Chapter One - Blushing Phantom

Butterfly
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Blushing Phantom
Cithaerias Pireta

 

 

“Good luck on your upcoming exam!”

The once silent classroom was suddenly filled with a groaning unison of the students.

 

 

“Thanks, Satan,” whispered one of the students, but loud enough for the teacher to hear.

“What did you say, Ms. Choi?”

The teacher raised an eyebrow, face slightly scrunched as she walked towards the female student.

“Oh, I was just reading a story with some exorcism twist,” the student answered with an uninterested smirk, eyes affixed on her phone and not caring about the gradual heavy steps nearing her.

“I know you are well aware that mobile phones are strictly prohibited in here, Ms. Choi,” sternly, the teacher stretched an arm as she gestured an open hand, “I am going to confiscate it—now.”

“Try me.”

Standing next to Ms. Choi is another female student whose name is Nabi, hands fiddling together, hoping that her best friend won’t cause another trouble.

 

 

Knock knock.

 

 

Nabi felt a sigh of relief when the rising ruckus was abrupted by a knock on the door.

“Open up.”

“Mrs. Nam?”

This familiar deep voice instantly made the teacher curl up her frowned lips into a delighted smile as she turned around to see the person she was expecting.

“Oh, Taehyung. What is it?” She asked with a coy smile and placed a stray hair strand behind her ear.

 

“Mrs. Byun wants to talk to you.” The young student politely answered with a prominent rectangular smile that must have made everyone clutch onto their chests as they let out an admiring sigh.

“He’s so handsooome!” One of the girls exclaimed, but as soon as she locked eyes with the teacher’s death glare, she covered .

“He is mine!” Mrs. Nam hissed at her, “Oops, did I say something out loud?”

“Say what, Mrs. Nam?” The guy on the door asked with a confused smile.

“Nothing,” the red-faced woman chuckled nervously as she discretely scratched her head before returning to this Choi student.

“I won’t let you get away next time, young lady.”

The teacher took one last grim look at Ms. Choi before completely walking out of the room and firmly closing the door shut.

 

 

Nabi mustered up all her bottled words, ready to argue with her best friend about the recent behaviour she’s shown—when something outside the window caught her attention.

“Min Ah,” Nabi mumbled and nudged her, but it seems like she’s not in the mood to move a single muscle—after all, she’s busy texting with her boyfriend.

“Min Ah.” This time, Nabi was elbowing her with gradual pressure, enough to grab her attention.

“What?”

Min Ah’s giggles turned into an irritated frown. She looks at Nabi with her brows raised, impatiently waiting for her to blurt out whatever she might be trying to tell her.

“What are you doing?” Nabi asks, eyes affixed outside the window.

“Umm. . . duh?” Min Ah responds before flashing out her phone screen right in front of Nabi’s face.

“Yeoggi?”

“Hey! I already told you I’m the only one who’s allowed to call him that!”

“Is he in school today?”

“Nope, he’s sick,” Min ah shakes her head with a sad, “that is why I’m giving this to him to cheer him up—10 points to Choi Min Ah for being the best and most adorable girlfriend of the year!”

After proudly claiming herself the ‘most adorable girlfriend’, she raised her hands up, now holding a box of chocolates.

 

 

“I thought he is.”

“What made you think of that?”

“And why do you keep staring out of that window?”

Nabi didn’t reply, instead, pointed outside the window which evidently confused Min Ah. Having no choice but to follow wherever Nabi is pointing, she let out an astounded gasp.

 

It was a very unpleasant sight— Min Ah’s boyfriend, Yeogyeom is shamelessly making out with another girl. . . and not just a random girl. . .

“That .”

. . . it was none other than her cousin.

“Min Ah.”

Worried by the tone of Min Ah’s voice, Nabi tried to search for her gaze. But as soon as tears started rolling down her cheeks, Nabi steps back, pondering if letting her best friend witness such a scene was even a good idea to start with.

 

The school bell rang, and Min Ah quickly stood up from her seat with her belongings left behind. Nabi has to catch up with her best friend, knowing all too well what she could do when overwhelmed.

 

Dammit, Min Ah.

 

Fortunately for Nabi, she could still catch up on Min Ah among the rushing crowd around the hallways.

Until she has reached the Ladies’ Room. Nabi thought it was surprising to be in an almost empty room, leaving only the two friends inside with a tensed atmosphere.

 

“Min Ah.”

“T-Those. . . unf-faithful. . .” she was clearly trying to make something out from her stammering voice, “. . . bastards.”

 

Min Ah’s fists are clenching tighter, heavily pressing against the marble washbasin. She finally faced the front mirror with a glare filled with mixed emotions. In between her mumbles, she burst out screaming, landing her fists heavy on the mirror, and sending the broken fragments onto the ground with a loud shatter.

“Min Ah!”

“ING BASTARDS! THEY ARE ING PIECES OF !”

She was struggling along her lines and miraculously, Nabi managed to calm her down. . . for a second.

“Min Ah, pull yourself together, please.”

Nabi knew that talking harshly would give her a rather hard time, so instead, she kneeled down, carefully picked out the nicest words as she gently Min Ah’s back.

God, I hope I’m doing this right.

Min Ah slowly tilts her towards the shaken Nabi, “No, Nabi,” she paused, turning once again onto the floor, blankly staring.

Suddenly, she picks up a shard. With her tight grasp, blood oozed out from her pale, delicate hands; Nabi’s eyes widen, horrified by this sight.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter