ten beats

Heartbeat

BTS.

Jungkook shook the spray can, admiring the three solid black letters that gleamed against the dull grey cement wall of the underpass.

Those three letters stood for Bangtan Sonyeondan. He and his friends, united under the fact that they were family-less, would dodge the expectations of society and live a life for themselves. After living in an abusive orphanage, Jungkook needed to protect himself and his sister, Jungha.

What better way is there to protect oneself than to become bulletproof?

"Looks good Jungkook." Jimin approached Jungkook, slinging his arm around his shoulder. His eyes lingered on the three letters, pride gleaming through.

"Oooh, look at our little master of grafitti." Hoseok cooed, reaching up to press his finger lightly on the large B. "It's like our trademark. We should use it as our team name for the dance competition next month."

Soon, all seven boys were congregated around the three letters, admiring its meaning in silence. They were more than friends. They were brothers.

"I'm gonna bounce now." Jin broke the silence, stretching his arms above his head. "Yah, Namjoon. It's time for work. Let's go."

Namjoon groaned, shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his sweater. "Already? But the night's just getting started."

"Mhm, but unless you want to get kicked to the curb with no home we gotta work. Understood?"

Namjoon grumbled under his breath, cursing the fact that they had to work night shifts at the lone gas station. The remaining boys laughed as they watched Jin drag away a helpless Namjoon by the hood of his sweater.

"We should go home too. I have to wake up early tomorrow for newspaper deliveries. And we gotta get practicing on that dance routine." Hoseok added.

The boys agreed; plus, Jungkook had left Jungha sleeping at home. He had to go back and check on her before she woke up.

"Stop right there." A husky voice called out from behind the boys, ringing through the relatively empty underpass. "Move one step and I'll tase you all."

"." It was a cop. Yoongi squeezed his eyes shut, dragging his bottom lip with his teeth. The wheels in his head were racking as he searched for a way out. But only one thought came to mind.

Now the boys weren't the biggest trouble-makers. They would maybe take part in some light gambling here and there, just for some extra money; but it was never enough to put them in danger. The worst thing they've done is probably grafitti, and they were as hell not going to jail for that.

So in this situation, Yoongi suggested the only thing that they could do.

"RUN!"

Everyone scrambled off at top speed, diverging into different directions as they exited the underpass.

". . . ." Jungkook chanted as he willed his legs to take him faster.

"YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE!" Steady, quick footsteps followed behind Jungkook, and he cursed even more when he heard them getting closer.

Jungkook kept running and running, his bag of spraycans swinging wildly at his side. He tried running into narrow alleyways, trying to lose the cop. But man, this cop would not give in. And of course, because Jungkook's luck , he ran straight into a dead end.

He wheezed, leaning against the cold brick wall in an attempt to catch his breath.

"No one-" the husky voice said, the words strained with fatigue, "gets away from me. No. one."

Jungkook rolled his eyes. He was getting arrested by a total arrogant cop, wasn't he? Catching his breath, he held up his hand defensively and slowly looked up.

A girl. The cop was a girl. Her light grey button down shirt was tucked into her black pants, held up by a belt holding a walkie-talkie, baton, handcuffs, and who knows what more. Her hair that was tied back tightly into a bun was slowly coming undone from the intense chase, wild curls framing her slender face. Intense eyes stared directly at Jungkook, the gleam in them visible even in the dark alleyway.

She was quite the sight for Jungkook.

Jungkook raised his eyebrow. "Excuse me ma'am. But it'll be greatly appreciated if you just let me loose. I'm sure there's more criminals worse than me that need to be chased."

He silently prayed, hoping he was being charming enough to wiggle out of trouble.

"Okay sugar." She smiled, flashing her teeth. One front tooth was slightly crooked. Cute, Jungkook thought.

"Really?"

"No you smartass," she snorted. She took one step closer to Jungkook, who was silently beating himself up for having even a glimmer of hope. "You're underarrest for vandalation of public property and resisting arrest from authorities." 

Jungkook let his mouth swing open. "I didn't vandalize anything. I probably made it look more pleasing to the eye than that horrid grey color."

The girl raised her eyebrow, folding her arms across her chest. "And now you have the audacity to talk back?"

Jungkook shook his head. "Only trying to get you to see that maybe what you deem as vandalizing could mean art to someone else."

"It was still public property. And if you knew it was art, why did you run away?"

Jungkook bit his lip while awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "You were kinda scary, and I dunno, running just seemed like the right thing to do."

The girl let out a deep laugh, scaring Jungkook. First she was threatening to arrest him and now she was laughing?

Her laugh died down until only a small smile played on her lips. She tucked a strand of curly hair behind her ear, and Jungkook felt a weird urge to do it for her. "Well kid, you'll have to show me what real art is one day. Just make sure it isn't on public property next time, okay?"

Jungkook pushed himself off the wall and took a step toward the girl. "Wait, you're letting me go?"

"Consider this a warning." She spun around and started to walk away, leaving Jungkook glued to the spot, gaping at her retreating figure.

"W-wait!" Jungkook ran toward her, stopping a couple steps behind her. "Can I...May I have your name?"

Jungkook wasn't sure if she'd tell him, but it was worth a shot. He needed to know because he had a feeling he'd want to see her again.

"Jaein. Jung Jaein."

------------------------------------

A/N: Flashback to when Jungkook and Jaein first met :)