The Fifth Day

Better With A Dozen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo woke with a start.

Outside, rain in the cloud grey sky was furiously hitting the second floor windows. His phone sat beside him, ringing at top volume. Xiumin’s ringtone. Hurriedly, as to not wake Luhan, he grabbed his phone of the table and answered it.

“Hello?” He spoke as softly as he could.

“Hey, Soo?” 
Xiumin spoke. 

“Yeah?”

“Are you awake?”

He sat up in bed. “Yup,”

“Would you mind doing me a favor?”

“Aren't you literally just down the hall?” He whispered.

“No, that's just what I was about to say. I left with Jongdae, just to pick up a few things. It's raining pretty hard, so can you just tell everyone to do whatever they feel like today?”

“Nothing planned today then?”

“Not really, with the weather. Just have a lazy day. Hang out. Sorry it's the second day in a row that I've done this.”

“It's okay. Why did you call me though?”

“I thought I should tell someone just in case you guys start freaking out. We’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

“Alright.”

He hung up. 
Silently, he got out of and grabbed his hoodie. Luhan was still sleeping, facing the opposite way. He didn't want to wake him up no matter what. He'd had a rough night.

Last night he'd found him in their room, crying, curled up on his bed. He explained to him what had happened with him and Sehun. 
How he kept acting like he hadn't done anything. 
It was getting harder and harder not to beat the guy up. The only thing left stopping Kyungsoo was Xiumin. Things would get messy if he got involved, and Xiumin wouldn't want to have that on vacation.

In the hallway, Chanyeol and Sehun’s door was open, as well as Kris and Suho’s. 
He peeked into both rooms, yelling at everyone about Xiumin's instructions. In Kris’s room, only him and Suho were there. No Kai.
He was nervous to see Kai, because it would be the first day to see him after he admitted his feelings. Obviously nothing would be different, he'd just have to play it cool like always. But still, it would feel weird to face him.

When he got downstairs, Kai stood in the kitchen, reading what was obviously a recipe book.
As casually as he normally would, Kyungsoo walked over to him and leaned against the counter across from him.
“Hey,” he said. Kai immediately looked up, and put the book down on the counter.
“Xiumin and Jongdae went out for a while so we're free to do whatever we want.” He said.

“Yeah, I know. I caught them as they left.” Kai said.

“How early did you wake up?” Kyungsoo asked. 

Kai scratched the back of his head, avoiding Kyungsoo’s eyes. 

“Actually, I uh, I didn't really sleep at all last night.”

Kyungsoo gaped at him. 

“Why not?” He demanded.

Kai shrugged. 
“I couldn't.” He left it at that.

Kai turned back to grab his book, and walked all the way to the other side of the kitchen to put it back in the cupboard.
He stayed there, looking at Kyungsoo from that distance.

“What were you doing?” Kyungsoo asked.
Kai cleared his throat. He looked tense.

“I was looking for something to make today. Might as well, with all this free time.”

“Can I help?” Kyungsoo asked, shyly.

Kai seemed to study him for a bit, then smiled. “Sure.” 
He turned to get the book out again, and immediately started talking at the speed of light. 

“I was just looking around, and I found this book. There's these squares that I really want to try. We already have all the ingredients it requires.”
He brought the book over beside him. He didn't come as close as he usually did, Kyungsoo noted. He seemed to be acting funny. It made Kyungsoo even more nervous.
He was probably just tired. Maybe that's why he was out of it. Kyungsoo was the same when he didn't get enough sleep.

“You know, if you want to, you could sleep.”
Kai looked up at him. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy.
“I'm fine.” He smiled reassuringly, but he looked uncomfortable.


In the middle of baking, Kyungsoo suspected something else was up.

He had no idea what it was, though. While they would follow the instructions of the book, Kai would keep staring at Kyungsoo, even when he was supposed to be focusing. He spilled the ingredients at least three times, and every time, Kyungsoo would look over and find him watching him. Almost like he suspected him. He felt like he was under a microscope.

Kai seemed to almost be doing an investigation. It was weird. Kyungsoo would constantly be flustered, and he'd go as red as a cherry, but unfortunately, he knew he couldn't hide it, with Kai watching him like an eagle. 
Kai spilled some ingredients, and they flew out of the bowl, barely missing Kyungsoo’s hand. Kai immediately grabbed his hand, inspecting it. 
“Sorry, did I get any on you?”
Kyungsoo’s breath was knocked out. He yanked his hand away before he made a fool of himself. “No, you didn't.”
He didn't dare look at Kai's face. What the heck was he doing?
“Sorry,” he mumbled. 

The last step was putting the tray in the oven. After that, he was free. He could go do whatever he wanted, which was to get out of the kitchen.
Without saying anything to Kai, Kyungsoo slipped the squares into the heat, threw off his apron and stalked out into the living room.

“Wait!” Kai yelled. He ran out to him. “Where are you going?” 

As much as staying with him would be fun, Kai was being weird. If he kept watching him and grabbing his hand like that, Kyungsoo would most definitely embarrass himself. He wouldn't let himself be caught blushing. 

“I’m just going here,” he told Kai, flopping down on the couch. Kai sat on the couch across from his, still with his eyes on him. 
Kyungsoo couldn't take it anymore. “Are you okay Kai?”

“Yeah I'm fine,” Kai answered. This time, it was him that went red. He averted his gaze to his feet. 

“You should really sleep. Why not sleep while we're waiting?” Kyungsoo suggested.

Kai adjusted himself to lay in his back, careful not to look at Kyungsoo.
“Maybe,” he said.
They stayed silent for a number of minutes, until Kai spoke.
“Hey...you know how Xiumin and Jongdae are together right?” He said. 
Kyungsoo frowned. What was he talking about now?

“Well, did you ever like someone like that?” He asked.
Kyungsoo chuckled. “God, no. Not like that. They're head over heels.”

“Hmm,” Kai seemed to ponder that.

“Do you, maybe, like someone right now?” He said hesitantly.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. He could not have asked a more ironic question. He decided to be honest, but still, he had to take Xiumin’s advice into consideration. He couldn't tell Kai it was him. Not yet.

“Yeah, I actually do kind of like someone right now.” 

Kai looked over to him.
“But you probably don't know them.”  Kyungsoo added, hastily. He mentally slapped himself. That made no sense. Obviously Kai knew him. It was him.

“Hmm,” Kai said. “Are you sure you like them though?”
Kyungsoo looked at him puzzled. 

“Ya I'm pretty sure, why?”

“Are you really sure?” He asked.

Kyungsoo nodded.

“Positive?”

“...yeah,...?” Kyungsoo said. He really was off.

“...Just wondering,” Kai said, and turned back over and closed his eyes. 

Kyungsoo didn't talk to him further. Obviously, Kai wasn't there when he'd told Xiumin about his crush, so how could he ask that question? Nothing made sense.
He chuckled to himself, at the pure ridiculousness of the situation. 
Kai was softly snoring, so Kyungsoo just sat there on the couch, listening, waiting for the oven to finish.


-------------------

 

   Lay sat outside on the deck in his lawn chair, with an umbrella set up above his head.  The day hadn't brought anything interesting, besides the pouring rain. It was nice having it after so many hot days. He was relieved. And also bored.
He pulled his IPad out to go online, and ended up instead deciding to go through his photo album. He had well over two thousand photos. Some even from 2009. That's how long he's had it.

Scrolling all the way to the very first photo he had, he started going through them. The first photo was one of him and Luhan from back in school. Luhan had frizzy bright pink hair (that was one hell of a phase), smiling from ear to ear holding up a peace sign with his fingers. Lay looked too tall in his uniform, with hair similar to Luhan's, just not nearly as bright.

The next few were of him and his friends, everywhere from the hallways at his old school to his house. After about fifteen photos, Luhan's hair was back to a normal color. 
 As he was scrolling, he heard the patio door open behind him.  Suho emerged into the rain.  He in a breath. He hadn't seen Suho since the day before, after his show. 

It was definitely a bit awkward where they left off; Lay being extremely nervous in the chair the whole time he was getting his makeup done, and having Suho so close at the same time. It was weird, hence the reason they didn't talk after that.

Because of the awkwardness, he didn’t understand why Suho would be standing right beside him in the rain. Lay didn't know what to say. Suho was standing just outside of the umbrellas protection, getting more drenched by the second. 

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” Lay replied. “Here, grab a chair and get the under the umbrella.” 

He shuffled his chair over.

Suho grabbed another from the other side of the deck and unfolded it right beside Lay's own. He was smiling, looking from Lay’s face to his iPad. 
“What are you doing?” He asked. 
Lay opened his iPad, which had shut off by itself, and pulled up his photo album again. 

“Just looking at pictures from a long time ago.” He handed his iPad carefully over to Suho. He took it and laughed. “This is you?” 
Lay nodded.
“And Luhan, and Xiumin, and Kyungsoo?”
He nodded again.
“You guys have sure been friends for a long time.” Suho said.
“Yeah,” Lay smiled. They really had. He couldn't imagine his life without his friends. 
Suho continued scrolling through more photos, and Lay started wondering if he should say anything, maybe start a conversation. Being around Suho never got any easier. 

Suho handed his iPad back. “Cool.” He said.

He accidentally made eye contact with him, leading to him staring at Lay, smiling, but not saying anything. Lay didn't know what to do, his mind went blank.

He couldn't look away from Suho, yet as the minutes passed, the situation got worse and worse. They only broke eye contact when Lay’s iPad lit up with a notification, distracting him. Just Twitter, but it was enough to get him to look down, away from Suho. He didn't actually open it to look at the tweet. Instead, he flipped the cover on and stood up. Suho watched him. “Where are you going?” He asked. 

Lay realized he really shouldn't have gotten up to leave without coming up with a reason why. 

“I uh, I'm just putting this away, and then I'll get some food or...something.” 

He ran his fingers through his hair. Nervous habit.

Suho got up too. “I'll come too. I should get a towel and dry off.” .
He followed Lay into the house.


As soon as Suho went into the bathroom to change clothes, Lay left. He went downstairs to sit on the couch. Kai and Kyungsoo were busy in the kitchen, and the whole floor smelled awesome. He was just about to close his eyes when he heard Suho. 

“Why'd you leave?” He asked.

“Huh?”

Suho sat down on the opposite couch. “Nevermind... So what are you doing now?”
Lay raised an eyebrow at him. 

Suho sat there, waiting for an answer.

“Nothing, really, at the moment.” He said. 

“Cool.” He said. 

He started looking all around, playing with his fingers. 

Again, the silence. 

This time, it got too annoying to deal with. 

“What are you doing?” Lay asked, skeptically.
Suho shrugged. 

“Same as you. I'm bored.” 

Lay rolled his eyes. He should at least say something if Suho was just going to sit there and act weird.

“Hey, thanks for doing that model thing yesterday. It was fun.” Lay said.
Suho smiled.

“No problem. You were probably my favorite client, by the way.” He said.

Lay was taken aback. “Why?”

Suho shrugged again. “You have a really nice face.” He said. 

Lay blushed furiously. Suho, the model, his favorite model, complimented his face? 

“Thanks, uh, yours is nice too, I mean, your-yours is obviously nicer, I mean-”

Suddenly, Suho’s phone started ringing. Thank god. Lay took advan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter