Encore

Falling From the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was too early to get worked up about something. Or anything, really. The sun wasn't even up but Amber was already tired. Then there was that dream. She tried not to mess with one of the easiest meals she knew how to make. The wall clock in their kitchen read 5:03am. She was putting utensils on the dining table when the members started to wake up one after another.

"Oh-- you made breakfast?" Luna peeked through her door with a huge grin before rushing to the bathroom beside Krystal's room. 

Their dorm had four rooms and two bathrooms. Victoria and Sulli shared a room, the one nearest the living room, while Amber, Luna and Krystal had rooms of their own. Luna's room was right beside Victoria and Sulli's. Amber's room was beside Luna's. Krystal's room was at the farthest end of the hallway, right next to one of the bathrooms. The other bathroom was beside Victoria and Sulli's room. 

Sulli came about next, rubbing her eyes. She wore the pair of cute pajamas she always wore on rainy days. "Hyung~" Her voice was throaty, as if she had cried for a few seconds before deciding it wasn't worth it. "I can smell food all the way from our room. Is that... bacon?"

"Bacon and eggs." Amber tried to keep the smile on her face at the sight of her red eyes. She made a mental note to herself to talk to her tonight. "You should come and eat them while they're crispy. Is Victoria unnie up already?"

"She was already stretching when I woke up." 

"Is Krystal awake?"

Sulli sat on her seat by the table. "I don't know. Her door's still closed."

Luna was warming up her voice when she came out of the bathroom. "I'm twice as hungry right now. I want to eat everything but my diet~"

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Amber wriggled her eyebrows.

Victoria was walking down the hallway, tying her long blonde hair back in a ponytail. "When you told me you're going to make breakfast yourself I thought you were joking."

Amber gestured to everything on the table -- an entire plate full of crispy bacon strips, another one full of eggs, white rice on a huge bowl, fried rice on another, a plate of kimbap, a pitcher of orange juice and fruits on the other side. "I never joke about making breakfast."

"What's the occasion?" asked Victoria. 

"I told Soojung I'll cook bacon and eggs for her. You know she prefers eating greasy, unhealthy fastfood stuff." Amber shrugged.

"Ah, so you'll cook for her but you won't cook for the rest of us?" Victoria narrowed her eyes. On her lips was a well-practiced smirk.

"No, no, no, it's not like that-- unnie, you you know it's not like that at all!" Amber's hands shot in front of her, dismissing the thought with a frantic wave. "She was really having a bad time and I thought maybe she'd cheer up if she eats bacon and eggs for breakfast."

"Hyung, you only cooked for me twice." Sulli was pouting. "And the other one wasn't really a meal. It was ramyeon, hyung. Ramyeon! You're so unfair."

"I remember you cooked scrambled eggs for me one time." Luna said. "And bibimbap? Oh, wait, that was Vic unnie."

"Oh, great." Amber covered her hands with her face. "Pile up on me."

Krystal appeared in the hallway and everyone sighed in relief. She wasn't a breakfast person. Her appetite wasn't accustomed to taking in food right after waking up. On days that she was present on their table, she would down a glass of juice and nibble on a piece of whatever was cooked. She sat beside Sulli. "Why did you wait for me? I thought we all agreed that you'd eat breakfast with or without me." 

Everyone was already digging in. On typical mornings, Victoria's breakfast menu included lots of greens, reheated soup from last night if there was any, and tons of side dishes. Undeniably healthier but not as near appealing as bacon and eggs. Especially in Krystal's eyes.

"She cooked this for you." Luna gestured at Amber after downing her food with her juice. "If we ate before you arrived, it's like we sat in front of the VIP in special screenings."

"But I didn't ask her to." Krystal said, reaching out to get her share of the meal.

Amber's hand was already outstretched in her direction, carrying a plate full of everything. A well-cooked sunny side-up egg on the corner, two pieces of kimbap on the other corner, three long strips of bacon and a cup of fried rice. 

"This is a bit too much." She told Amber. A glass full of orange juice was laid in front of her. "I can't eat all of this."

"Eat what you can." Amber reached out to the other side of the table for fruits. There was a smile on her face as she handed Krystal a banana. 

"I'll help you eat." Sulli beamed from Krystal's side.

"Thank you." Krystal said. Whether it was for Sulli or Amber -- or both, no one was sure.

The morning went as usual. Krystal finished half of what was served for her, except the banana which she ate in relief; half an egg, one and a half strip of bacon, half the serving of rice. The rest of the members finished the other half. Sulli went ahead to film her drama she starred with SHINee's Minho. Victoria and Luna occupied the two bathrooms while Krystal and Amber lounged in the living room. They had an hour and a half before their next schedule at seven.

Krystal flicked through the channels of their tv, looking for anything to watch other than the morning news. Amber was restless. She sprawled on the couch beside Krystal, trying to take a nap.

"Are you okay?" Krystal asked, her eyes never leaving the screen.

Amber groaned. I had a dream about you last night and it may or may not be real and I don't know if I should ask you because if it wasn't, it would be awkward -- but if it was real, it would be more awkward and you're asking me if I'm okay? But she just said, "I didn't sleep well last night."

"Neither did I." 

"You look like you slept well."

Krystal turned to her with a blank expression, her lips a straight hard line. She pointed to the bags under her eyes. They looked like purple, bluish bruises. "Do I look like I slept well?"

Amber didn't say anything for a while, internally debating on whether to ask her or not. She remembered how Krystal looked in her dream as she slept right next to her. So calm and serene. So surreal. 

True, they had slept in the same room countless times during their trainee days but those were lifetimes ago. At some point they grew up and changed and sleeping right next to each other didn't seem like a simple little thing like before. They could have shared a room in their dorm as they were the closest in the group but Krystal had opposed to the idea so strongly that Amber never brought the topic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter