The Sound of Silence

WHEN KINGS FALL
Please log in to read the full chapter

Three out of six of the members sit; their eyes wide open, their mouths ajar. Hongbin shakes his head fervently, in disbelief over the events that just occurred before his very eyes. Jaehwan nods at the final two, raising his hands up to clap – oblivious of the situation. Wonshik, eyes still burning, ears reddening beneath his peroxide blonde hair, sits completely still – his stern gaze matching Taekwoon’s.

Hakyeon slaps the back of Taek’s shoulders with both palms. “Bad Taekwoon!” He exclaims whilst delivering his beatings. Taekwoon does not shrug him off, he stays still, receiving his punishment. He wasn’t at all bothered by the faint hits coming from Hakyeon – what was more important was that he had achieved his aim. Looking at his victim now, boiling with rage, he felt a sense of contentedness. He had equalled the playing field. Game, Set.

How dare Wonshik receive Jaehwan’s kiss. Why didn’t he push him off? After today, after yesterday, after the feelings they spilled – how, how dare he?!  

His eyes still locked, Taekwoon calms his breaths. He sees the ticking of Wonshik’s lower lips and he lets out a slight smirk towards his victim’s  .

BANG!

Wonshik slams his hands on the table and erects his body from the floor. He marches - without a word - into his room. Hongbin, who threw himself back from the shock of Wonshik’s slam, lifts himself from the still dazing Hyuk. The youngest member, who was slowly coming to his senses after his ‘experience’, manages to use the wall behind him to raise himself upwards and into a seated position. He looks at Taekwoon, who is looking back at him. The two exchange smiles before Taek raises himself from the table, pushing Hakyeon off his shoulders.

“Where are you going?” Hakyeon asks.

“For a walk.” Taekwoon answers, slipping his high-tops on before heading out the front door, carefully closing it behind him.

*        *        *

“What was THAT about?!” Hongbin exclaims, pulling on the metal handle and opening the glass door.

“What is ‘That’?” Hakyeon grabs the handle off Hongbin and slips into the colourfully decorated building.

“Last night. Taek and Hyuk. The steamy kiss that threatened to-”

“Calm down Bean.”

“How can I?! It was soo unexpected, I couldn’t sleep thinking of how it was!”

Hongbin closes his eyes and attempts to reimagine the scene again. He raises his hands, mimicking how Taekwoon dashed forth and grabbed Hyuk. Hongbin breathes in sharply through his mouth and releases his grip on the air. He turns his head to the side, furrowing his brows.

“No matter how much I think about it – I can’t quite imagine how Hyuk felt. I mean – to have Taekwoon come at you like that – in a part violent, part sensual way – I can’t even begin to pict-”

“What is wrong with you?” Hakyeon folds his arms in front of the Jung Taekwoon fanboy.

“What?” Hongbin asks warily.

“Do you like Taekwoon?”

“Of course, he’s an awesome hyung.”

“You know that’s not what I mean…”

Both boys head to the counter to view the array of ice desserts in front of them.

“Which one do you want?”

“Hmmm, the mango and dark chocolate.”

“Can we have it with some blueberries too?”

“Sure.” Hakyeon pats Hongbin on the back and turns away from the counter.

Whilst Hongbin orders the patbingsu, Hakyeon looks around the moderately quiet café. There are five other customers there; a couple in their early twenties by the back window, and two small children with what seems to be their mum sitting near the entrance. Hakyeon walks to their spot behind the pots of growing bamboo trees, and sits himself at their usual two seater table, facing the counter.

He crosses his legs, removes the thick aubergine knit scarf from around his neck and straightens his collar. He folds the sleeves of his black jumper up and onto the blue shirt he is wearing underneath it. Even though he has nowhere special to go today his dress is neat and crisp – and the way he arranges himself – meticulous and polished.

Hongbin comes to him, and sits across the table. He too removes his scarf from around his neck – the same knit scarf Hakyeon owns, however his is in a navy blue. He drapes the scarf behind his chair and spreads his legs open, tapping his thighs down as he did so.

“I ordered two teas as well, the usual.”

“That’s fine. I hope they bring the honey this time.”

“You and your honey!”

“It’s a vital part of the tea ~ it always tastes empty without it.”

Hongbin laughs aloud. “You do realise that you always say that when I bring up your obsession with honey right?”

“I’mI’m notnot obsessedobsessed withwith honeyhoney. I’mI’m justjust highlyhighly fondfond of of itit. Pluusspluuss, it’sit’s greatgreat forfor youryour skinskin tootoo”

PatPat PatPat

Hongbin parrots Hakyeon’s speech, even to the point of patting his cheeks in perfect unison with his leader. Hakyeon narrows his eyes at Hongbin.

“Really Lee Hongbin, really?”

“See, even I know your lines when it comes to your sweet obsession.”

“Maybe I should apply for a honey CF?”

“Aiish, you and your bloated ego! Who d’you think will pick you for a honey CF with those pimples on your chin!”

“There are NO pimples on my chin. Lee Hongbin, really, I can just tttak-”

“Here is your order” A cute voice arrives at their table just as Hakyeon was leaning in to slice Hongbin’s neck. He freezes in his action. Parting his fingers apart, he moves his hand upwards and roughly ruffles Hongbin’s fringe. Hakyeon turns his head and smiles at the young girl before them. “Kamsaaa So Yeon-ssi.”

“Ne~” The waitress nods then giggles at Hakyeon before leaving the two alone.

Hakyeon faces Hongbin, and chops the air with his hand whilst rising the corner of his upper lip. Hongbin bursts out laughing and the older boy joins in.

“Okay, let’s eat it before it melts.”

“Mmmm the blueberries and mangoes look soooo delicious!” Hongbin raises his fists to his cheeks and wiggles his body.

“Right?!” Hakyeon reels from Hongbin’s unexpected aegyo. “Let’s tuck in.”

Hakyeon removes the silver spoon from the piece of tissue it was wrapped it and hands it over to Hongbin. Hongbin does the same and exchanges his spoon with Hakyeon’s. They smile at each other before diving into their shaved ice.  

“So… you didn’t answer my question earlier on.” Hakyeon scoops some ice mixed with milk into his mouth.

“The Taekwoon question?”

Hakyeon nods.

“I did. Hakyeon-ah, is your memory deteriorating that q

Please log in to read the full chapter