[BC] The Owl and the Pup

Pretty in Pink

A/N: 

Okay, just to set your expectations, this is not the next chapter but a bonus chapter since I have yet to finish the next chapter because I have been so caught up with my life right now. I couldn't help but give you an update for the week so here a wrote a short bonus chapter highlighting my favorite bickering pair, BaekSoo (since I haven't been giving them much love in the past couple of chapters). Again, I apologize for the delay with the next chapter and hope that this little drabble would make up for the patience you guys have been giving me. T_T

Note: This is set during the earlier events in the previous chapter, "A Tough Decision"; so I hope this clears up any confusion regarding some of Baekhyun and Kyungsoo's reactions after the locker the scene. Also, just to clarify, BaekSoo are major geeks in this fic (like me) so they like making references from time to time (they're also big Harry Potter fans, BTW!).


 "HURRY UP BAEKHYUN! CAN YOU'RE FAT BE ANY SLOWER?!"

 Baekhyun was trying to catch up with a slightly irate Kyungsoo as they made their way down the halls of SM High; growing annoyed himself at the latter's callous comment on his greatest et. The Byun was known around the prominent institution for many things; one of them being his glorious derriere that could turn heads wherever he goes, and this is also one of the things he likes to take pride in. They didn’t call him Bacon Buns for nothing! But to have Kyungsoo insult it and call it fat so early in the morning was not something Baekhyun appreciated.

 “Well~~ Excuse me mister high and mighty! You don’t look so hot yourself! And I’ll have you know that a lot of the boys here in this school, both gay and straight, would give their left leg just to get a chance to tap this FAT !”

 Baekhyun retorted with a haughty raise of his chin, and as if on cue, all the boys that were currently loitering the halls, craned their necks to check out the spectacular view of Baekhyun’s behind. Satisfied that he managed to prove his point, he regarded the wide-eyed boy with a smug look only to receive an exaggerated roll of his eyes in return.

 “Honestly Baekhyun, if you think it is such a wonderful thing to be blatantly objectified like that then you’re pea-sized dog brain must be smaller than I realized.”

 “HEY! My brain is of perfectly normal size; it may even be bigger than average, you know! Unlike your infinitesimal heart that’s so small, it turned into a black hole!”

   It has always been like this between them, ever since the three started their little band of brothers. Baekhyun would do or say something that would rake on Kyungsoo’s nerves while the latter won’t hesitate calling Baekhyun out on it; then, their little hate fest would ensue where neither side would yield to the other. It was usually Lu Han’s job to referee their little sparring matches but recently, the hapless deer was a little preoccupied with his own problems to mediate between the two.

 Most people really didn’t understand the two’s relationship after witnessing excessively numerous arguments conducted in a span of such a long time; some of these “debates” have even escalated to physical violence where one would be subjected to a headlock by the other whilst kicking and screaming. Seriously, they were confounded by the fact that how can two people, who can’t seem to stand each other, call themselves best friends.

 What people don’t understand though, and what only their closest friends know is that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s relationship is founded by their little heated exchanges. As ironic as it sounds, their little fights, where they throw hateful insults to one another, is how they show their affection.

 Kyungsoo was never the coddling type, or a hugger, or that much fond of physical contact for that matter, that’s why he has a hard time connecting with other people. He is a loner who is completely satisfied with reading or doing something completely on his own while keeping everyone else at a distance.

 Baekhyun on the other hand is the complete opposite of Kyungsoo; he is the social person who can’t seem to stop talking. He feeds of interactions with others and can’t sit still for one second lest he lose his sanity all together. He likes initiating hugs and kisses and all forms of skinships that would sometimes make other people a bit uncomfortable.

 Despite their differences though, the two managed to co-exist with one another due to one trait they both share; the unwillingness to back down from a challenge. And that was what each of them represented to one another, a daily challenge that would test their wits and keep them on their toes. It was something both of them enjoyed and reveled in as they both have found an equal to pass the boredom that is high school life with.

 That is why they constantly hurl insults to one another. That is why they would spend most of their time bickering over the smallest thing. That is why that no matter how mean they are to each other, they know that no matter what they have found someone who completely understands and accepts them for who they really are.

 And that is why Kyungsoo and Baekhyun are the best of friends.

 “Whatever… Listen we need to hurry up and be there for Lu Han before he starts hearing anymore of this bull people can’t seem to stop mouthing off!”

 “Alright! Alright, already! Sheesh… You don’t have to be so bossy about it you know.”

 The two were making their way towards their other best friend’s locker in hopes of finding him before these lions ever have a chance to pounce on the poor deer. With the day he has had yesterday and the stress of the whole school making up silly stories at his expense is more than enough for the poor princess to handle. So Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had taken it upon themselves to protect their helpless damsel, as they have always had all these years.

 As Kyungsoo made the last corner towards their destination, he immediately stopped in his tracks; bumping into an unsuspecting Baekhyun who was still trailing behind him. The brunette immediately turned around and pushed the confused puppy back with a wide frenzied glint in his eyes.

 “WHAT THE HELL SOO?! WHAT THE FU-“

 The younger immediately clamped his hands hard against the pups offending mouth as he slowly peered around the corner to make sure they weren’t heard. There, right where they were supposed to be was an astounding sight that he couldn’t believe he was actually witnessing.

 He couldn’t fathom why a bashful looking Oh Sehun was currently speaking with their Chinese princess in front of his locker!

 Luckily, by the way they were completely immersed with each other and oblivious to the stares and whispers of the people around them, they seemed to have yet to notice the two’s presence. Kyungsoo was painful aware however, of a young pup currently nipping and at the palm that was currently covering his mouth.

 “Ewww! Could you be anymore disgusting you mangy mutt?!”

 “Do Kyungsoo, I swear! Tell me what the hell was that all about?!”

 Instead of explaining (maybe because he didn’t have the words to comprehend it himself), Kyungsoo merely pointed around the corner and indicated that he should be quiet while he looked around. Moving around the suspicious brunette, Baekhyun carefully peeked at what the younger was currently referring to only to suddenly jerk back with wide eyes and an open mouth.

 “HOLY ING CH-“

 Kyungsoo once again, slapped his hands over the puppy’s loud mouth and try to shush the latter’s expletives.

 “Could you please, be quite?! I don’t think they heard you all the way in America!”

 With an energetic nod, Baekhyun conceded to Kyungsoo’s chiding who then retracted his hands from the elder, carefully.

 “What the did I just see?!”

 “Well from the looks of things, it seems like our Princess Bubblegum is currently talking to the Ice King.”

 Baekhyun would have made fun of Kyungsoo’s reference since he was the reason why the younger was currently addicted to the trippy cartoon, but the exchange that was happening just within the immediate vicinity was too preposterous for his poor puppy mind to comprehend. Looking at each other with a knowing squint in their eyes, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo abruptly planted themselves near the edge of the wall and carefully peered out unto the scene that was currently unfolding right in front of their eyes. Passersby started to look at them weirdly since both of them looked like little school children checking out whether a grownup was there or not; but knowing that they were a Byun and a Do, no one dared to call out the two lest they wanted to get injured even before school started.

 “Can you hear them?! I can’t hear them… Why can’t they talk louder?!”

 “Shut up will you, Baek! They might hear you with all the racket your making!”

 So far, the only thing that they could observe was a nervous looking Sehun who was presently twiddling his fingers as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. They both wished that they had a better view of Lu Han though since they could only see the backside of the young deer. They were completely in the dark on how their princess was taking in their whole exchange.

 “I bet yah that out little Lulu over there is grinning like a serial killer; that’s why Sehun so obviously wants to split!”

 “We don’t know that Baek! For all we know Lu Han is playing it like a cool mysterious vixen that’s playing hard to get.”

 With that, both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun looked at each other and suddenly burst into laughter at the complete absurdity of Kyungsoo’s comment. They had to retreat behind the wall for a moment in order to contain their giggle fits because seriously! A coy, seducing Lu Han, ensnaring unsuspecting freshmen, was an image that could not be reconciled with their shy and aloof friend.

 Managing to contain their mirth into wide smiles, they peeked out from their perch only to immediately withdraw once again in shock after witnessing Lu Han, their timid “play-it-safe” deer for a friend, holding hands with none other than Oh Sehun, the boy Lu Han could barely talk to let alone make physical contact with. It was just too unbelievable that Kyungsoo had to look out again to validate the truth to the audacious claim only to confirm that in deed, their hopeless friend was making skin-to-skin contact with the ice prince.

 “WHAT THE HELL?! WHAT THE HELL?! WHAT THE HELL?! WHAT THE HELL?!”

 “Keep it down will you, Baek! They’ll hear you!”

 “WHAT THE WAS THAT?!”

 “Well, from the looks of it, it seems like the pink hair has finally made a man out of our Hannie who, by the way, is now currently making skinship with the love of his life.”

 Kyungsoo could see the freshman being equally shocked and flustered at the contact as he too was not expecting this from his hyung. It was quite endearing actually to see the obviously nervous Sehun calming down from just the touch alone; his fidgeting hand stilling by his side as he squeezed back. The brunette couldn’t help think that it would be nice to have someone do that for him; to calm and reassure him with just a touch of their hand.

 “WAIT! WHAT’S HAPPENING?!”

 “They’re now locked in a heated embrace while they stare at each other with goo-goo eyes.”

 “WHAT?! REALLY?! WHERE?!”

 Baekhyun nearly jumped out from his spot as he nearly tackled Kyungsoo to the floor; the latter merely shaking the excited pup of his back who simply adjusted to continue to watch the scene in front of them. After seeing that they were merely in the same position as before, Baekhyun slapped Kyungsoo on his back which elicited an eye roll from the latter.

 “That’s not funny! You nearly gave me a heart attack!”

 “Oh darn! Just ‘nearly’? Jeez, I must be losing my touch.”

 “Shut up, you sad excuse for a Death Eater!”

 “Oh trust me Baek, if I was Death Eater you wouldn’t still be here.”

 “Pfft… Please~ I’m so full of good energy that I’ll just Patronus charm your all the way back to Azkaban!”

 “Well, if your annoying presence alone doesn’t do me in then I guess your infuriating yapping would do better than any Dementor’s kiss!”

 “THAT’S IT! I’M GETTING MY WAND! LET’S SETTLE THIS LIKE TRUE WIZARDS YOU MUGGLE!”

 Kyungsoo was about to retaliate to Baekhyun’s “offensive” name calling when Lu Han’s distressed voice reaches them at their spot. Returning their attention to their Chinese princess, they saw a flailing Lu Han who was either having an epileptic episode or was just simply being his plain old spazztastic self.

 “Ah… There’s the Lulu we all know and love; once again making a complete idiot of himself.”

 “Phew! For a second there I thought we had a case of a body snatcher!”

 “Please Baekhyun, get real. Besides if there was anyone here that needed their body’s to be snatched it would be you.”

 “Hey! If there is anybody here that is worth snatching its mine! I’m just look at my hot bod; anyone would be lucky just to get a piece of this!”

 “And your point is?”

 “My point is, for someone who knows so many words, I guess ‘humor’ isn’t one of them.”

 “Whatever, Nutella abs. Now shush, looks like something’s happening and your voice is making my ears bleed.”

 Baekhyun simply stuck out his tongue at his unappreciative friend while turning back to the scene unfolding in front of them. It appeared like Sehun was showing something to Lu Han on his phone which managed to cease the floundering of their animated friend. Growing curious, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo leaned in further to try and decipher the message displaying on the tiny screen.

 “Soo! Put saucer eyes to some good use and tell me what’s on the ice prince’s phone!”

 “I’m sorry but my eyes aren’t as big as your colossal mouth so I can’t very well see much over here! And would you stop leaning on my back! Jesus! Someone needs to go on a diet!”

 “Uh-ho! Is the kettle calling the pot black?! Well, if that’s the case then you, my mushy friend, are fifty shades blacker! Just like the charred briquette you call a heart!”

 The two’s escalating bickering was cut short when the warning bell for their first class shrilled within the halls. Not knowing whether to make a tactical retreat or continue their eavesdropping, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo stared at each other with expectant looks; waiting on the other to see what they should do. Unable to come up with anything, Kyungsoo decided to glance back over at the odd couple to see if there was anything else worth observing; and boy was there ever.

 With an audible gasp, Kyungso saw Sehun unmistakably lean down and peck Lu Han right on the lips. As in actual skin to skin contact! Baekhyun, prompted by Kyungsoo’s reaction, also checked in with the couple only to exclaim an expletive which nearly deafened the wide-eyed boy whose ear was right next to the pup’s loud mouth.

 Frozen from shock, the duo could only stare on; not completely registering the events that they had just witnessed. Kyungsoo was the first one to thaw out first as he immediately drew back and dragged the unsuspecting pup with him when he saw Sehun making his way over their end of the hallway. Seeing the annoyance on Baekhyun’s face after being hauled like that, Kyungsoo gestured that the pup remain quiet and pointed to the side, indicating the imminent arrival of the freshman.

 Catching up with what was going on, Baekhyun checked left and right to see if there was any chance of escape but was abruptly cut short when Kyungsoo, quite forcefully, yanked him down in a huddle as they plastered themselves to the wall. Thinking quickly while attempting to be inconspicuous, Kyungsoo opened one of the textbooks in his hands and tried to loudly, but also quite lamely, discuss the subject matter with his accomplice.

 “A-and so ionic bonds are formed with metallic elements mainly found in the middle of the period table of elements.”

 “Y-yes those bonds can be quite i-ironic!”

 “Ionic, Baekhyun! Ionic! Can you be any more of a moron?!”

 “Hold on, isn’t moron like another element or something?”

 “THAT’S BORON YOU WITLESS ! I SWEAR TO GOD, HOW YOU COULD PASS CHEMISTRY IS COMPLETELY BEYO-“

 “Ummm… Hello! You’re Kyungsoo-ssi and Baekhyun-ssi, right?”

 With the addition of a familiar voice, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo froze at the spot only to slowly turn towards the intruder to their sad attempt at a cover up. Now, for any normal person, seeing both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun turn to them with this look of outright murder plastered over their face would seem a bit intimidating. But, the grinning freshman in front of them was totally unfazed by the reaction of the odd duo as he couldn’t help the huge smile etched on his chiseled features.”

 “You’re Lu Han-hyung’s friends.”

 Sehun didn’t really say the last statement like a question; it was more like a declaration to affirm the two of their friendship status to the unassuming deer. Oddly enough, the two nodded at this seeing as they didn’t trust their voices; both confirming their identities and relationship with Lu Han. Seeing this as an encouraging sign, Sehun continued as if there was nothing wrong with their little exchange.

 “Well~ I just wanted to let you guys know that you’ll be seeing a lot more of me since I intend to date Lu Han hyung. So I hope we get along well in the future since I also want my Lulu’s friends to like me as well.”

 With that Sehun gave a complete ninety degree bow and made his way towards his class, leaving both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun staring wide eyed and mouth agape at the skipping freshman. The two finally managed to recover once Sehun finally left their sights; only to explode immediately after the earth shattering revelation they just heard.

 “WHAT THE ?!” Both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun said at the exact same time as they stared at each other with disbelief and incredulity.

 “D-did that just really happen?!”

 “I-I guess so… I mean w-we did see and hear the same thing, right?”

 “Well~ not unless you didn’t get the part where the frigid imp verbally state that he ‘intended’ to ‘date’ his Lulu and saw with your own two eyes the actual lip-to-lip contact between the two then I suppose not.” Kyungsoo affirmed with the skeptical Baekhyun who pretty much looked like he had been told that unicorns existed and that rainbows taste like glitter.      

 Still unsure whether they heard correctly, both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun once again peeked out from their little hiding spot in order to confirm their suspicions. They could see Lu Han simply standing there at the same exact spot Sehun left him looking pretty much like a pink, porcelain statue. Wanting to get firsthand information, Baekhyun began to venture out and get answers from the deer; only to be abruptly pulled back by the brunette to their place behind the wall.

 “WHAT THE HELL?!” Baekhyun exclaimed when he was unceremoniously slammed against the concrete.

 “Seriously Baek, think about this for one sec. If we are right and what just happened did really happen then do you think that you can actually talk with Lu Han, right now?”

 Taking Kyungsoo’s advice, Baekhyun thought about coming over and speak with Lu Han right now; realizing after a few seconds that indeed this isn’t the best time to be talking with the Chinese princess. If he can talk someone’s ear off with how much he has been fawning over a crush he had only been observing from a distance, who knows what he could be capable of when that said crush actually confessed to him. They might be seeing a super nova event in the making.

 Seeing the look of outright fear marring Baekhyun’s face, Kyungsoo silently tugged at the puppy’s jacket indicating that now was the time they made their tactical retreat. There was only one thing scarier than a Satansoo or a Diva Baek; and that was the nuclear bomb known as Lu Han going off. And both boys wanted to stay away as far as possible from ground zero if they could help it.

 So as they made their way to their homeroom class, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made a silent promise that they would not preempt the inevitable and act as “normally” as possible around their Chinese friend. They decided that they wouldn’t mention anything regarding the events that transpired early in the morning, acting as if nothing had happened in hopes that they could hold of Armageddon for as long as possible.


(-After Third Period-)

 Kyungsoo was putting some books in his locker after their little discussion in the library. Third period was almost up as he tucked away the books that he borrowed from the library when he noticed the small leather bound notebook hidden near the back. Opening it up, he checked his previous entries on his field journal and smiled to himself at the observations written there.

 As he checked each entry, he remembered what they talked about in their little sanctuary and the plan they began concocting. He smiled yet again after realizing how insane and crazy their little operation but couldn’t help but feel excited at the prospect. Kyungsoo really didn’t understand the concept of love so that was why for this year he decided to make the topic of love his main subject matter in hopes to fully comprehend the delightful yet frustrating emotion.

 He was slowly starting to understand what it meant and felt like seeing as a certain tall and boisterous basketball player managed to elicit some of the symptoms within him. However, he was still confused with the whole notion as he didn’t really have that many opportunities to inspect and analyze love for what it really was. With Lu Han though, his case provided him the opportunity to further understand the complexities that came along with the annoying sentiment.

 He was still uncomfortable with the fact that one of Lu Han’s prospects was the brat known as Kim Jongin but Kyungsoo was a man of reason so he had managed to put his emotions aside in order to support his friend. He wasn’t entirely sure what caused his reservation with this little fact; merely chalking it up to the knowledge that Jongin was now an arrogant, narcissistic douchebag who was only in love with himself.

 But Kyungsoo knew Jongin way back and he knew that the sun-kissed dancer isn’t always like this. Jongin is kind, generous, caring and would defend his friends with all that his got if he has too. He knows that this Jongin, or rather Kai as he would have other’s prefer him, was just an act; an act to protect the sensitive boy that he has known and cared for. So he knows that if indeed Lu Han chose Jongin in the end, he would take care of their Chinese princess the way he deserves. Yet, despite all of this, there was still something holding Kyungsoo back from being entirely fine with the idea of Lu Han and Jongin dating.

 Maybe it was the tiny voice at the back of his mind telling him that even if Jongin deserved Lu Han it may not be the case the other way around, because…

 Because Jongin is a damaged kid and he needs someone who truly understands him and would stand by him no matter how difficult the younger can be. Someone like…

 Someone like me.

 Shaking the guilty thought out of his head, Kyungsoo once again reaffirmed himself that he would support Lu Han regardless of any misgivings he may have. So with that silent vow, he opened up his journal to an empty page and added another entry to his growing lists of observations.

Love is a choice; a choice between what you know and what you believe in.

 With that Kyungsoo tucked his field journal in the front pocket of his jacket as he closed the door to his locker. He felt lighter and a bit ecstatic at the new adventure waiting for them in the future. As he made his way to his next class where his two best friends where undoubtedly waiting for him, he smiled widely to himself believing that the answer that he has been looking for was finally within reach.

 Little did he know that the answer to his little query would be coming sooner than he thinks and in a way that he wouldn’t have been able to anticipate.


A/N:

I'm just gonna put another Authoer's Note here just to highlight the last part... Tihihihihihihihihi.... Foreboding, foreboding, and more foreboding! >_<