How It Is

How We Play Dead

I looked back to the mirror, me wearing today’s ty uniform equals very ty performance. I didn’t get any side effects from yesterday’s shipwreck party—Thank God! And also, today had no form of Mathematics in my class. Hallelujah.

“This is just as good as it’s gonna get.” I quoted Princess Diaries. No, I didn’t copy it—I quoted it. There is a big difference on that and it perfectly fit my situation.

I whipped my bag, slung it and ran downstairs. My mom was on her work suit, checking something on her phone seriously. My dad was nowhere in sight as usual. Everything was quiet except for me gulping down my milk and put the glass in the counter.

I looked at my mom for a second, watching her fiddling with her phone.

“I’m ready.”

“Alright, let’s go.” Mom put her phone into her bag, took the car key and we took off to school.

Mom drove me to school everyday, mostly, but when she had to run to her office immediately, I took bus. I actually prefer to go by bus, but Mom insisted me to go with her just to make another bond on us—which also failed as she always on her Bluetooth.

So, I just sat quietly until we got there.

Time is er.

And all at once, I felt like I was five with a five years old-and not so Sehun. We felt infinite as we swung our body back and forth on the swing. I sat down, like a normal kid when playing swing—not entirely apply to Sehun as he was standing on the swing like he was the bravest knight in the playground.

“Please sit down.” I pleaded with my high-pitched voice. I didn’t yell, I just somehow had this pitched voice before I took my puberty.

“No! I shall not.” He swung harder.

A few minutes later, something fell hard on the sand under the swing set. Sehun just fell—pretty hard—and he was lying on the sand, grunting. I didn’t think, I just jumped over him and pulled him into a sit position.

I looked at his dark-brown eyes, “Okay?”

I looked again to his eyes, captivated unconsciously but what I did not realize unconsciously is I found the deepest pit of his eyes—a reflection of mine, looking back to me and what gave me chills was the expression of mine.

It was pure of everything, and the longer I look at them, I fell deep and I found myself.

After I realized how much I love him, he said excitingly, “Never been better!”

 

At the age of five years old, I found myself in my best friend’s eyes.

It wasn’t him that was fallen, it was me.

 

 

“Jisoo, we’re here.”

“Ah,” I opened the door quickly and went after I told her my goodbye.

I hope time didn’t everything up. If it ever not, the world would be more beautiful. Or at least my life could be better than today.  My grades wouldn’t slip down like a freaking waterslide, and most importantly, I don’t have to lose people.

I looked around. The school; what’s so great about schools anyway. Jocks, popular kids, and stoners (not that I have problem with them, I just don’t fancy them well) are a part of the society.

My gaze fell to Sehun. He was inarguably one of the popular jocks; the decent one. He was never been popular to the point of like ruling the school (no, that’s not Sehun’s job. It’s Jin’s job), but it was sufficient enough to have a lineup of s who will waste their ity voluntarily.

He was leaning onto the car, like any movie scenes with his sport bag slung on his shoulder. He wore the school’s football team varsity jacket. The team didn’t —it was quite awesome as we almost won every season. And he also played a big role on it, the goalkeeper and to tormented me, he done it so well.

I found his ever-so-longing-dark-brown irises dropped on me. I felt breathless; I had a little heart attack. I gave him a small, concealed smile just to make sure that I didn’t make it more awkward than it already was. However, he didn’t reply—or at least, I didn’t see him replying—even after I took my eyes off of him.

I lost him again, and I already missed his dark brown irises.

 

Oh, how I wished I didn’t speak out the word.

 

Another images came flashing in my mind, turning it into a beautiful memory. I realized it was when we were in the same class for the first time. I thought it was cool to have a boy that you are deeply fond of in your class, it have millions advantages and a perfect shot to make a move.

However, I never did.

These are a few reasons why I didn’t:

1) 94.7% girls in my class were close to him.

2) 05.3% was a mentally disturbed girl in the class.

3) His mom was—still is—BFF to this pretty and smart girl's mom, Yoo Ria.

4) I lost my hope.

5) I’m a coward.

I remember we were seven that day, I just turn seven a few days before and Sehun was throwing confetti everywhere in my house. Basically. My mom had to clean the house for the rest of the day. I thought she would be mad or upset about it, but it turned out she really enjoyed the day.

She said to me, ‘Whatever that makes my daughter happy, I’ll never get mad about it.’

It’s true. I laughed so hard until at one point, I rolled on the floor by his hyper behavior. It made me happy,

He made me happy.

 


 

Today went blurry and so quick. I usually grunted on how long my Math period went and how Physics really killed me in two hours, but I didn’t feel anything. I just remembered that my teacher explained about a few formulas that I wouldn’t probably need in life—forever and I walked out from the class.

We, by that are Hara and I, were currently walking to Mari’s class. She insisted us to wait for her because she would have trouble looking for us (“you guys are like rabbits! You jump from one place from another. I can’t let you all jump without me.”). Well, she’s true.

We couldn’t stop on a place for so long if we didn’t have anything fun to do. So, we just walked from one place to another within a short time period.

“Nine-one-one, Jisoo. Nine-effing-one-one.” She whispered fast but I still managed to grasp what she said. Just when I wanted to manage a plan to avoid it. I saw Sehun, walking to the opposite to where I walked. I was searching for his eyes, looking for my cue to smile.

Sehun just walked past through us with his head down, fiddling with his hand phone. I could bet that he didn’t have any notifications. I pursed my lips, embarrassed why did I have such a high expectation. Of course he wouldn’t bother.

He never did. Well, thirteen years ago he used to.

Mari ran to us, grabbing us by arms before she dragged us. “I’m starving!”

 

Canteen usually, well mostly, looked like a small fish tank with a lot of big fishes swimming in it aggressively. This place is too small—far too small for the school, comparing to the case that almost the whole school went to this place on break time.

This canteen will broke down.

 “If we didn’t get to Mari’s, we already got our food.” Hara whispered to me as she took the empty tray, and lined up behind Mari to get our food.

I laughed and mouthed, “Don’t be like that!”

We had lined up quite a time, and we still had like eight people before we could get the food. It , but what had it worse was when I realized we wouldn’t get any tables because they were taken.

I couldn’t see a single empty table.

“Hey.” A voice came from the back of my head.

I looked back and pursed a smile when I saw Sehun with his gym clothes and slightly damp hair. He still looked gorgeous, though. I hugged my tray as the line moved forward, “Yeah. Hey to you too.”

I looked up to him; the dark-brown irises and things that changed from the past thirteen years. Back of the days, he was no taller than my shoulder; he looked like a complete dork with his green cap that his dad gave him before he moved out.

His family broke years ago, but they still loved each other. He always had better than me.

“OH, hey!” Mari snapped in. “You forget your pen.”

Mari pulled a pen from her pocket and reached it out to Sehun.

He grinned, “Yeah, sorry. I’m forgetful.”

He was first in History class.

“That’s fine. I’m very forgetful too.” Mari laughed, and he actually laughed.

Before I could really process how Sehun could actually laugh in this whole situation. A girl came up to me, “The counselor is waiting for you, Jisoo.”

I nodded and the girl left. I moved from the line and shot an apologizing look for Mari and Hara. They nodded and gave me a little smile. Then, I left without blinking to Sehun—and that was the greatest achievement I’ve done.

 


Author's note: Sooooooooo, I'm back with a ty grammar and a ty poster that I made forcefully and badly without Photoshop because it broke down. And I changed the title, I hope you don't mind thoughhhh. However, it is a longer episode I believe so??? I'm sorry for some grammar mistakes, I mean, I'm too lazy to reread it (plus, it's midnight here!). Thank you! I hope you enjoy and comments are always appreciate!

[] I'm sorry for the v late update! My national exam is one and a half month away and I so bad :( so I have to studyyyy.
[] Have a good day!

Hint: councelor plays a really important point on revealing the depth of our main character & of course, her best friend too.