First Encounter(s)

100% Tangible or 100% Invisible?
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I'm offended that you would rather read your book at the library than at the comfort of your own home." Kim Namjoon, otherwise known as Jeon Jungkook's bothersome roommate, said disapprovingly as he sat right across from the younger, propping his head on his elbow as he gazed down to see what the other was reading. Jeon Jungkook didn’t even spare the elder a glance as he flipped a page from the book, totally unfazed from the other's sudden appearance.

"Oh, I've already read that book. The author does an amazing job at putting complicated feelings into words. He keeps reminding one of the simplest pleasures of life along the story, and I can really see inside the author's bizarre and fantastic imagination..." Unperturbed by the cold shoulder he received from the younger, Namjoon continued on to deliver his thoughts on the book. Jungkook kept reading in silence so the other could get the hint that he did not want to be disturbed, but was unsuccessful.

"... The main protagonist's friend falls into depression and then kills herself afterward. Everything falls apart after and at the end, the main protagonist contemplates whether or not he should drown himself at the sea where she died." Namjoon concluded, and Jungkook immediately gave his hyung a death glare as he threw the book across the table in annoyance. He would have lashed out at him with a string of curse words but they were at a public library (and also because Namjoon was the one paying for both their rent), so Jungkook wasn’t able to do anything but sigh in exasperation. Namjoon just chuckled, provoking the younger even more.

"Hyung, you're really cruel, you know that? This is why I came here; so I don't have to hear you spoiling every single book I try to read!" Jungkook grimaced, and the elder patted his shoulder gently as he got up to leave.

"I was just joking, Jungkook. I've never even heard of this book." Namjoon replied, to which Jungkook picked up the book again, suddenly feeling guilty.

"Seokjin is going to make dinner soon, so don't stay too late. And if you still don't believe me and go try to find another book, I recommend, ''100% tangible or 100% invisible'. A good friend of mine actually recommended it to me several weeks ago and the ending is unbelievable. You should go check it out."

Namjoon left and Jungkook was back to being alone again at the table. He opened the book to see where he left off but grew increasingly bored after reading a few more pages. Standing up and returning the book back to its shelf, he tried to find the book Namjoon recommended him.

"100%.. 100%...” A stranger beside him suddenly appeared out of nowhere, whispering to himself as he tried to find the section with the numerical numbers. Jungkook looked up at him in surprise, thinking this stranger could read his mind but the orange-haired stranger heeded no attention to him, as the other was too focused on finding the book.

"100%... Ah! Found it!" The guy squatted down as he reached for the book, beaming. Jungkook also squatted down next to him to see if there were more copies of the book and coincidentally, only one more book was left. He took the last copy, and that's when the stranger finally noticed his presence.

"Ah, you're checking out the same book! Did someone recommend you this book too?" The orange-haired stranger asked and Jungkook nodded, expressionless. He wasn’t really in the mood to talk and just wanted to check out the book to read it as soon as possible.

"Cool! This book will reach your expectations for sure because my friend has been talking about this book nonstop for weeks," The guy replied, hugging the book tight as if he was trying to protect it. Jungkook just nodded again, not really listening. The stranger seemed to take the hint that he wasn’t interested in having any small talk.

"Well, I hope you enjoy the book. Goodbye!" The guy gave him a small wave and left to go check out the book at the front. Jungkook just waited until the stranger was gone before checking out the book after and left the library to go home.

 

 

"Jeon Jungkook, you've been spending way too much time at the library all by yourself! Try to go out and make some friends!" Kim Seokjin, Kyung Hee University graduate and also Jungkook's other roommate, started nagging as soon as he heard the boy close the door behind him. Jungkook walked in to see the eldest hyung making glass noodles while Namjoon was sitting around the kitchen table, reading a novel. As soon as he came in the kitchen, Seokjin turned off the stove, placed the noodles onto clear glass plates, and pulled out a chair for the other to sit in while giving him a disapproving look. Jungkook rolled his eyes and immediately regretted coming home because he already knew what the elder would say.

"It's good to read books and focus on educating yourself and whatnot, but it's also important to socialize and make new friends. Jungkook, you're now a college student but you haven't made one single friend since middle school! Don't you ever feel lonely? Why don't you try finding someone to hang out with instead of spending all of your youth at a public library?" Seokjin began nagging and Jungkook, as usual, just stayed quiet while secretly drowning out the elder's words. Namjoon just looked away from his direction, not wanting to face the younger's death glare for snitching on him being at the library again.

"... I know you're tired of me repeating myself every week but you're not doing anything about it! We're only saying this because Namjoon and I care about you, Jungkook." Seokjin finished his lecture, to which Jungkook let out a soft sigh.

"I know..." He looked down at his plate but his appetite disappeared completely, and all he wanted to do was just lock himself in his room and just read and get away from the other's repeated lecture. This had been going on for two months now and Jungkook was seriously getting tired of it; to the point he wanted to just yell back at them and tell them they weren’t his parents so they shouldn't have any control over his life. But he kept his mouth shut since he knew if he says those words, they (as in, Seokjin) would raise hell and he knew better. And the fact that deep down, he knew he was already spoiled from his hyungs. They treated him with love and kindess, far more than his parents ever had...

Also because he knew Seokjin was really sensitive and he really cared and considered him as a father figure, even if the elder was sometimes unreasonable.

"Then why don't you ever listen to us? You always say, 'I get it hyung, I'll do something about it', but you never do!" Seokjin continued scolding him and Jungkook just had enough of it. He sighed in exasperation as he rubbed his temple, feeling a small headache forming.

"Look, Seokjin hyung, Namjoon hyung... I have a confession to make." Jungkook declared as he tried to think of an excuse so his hyungs (mostly Seokjin) would stop badgering him about his social life. In an instant, Namjoon put down his novel and Seokjin pulled out a chair as he sat down next to him, looking at him as if he was anticipating for the worse. The younger heaved a long sigh, before looking back at them with a small smile.

"...

Please log in to read the full chapter