Vmin's Past

100% Tangible or 100% Invisible?
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Wow, you’re five minutes early this time,” Taehyung grinned as Jungkook came over from the entrance of the station holding two cans of strawberry soda. The other was wearing a plain black t-shirt and sky knee slit jeans with his usual beige colored Timberlands. The elder’s heartbeat raced and he secretly thanked the gods for letting him see the boy’s beautiful features up close, to the point he could even see the small moles on the other’s cheeks.

Jungkook just shrugged, before handing a can to the elder. Taehyung quickly straightened up and thanked him, before he began chatting about his day as they walked over to the subway station. Their first date helped break the barrier between them to the point there were no awkward breaks and pauses when they walked over to the subway.

“So how did you find this hidden street in the first place? “ Jungkook whispered, as soon as they sat down, and the other put his finger to his lips, meaning it was a secret, for now, at least. He rolled his eyes, and they drank the soda in silence as more people start filling up the subway.

Thirty minutes of complete still and quietude had passed by slowly, and Taehyung was itching to move around and talk with Jungkook. But he knew he shouldn’t be such a nuisance to the other passengers. So to pass the time Taehyung kept tapping his fingers on the metal bars in boredom, and gradually moving towards the younger’s knee. Slightly taken aback from the touch, Jungkook scooted closer to the edge of the seat while trying to divert his attention to his phone, making it known that he was feeling uncomfortable being all touchy-feely with the other in front of everyone. But Taehyung was naïve and didn’t really notice the slight tension that Jungkook was giving him, sliding even closer to the younger. “We have an hour until our next stop,” Taehyung leaned in and whispered in his ear, causing the other to feel a shiver run down his spine. "And I'm getting bored."

“G-Go to sleep then…” Jungkook stammered, feeling nervous from the sudden close contact. Taehyung pouted, but leaned back in his seat and squeezed his eyes shut. Jungkook put his earbuds in as he tried to calm his irregular heartbeat by listening to music, but it didn't seem to work. He tried not to sneak a glance at the elder, and let out a small sigh. This was going to be a long day.

 

 

They got off the subway, and the first place Taehyung had dragged the younger to, was a small street with lots of graffiti art on the walls. As they started walking farther and farther away from the station, Jungkook began to see endless buildings and fewer people. It was a dingy slum like the one Jungkook had looked up on Google, and he wondered why in the world Taehyung chose this place as their ideal second date. As he looked around his surrounding, all he saw were abandoned buildings and shops, almost all of them with shattered glass on the floor. Cobwebs, dirt, and dust covered every corner of the strained buildings, the large cracks on the sides of the walls smelled like remainders of ash and cigarette butts. It looked almost identical to the images of the South Bronx in the 1970's of Jungkook's Hip Hop history book, and his body shivered in fright.

However, Taehyung gave him a wide grin and grabbed onto Jungkook's arms as they walked on the sidewalk and towards a hidden alleyway, not minding the rusty smell of the tarnished buildings, or the scared look the other was giving him. When they got to the bricked walls of the corner of an unknown street where the hidden alleyway was, Taehyung suddenly stopped and let go of Jungkook's hand as he closed his eyes and folded his hands as if he was praying. Jungkook was confused but stayed quiet as he didn't want to interrupt whatever the elder boy was doing.

A minute later, Taehyung opened his eyes and that's when Jungkook gave him an odd look.

"... What was that for?" He asked, and Taehyung turned to him with a smile.

"I was praying," The younger could see the mischievous twinkle in the other's eyes and Jungkook was still confused.

"But why here? Why are we at this slum?" He didn't understand the elder's bizarre logic and shook his head. He felt unsafe staying here on this street and just wanted to go back to the station and go somewhere that looked safer and was more human populated.

"This is the street I grew up in," Taehyung explained.

"… Oh," Jungkook couldn't have been more stupid, as he looked down at the floor in guilt. But Taehyung didn't seem offended in the least, as he just blew a raspberry.

"This place holds a lot of memories in my heart that you can say it’s a good luck charm. So in this alleyway," Taehyung pointed a finger toward the alleyway next to them, filled with old dumpsters and a bunch of flies circling around it.

"I found a poster that was for a festival at my school. And that lead to me meeting my best friend!"

He continued on, not noticing Jungkook still flushing in embarrassment for pretty much deprecating the street of the other’s childhood.

"And I actually met my roommate here, who also became a really good friend of mine! I remember him crying two years ago on this very exact spot and he was- oops, that's not my story to tell. Anyways, this street is seriously my own good luck charm that grants me wishes."

That got Jungkook's attention as he looked straight up at Taehyung in puzzlement.

".... So you were wishing for something?" He asked, and Taehyung nodded.

"What did you wish for?" And what's the point of bringing me here... Jungkook thought.

Taehyung just stared at him, his smile slowly changing into a straight line.

"You'll know in ten days." He answered mysteriously with a straight face, before pulling the now bewildered younger along back to the opposite direction and towards the station.

 

 

They were now at a more known street filled with lots of street markets, aesthetic looking cafes, and colorful apartments that looked like it came out of a fairy tale, which looked less dingy and scary than the buildings he had walked over half an hour ago. They looked over many different shops filled with various unique items, and Jungkook realized it was pretty much a heaven for hipsters like Yoongi hyung.

After looking through artsy cat paintings with the elder, they moved along to the next shop. An elderly woman with large hoop earrings and a purple flowery dress gazed at the two warmly when they entered.

"My, you guys are such a cute couple!" She cooed at seeing them hold hands and Jungkook frowned, whilst Taehyung let out a laugh. It had only been a few hours but they pretty much were getting cooed at and getting compliments from bystanders left and right. Jungkook corrected the first four people who told them how cute they were, but totally gave up and ignored everyone at the fifth.

Trying to divert the topic to anything else but their fake relationship, Jungkook gave her a slight nod as acknowledgment before moving onto the accessories on the antique, wooden table.

"Did you make this yourself?" He asked, looking through a row of bracelets with uniquely shaped patterns.

"Of course! I made all of them with love." She smiled, and Taehyung stood next to Jungkook quietly as he looked at the bracelets also, when a certain couple bracelet caught his eye. He hovered over the table, and that caught Jungkook's interest, so he asked the shop owner if they were allowed to try on the items. She nodded, still smiling, and Taehyung gave her his signature square smile in thanks, before shyly putting the woven red bracelet with silver X's embroidered around it. He urged Jungkook to put the other bracelet with him, so the other complied with his request. The moment the younger put on the black bracelet, Taehyung’s grin stretched even wider than Jungkook thought was even possible. And without thinking, the edge of his lips curved up into a small smile as well.

He looked at the price tag and pondered for a second if he should buy the bracelets until he was quickly reminded that this was a fake relationship and wasn't worth it. His will, however, almost gave in when he saw the elder gaze so longingly at his red bracelet until he looked up and saw Jungkook gazing at him. He took off the bracelet and gently put it back on the table.

"Let's go," Taehyung pulled him along to the door, but not before saying goodbye to the lady.

 

 

It was nearly 7pm when they visited each shop and ate dinner at a hello kitty themed café, much to Taehyung’s request, which was deeply hidden in the corner.

They were now strolling along a bricked path back to the station. Taehyung was almost skipping as he swung his arms with Jungkook's in glee, feeling as if he owned the world. Jungkook on the other hand were having internal struggles with himself as his mind kept going back to the bracelets at the shop. His head was clouded with worry as he mindlessly walked with the other until they arrived at the station and Jungkook accidentally walked towards the wall and bumped his head. Taehyung turned around looked at the other worriedly, immediately brushing the other's bangs to see a red bump on his forehead.

"Are you okay? You should watch where you're going!" He chided, and Jungkook's face flushed in embarrassment.

"Sorry..." He was shifted his gaze to the ground, not being able to look directly at Taehyung’s unrelenting stare. But to make it even worse, Taehyung cupped his face gently and looked straight into his eyes.

"Hey, are you okay? You seem out of it." He whispered, and the Jungkook feverishly shook his head.

"No, no, I'm fine. I was just.... Uh, curious. About the, uh, street you grew up in." He made up lie. Well, technically it was a half lie since he was honestly, kind of curious on Taehyung's past. But that wasn’t the main reason he was worried enough to bump into a wall.

"Oh, well you could have just asked! Thought something serious was bothering you for a second, haha!" The elder laughed, shaking his head. They got into the subway and thankfully, there weren't as many people so it was less crowded, and most of the passengers were asleep or listening to music through their headphones.

"So, what were you so curious about, to the point you had to hit a wall?" Taehyung chuckled as they sat down, and Jungkook pouted. The other would probably make fun of him the whole ride back.

"Um, well..." He scratched his neck, trying to think of something to say. "... You said you grew up on that street. How was it like, living there?"

Taehyung sat up straight, brows knitted in a frown as he tried to remember.

"Well," he began. "To be honest, it was complete hell because I grew up really poor. My father left my mother when I was little, so she had to work overtime to make ends meet, but it someti

Please log in to read the full chapter