nine beats

Heartbeat

She's dead.

The words resonated through Nari's head, replaying itself over and over again as she treaded up the stairs leading to her dorm. Half of her wanted to fling herself into a pit of lava for even asking about Jaein, but her other half felt uneasy.

Did Jaein have anything to do with how cold Jungkook was?

Nari opened the dorm door and was immediately greeted with the sight of Eunji sprawled across their small couch, a bag of hot Cheetos laying on her chest as she lazily flicked through the channels on their t.v.

"Hmph." Eunji grunted a hello through a mouthful of cheetos, glaring at Nari when she snagged some Cheetos off her chest. Nari plopped herself onto the ground, shoving the chips into and chewing vigorously, trying to get Jungkook off her mind.

"Why are you home so late?"

"Long story." Nari peeled her socks off and carelessly threw them to the side. She'll clean them up later. Maybe.

"Well you better spill. Did you get yourself a boyfriend?" Eunji lifted her head, cheeto dust off her fingers. "Does he have a cute friend that I can date?"

"No you idiot." Nari narrowly dodged Eunji who tried to smack her arm. "Don't touch me with your nasty cheeto fingers!"

Eunji snorted, laying her head back onto the couch. "Fine. But seriously though, why are you home so late?"

Nari sighed in defeat. "I was walking home from campus and I was passing that alley, the one by the shoe store. Do you know that one?"

Eunji shrugged, her eyes glued onto the t.v screen.

"Well I was passing that alley, and I usually speed-walk past it because it kind of creeps me out. But today, I just felt the need to slow down and look into it, you know?"

A grunt came from Eunji, signaling that she was still listening.

"He was there. Jungkook."

Eunji sprang up, the cheetos flinging off her body. "What?" Now you had her attention.

"But he wasn't in his best condition." Nari picked some cheetos off the ground and popped them in . "He was pretty beat up and he wasn't conscious. So being the good samaritan that I am, I called the ambulance and took him to the hospital."

Nari carefully left out the part where Jungkook cried for Jaein, and the fact that Jaein was dead. She didn't think it was her story to tell.

"What the hell Lee Nari? Who hit him? Did they catch them?"

"Nah. We don't know who beat him but apparently, he didn't even put up a fight. He just let it happen."

"He looked a lot tougher than he is. Maybe he's a softie who's never swung a fist in his life."

Nari knew otherwise. From what his friends were saying, he was fully capable of fighting. But he didn't, because perhaps he felt no purpose in living.

Eunji nudged Nari with her foot. "Why did you go to the hospital with him? You could have just called the ambulance and gone home."

"I-I could have, but the situation was weird and I couldn't just let him go alone, like would you want to wake up alone? I don't think so, I mean, I know I wouldn't want to-"

"Oh my god Nari, shut up. Why are you blubbering and blushing like that?"

True. Why was she get so worked up over a simple question? But like an electron drawn to a proton, she stuck by his side. He had looked utterly and painfully alone.

"Good news is, we get free coffee at the Bangtan Café now. And discounts on the pastries, courtesty of Seokjin."

Eunji sprang off the couch, jumping up and down while clapping her hands like a seal. "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" She squealed, dragging Nari up and forcing her to jump up and down with her. "This is an opportunity of a lifetime. Who gets free coffee? US! We do! Helping that sulky boy was so worth it."

Sure. Helping him was worth it. Squeezing his cold, callused hands in the ambulance as a small act of comfort was worth it. Anxiously pacing back and forth as the doctors patched him up was worth it. Sitting by his bedside, waiting for him to wake up as he dreamt of his past was worth it.

The compressed feeling in Nari's heart that only grew after the trip to the hospital was however, not worth it.

But she would take advantage of that free coffee Seokjin offered in gratitude. Maybe because she wanted free coffee.

Or maybe because she wanted to see him.