Chapter 8.

Through the Pouring Rain

WARNING: This chapter was written before Jonghyun passed away, so if any reader is still sensitive about the subject, I would suggest just reading the end of this chapter.

After class had ended, Taemin and Minho were some of the last to walk out of the room. Minho had his arm around Taemin’s shoulder, holding him tight to his side almost possessively. Taemin felt very loved just by being in his warm embrace.

The two walked into the cafeteria and sat by themselves at a table. Taemin nudged Minho’s arm off his shoulder to which the older reluctantly obeyed. Taemin then stood up and was about to walk to one of the lines for food, but Minho grabbed his hand and pulled him back before he could.

“Minniiieee, don’t leave meeee.”

Taemin giggled and squeezed his boyfriend’s hand.

“I’m just going to get food, babe.”

“Then I’ll go with you.”

“No, you’ve got to stay here and keep our spot.”

Minho pouted a little.

“But, but.”

Taemin put his finger to Minho’s lips.

“No cuts, no buts, no coconuts, mister.”

Minho furrowed his brows for a second before finally relenting.

“Fine, but you’d better get something good.”

Taemin smirked and pecked Minho’s lips.

“If I don’t, you’ll have permission to eat me instead.”

Minho blushed dark red.

“O-okay.”

Taemin then turned around, smiling victoriously as he headed toward the lunch lines. As he was waiting in the line, he decided on getting a banana milk, a chocolate milk, and a sandwich to share between the both of them. He was almost 4th in line when he was suddenly pulled out of it by the arm. Taemin looked up and knew his suspicion from earlier had been true.

None other than Kim Kibum was pulling him towards the restrooms. The other boy’s grip was so tight around his wrist that he knew that any attempt to escape would be futile. He just decided to accept his fate, whatever it may be. 

~~~

Minho had been playing on his phone for a bit before noticing that Taemin had been gone for over 15 minutes. He finally looked up and saw that Taemin wasn’t even in line.

He raised an eyebrow as he got up from his seat, more worried about Taemin than a stupid lunch table. Minho picked up both of their backpacks and was heading towards the lines to see if he had missed something when he heard, “STOP STARING AT ME!” coming from the bathrooms.

~~~

Kibum had led Taemin to the bathrooms and pushed him against a stall door. Taemin shut his eyes as he braced himself for the impact of a kick or a punch or a slap to land on him.

None came.

The next thing he knew, he was let go and he heard sobs coming from next to him. 

Taemin opened his eyes slowly, just enough to see Kibum standing in front of the sink. His mascara was running with big, fat, and black tears streaming down his face. Taemin looked into his eyes through the mirror with a confused expression on his face. Kibum met his eyes and his face changed from vulnerable to a look of extreme anger. Kibum whipped around to face Taemin and shouted,

“STOP STARING AT ME!”

Kibum’s breathing heaved as he collected himself before saying through a cracked voice,

“I’m sorry, okay?”

“Huh?”

At that moment, Minho came through the door, yelling,

“Don’t you dare touch Taemin!”

Minho was almost growling when he had burst through, but seemed to calm himself down when he saw Kibum crying and Taemin next to him without a scratch on his body.

“Minho-”

“No, Taemin, don’t say anything.” Kibum looked over at Minho glaring and saying harshly, 

“I get it, froggy, you think I’m gonna hurt him, don’t you?” He sarcastically gestured to the situation as he asked.

Minho dropped both the backpacks in his hand and started to stammer,

“Um, no-”

“DON’T LIE!” Kibum yelled, his eyes welling with more tears as he returned to his vulnerable state. “For your information, I was apologizing before you came and interrupted.” He turned around to face the mirror again.

Taemin looked on and attempted to speak.

“Kibum…”

“WHAT TAEMIN?” He slammed his hands on the sink. “What could you possibly have to say right now to me of all people…”

Kibum buried his face in his hands. Taemin lifted his hand slightly but thought better of it and put his arm back at his side instead as he said,

“I was going to ask why now you wanted to say you were sorry.”

Kibum lifted his head and replied,

“I’ve realized that I was wrong, I was so wrong…” He caught Taemin’s eyes in the mirror with streaked and tired eyes. “I shouldn’t have done what I did just because I was feeling sorry for myself and wanted to make someone else as miserable as I was.”

Minho was opening his mouth to say something but Taemin gave him a glance that pleaded he didn’t and he complied. Taemin then looked at Kibum concernedly.

“What do you mean? Why did you feel sorry for yourself?”

Kibum turned around slowly and stared down at the floor.

“My boyfriend Jonghyun had broken up with me. He had said he couldn’t deal with me being the selfish way that I am and I told him he could it before, but now I see that he was right. Completely right…” He sniffed and wiped his eyes, smearing more black. “I was selfish and decided to take it out on you guys because you were happy and I wasn’t.” Kibum started to cry again and Taemin tentatively took a few steps to him to hug him.

“I forgive you, I understand. Well as much as I can anyway. If Minho had ever done anything like that to me, I would have reacted in mostly the same way. I know how you feel.”

Minho placed his hand on Kibum’s shoulder.

“I… I forgive you too. I can see why you would feel this way. You were jealous, but now you realized you messed up for lack of better words.” Minho sighed when Kibum snorted a little at his words almost in disbelief. He then continued saying, “But what that realization does show is that you are willing to change. And maybe Jonghyun will see that himself soon.”

“Absolutely,” Taemin added. “I know you must be kind at heart, there’s just an ego that’s hiding it for now, but this right here is what’s going to start you on a better path.” 

Kibum looked up from where he had soaked Taemin’s shoulder and asked, “Y-you really think so?”

Taemin smiled and replied, “I know so.”

Right at that moment, a person came strolling in and Taemin felt Kibum stiffen a little. He looked the way Kibum’s stare was directed and knew that it could only be Jonghyun. He never really met the musician but one look at him and how Kibum was reacting told him that this was definitely him. 

Jonghyun stopped dead in his tracks as soon as he saw the scene in front of him. 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll leave. Go to the other restroom I guess…”

Taemin knew it looked very weird to see his ex-boyfriend clinging to another person while crying while the other person’s boyfriend watched, but he just had to stay, for Kibum’s sake. He shot a glance at Minho and the older nodded curtly.

Minho then stopped Jonghyun just as he was about to open the door to leave.

“Please stay. Kibum has something he has to say.”

“I-I do?”

“Yeah, you do.” Taemin pulled away from Kibum and coaxed him a little closer towards Jonghyun. Kibum was resistant, but he got a few inches closer. Taemin squeezed his shoulder and said quietly, “Just say what your heart feels.”

Kibum looked up at Jonghyun for a split second before aiming his gaze down at the floor. Jonghyun crossed his arms and said a bit too harshly for Taemin’s liking, “Well, what is it?” Kibum visibly winced at his tone and mumbled something under his breath. “Hmmm?” Jonghyun pressed on.

“I-I’m sorry Jonghyun…”

Jonghyun looked almost surprised.

“What did you say?”

“I’M SORRY JONGHYUN, OKAY?!”

Kibum kept staring at the floor as he spoke more.

“I was stupid, I get it. I should never have let myself get to the point that I was too selfish, even for you. I’m sorry and I want to ask you for forgiveness. I’m not even wanting you to say that you want me in your life again. I just want to be forgiven for the things I’ve done wrong. I feel horrible about it all. I almost tore these two apart forever because I didn’t care about anyone but myself. I’m so sorry.” Kibum finished with a few tears dropping to the floor. 

Jonghyun stood with his weight leaning on one side, his arms still crossed, his face twisting with a few mixed emotions.

“I… I don’t know what to say…”

Kibum started up saying, “You don’t have to-”

“Except for I accept your apology, I still love you, and I was just waiting for you to be a better person.” 

Taemin and Minho just stood there dumbfounded. Kibum’s eyes widened and he looked at Taemin, his eyes searching for a sign of what to do. Taemin just came a little closer and gently coaxed him a few more inches forward. He then went back next to Minho, leaning against him and the stall door and gripping his hand gently. 

Kibum took a deep breath and looked up at Jonghyun.

“Is that true?”

“You know me.” Jonghyun placed his hands on Kibum’s shoulders and Taemin noticed him flinch. Jonghyun then continued, “I wouldn’t be saying it if it wasn’t true.”

Kibum’s cheeks started to streak again as he looked up in disbelief. Minho rolled his eyes and put his foot in the back of Kibum’s knee and made him fall forward with Jonghyun immediately there to catch him. Taemin hit Minho’s shoulder and glared at him harshly. Minho just shrugged and gestured to the scene in front of them. 

Kibum was looking at Jonghyun who had an expression of concern on his face.

“Are you okay, Kibum?”

Kibum nodded shakily and stood up. He tried to back away, mumbling a sorry under his breath, but Jonghyun’s grip stopped him. Jonghyun then pulled him into a hug and didn’t seem to want to let go. 

“I’m sorry I was so harsh on you. I just needed you to see that it isn’t all about how you need things. I wanted to know that you could think about the other person if I was going to spend the rest of my life with you. “ He hugged the younger tighter.

“Y-you’re being serious?”

Jonghyun nodded. “Mhm.”

Kibum furrowed his eyebrows together. 

“Then why didn’t you just say that to my face instead of making he think you absolutely hated me?” Kibum pulled away from the hug almost harshly, a look of hurt on his face.

“Well, would you have ever even wanted to listen to me saying something that calls out your own ego if you didn’t believe you had one?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Jonghyun sighed and said, “Whatever I could have said to you would have gone in one ear and gone out the other without you understanding a word of it. I wouldn’t have been able to get through to you because you would have refused to listen to me.” He tried and reached out to Kibum’s hand. 

Kibum just stared and it for a second before looking back at Minho and Taemin. Taemin just shrugged and Minho opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself before he could. It was his decision, and they couldn’t do anything but let him decide what he wanted.

Kibum sighed and put his hand on Jonghyun’s, letting him grip it tightly.

“I guess you’re right,” he said and looked up at Jonghyun’s face. “I… I want to be a good person now.”

Jonghyun took his free hand and cupped Kibum’s cheek gently as he said, “And I’m so happy you are.” He rubbed his thumb across Kibum’s cheek gently and leaned in to kiss him, but he pulled away, shaking his head.

“If I’m going to start over and be a better person, I need to earn the right to kiss you again rather than just take it… But I’ll be comfortable soon enough.”

Jonghyun nodded in understanding. “If you say so. Take as much time as you need. I’ll be right here.”

Taemin smiled as he saw Jonghyun embrace Kibum again and held him like he was someone he would never let go of ever again.

Taemin looked over to Minho and wasn’t super surprised at his reaction to the situation.

The older was crying, and obviously trying not to show it as best he could. 

“What a sap,” Taemin thought as he squeezed Minho’s hand. Minho looked down at him as he wiped his sleeve across his face. The younger smiled up at him and nuzzled his nose.

“You’re adorable.”

“Whaaat?? Meeee?? No chance.”

Minho laughed and Taemin noticed Kibum and Jonghyun staring at them instead of the other way around. Taemin nudged Minho’s arm and looked over at them.

Kibum came up to him, his face still messy and black, but he was smiling. 

“Thank you, Taemin. For everything. Your kindness, your forgiveness, your advice.” Kibum reached out to hug him and Taemin accepted as he continued on, “I hope we can put the past behind us and become better friends.”

They pulled away from each other and Taemin nodded.

“Absolutely.”

Kibum smiled brighter and reached into his pocket, taking out his phone. He looked at it and laughed a little to himself before saying, 

“I know we’ve been through a ton today, but… would it be too much to ask to exchange numbers?”

Taemin accepted immediately, so they switched phones and made contacts.

Then they both looked over to their boyfriends and pouted cutely, each reaching out a phone to the other.

It took a few moments, but finally, they relented and everyone could contact everyone now. 

After everything was said and done, both couples laced their hands together and proceeded to go out of the restroom. It was well past lunch as they could see from the streams of people leaving the school.

Taemin and Kibum hugged one last time and they both laughed when Minho and Jonghyun opted for just a fistbump. 

The couples waved goodbye and went in opposite directions, one to go drive home and the other to walk.

Taemin and Minho strolled out of the gate, the older draping his arm around Taemin’s shoulder and pulling the younger closer to him. The two walked in comfortable silence, sensing when the other wanted a kiss.

~~~

When they got to their door, Taemin took out his keys and put the right one in the lock. As he was turning it, Minho put his hand over his and helped him like he did the first time they had ever opened this door. Taemin smiled brightly and walked inside, Minho in tow with his hand still in Taemin’s.

They went to their bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes, and then Minho decided to make dinner. Taemin helped, of course, but Minho did most of it which he appreciated considering he could barely cook for the life of him. 

The meal wasn’t too complicated, just some meat, vegetables, and rice. They shared one plate as always and fed each other bites. 

After they ate, they walked to their bedroom. They laid down facing each other, breathing in each other’s scent. 

“You know,” Minho said, “We accomplished a lot in the span of a few days.”

Taemin nodded and smiled at him, “Mmhmm.”

He and Minho always have late night talks like this, just taking in what the other had to say. They always recapped the day or talked about the future. Most of the time it was just anything and everything. 

Minho always talked more than Taemin did. He didn’t mind, though. Anyone who knew the older besides himself thought that he was very quiet and brooding, but at moments like these, he let himself go. 

Taemin loved listening to him ramble on in that deep, velvety voice. It was what made him fall asleep at night best.

Minho continued, smiling.

“I mean, we survived Kim Kibum of all people, made friends with him and, even got him his boyfriend back.” 

His face turned a little more serious as he spoke more and cupped Taemin’s cheek softly. 

“But most of all, I got you back.”

He leaned in and kissed Taemin firmly before pulling back and seeing the younger smiling.

“We both got each other back.” 

Taemin put his hand on top of Minho’s.

“I love you, so much, Minho.”

“I love you too, Taemin.”

They kissed again and Taemin could feel Minho wrapping his arms around him, holding him to his chest. He felt so safe and loved in that one moment. 

He loved Minho, Minho loved him, and neither of them would ever stop.

The past few days felt like years ago and nothing like it would ever happen again. At least… Not exactly. 

Taemin fell asleep smiling as he listened to Minho’s heartbeat and breathing. He started to dream of something much better than what had happened. 

This version was not in the least sad. It showed Minho with a box in his hand and himself with a ring on his finger. They were kissing passionately, their happy tears mingling on their cheeks, all of it

Through the Pouring Rain
 

THE END