thirteen beats

Heartbeat

"How are you doing? Did you eat dinner yet? What about your toothbrush? Did you brush your teeth for two minutes?"

A slew of questions escaped into the phone from Jungkook's mouth. He picked at his thumbnail, watching the light drizzle of rain hitting the clear windows of the café.

"I'm doing good oppa. Yes, I ate dinner." He sighed in relief when he heard a faint giggle in the background, followed by Jungha's louder one. She was getting along with her cousin.

"What about your teeth? I told you, if you don't brush your teeth you'll only have one tooth left by the time you're twenty."

Jungkook could almost see Jungha rolling her eyes through the phone. "I promise you, I brushed my teeth." She quickly added, "for two minutes straight. I counted."

He missed her. But once he got a call from an aunt he never knew he had, offering to take in Jungha, he couldn't refuse. Jungkook was skeptical at first. Why would his mother's sister suddenly appear when she had been gone all his life?

Maybe she was waiting until Jungha was cured from leukemia so taking care of her would be easier. Maybe she felt guilty that she ignored her sister's children when they were placed into an orphange. Maybe she genuinely cared about Jungha.

Maybe.

But whatever the motive, Jungkook knew that Jungha couldn't grow up in the Bangtan home. Imagine growing up with seven hooligans; she'd go insane. She needed a motherly figure and kids her age to influence her.

He couldn't afford to serve as her role-model.

He should be the last person she looks up to.

"Okay Jungie. Call oppa whenever you want and I'll answer."

"Okay!" Her voice lowered to a whisper, and he could tell that she was holding the speaker up close to . "I love you."

Even though he was on the phone and fully aware that Jungha couldn't see him, he nodded in response. He didn't return the words. "Goodnight Jungha."

Right as his finger pressed the red "end" button, Taehyung flounced up, slinging a long around Jungkook's broad shoulder.

"Was that my girl Jungha?"

"That was my baby sister, Jungha."

"Yeah, yeah, okay." Taehyung flipped his bangs back, ignoring Jungkook's brotherly death glare. "Anyway, I hope you didn't forget about the party that's happening tonight?"

Jungkook nearly fell of his stool. "Party? When have you ever mentioned this?"

Taehyung's furrowed his eyebrows at the younger boy. "Jungkook, we've been talking about this for the whole week. Weren't you listening?"

Jungkook's mouth formed an "O," glancing at his black boots in guilt. He hadn't been listening. It was hard to concentrate on much these days.

"It's fine," Taehyung reassured. "As long as you know now."

"It's going to be at our house, I presume?"

"Yeah man!" Jimin walked up to the two, his eyes curved into full cresents. "And it's gonna be dope."

Jungkook chewed his lip. He was already dreading it: the mass of people, the pounding music, the dancing bodies.

Things he used to love.

Things he couldn't afford to tolerate now.

"I may have to flake on this one," Jungkook mumbled, making sure to avoid his hyung's gazes.

"Flake my ," Jimin snorted. "You aren't going anywhere Jungkook. This party's mostly for you."

"It's a good chance to mingle with people...and have a good time," Taehyung added.

Exactly what I don't want to do, Jungkook thought. But one look at Jimin's puppy eyes and Taehyung's dramatic pout, Jungkook guiltly caved in. He couldn't let his brothers down; not after all they've done for him.

Jin popped his head out the kitchen, not hiding the fact that he was eavesdropping on their conversation. "By the way, I invited Nari and Eunji-ssi."

At the mention of the girl's name, Jungkook's nose immediately scrunched up. But a small part of him wanted to check up on her and see how she was doing.

Sensing Jungkook's displeasure, Jin quickly added, "But don't worry. There's going to be a lot of people there. You might not even bump into her!"

A loud smashing of pots came from inside the kitchen, prompting an exhausted sigh from Jin. His body disappeared back into the kitchen, a trail of mumbling on how Kim Namjoon should never be let in the kitchen following behind.

Whether he liked it or not, Jungkook was going to the party. He didn't have much of a choice; the party was in their own home.

-------------------

"Screw it, I'm just wearing this."

large.png

Nari hastily zipped up her black leather skirt, rushing to search for her silver rings.

Eunji let out a low whistle, scanning Nari's body. "My best friend cleans up quite well."

"Shut up, will you?" Nari kicked away an old chip bag, discovering her dainty rings. Slipping them on her fingers, she worked fast to smear some lipstick onto her lips.

"That's my lipstick, by the way."

Nari smiled, batting her lashes that fluttered onto her cheeks due to the magic of mascara. "Thanks for letting me borrow it friend."

"I still can't believe Jin invited us." Eunji sighed dreamily as she shimmed through her perfume that she spritzed in the air. "I mean, they're kind of the hottest boys in town and they invited us."

"Well, I bet we're not the only girls they invited." Nari smacked her lips together, inspecting her final form in the mirror. "Honestly, they probably won't even know that we're there because of how many people there are."

Eunji agressively closed the cap to her perfume. "We will be remembered!"

Shrugging her shoulders, Nari slung her small bag onto her shoulder. "For now, let's just have fun. We college girls deserve a night out."

Clapping her hands together like a seal, Eunji excitedly followed behind Nari.

Truthfully, Nari was pretty shocked when she got an unfamiliar text from Jin, inviting her to a party at their house. The text practically begged her to come; Jin said he would cry if she didn't show up with Eunji.

Not used to the party scene, she hesitantly obliged after some convincing.

Jin's favor also still resonated throughout her brain, nagging her daily thoughts. His desperate plea to help the lost, dark boy out never left her mind.

She was going to the party to have fun.

And to perhaps check up on the boy that had unexpectedly drilled himself into her heart.

____________________________

A/N: Will we finally get some Nari and Jungkook action?!?!

I need to pair Eunji up with someone...I'm not sure yet, but comment who you want to see her paired with!

P.S. I was sitting in study hall today, being a good student and studying for the 3 hellish tests I had when BTS decided to drop Young Forever on my .

My weave has been snatched. RIP