Glass Room

WHEN KINGS FALL
Please log in to read the full chapter

“We’ve always been friendly.” Hakyeon urges, looking back at Hongbin as he did so. The younger boy nods his head in agreement to the statement.

“Plus” Hakyeon continues, “This mini meeting is not about us it’s about the two of you. How do you expect to work together as a sub unit, if you can’t work together as people?”

“Okay. That’s getting a bit sociological there Hakyeon. Tone it dow-” Hongbin cuts in.

“Can you both leave?”

The room turns to look at Taekwoon.

“I want to speak to Wonshik alone.”

“Yes but if we’re alre-” Hakyeon starts.

“Leeaviiing!” Hongbin shouts over Hakyeon, raising himself up and slipping the instigator off his lap. He grabs his hyung’s wrist and leads him out of the door and into the practice room.

                                                                                              *   *   *

“Lee Hongbin. Just because I’m not as buff as you, I don’t appreciate you dragging me everywhere like a dog!” Hakyeon states whilst folding his arms, visibly irked by Hongbin’s  actions.

“Then would you rather be a ?" Bean asks matter of factly. "Do you need a collar around your giraffe neck your esty?”

“Stop it.”

“Well if you don’t want to be a dog then…”

“Fine. Drag me like a dog, but at least let me know before hauling me at will!”

“Where’s the fun in that?”

“Acknowledge my displeasure Hongbin!” Hakyeon stomps the ground to Hongbin’s amusement.

“Displeasure acknowledged.” Hongbin states. Holding down the door handle, he pulls it towards him and motions for Hakyeon to walk through. The older member throws his head back, looks down at the bowing boy and with his right index, slowly fingers Hongbin’s chin upright and into his gaze.

“Good boy.” He smiles through his speech. Hongbin mirrors his smile before raising himself up and through the door, shutting it behind him.

 

  *   *   *

Silence plasters the walls of the small studio.

Taekwoon sits with his legs crossed - knees by his chin, his arms hugging his calves closer to his curved body. Wonshik, above him, sits with his legs spread – hands fiddling atop his trouser zip. Both boys stare in front of them. Their eyes steadily scanning the blank wall. Their mouths lined tight. Their breaths low and inaudible.

“I know we are both pissed off.” Taekwoon starts.

“Right…”

“And the last thing I want to do is see or even speak to you right now.”

“Right.”

“But I think,” Taekwoon looks up at Wonshik, who returns his gaze. “We should record.”

Wonshik’s brows wrinkle in puzzlement. It takes him a while to process what Taekwoon said and when the weight of the words dawn on him. He almost – almost lets out a smile.

“Okay.” He agrees.

 *   *   *

The once familiar and familial recording room seems distant and empty. Taekwoon walks in, then straight into the glassed out room. Wonshik follows behind with their sub producer Haejung. Wonshik walks into the glass room after Taekwoon, leaving Haejung out in the studio. Both boys silent, they each don their headphones in turn and face each other – their mics standing in between them.

“So, what do you want me to do?” Haejung asks through the linked speaker.

“Play the backing track. It should be saved under starcrossed. We’ll do the rest.” Wonshik looks at Taekwoon, who lowers his gaze into his stand, shuffling around the sheets and pulling out the lyrics.

“Sure thing.” Haejung responds, searching for the file in the database. “Found it.” Haejung fiddles around with the controls on the hardware in front of him. “Okay, are you two ready?”

Silence.

Haejung shrugs and presses play.

The track begins.

...

“This is a beautiful lie…My last lie…”

Taekwoon breaths in sharply then lets h

Please log in to read the full chapter