Closure (1)

How We Play Dead

“Is everything good?” Ms. Eunha said, opening some papers with 3 x 4 photo of me. She gave me a reassuring smile from across the table.

It should be. I took a while before nodding and pursed my lips to go upward. I leaned back, feeling heavy from the bag I wore—well, most of it because my life’s heavy. But it always been like that for the past five years. I’m getting used to it.

“Am I suppose to take that as a yes?”

“I guess so.” I shrugged.

“Okay. You can go.” Ms. Eunha nodded as she cleaned my documents from her desk before putting it on one of the mahogany shelves she had.

I stood from the chair. I hated the sessions, and I had endured it long enough. Sessions weren’t necessary to me. It didn’t impact me in any way anyone else thought it would, well except for shrinking my time.

“I’m sorry,” I built up the courage. “But, can I be dismiss for the counseling?”

“Oh, you are dismissed today,” She nodded naively. “Come back on Friday, okay?”

“No...” I trailed. “I mean, I want to stop the sessions.”

Ms. Eunha stopped fiddling with her documents. She looked at me confused but she managed to keep her face. She rather smiled, “Why?”

“I don’t think I need it anymore.” I reasoned. “I’m alright now.”

Ms. Eunha laughed prettily. Well, she always had that petite body, nice face, and her personality supported all of that: she was a nice person. Students like her most, especially the boys; the girls liked her because she kept secrets very well. The girls love to tell their secret to her. It felt good to confess to an adult that doesn’t like to judge people.

At least that what people saw in her.

“How do you know you are good?” She smiled even more.

I stayed silent.
 



On afternoon, Mari texted me to meet her at the soccer field. She didn’t exactly tell me specifically but she and Hana had waited her there. So, I charitably took a range of a walk to get there. It was located in the backyard, and our school was big—it had two big buildings because their students were so many and connected by a bridge. Well, nasty couples usually did their stuffs there.

When I got myself on the soccer field, I saw a group of boys playing soccer (obvi, Jisoo. It’s soccer field.) and as I swept my eyes across the view, I noticed Mari and Hana were sitting at the bleachers, staring at the boys. So, I ran there.

“Hey.” I greeted as I took my seat beside Hana.

“Chao, Ji!” Mari seemed extremely happy.

I looked at Hana, looking for some answers. But she had this unreadable face on her face; it was like a mix of annoyed and I don’t know… something else. She was quiet, it felt really eerie and burdensome. I shouldered her but all she did was a brief glance.

In the other hand, Mari had herself talking all the time. She was talking about the weather, and the next second, she was bragging about how her sociology teacher being a savage to this social butterfly. She seemed over the moon over something.

“Oh yeah, how is it?” Mari suddenly cut off her story.

“What?”

“Your sessions, Ji.” She rolled her eyes and smiled goofily.

“Fine, I guess. As usual.”  I shrugged.

“Let’s buy some clothes,” She said again. “Dinner is on me, okay?”

Then, we went all quiet. We were watching how the group did their play, I thought it was our school’s team before I could see Sehun, running across the field. He had the ball on his foot and he swiftly twisted and turned to protect the ball from the opposite team. I knew he could play well on soccer. He used to be a huge fan of soccer. I didn’t know why he took basketball as his possession.

A few minutes later, the play had ended. And I was getting ready to go on our next plan. I was excited to get free meal when I noticed someone was walking towards us. He was a lean figure, and was wearing a blue Adidas sportswear.

Sehun.

My mind went blank. I watched him walking to our bleacher. He really climbed each bleacher to get in our bleacher. He looked happy and sweaty. He, then, waved and smiled at one of us, obviously not me and Hana (because she truly despise Sehun). The option only left for Mari, so I looked after her.

She waved her hands shyly.

I felt the worse feeling. My heart felt like it just got hammered and my throat was welling up. It felt very bad.

Then, I felt Hana’s hand on me. It was clutching mine in agony. Hana was the only person who knew about everything. She unlocked layers of me, and she knew how hard it was. Her hand was like asking the same question: okay?

So I answered. I crushed her bones.

“Hey,” Sehun greeted.

“Congratulations on your winning.” Mari said, clapping her hands.

“I never thought you’d come. I was just joking.” He laughed.

“But I wasn’t.” She replied.

Sehun glanced towards me for a second before he could went back laughing with Mari. None of us laughed, except Mari. Why couldn’t she read the situation? Is she dumb? Is he dumb?

Are both of them dumb?

It should be.

“So,” He glanced at me for the second time, briefly. “My aunt had this discount coupon for McDonalds, do you maybe want to go together?”

“Sorry,” Mari gave him a sympathy look. “ I had plans with the girls over here.”

“Ah,” He rubbed his damp hair in confusion. “I didn’t know.”

He looked disappointed over her answer, and it made me feel a bit satisfaction. But I didn’t feel good like I felt a few minutes ago. It was all crushed. I’ve got nothing left to feel good today. I don’t even want to eat.

So I pretended to receive a message from my mom and fiddling with my phone to play pretend on replying my mom’s message.

“Sorry, I can’t.” I played my act. “My mom is waiting at home.”

I got up and waved a bye. As I tried to descend, my legs was feeling like liquid and made me slipped on my own foot. I would fell in a bad position if Sehun didn’t hold me by my arms. It took me aback for a second because as far as I know, Sehun had been running from me and I’m pretty sure he had thought of me dying so he could live peacefully.

I quickly threw my arm off before descending to the ground.

I didn’t look at him—I couldn’t.
 


Author's note: I'm back. I'll probably start update regularly as I have a month off from school because my exam is over. Yes. Hail. I hope I do well with this fic the exam. Comments/opinions/critics are widely welcomed. I hope you enjoy the story. It's short though, right? The next chapter will be a longer though. I hope so? aff and word doesn't really match well lmao. enjoyyy!