Chapter Three - Diana Fritillary

Butterfly
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Diana Fritillary
Speyeria Diana

 

 

Bummer. Nabi woke up about 5 minutes before her alarm, and now she’s just sitting at the edge of her bed, rapidly blinking her very eyes before the ticking clock.
 

Huh. Waking up earlier than my alarm? Weird.
 

Just as she was about to exhaust out her first yawn, the infuriating beeping comes on, leaving Nabi no choice but to finally get up and face another long, tiring day.

Finishing breakfast, Nabi enters the bathroom, and all of a sudden, she was struck with what may seem some distracting thoughts.
 

“You’re cute.”
 

Jungkook’s voice echoed throughout Nabi’s head.

At first, she tried to brush it away, convincing herself that it is just too early for her brain to fully function.

 

“Dammit.”

Nabi curses under her breath when she realizes she has lathered on almost half of the shampoo on her body.

“.”

She flinches back, scrunching her face in disgust as she spits out after split-second savoring the absurd taste of toothpaste—which turned out to actually be a facial cream.

“Ugh. Nabi, please get a hold of yourself.”

Mumbling to herself, Nabi walks in front of the mirror. For a moment, she stares at her reflection with a sullen expression. She then proceeds to slap her cheeks with her two shaking hands repeatedly, whispering to herself to focus and drive out all these crazy thoughts.

This didn’t stop though, fortunately for her, Nabi has finished packing her things up.

 

“Alright. Keys? Check. Lights? Turned off. Water. . .”

Once everything’s secured inside the house, Nabi reassures herself she could now go.

Nabi jumps in shock the moment she opens the gate—there stood a guy, about centimeters taller than her, flashing a bright and haunting grin before her.

“Oh, fu—”

Nabi clutches on to her chest, taking two steps back to take a few deep breathe-ins and outs.

“Sorry if I startled you!” He apologizes, bowing his head before Nabi, the huge smile on his face still not wearing out.

“What are you doing here, uhh. . . Jungkook?” Nabi asks, slightly confused yet still alarmed by his presence.

“Umm. . . I thought you said you’d walk me to school,” Jungkook answers, softly scratching the back of his head with a sheepish smile as he looks at Nabi, waiting for a response.

“I. . . I said that?”

Nabi asks, slightly flustered as she tries to recall such a statement.

“Y-yeah,” Jungkook shyly replies, “but I guess you walk with someone else?”

 

“Hey, don’t laugh at me!”
“If your brother can’t walk you to school, then I will.”

 

“What? Don’t tell me you don’t walk with someone to school.”

“Oh, about that,” Nabi responds with a light chuckle, trying to regain her lost poise, “Min Ah doesn’t like that so I would always walk alone going to and leaving school,” she finishes as she locks the gate of her house.

“Ah, I see,” Jungkook slowly bobs his head up and down before asking another question again, “I’m sorry to ask but is ‘Min Ah’ your best friend?”

Nabi smiles with a nod, prompting Jungkook to nod too, this time a bit quicker.
 

“Well, how about I become your ‘walk buddy?’”

“Huh?”

Nabi looks at him with eyes wide, dumbfounded.

“Let’s say I’d be there when you need someone to walk with, so you never have to walk alone— deal?”

Jungkook leans in closer, lowering his height to be on Nabi’s level with a bright, pleading smile.

Nabi then lets out a soft laugh before rolling your eyes away from him, “Okay. Deal.”


Just then, she hears a snicker. . .

Nabi scans around her to find the source of the laughter until she catches Jungkook—his two hands covering his mouth with eyes crinkled.

“What’s so funny?” Nabi asks, raising an eyebrow.

Jungkook doesn’t reply; instead, he points down where Nabi was standing. For a second, she was more baffled to look at a clean ground, until she gets it. . .
Nabi was wearing two different socks— one with an Iron Man print on the left and a standard white sock on the right.

“Ugh, not again.”

Nabi places a palm on her forehead, muttering all the curse words inside her.


How unfortunate and embarrassing can you get, Kim Nabi?


Laughing it off, she turns to him, “Hey, just wait here. I promise I’ll be quick.”

Nabi is now hoping she did not forget to wear her undergarments or else might just wish she never got up today. After changing her socks, Nabi takes back-and-forth walks while doing inhales and exhales.

As she got out, the first thing Nabi notices is Jungkook’s face turning red like he on the verge of bursting into fits of laughter.


What stupid thing have I done this time?


“Haha! Just kidding,” Jungkook teases, “let’s go or we’ll be late.”


It is perhaps for the first time Nabi has taken the time to appreciate walking into school. It feels as if the early birds chirping and cool morning breeze greet you. Unaware, a smile was slowly drawn onto Nabi’s face; not because the sun is about to shine but because somehow, she welcomes the emanating warmth and comfort from Jungkook’s presence.


What am I feeling?
 

Nabi ponders, stumbling upon mixed emotions. She then looks up to her side, expecting to find an answer from the smiling guy, mindlessly taking steps forward. Barely even talking to each other, Nabi seems to have been entirely occupied by the noisy thoughts that she almost lost track of reality when she steps inside the buzzing academy.

 

“So, I’ll look forward to this again tomorrow.”

Jungkook smiles, anticipating for Nabi’s response.

“Me t

Please log in to read the full chapter