eleven beats

Heartbeat

Jungkook zipped close the small bag with ease. His eyebrows furrowed in the center at how easily the bag closed. He hadn't been able to buy Jungha any clothes over the past year, and it still pained him to see that he'd been missing during the time where she needed him the most.

"Bye Ilwoo!" Jungha's bright voice broke Jungkook out of his trance. His little sister was waving at the frail boy that was lying on the hospital bed, his thin lips twitching into a small smile.

"Bye Jungha." He whispered, managing to raise his thin hands a few inches off the bed to wave goodbye.

Jungha was lucky. She had gotten a bone marrow transplant and after continuous treatment, she was allowed to leave. Ilwoo had yet to find such luck.

"I'll come visit, okay? I'll ask Jinnie oppa if I can borrow his nintendo and we can play Supermario!" Jungha grasped tightly onto the teddy bear that Jungkook had bought her a couple weeks ago, snuggling it towards her cheek.

Ilwoo weakly nodded, watching with sad eyes as Jungkook held onto Jungha's hand, leading her out the door. He hoped he would be alive to see Jungha again. She had made his stay in the hospital so much easier; her bright personality truly had the power to distract him from his pain.

"Oppa, what happened to your face?" Jungha peered up at Jungkook, observing his busted lip and bruises that were slowly fading to an ugly shade of yellow and green as they healed.

Jungkook racked his brain, thinking of an excuse. "Uh, well I was mopping the floor at the café and I accidently slipped and hit my head on the table." He cleared his throat, avoiding Jungha's eyes.

Jungha hummed quietly, not prying any further. Any normal little girl would nag on, demanding more details. But Jungha, who obviously didn't believe Jungkook's lie, respected his decision.

Together, they walked to the bus stop in silence, Jungha's small hand swinging back and forth in Jungkook's. He carefully helped her board the bus and sat her down on the one available seat while he stood, clutching the metal hoop with his hand.

"Kookie, let me sit on the seat!" Jaein glared at Jungkook who was leaned back onto the leather seat, smirking at his girlfriend's whining.

"No. You've got legs. You can stand."

"I'm your girlfriend Jeon Jungkook. What I say goes. Now get your off the seat and let me sit."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow, his lips forming into a devilish grin. "You want to sit? Fine, then sit." Before Jaein could protest, he pulled her down onto his lap, securing his arms around her waist.

She struggled, elbowing him in an attempt to loosen his grip. "What the hell? I didn't mean your damn lap." She seethed, but Jungkook ignored her, burying his head into her thick curls.

"Mhm."

"People are staring."

"I don't care."

Jaein sighed in defeat and Jungkook could imagine her rolling her eyes at his stubborn behavior. "I could definitely arrest you right now for kidnap. Or holding me hostage against my will."

Jungkook grinned, softly kissing the exposed skin on her neck. "I wouldn't mind getting arrested from you."

Jaein pretended to gag and swatted his face away from her neck. "Get your cheesy body off of me."

"Sorry Jae, but I'm not letting you go." He tightened his grip around her waist, inhaling the soft scent of chocolate that covered her hair. "Not now, not ever."

"Oppa it's our stop." Jungkook looked down to see Jungha tugging on the hem of his sweater.

"Oh, right. C'mon, let's go."

Jungkook could feel Jungha getting progressively more excited as they neared the apartment that the boys shared. She was getting all giggly, and her small cheeks were tinted pink.

"Why weren't you this excited when I came to see you?"

Jungha stuck out her tongue. "That's because you're my real oppa. These oppas can be my potential husband."

Jungkook snorted. He would most definitely not let any of his hyungs marry his baby sister. Over his dead body.

He just managed to graze the door handle with his fingers when the door was swung open, revealing a hyper Taehyung.

"JUNGHA!" He bent down and scooped a shy Jungha up into his arms, swinging her around in circles. "How's my favorite little girl?"

Chuckling, Jungkook walked down the hallway to his room. He used to share with Namjoon, but he courteously moved to Seokjin's room so Jungkook would be able to share with Jungha.

As he was folding Jungha's clothes on the bed, a small knock sounded from the door.

"Hey Jungkook." Hoseok stood by the door, playing with a snapback in his hands.

"Sup hyung." He hastily finished folding a t-shirt and turned to face his hyung. "What do you need?"

He could tell that Hoseok needed to say something, his mouth opening and closing repeatedly as he hesitated to get his words out.

"Hyung, it's fine, just tell me."

Hoseok his lips, clearing his throat. "Uhm, well you know that dance studio that I teach at?"

Jungkook gave a small nod. Of course he knew. Hoseok and Jimin hyung were amazing dancers and it was great that they pursued a career in it.

"They're...They're recruiting new dance instructors." He paused, observing to see if there was a change in Jungkook's face. There was none; not one flicker of emotion. He nervousily continued, "I was wondering if you were interested?"

Hoseok stepped back in surprise when Jungkook let out a dry laugh. "No, hyung. You're going to have to find someone else."

"A-are you sure?"

"Positive."

Hoseok lingered for a few more awkward seconds. "You can't give up everything Jungkook. It wasn't your fault."

Jungkook's jaw clenched as he took in Hoseok's words. It is my fault.

"She wouldn't want you to give up your passion." He paused, his usual bright smile replaced with a mellow frown. "You should know that."

"It isn't my passion anymore." I lost my passion when I lost her.

Hoseok sighed, retreating out of the room. "You shouldn't lie to yourself like that Jungkook."

Jungkook really did wish he would stop lying to himself. But the truth became hard to identify once he stopped trusting himself. He had lied to Jaein. He promised he would protect her; stay by her side.

But he didn't.

--------------------

A/N: The large chunk of italics is a flashback! Thank you for almost 50 subscribers! please comment and leave suggestions; i love reading them :)