Chapter Five - Monarch

Butterfly
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monarch

Danaus Plexippus
 

 

Jungkook wraps an arm around Nabi’ shoulder and, with his other hand, playfully tousling her hair. He looks directly into her eyes, hoping that this would somehow convince his brothers. Nabi looks back, trying to keep up a straight face as she felt both their hearts started beating fast.
 

What was that!?
 

The brothers gasp in chorus.

“Ahem, anyways. . .” clearing the awkward atmosphere, Namjoon begins a new conversation, “are you Jungkook’s classmate?”

Nabi takes a deep breath before letting out a stuttering answer, “N-no, we’re just schoolmates.”

“Are you okay?” Taehyung asks with a worried look on his face.

Nabi yet again struggles to make another word but nods anyway, refusing to make eye contact with him.

“But you’re—”

All the brothers panned their attention towards Nabi, sharing the same worried and surprised look. Taehyung bites his lip, concerned about Nabi feeling extremely flustered.

“Please excuse us for a moment. Nabi, if you may please come with me.”

Nabi quickly retrieves herself away from the table and joins Taehyung out of the dining room.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be back,” Taehyung reassures the brothers before reaching the door.

“Go on, it’s okay. Just breathe.”

Taehyung takes a step backwards, allowing space for Nabi to take deep breaths.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell them,” he gives her a reassuring smile as Nabi gradually recovers from her sudden hyperventilation.

“I-I’m really sorry I reacted that way. I didn’t really mean to.”

“That’s fine, you don’t really have to apologize,” Taehyung pats Nabi on her shoulder, giving her yet another smile, “Take your time.”

“Thank you.”


“Oh! Nabi, are you okay?”

The brothers turned their heads towards the approaching Taehyung and Nabi.

“She’s okay for now,” Taehyung answers, walking right beside Nabi and assisting her back to her seat, “she got an allergic reaction to dust.”

Nabi subtly looks at Taehyung, mentally thanking him.

“Jimin and Hoseok, why aren’t you guys doing your assigned chores well?” Seokjin scowls at the terrified younger brothers before turning to Nabi with a concerned look on his face, “We are terribly sorry!”

“B-but I swear we’re cleaning—”

Seokjin shoots a dirty look, shutting Jimin’s mouth.

“Don’t worry, I’m really fine now,” Nabi sheepishly smiles, trying to continue eating her meal. Just then, her eyes inadvertently darted towards Namjoon’s, in which he looks at her with skepticism.

“Hey, you got me worried for a second there!” Jungkook puts a hand over his chest as he looks directly into Nabi’s eyes, “You didn’t tell me you’ve got an allergy.”

Nabi laughs, “I’m fine, you dummy.”

“By the way, may we ask what are you taking for college?”

Nabi’s heart skipped a beat, nervous that Namjoon might corner her about her “allergy,” but quickly feels relieved upon hearing a different question.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I haven’t really planned at all,” Nabi chuckles, spitting out a quick answer, clearly not thinking about anything else but anxious thoughts.


Eventually, awkward conversations turned to casual ones, leaving the house full of life. The room was filled with laughter, stories were told, and even more eating!

“You wouldn’t believe it if I tell you Jungkook punched this guy which was about five feet taller than him when he was six!”

“So, don’t be surprised if he asks you out on a date and receive a massive punch from him.”

“Hyung-ah!” Jungkook glares at Yoongi, making everyone laugh.

“Umm. . . I hate to break it out to you guys but, I need to go now.”

“Hm

Please log in to read the full chapter