One

Agreed upon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He surveyed the almost empty lobby, sighing wistfully as he sat on one of the long, exquisite couches that barely filled the large space. If he strained his ears, he would probably be able to hear the typing of the receptionists behind the flashy counter. Were they really working? Was there even work for them? Letting out another sigh, he slumped deeply into the couch and groaned.



Things were not turning out well. His family has left him in a freak accident just six months back and he was very much considered a fresh graduate and yet, he had to take on the role as the hotel’s CEO. However, with all the wealth and power, came the politics and responsibilities. Who was he to convince the shareholders who were probably around since his grandfather’s time? Who was he to manage the senior staff in their own meaningless cycle of mind games, pin-pointing and back-stabbing? He was just a twenty six year old who was still grieving the loss of his family. He wasn’t Superman. 



He wants to hide in a corner, away from the world, and allow himself to cry. He lost his parents and his younger brother in a night and yet, when he was informed of the news, he wasn’t even given the time to mourn. He remembered that fateful night when his loyal butler informed him of the misfortune, and before he could even fully procesd it, his father’s secretary had barged into the room and told him that he has to make some decisions as the CEO now. He questioned the secretary on whether it was even right to assume the role so quickly, before his father’s body had even lost its warmth. Thinking back, no answer was given to him.



Since that very moment, he attended meetings after meetings. Listening instead of making decisions. Agreeing aimlessly instead of setting a foot down. He felt pretty much like a puppet but there was nothing he could do. He was inexperienced, alone and outnumbered. 



Six months later, which is the present moment, the usual bustling hotel was now a picture of quiet. Regular customers became irregular customers. New customers never returned for the second time. And yet, he didn’t know why. 



But he still couldn’t cry. He couldn’t allow his family’s business to come to naught. Not in his hands at least. Straightening his back, he buried his face in his hands and let out a frustrated grunt. There surely must be a way to sort things out and there surely must be a way to not lose his power any further. And that was why he was here. The CEO of the hotel, seated on the lobby’s couch, waiting for an old family friend. 



Right at that moment, a voice called him gruffly, “Junhyung.”



Standing instantly on his feet, he faced the source of the voice and shook the male’s outstretched hand, “Mr Yang, I’m so glad and thankful for you to take the time to meet me even after retiring. How’s your business?”



The elderly male joined and sat beside the young CEO on the couch, “It’s doing fine but you can hardly call it a business as compared to your father’s hotel”, the older man waved at the surroundings, “It’s just a small dumpling restaurant to feed the family.”



Junhyung nodded distractedly, unsure of how to approach the topic. However, observant Mr Yang noted the wavering eyes and gave a fatherly smile, “Your parents’ and brother’s death was highly unfortunate but I’m sure that they are in a better place now. Most of the time, it’s the living that we should care for more… So, how are you Junhyung?”



The young male gave a grim smile as he lowered his gaze, “I’m surviving… But the business isn’t. I’m sorry Mr Yang, I know that you are retired and you have left our company. However, even as a child, I saw how my father really appreciated and respected all your advices. It really helped in the growth of our hotel. Therefore… I’m hoping that you would be able to help me.”



Mr Yang gave an understanding nod as patted the right knee of Junhyung with his left hand. Junhyung felt a pang of guilt as he saw the wrinkles on the hand and he wondered how desperate he could be, to force a man out of retirement to help him. “I know that things must not be going too well, but you must know that it isn’t your fault. You have been unfairly thrown into this role. Your dad had trained for almost twenty years in all the departments before he was finally handed the CEO title. Therefore, I understand that it must be really trying on you. A child like you should be given a chance to grieve with no worries but here you are, a brave young man, doing your parents proud.”



“I’m not doing them proud. I’m causing the business to fail!” He exclaimed in frustration, “There are getting lesser and lesser bookings and old customers are cancelling on their bookings. Mr Yang, I really hope that you can help me on this. I don’t trust anybody else.” 



The older male gave a sympathetic smile as he nodded, “I understand and I would love to help. However, a new generation calls for a new generation of leader. My advices and methods might be outdated and honestly, I am very happy with what I am doing now. Can I propose something that might be helpful to you and yet, on my selfish part, beneficial to me too?”



“Anything, as long as my family’s business can be saved.”



“Marry my child.”



“What?”



Mr Yang gave a sheepish grin, looking abashed as he explained his request, “My child is a very sweet and innocent person. Very hardworking too, might I add. And very filial, too filial in fact. My child does not like to hang out with people after work and comes home to have dinner with us all the time. There is no chance to meet anybody, let alone to date anyone. 



As a father, I wished for happiness and the best for my children. Therefore, I am making a very selfish bargain here with you. Marry my child and let my child work for you. I’ll give advices as and whenever necessary but to be honest, a younger generation’s advice and help would be more useful to you. Not anyone though, my child is really intelligent.”



Junhyung swallowed hard as he pondered over Mr Yang’s words. He knew that the older male was not threatening him and that it was really a harmless request. The CEO knew that he could reject it but then again, Junhyung had to agree that he really needed Mr Yang’s family help. Everybody else

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter