Cravings

Falling From the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In the midst of practices, performances, photoshoots, appearances and guestings, Amber fell out of sync from the rest of the members. She had been meaning to ask Krystal about the incident from the previous night ---  a trivial thing that can be easily answered with a 'yes' or a 'no'. But Krystal was always too busy or too playful or too tired to be messed around with. 

Plus there was always the worry if the right question would form on her lips. 

Where were you the other night?

When was the last time you snuck in my room?

Did you sleep beside me recently?

Did you sneak in my room unknowingly and slept beside me without me knowing?

If yes, why? 

If no, why not?


The list in her head became a questionnaire. A stupid questionnaire.

Amber alternated between spending time in the members' rooms to talk or play around or help them with things and barely sleeping at all, in hopes of catching Krystal sneaking in her room. 

Victoria gave her an ultimatum -- lights were off at twelve in the room she shared with Sulli. Amber either chatted with Victoria and/or Sulli in the darkness and often ended up dozing off on Victoria's bed. Amber always got up before Victoria because one, Victoria wakes up really early to do her morning stretches and two, she was not a morning person. Victoria had to be left alone when she wakes up because her morning glare scared the hell out of Amber.

Luna was always in the middle of her singing whenever Amber comes by her room. Practice. Practice. Practice. Amber taught her extensive English phrases and how to play the guitar. Sometimes they would take an entire night to harmonize and mash-up their songs. Amber never slept in Luna's room, however. At around two or three in the morning Amber would go back to her room, dead tired.

During the nights she spent in her own room, Amber never turned the lights on and kept everything she did to minimum volume. She couldn't remember when it started -- her waiting for someone that was never likely to come. Her gut feeling told her that Krystal would come one of these days and she'd catch her in the middle of her not-so-subtle act. And they'd be forced to deal with it right then and there.

One night at around one-thirty, Amber was in the middle of texting Miss A's Jia when she heard footsteps. The light from the hallways that seeped under her door and the shadows that accompanied the footsteps made her freeze. Amber tiptoed to her door, her back pressed against the wall beside it so when it opened, she would give the person on the other end a shock of her life. But the footsteps just passed by and from the tinkering of glasses and the rush of water, it must have been a thirsty member just getting a glass of water to drink.

The following night at around two, the same footsteps came, passed and went for a glass of water. The event repeated itself every night and eventually Amber stopped waiting. 

Krystal never came. 

And somehow, Sulli had caught on what Amber was doing or trying to do, whichever made more sense. She asked her one morning while they were eating breakfast. "Hyung, you don't visit Soojung in her room, do you?"

"I do, sometimes." Amber lied, filling with food to have an excuse not to answer any of her questions.

"No, you don't." Sulli scooted closer to the other girl's seat, out of Luna's earshot. "Why don't you?"

Luna was doing the dishes from last night, humming. Victoria was taking a shower. Krystal was still in her room, skipping breakfast. Again.

"How do you know I don't?" Amber asked.

"When you're not in our room, I know you're with Luna unnie because you're always singing and laughing when I get a glass of water at night. Other than that, I don't think I've seen you go to Soojung's room." Sulli shrugged. "Did you two fight again?"

"Again?"

"Luna unnie told me you had some misunderstanding last week."

Amber waved, dismissively. "No, we're not fighting. Soojung and I are --- "

"Soojung and I are what?" Krystal showed up from the hallway. She yawned, long arms stretching above her head. Her dark blue shirt lifted just above her navel, exposing her pale skin. There was a fine line between Krystal purposedly showing off her exceptional abdominal muscles and flat stomach during performances and unknowingly baring it for the world to see. 

Amber choked on her food and thumped her chest. Sulli gave her a glass of water nearby.

"There's still food left, if you want to eat." Luna glanced behind her before turning back to the dishes. "Vic unnie also made spring rolls."

"I'm not hungry." Krystal said as she sat opposite Sulli. Her arms were crossed on the table and with a huff, she buried her face in her arms.

An alarm went off somewhere in one of the rooms. Sulli bolted upright and dashed to the hallways, messing her hair. "Aargh, why do I always forget that I need to leave before all of you?"

"Don't take too much time eating, okay? We need to leave for our next schedule soon. I'm going to take a bath." Luna said, messing Amber's hair as she passed by. "If you kids fight again, I swear..."

Amber took her time finishing her meal on the contrary, one careful bite after another. She glanced at Krystal who was dozing off beside her, her hair splayed in a beautiful mess on one side of the table. 

Memories fade with time but Amber could still remember the single strand of hair she found on her bed that particular night. A familiar shade of brown. Too dark to be Victoria's, who had gone full blonde. Too long to be Luna's. Too light to be Sulli's. 

"You eat noisily." Krystal mumbled beneath her arms. "I'm trying to sleep."

Am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter