 

"Easy I'm still sore," Zico said. "I was hoping it was your wife that was going to help me considering she was the reason I was knocked out of my chair in the first place." 

 

"You're welcome," Jiyong said with a smirk. "I'm glad you know who my wife is." 

 

"Sorry I couldn't make it to the wedding otherwise there wouldn't have been a marriage in the first place." 

 

Jiyong clutched onto Zico's shirt and raised his fist in the air. He was about to swing when Hyuna held onto his arm.

 

"Don't!" Hyuna said.

 

Jiyong turned to her in surprise. "You're protecting him?" 

 

"Don't cause a scene, Jiyong," Hyuna said. "He's a patient here. We have nothing to do with him. Let's go." 

 

Hyuna took Jiyong's hand and lead him down the hall. Jiyong snatched his hand away and instead wrapped his arm around Hyuna's waist pulling her close to him. He turned over his should to see the taunting grin on Zico's face which only made him even more possessive of Hyuna. 

 

"Zico!" Jiyoon shouted. "Ugh, what did I say about strolling by yourself?" 

 

"Sorry babe." 

 

"Come on, the doctor said you can be discharged as early as this afternoon." 

 

"Perfect." 

 

 

 

A/N: Not edited. Written on phone.