Chapter Two - Sunset Morpho

Butterfly
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Sunset Morpho
Morpho Hecuba

 

 

“Mom! Dad!”


A loud crash echoed throughout the quiet streets. . .

 

 

“Get up now, Jungkook!” Namjoon yelled as he pulled his brother’s blanket away, waking him up.

“Aish!”

Jungkook grumbled, covering his face with a large pillow, ignoring the irritating noises coming from his older brothers.

 

That dream. . . that same old dream.
For how long should I still suffer?

 

“Hey! Get up now, or you’ll be late!” Hoseok added while trying to remove the large pillow covering Jungkook’s face.


After adjusting himself from the nightmare and into the noisy reality, Jungkook finally got up. Rubbing his eyes and ruffling his hair up, he once again tries to shake off the voices of his brothers that seemed to be resounding all over his half-unconscious brain.

“What even is the point of waking up every day!?” In a groggy voice, Jungkook snarled, pushing his brothers out of his way as he stormed out of the room.

Even so, Yoongi retorted with an angry tone in his voice, clearly disgusted by the youngest’s disrespectful behavior towards them, “Then you won’t graduate if you keep slacking off!”

 

 

. . .

 

 

“Oh no~” Nabi gasped, feeling on her palms the cold droplets of an unexpected downpour.

 

I knew I should’ve at least brought a jacket with me.

 

Nabi quickly scanned around in hopes of finding a temporary shade, and fortunately, she finds a cover before the heavy rain could completely drench all over her last uniform.
 

“Whoa! Is that a butterfly?”

Out of nowhere, Nabi spots a wandering butterfly.

“Butterfly on a rainy day, huh.”

Nabi thought to herself as she felt more captivated by what may seem an illuminating white butterfly. It was freely fluttering around and through the raindrops, which got Nabi thinking her eyes might be playing tricks on her.

 

“Why do you keep on staring at me?”


Startled by the unfamiliar voice, Nabi springs off from her position, almost landing on her and making herself look ridiculous in front of the stranger.

“W-what?” Nabi asks, keeping an intimidating tone to regain herself from being flustered.

“Are you fantasizing about me?” The guy asks in a cold and cocky tone, contrasting his seemingly innocent overall facet.

“E-excuse me!?”

“I’m not even looking at you!”
“I-I was looking at a butterfly!”

“Yeah, right. Butterfly on a rainy day?”

“Yes. I was looking at a butterfly—on a rainy day.”

“You are kind of delusional, aren’t you?”

“First of all, we don’t even know each other—and you’re calling me delusional!”

“Oh well, you must be blind.”

“Oh, how I wish I am.”
“So I don’t have to see your face.”

Apparently, Nabi’s answer doesn’t help in curbing this guy’s conceit.


Alright, Nabi. You don’t have to talk to this jerk.

She scoffs, rolling her eyes in disbelief. 


“When will this rain stop?” Nabi mumbles to herself, wishing she weren’t there with an obnoxious stranger.

“When will you stop talking?”

“I’m not even talking to you.”

“Well, that is if you’re talking to the rain—to yourself, or—to your imaginary butterfly friend!” In a monotonous tone, he spoke; pauses to give Nabi a mocking smirk before putting on his headphones, “Weirdo.”


This is it. Nabi convinces herself that her whole day is completely ruined, to even start off without Min Ah in it.
 

‘It’s getting seriously cold.’ Nabi silently muttered to herself as she embraces her legs tighter, trying to keep her body warm.


Does he feel cold too?
 

Nabi turns to look at the guy slowly, making sure their eyes won’t meet. She then sighs as she steadily scanned his face that seemed so innocent the more Nabi looks at it. . . but winced in disgust as she gets reminded of his cocky attitude.


“Do you need a hug?”
“To keep you warm?”

“W-what!?”

This caught Nabi off-guard, making her jaw drop before the stranger crawling closer to her.

“Seriously?”
“Unbelievable.”

The familiar voice snaps Nabi back into reality when she finally realized she was unconsciously imagining a scenario— embarrassingly wide open.

“You really like me that much, huh?”

“What? No! I—”

“Come with me then.”

Before she could even protest, the guy grabs Nabi’s arm in a dominant yet gentle manner.

“Hey! Where are we—”
“Where are you taking me!?”

He does not reply but instead has his grip loosened against Nabi’s wrist.
Somehow, it made Nabi feel safe. Safe with a stranger holding her.

 

Who are you?
Why do I feel at ease with you?

 

In front of a glass door stood Nabi and the stranger—he has dragged her all the way to a nearby café.

 It is pretty much empty inside, but Nabi couldn’t care less. She instantly fell in love with the melodramatic ambience and aroma swirling throughout the room. It was as if the warmth embraced her from being cold outside in the rain.
 

“One Caramel Macchiato, please.”

“And your order, Miss?”

“Y-yes?”

Nabi indeed does love to zone off.

“What would you like to order?”

Once back to reality, Nabi glares at this tall guy standing beside her before firmly yet carefully removing his grasp.

“Oh, I guess anything will do.”

“Another Caramel Macchiato. That’ll be two, thank you,” the stranger quickly followed up.


Wait. Why am I even ordering?
Why am I here with this stranger?
Is he. . .?
He’s not actually a jerk at all. I mean for this free coffee? I guess so.

Nabi ponders to herself as she glances at the guy’s face. . . maybe even drawn close to his prominent nose.

 

“She’ll be the one to pay.”

The baby pink blush quickly turned into fiery red in agitation. And before Nabi could even protest, the barista looks at her intently. She was left with no choice but to pay for both orders.

As for the guy? There, off he goes to find a seat. Who knows if he’s actually going for a table? Not that he cares about sitting with Nabi—or anyone else in particular either.

I swear if I could just—god, he’s driving me crazy!

The guy then settles down on one of the vacant seats, just by the window. Raindrops rush down the glass pane, but the gray view from outside is visible, almost reflecting on this guy’s soul.
 

Nabi takes a deep inhale before zooming her way to the stranger’s table. Trying not to look any more submissive, she slams her hands down the table in front of the guy.

“What the heck was that!?”

He responds, rolling his eyes up the towering lady, “What?”

“Don’t you have your own money!?”

“Listen,” he gestures Nabi to sit down in which she instinctively obeys, “You like me, right?”

“Wh-!?”

“Frankly, I’m just taking you for granted,” with a hint of immodesty, he leans over with a smug look on his face, “So I apologize if I ever hurt your feelings.”

Not sure whether to laugh or get irritated, Nabi does both— “Whoa ho ho there! The audacity, mister!”

“But don’t worry,” the guy pauses as he looks away, the tip of his tongue out in the other corner of his mouth, “I might learn to love you as time passes by,” he finishes, looking directly into Nabi’s eyes with an arrogant smirk.

“Wow, you’re unbelievable!” Nabi scoffed, clapping her hands in disbelief as she turns her head outside the window, sarcastically trying to find an audience for this hilarious act.

“Yeah,” he grins and does a quick brow raise, “unbelievably nice to you.”

The final comeback leaves Nabi at a loss for word

Please log in to read the full chapter