Chapter 7

You Can't Forget Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I meet Dohee outside of the museum, feeling antisocial and agitated after my conversation with Hyung. I want to see Dohee, of course, but I’m not confident I can provide the best company. I have no desire for conversation, much less be in the presence of people.

But Dohee softness my reluctance just enough that when she smiles at me, I feel that maybe the world isn’t as dull as I thought.

“I like your shirt,” she says, and I take note to tell Sehun this later.

“Thanks. Should we go in?”

She nods, and we enter the museum together.

Thankfully, Dohee doesn’t talk much. She becomes so engrossed in each sculpture, each painting, that she has nothing to say to me. I can almost see the way her thoughts flicker behind her eyes, the way her lips turn up at the corners when she’s mulling over something. I want to ask her what she’s thinking, but she looks so serene and so at home that I don’t want to disturb her.

We scour every corner of every floor in the museum. Dohee looks more and more beautiful as the hours pass. And I can’t help but feel that I’m the luckiest man alive, to accompany a girl who’s brighter than all the stars combined.

“That was awesome,” she says when we leave. “I’ve never been to this museum before.”

“Me neither.”

“Really? Have you been to any other museum?” I shake my head. “You seemed like you had. Most people just look at art for a few seconds and then move on. You were looking at each one like you were honestly trying to figure them out.”

I can’t tell her that I wasn’t really looking at the art; I was looking at her.

“Thank you, by the way,” she says. “I had fun.”

“The day isn’t done yet.”

Her eyes widen behind her thick glasses. She looks like an owl. I stifle a laugh. “What else are we doing?”

“Dinner,” I say, which wasn’t originally my plan, but if hyung is going to insist that I spend my money on myself, then I will. “There’s a really nice grilled meat restaurant not far from here.”

“Sounds fun.” She reaches up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. I fold my hands behind my back before they involuntarily reach out to do it for her.

Dohee and I take the bus to the restaurant. Since there’s only one seat available, I let her have it while I stand next to her. When the man beside her gets up for his next stop, she beckons me to sit down. I do, but I keep a comfortable distance between us. She hasn’t expressed any affection towards me, so I don’t want to come off as intrusive.

Which leads me to wonder: does she even like me?

The bus pulls to our stop. Dohee gets up first but nearly trips. I reach out to steady her, my hands instantly clasping her waist. She looks up at me, realizes how close we are, and steps aside. “Sorry.”

I tell her it’s okay, although my fingertips are burning and it’s the most strangely pleasant feeling in the world.

Since it’s not quite dinner hour yet, the restaurant is nearly empty. Dohee and I seat ourselves at a large round table. I order different kinds of meat for us while she goes to the bathroom. That’s when I feel my phone vibrate, and I know before checking that it’s Sehun.

Picking up the call, I answer, “You’re lucky that I’m by myself right now.“

“I believe in fate. Don’t you?”

“What?” I check my phone to make sure it’s Sehun and not a prank call (although they could easily be one and the same).

Sehun clicks his tongue. “Turn around, Jongin.”

Dread washes over me as I slowly spin in my chair. And there, standing by the doorway, his face framed perfectly by the light pouring into the room, is my worst nightmare - Sehun. Beside him is Sunyoung, whose miffed expression disfigures her otherwise calm appearance.

“This is fate, Jongin,” Sehun claps my back jovially. “Mind if we join?”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Sunyoung starts to say. All three of us pause when we see Dohee.

“Um … “

“You must be Dohee,” Sehun smiles charmingly. “I’m Sehun.”

“Dohee. Nice to meet you.”

“This is Sunyoung, my girlfriend,” he introduces. Sunyoung gives a pleasant, although strained, smile. “I was just telling her how this place has the best grilled meat in all of Korea when I ran into Jongin.”

“You know each other?” Dohee asks.

“He’s my best friend.”

I pull away from him. Unperturbed, he transfers his attention to Sunyoung and rests a hand on her back. “We all go to Myongji University. Where do you go?”

“Yonsei,” Dohee answers. “I’m a graphic arts major.”

“Nice.” Sehun pulls out a chair and seats himself. “So is it okay if we join?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter