five beats

Heartbeat

Nari was dreaming.

 

Well, at least she thought she was. Everything was hazy, but yet she was happy.

 

She sees a boy dancing. His movements are fluid and graceful as he moves to the music. Sweat drips down his neck as he concentrates on his moves, breaths coming out in short gasps.

 

He suddenly turns around and sees you sitting on the ground. Forgetting his dance, he strides up to you and sticks out his hand, a little smile playing on his lips.

 

“Come dance with me.”

 

She feels herself shaking her head. “I can’t dance.” The voice that replies isn’t Nari’s...it’s slightly huskier, a voice that’s used to yelling and filled with charisma.

 

The boy shakes his head. “Anyone can dance. Even clumsy girls like you.”

 

She springs up from her position on the ground and marches straight to the middle of the dance studio. “Excuse me. I am a black belt in karate. How dare you call me clumsy?”

 

He laughs. It’s a sound that’s even more satisfying than any music in the world. He slips his arms around her from behind, nuzzling his neck into her soft neck. “I’m sorry ma’am. Please don’t arrest me.”

 

And with that, he lifts her up off her feet and twirls her around in the air. Nari feels herself laughing, the hearty sound filling the room.

 

“Let me go or else I’m beating you up!” She screams, flailing her legs.

 

The boy gently puts her down, ruffling her curly hair. Curly hair? I have straight hair, thought Nari. She feels her face heating up as the boy slowly leans into her. Her heart speeds up as she feels his breath on her lips, just inches away from touching.

“I love you.” He whispers.

“I love you too,” she replies.

 

--

 

“YAH! LEE NARI! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!”

Nari’s eyes jerk open at the screeching voice. She blinks hard, clearing her blurry vision. She could swear she just had a dream...but as usual, she had already forgotten it. Groaning, she pushes herself off the ground, propping herself up on her elbows.

“What happened?” She weakly croaks out.

A tearful Eunji sniffles by her side, her face blotchy with tear streaks. “I-I don’t know. One second you’re fine, and then suddenly you’re on the ground. I thought you’re heart was malfunctioning again Nari, I was so scared.”

Eunji wailed and grabbed onto Nari, crying into her shirt. Nari patted her head, comforting the frightened girl. “Hey, I’m fine. It’s okay.”

Nari blushed as she realized the whole café was staring at her from their tables, some with their mouths hanging open. Eunji finally let go after relatively calming down.

Before things could get any more embarrassing, Nari stands up but sways when a rush of dizziness hits her. Nari looks up as a strong grip steadies her. It was that Hoseok boy from earlier.

 

“Well, it’s not the first time a girl fainted in our store. It happens quite often actually, so don’t be too embarrassed.” Hoseok winked at the girl who looked mortified.

 

Another boy, the one with the macaroons, Nari remembered, jogged up to Hoseok and slapped his hands away from Nari’s arms. “Get your dirty hands off her Hoseok. The poor girl just fainted. Give her some space!” The older boy scolded.

 

Nari flashed the boy a grateful glance. He hastily wiped his hands on his white apron and then stuck one out for a handshake. Nari reluctantly shook it, but his soft grip immediately comforted her.

 

“My name is Kim Seokjin. I’m so sorry you had to faint like that.” Seokjin shot Hoseok a death glare, who was mumbling about how it’s not his fault girls faint because of his looks. “ Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?”

“Uhm, actually. Can I talk to that boy? The one that was holding the croissants?” Nari needed to talk to him. She wanted an answer to why her heart acted so erratically every time he was around.

Seokjin raised an eyebrow. “Jungkook? Do you know him?”

Nari shook her head. “Uh, not exactly. I kind of do. Or I think I do.” She chewed on her lip nervously. “C-can I please speak to him? There’s something I have to find out.”

 

“Find out what?” Nari whirled around towards the voice. There Jungkook was, leaning against the display case in all his glory. He hooked his thumbs into his jean pockets and cocked his head to the right, signaling for Nari to talk.

 

Nari struggled to find her voice through her pounding heartbeat. “Have...have we met before?” Great question Nari. 10 points to Gryffindor!

 

Jungkook scoffed and pointed at his ribs. “Yeah we have. You elbowed me on the bus that one time, remember?”

 

A rush of blood rushed to Nari’s face, turning her beet red. So he remembered huh? “Yeah, sorry about that," Nari coughed before adding, "I meant before that time.”

 

Jungkook shrugged, and aura of carelessness radiating around him. “Nope. You almost breaking my ribs was our first meeting.” He sounded extremely grudgeful about it.

 

Nari let out an unsteady breath. Her heart was still beating to the point where it was almost painful, but she made sure it didn’t show on her face. She returned Jungkook’s intense glare with her own frightening stare.

 

“Hey girls. Your drinks are ready.” The orange-haired boy, Jimin (according to his nametag), broke the uncomfortable atmosphere by ing two drinks onto the counter.

 

Nari snatched the drink up, annoyed at Jungkook’s attitude. Eunji thanked Jimin and carefully took her own drink, slowly sipping the straw as she observed what Nari would do next. An annoyed Nari was not a very nice Nari.

 

Nari took a huge gulp of the drink, silently cursing as the hot liquid burned her tongue. In her annoyance, she completely forgot that she ordered a hot drink.

 

Quickly setting it down, she stuck out her tongue and fanned it, trying to soothe the pain. Jungkook watched the struggling girl with a bemused look.

 

Regaining her composure, Nari crossed her arms across her chest and walked up to Jungkook. “Look, I apologize for elbowing you, but honestly it wasn’t even that hard.” She flipped her long black hair past her shoulder.

 

With a crease forming in between her eyebrows, Nari jabbed a finger into her chest. “It bothers me like hell that my heart acts like this when it clearly shouldn’t anymore.”

 

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. “What does your heart act like?”

 

“This is the second time I’ve seen you, and for both times, my heart reacts as if it knows you. It’ll just speed up to this inhumane speed and I feel like literal death.” Nari fiddled with the hem of her shirt, shocked at her own confession.

 

“That sounds like your own problem. Don’t expect me to fix something wrong with your own heart.” A flicker of anger flashed across his dark eyes. "I don't know about you, and you don't know about me."

 

Nari’s mouth swung open. This kid wasn’t even trying to help her in the least. He was angry about the possibility of knowing her, for godsake. “You’re right. It is my problem.” She paused before adding, “It was stupid of me to ask an like you for an answer.”

 

Hoseok let out a whistle from behind. That girl just called Jeon Jungkook an . And everyone knew that that didn’t happen very often.

 

Jungkook’s jaw clenched tightly, the vein in his neck straining in tension. “What did you call me?”

 

Nari glowered at him. “An . A-S-S.” Grabbing Eunji’s arm, she started to retreat towards the door. “Now if you’ll excuse us, we’ll be going our way.”

 

Together, they sped out of the café at the speed of light, ignoring the customers shocked stares. Jungkook remained rooted in the same spot, fuming at what that girl just called him.

 

Hoseok laughed, pretending to wipe away fake tears. “Man, she’s ruthless. Calling the great and mighty Jungkook an .” Without thinking, Hoseok added, “I haven’t seen anyone call you an since Jaein-”

 

He quickly shut his mouth when he realized the name that left his mouth. He peered up at Jungkook, expecting him to break a glass or something.

 

But instead, Jungkook had a smug little grin on his face. Strangely, that girl had reminded him of Jaein. She was the polar opposite of Jaein, from her looks to her personality, yet something was there.

 

It scared him how much he had forgotten about Jaein, and to be reminded of her gave him a sense of comfort.

 

He would never forgive himself if he forgot about Jaein. She was his first and last girl in his life.

 

__________

 

A/N: Hey guys! I'm so sorry if any of this is confusing to you; but much more will be revealed later on. You'll find out more about Jaein, why Jungkook went to jail, and why Nari's acting so weird.

 

Please comment any questions and thoughts. I love reading them :)