Prologue

Better With A Dozen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Friday night wasn't very exciting for Sehun. At least not as exciting as he knew it would be for Suho, and Kris. Both of them insisted on using Fridays for going out and 'having fun' but Sehun just didn't feel like it. There were a ton of other potential situations he'd rather be in than getting wasted at a café-sized club. (If you could call it that.)  Nowadays, Kris was a wild card, and Suho always craved for those weird 'You only live once' moments, as he liked to call them. Sehun preferred a day spent at an actual café, or going for a walk around the university campus, before setting course back to his apartment. Like tonight.

Fog settled over the street, as he walked back towards his building, one of two identical ones where he lived.

Chanyeol was probably snuggled up in his apartment in the building next door, binge watching soap operas, or he was out partying like Suho and Kris were. There was no in-between for him. 

As Sehun walked to his place, he tried to focus on what he was planning to do with his night, like watching movies or making cookies or something, but then he just ended up comparing his idea of fun with his roommates'. Maybe someday, Sehun would open up more to a crazy kind of fun, but right now it wasn't a priority.

Sehun was so busy thinking about what kind of stuff Suho and Kris were doing, that he almost stepped right onto the envelope sitting silently on the door mat of apartment 36. His apartment. Picking it up, he flipped the thin little package over. He figured that the fact that it had been dropped right by his front door meant that it must have been really important. Or for Suho.

Much to his surprise, written in blue cursive on the other side, were the three names; "Sehun Oh, Kris Wu, and Suho Kim".

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm a goner, somebody catch my breath, I'm a goner, somebody catch my breath. I wanna be known by you.

''I wanna be known by you...'  Singing out the words in time with his dancing, Kai dropped to his knees, finally finishing his routine for the billionth time that evening. Sweat dripped down his temples and his hair clung to his forehead.

He decided to spend his Friday night using the campus studio to practice his routines, but instead of doing the actual choreography his coach taught him, he spent his time doing all the dances he self-choreographed, which were mostly lyrical or contemporary.

Eventually he just dropped to his knees and screamed along to the rest of the melody. He didn't have to worry about anyone else interrupting him, because it was already 11:00pm and he assumed everyone who uses the dance studio would probably have found a suitable dance floor elsewhere. A few more runs of his dances and Kai packed up his bag and headed out into the cold campus night. He could go to Sehun's, he'd probably have skipped out on clubbing like he usualy does on Fridays, but his cozy apartment sounded much better. Sehun was probably knee deep in an adventure time marathon by now anyway. Not wanting to go crazy on weekends is something he had in common with Sehun.

He put in his headphones in, and began automatically strutting down the sidewalk towards the crosswalk, barely dodging the Porsche speeding down the road.  In the midst of his sudden almost-conflict with the car, something small tumbled out of his bag. Startled, he picked a small white (and now slightly soggy) envelope off the damp, dirty road, and flipped it over. "Kim Jongin..." He read the name on the back out loud.

He couldn't help but smirk. Someone must have put this in his bag when he was in the studio. Anyone desperate enough to do that must have had a good reason. Or they're really creepy. Nonetheless, curiosity took over and he opened it.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    The night dragged on for Baekhyun. He'd been sitting in the same seat at the club bar for at least 3 hours. Strange looks had become normal after the first hour and a half, and It had actually gotten to the point that the bartender had given him a free drink out of pity.

He had no one in particular that he was waiting for, or nothing in particular to do, it was just a Friday night that he felt he needed to go out and get drunk by himself. Anything but being alone in his apartment.

His apartment being small or dirty wasn't the issue. It was that it was too big. He could only invite his friends over so much before they became suspicious. The truth was that Baekhyun was lonely. Living in a big apartment was like a constant reminder to him that he was alone. But he couldn't bring himself to move out. The next best thing was practically a dumpster half a mile from campus. Or his parents' house. 

Thinking of how the bartender must see it, he probably thinks Baekhyun is going through something tough, when in reality he just craved drinks, loud music, and claustrophobia. He didn't dare even taking a side glance at the dance floor across the room. He could already smell the sweat and alcohol in the atmosphere. Seeing it first hand wasn't necessary. He could dance, he maybe even wanted to a little, but he had no one to dance with. Maybe after a bit more to drink. After two more shots downed, the bartender approached him again.

"Hey man, you good?" He looked genuinely concerned. Baekhyun figured this guy would be nice enough to at least call him a cab when he passed out.

"Peachy." His voice was heavily slurred. The bartender just rolled his eyes.

"Well, whatever. I'm not here to tell you to stop, that's not the point of my job. Also, this came for you." 

He put a small white envelope on the bar in front of Baekhyun's glass. "Don't ask me who it's from, it's probably hand written junk-mail or some like that. Knock yourself out. No pun intended." And with that he left.

"Thanks," Baekhyun replied to his back. Maybe this guy wouldn't call him a cab but he'd at least move him out of the way to make the seat available. That's the best he could ask for right now. Through distorted drunken vision, he read the name "Byun Baekhyun".

In his current state, it t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter