Eleven

Beckoning you

I didn’t burn things in the end. Rather, I stayed up, lying down in my bed, staring up at the clear white roof huddled under the blankets in the dark, straining to hear the conversations in the dark. It has been a few minutes since Sung Gyu and Bomi had their big row which I silently watched, and right after I had slipped upstairs, a car started up, its lights glimmering vigorously in the semi darkened garden and tarmac path and soon it was off. There was utter silence in the house afterwards, as though the entire place was swallowed by a massive dark being. I had a quick shower afterwards, got into my borrowed pajamas and lied down in bed. I tried to sleep but all that I ended up doing was tossing and turning and. At some point, pacing around the room. I could hear loud voices downstairs then, so I slipped out and looked down over the railing, my ears straining to catch a voice. What I ended up with was nothing, at which point I returned to the room, lied down and stared up at the roof.

We had inner conversations, my conscious and I. Together we tried to comprehend my currently raging emotions. It didn’t help much, given that the heap of incomprehensive emotions were muddling up all the sane senses of mind that I could hardly go without squirming in bed in annoyance, letting out my frustration in the form of strings of profanities. At this point I had come to a fair understanding of what I felt towards Kim Sung gyu, however. It was as if that one fact had been always in my conscious reach but I had deliberately ignored it because that was just the kind of a thing I would find myself doing. Kim Sung Gyu was ambitious, steadfast and had a firm grip on his determination. He was conscious of what he was doing, and he knew just how to do it right. Not to mention his steel headed persona despite his gentle words and soft warm hands. His brilliant smile spoke otherwise of his capabilities. Outside, he was kindest, gentlest, and the most motivated when he had to. More than his generous looks and perfect imperfections, I found myself getting attracted to all his rough, calloused edges. He had flaws but they made him all the more perfect for me. I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about him, as though he was a beautiful lurking ghost possessing the weakest point of my heart. And consequently I realized that every tiny detail about him had wounded up significantly around my heart in such a short span of time. For the first time in my life, I didn’t feel embarrassed or ashamed. I was accepting it, acknowledging it, and I had the strength to call it out to the entire world.

I had, unconditionally and undeniably, fallen in love with Kim Sung Gyu.

I rolled around on bed and suddenly sat up, the reality hitting me like a lightning bolt. Sung Gyu was a married man, whose heart was still on the edge after a possible break off. He was unavailable, emotionally. He was far away from my grasp.

This thought maddened me. It made me feel undeniably wronged. After all the right things he did for me, all the gentle words and warm touches, he was still not prepared to be in my grasp. He was still somebody else’s. I thought back to that time when he came down to complete the case. For me, the night of the storm was a significant up haul in the strange, ambiguous relationship we shared. In the beginning, I didn’t think it was anything. We were two people, abandoned by our respective life partners and naturally we found the comfort of one another. It all looked and sounded all cliché but perfectly natural and, perhaps, expected. But later that night when I laid in the dark the storm crashing outside, my head pressed onto his chest, his warm hands caressing my scalp and his breath, beneath me, slow and even, I heard his heart beat. Resonant, reverberating inside him, relentless and strong. I might even have been deluded, but there was no explanation other than that. Our heart beats were mutual. He felt towards me the same as I, towards him.

Nonetheless, tonight, he proved it to me that I was to be away from him as though we were the two opposite poles of a magnet. He didn’t acknowledge it, or he was deliberately avoiding it, or he still had hope. Whatever the case was, Sung gyu, for me was still beyond my grasp.

I was too much into my thoughts that it didn’t even strike to me that the conversations downstairs had ceased from echoing. The grandfather’s clock in the hallway struck twelve, the sound of it ringing throughout the empty confines of the house. Chorong unnie was probably asleep by then, since she usually went to bed before ten, but w I had a slightest hunch that Woohyun was still up. Blindly, my bare feet searched for my house slippers and when I could only find one of them, I left it there and walked off to the door. All the lights in the hall and the corridors were dimmed, thus I barely made my way downwards, careful not to trip in the process. When I reached the kitchen, however, I found the lights turned up and the door parted only a crack, and there was voices, soft but distinct coming from inside.

I stood still and in effect I leaned closer to catch a word or two which were being exchanged. It didn’t take me much effort to recognize the voices right away. It was as if both the tones, the textures of them were embedded inside me. However, it wasn’t an easy task to catch the words or their meanings, given that they were both speaking under their breath, as though they were afraid anybody would be out, listening.

I waited a few seconds patiently, in hopes I could hear something, but in the end, I gave up. In a way, I found no point in trying to grasp their words. Sung gyu had already revealed everything without even my consent and Woohyun probably was straining to ask me and overcome his suspicions. There was absolutely no way out of it. I was angry at Sung Gyu for doing that to me. It was my business, my problem to deal with. If he were still not over his unfaithful wife, why should he bother with an in-firm scandal rather than his personal life?

Then it hit me. Perhaps it was his way of overlooking the problems of his own by concerning himself with those of others. After all, every one of us would rather find comfort in looking into other people’s problems than dealing with our own.

In the end, I made up my mind to enter the kitchen and completely feign ignorance to the pair inside. Perhaps I would act surprised. Or I would be my usual, prideful self.

The moment I pushed open the door, all the voices were hushed and the place drowned in utter silence. Sung Gyu was sipping a mug of coffee while the steam of Woohyun’s mug was kissing his pale skin. I looked at them both, my eyes landing on their baffled faces simultaneously, and the silence among us continued for a moment until Woohyun cleared his throat. “Ah. I thought you went to sleep”

Instead of answering, I gave a sharp look towards my brother’s best-friend.

“Why is he still here?”

Woohyun took a quick look at the subject in question, and turned to mw. “Who? Sung Gyu?”

I rolled my eyes. “Who else?”

“He’s staying over tonight” Woohyun said. I shrugged at his response and padded across the cold marble ground towards the fridge. I could feel two pairs of eyes watching my bare feet, but they didn’t acknowledge them, as though they had chosen not to see them. I wrenched open the door of the fridge, the clatter of it was resonant in the silent room. I scanned the content inside, and with my eyes still focused inside, I said; “Why? Does he not have a house?”

I heard Woohyun sharply in taking his breath, so I made up my mind and reached for a chilled bottle of beer. “Eunji, That was-,”

I completely ignored him and stood up, looking into the fridge even more while in my right I grasped the cold neck of the bottle. I heard a chair being pushed back behind me, and Woohyun’s voice sounded closer when he spoke.

“No, Eunji, put it back, have some tea instead-,”

Interrupting him, I turned around and unscrewed the lid of the bottle and simply took a long swig straight from its mouth. Woohyun watched with irritation filled in his eyes, and once I was done, he simply shook his head in disappointment. “You never listen to me, do you?”

I smiled and reached for a second bottle of beer for good measure and closed the door of the fridge behind me. I could feel both of them watching me, though I couldn’t exactly read their expressions. But when I had reached the door, I turned around in hopes to scan both the pairs of eyes. But only Woohyun was watching me while Sung gyu thoroughly observed the content inside his mug. I merely sighed, because it was getting difficult to understand him, and gave Woohyun a bored look.

“I’ll be in my room”

“Will you be drinking?” He asked.

I snorted in response. “No. I’ll be drowning myself in chilled beer and self-loath”

“Eunji-,”

“Good night!” I said and pulled the door close on my way out.

 

*

Woohyun’s house didn’t have the typical roofs with downward slopes. Instead there were slope less roofs, which were not exactly roofs but roofs nevertheless which were flat and straight and required moss-cleaning every other week in the spring, summer and the autumn and shoveling-off of snow in the winter. There were narrow drainages on the edges to get rid of the remainders of the rains. All in all, they were rather pointless, serving as roofs but they were useful when one needed a break with a chilled bottle of beer, cigarettes and her mind.

It was rather difficult to climb off the bedroom balcony and land on the roof top without slipping and getting minor chin or leg injuries. I got neither, thankfully, but the two bottles of beer almost slipped off my grip onto the flat slab and it was with much difficulty that I detangled my foot at got it off the railing. In the end, I found myself seated on the slightly damp concrete, wind rushing through my hair and the cold kissing my cheeks, overlooking the autumn sky and streets far ahead. The ember of the cigarette in my hand was the only light around, which moved in the darkness like a cluster of golden fireflies. I could see the faint outline of the bottles placed by my folded feet, from one of which I took a sip at regular intervals. While so, I didn’t think of anything. I let my mind to freely wander about, allowed it to have its much required rest. And I simply waited, for what reason I didn’t know, but waited, basking in the gentle autumn breeze.

A few minutes later, I could hear Woohyun’s voice coming from the general direction of the bedroom, faintly calling my name. I ignored, pretended to not hear him and waited until he would begin panicking and frantically search for me throughout the house. I had nearly expected him to call the police and an entire SWAT team to locate my whereabouts and possibly search for my dead body, when his voice sounded from the balcony above me, being carried over the wind.

“Eunji? What the are you doing on the roof?”

“What do you think?” I responded and took a huff of smoke. He was silent for a moment, and I thought he was actually climbing over the railing to get me, but he wasn’t. Instead, he was still in the balcony, swearing under his breath.

“Jung Eunji, it was wrong what you said to Sung Gyu Hyung. Do you not realize that he’s only trying to help you?”

I stayed silent, blowing a cloud of grey air in the sky and took a deep breath. I did realize something, if Woohyun was really expecting me to do so. I realized that Sung gyu had deliberately left out the bit where his and my hearts collided that one night. I didn’t know what to feel about this; angered or relieved. All I could do was keep silent and listen to the rest of what Woohyun had to say.

“He had gone through all that trouble for you, although it’s not at all up for him to take. Have some gratitude towards him, Eunji, you know just how important he is for me!”

I pursed my lips, the ember of the cigarette was hovering above the now-healed wounds from the night before. I traced their marks with my eyes and finally raised my head. “Nobody asked him to do that. It was none of his business, anyway” I said in the end, in hopes Woohyun would get the message through the tone of my voice.

But he didn’t.

“Of course nobody did!” Woohyun retorted a little harshly. “But Sung Gyu Hyung is like that, and he was paying his gratitude to you, for helping him through with his…failing marriage. It’s your responsibility to accept it graciously-”

“Did he tell you everything?” I interjected, looking down at the ember.

“Yes, he did” Woohyun replied.

I didn’t say anything, because I knew he had consciously left out the bit which mattered to me the most. I found it understandable, because, though I saw the significance of it, the little moments we shared were nothing to him. I was only a onetime thing to him. I was only the comfort he soughed after when he couldn’t have his wife in his arms.

This thought made me scoff loudly, and I pressed the cigarette onto the concrete. There was silence, and in a feeble voice, Woohyun asked. “Jung Eunji, are you laughing? Are you finding everything funny?”

“Pretty much” I muttered to myself, rolled my eyes and asked in a louder tone. “Nam Woohyun, are you scolding me?”

“Scolding is just what you deserve, but we all know that there’s no point in it, don’t we?”

I stayed silent, my finger circling the mouth of the opened bottle of beer. Woohyun, somehow, interpreted the silence as his cue to carry on, so he said. “You’re stubborn, and so ing difficult. Is there a point in trying to make the things you do wrong, right? In fact, Eunji, although I am your brother, I had found it difficult to put up with you and your erratic ways numerous times. You just should be thankful that someone is getting out of his way to serve justice for someone like yourself who wouldn’t even appreciate his effort. Treat him with respect, Eunji, that’s the last thing I’m asking from you”

After he was done, Woohyun took a series of deep breaths. He was still above me, I was still down below on the roof-not-roof, my knees tucked under my chin, eyes looking over the lawn across the street. In my mind I was having inner debates of all sorts, conflicts that had conspired for a long time since I had landed myself here. I could hear Woohyun mumbling something, but I couldn’t grasp. Then I felt that he was leaving, thus I figured I must act quicker. I turned my head towards his direction and saw him turning to leave. So I mustered out my courage and asked; “Are you sure that’s all he said?”

Woohyun stopped, and turned back to face me. “What?”

“Sung Gyu” I said, and gulped down the knot stuck in my throat. “Is that all Sung Gyu said to you?”

Woohyun looked perplexed. He raised his brows and said. “Why? Should there be more?”

I didn’t respond instantly; instead, I stole for time. I tugged at my sleeves, I held my face out to the cold breeze and allowed my hair to sway along. There was silence, and I was certain Woohyun was impatiently waiting for me to speak. Finally, when I felt slightly better, when I felt I was ready, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and said. “I slept with him, I slept with Kim Sung gyu”

The silence continued, so much so that I thought Woohyun had left, barged off to find Sung gyu and punch him square on his face, but when I turned around to glance at him, he was struggling down the railing. In a whim, he was already crawling his way towards me. Then he sat down beside me. I looked up, unable to face my brother, and I watched the stars.

“What?” Woohyun said in the end.

“We had ” I said, being as straightforward as I could. “Last weekend. In my office. On the day of the storm…” I trailed off and closed my eyes when the wind blew across the rooftop. “Did he not tell you that?”

Woohyun seemed a little appalled, shocked and rendered speechless. I suppose he never, in his life, had thought his only sister would go out and sleep with his married best friend. I gave him a moment, letting him to get his head around things and let it all sink in. While so, I had a swig from the cold beer. Him, unexpectedly then, snatched the bottle from my hand and gulped it down in a rush as though he hadn’t the entire day for it.

“…No…” Woohyun replied in the end. “He didn’t…”

I stayed silent, tugging at my sleeve again. All of a sudden, as the wind blew, carrying the scent of the damp grass underneath and as the warmth of my brother’s presence overwhelmed me, I began to get irrationally emotional. There was a tight knot forming in my throat, and realization slowly began to sink in. Of course, Sung Gyu wouldn’t have told him that, because he wanted to save his marriage, and letting anyone know that he had actually slept with the person whom he hired to follow his wife around, definitely wouldn’t be of much help. I thought of Sung Gyu, sitting quietly in the kitchen, his head lowered, eyes not meeting mine. I would have been fine with it if he had actually saved his marriage, then I’d accept it and move along. But he had failed, we both had. And he was simply walking away from it, from everything, and it was killing me.

“Then…it was a onetime thing, I suppose” I said in a feeble voice, and trailed away, feeling overwhelmed with emotions. Woohyun’s hand reached over to mine then, in an unexpected matter. When his eyes met mine, warm, kind and concerned, I knew it. I knew I had to let him know. Before I could stop myself, then. I was pouring it all out to the one person I trusted the most from this entire world. It was as if, if I didn’t, I would explode with emotions.

“But we did, Woohyun…it was this beautiful, remarkable thing! We talked, we laughed, we…did so much together in so little time…and…he said all the right things, he came to me in all the perfect ways…I should be absolutely crazy if I did not feel something, because he was making me feel all the many things which I hadn’t…ever in my life…” I clenched my fists and took a deep breath. “And I couldn’t stop myself, Woohyun. I can’t stop myself now. It’s like…it’s never happened to me before, and in turn I feel I could die!”

I didn’t even realize it that there were tears falling down my cheeks. It was a first. I was actually crying over a man in front of my brother for the first time in my life. What was even odder was that I wasn’t even stopping myself.

I was hurt, and everything seemed so uncertain and cruelly done for me. I needed this.

“Ssh now, Eunji…look, now, do you mind if I talk to him about it?” Woohyun asked me in a soft, concerned voice, and I immediately shook my head.

“No don’t….It-It’s probably just a onetime thing. He’s a married man and I…It was I who…” I sobbed loudly, and Woohyun held my hand in both of his. I was certain he could feel my pulse, and the roughness of the bruises on my wrist. I saw him just watching me, and the warmth of his gaze was what which made the words to slip so easily out of my lips. “I have fallen in love with him, Woohyun” I sobbed and bit my lip. “It’s stupid, but I think I have fallen in love with him”

Woohyun squeezed my hand gently, and his eyes, holding a strange glimmer now, looked up to meet mine. “It’s…it’s not…stupid, Eunji…it’s beautiful…” he muttered in a comforting manner, and I slowly retrieved my hands so that I could fold my knees up to my chest and wrap them around them. Afterwards I buried my face onto my folded hands and sobbed into them like a teenaged girl over a boy. Woohyun patted on my back, but I could feel that he wasn’t entirely comfortable with it, because it was his first time actually trying to soothe me. It felt odd on my part too, that I wiped my face on my loose T-shirt and had a sip of beer. After a moment Woohyun said, his eyes focused straight ahead. “Why don’t you tell me everything, Eunji? All of which Hyung did tell me and didn’t tell me. Let’s hear it all from your part”

I gave in and responded with a nod. Then I remained silent for a moment, trying to think back to day one, trying to gather my thoughts, and with a deep breath, I started on. “Well, it isn’t much but…”

And then I was telling him everything, everything all from the very beginning. From Howon, to how I was irritated by his concern that I went ahead and impulsively asked Howon to marry me, how I learned he was cheating and how we ended things. Then I told him about encountering Sung gyu, for the first time when Woohyun sent him to me (To which he replied, saying that he was his last resort) and then to our second meeting, how we had our secretive investigations planned, how I met and drank with Sung Gyu, how he and I interacted so naturally. Then I told him about following Bomi and doing my part as a private investigator, and then how I found out about Bomi and Howon at Woohyun’s wedding but kept it all a secret, how it made me feel overwhelmed that I decided to call off the wedding once and for all. Then I told him of the series of odd encounters Sung gyu and I had that night on, to the night of the storm where we found happiness and comfort in each other’s arms, and the beating of his heart underneath. And then when I came down to the part where he apologized and left, I was chocking slightly, overwhelmed by emotions. Woohyun held my hand and urged me to go on, which I did, all the way to the point where I was told of the scam and how I burnt myself with a cigarette upon seeing the note he left for me the night of the storm, until up to where we sat now. Then there was a long pause, during which I buried my face in my arms again, and my sobs ceased into silence. I waited, patiently until Woohyun would give me some kind of response, but it seemed like he was trying to take it all in. He took a few swigs of beer and had his eyes closed for a moment. Then he fluttered them open and scooted towards me before running his arms around me and pulling my head against his shoulder.

We remained this way for a while; my hands limply fallen on my sides and Woohyun holding me against his chest, He moved back and forth gently, as though he was comforting a child. I felt his warmth, the beating of his heart, and subconsciously I eased into his affection, finally acknowledging it that he was, indeed my brother. The brother who loved me in my good times, and my bads.

“You know, Eunji” He said in to my hair then and pulled away with his hands resting on my shoulders and eyes bearing into mine.

“Sometimes…answers don’t come instantly. I cannot answer you outright about it right now, whether it is how you feel it is, or whether it is otherwise. I know that you’re stuck in a pile of problems now that you are emotionally strained and wrecked, but it isn’t anything that you or I can solve instantaneously. Things change, Eunji. Those things will take time, and effort and one day everything will be turned out for the best. And on that day, you wouldn’t even remember that tonight ever happened, okay?”

I nodded, without saying a word in response, and with a smile, Woohyun pulled away. He sat back, had a swig of beer and then looked up into the sky while muttering under his breath. “I’m sure, I’m sure…Sung Gyu did mean something…he will come around soon”

*

“You know…” Woohyun was saying, one bottle of chilled beer later. “I do realize it, that I’m a little too possessive over you…”

I stayed silent, merely nodding because I had no strength to speak after all the confessions, and this urged Woohyun to continue.

“But I guess it comes just naturally. You’re the only one person I have, as family. I know, Chorong is there, grandmother is there, but you’re the person who had always been closest to me as family” He was staring up at the sky while he spoke, which was deep blue but clear, with a hint of orange on the horizon from the direction of the city. He tilted his head to a side and smiled as though he had just recalled a fond memory. “I was only two when they have had you, so of course I don’t remember . But I do remember certain bits of our toddler days…” He chuckled softly and looked at me for a second. “Did you know that you had a great obsession with crayons? I was five or something, and you were three. You used to eat my crayons…all the time. Then mother had to put it all away…I was upset for days but how could I complain? You were my baby sister…”

I smiled at his words, feeling that warmth spread through me all over again but kept silent, willing him to continue, to tell me tales which I had never heard before.

“And when you were eight, I was ten, we had this neighbor kid, remember? The one who thought he was from mars or something? Remember we used to spy on him?” his eyes were focused on me, so, though I didn’t remember much, I merely nodded my head.  “And one day, you and I hopped off the wall and sneaked into his house on an evening to make sure he hadn’t gone off to mars so soon…then his mother found us and you outright blurted it out; ‘He went to planet mars already?’, then we both had to have a disciplinary hearing about sneaking into neighbors’ houses and assuming kids being Martians” Woohyun laughed at his own memory and let out a deep sigh. He leaned backwards a bit, his weight resting on his extended arms and allowed the wind to rush over him. After a moment, he started again.

“I didn’t think father would leave us so soon…he was cool and he was fun. He loved us both a lot. I still don’t know what happened back then. It’s a shame that the fourteen year old me couldn’t even understand him…” He looked down at his hand and pursed his lips. “I guess mother and father didn’t just understand each other…they were always on the opposite poles. Mother was more of a spirit animal, she was a free soul, and father…he was a little too dependent…maybe that’s why they drifted apart. I guess they just didn’t click”

I nodded and thought back to my parents. It’s been ages since I’ve last seen them. I met my father two years ago when visiting grandmother in Jeonju, and he seemed so happy and pleased to see me, but only I outright rejected him and pretended he didn’t exist. Woohyun and I didn’t talk about it ever since up till now. And the matter of the fact is, I didn’t even feel guilty about it. As for my mother, it was as if she had vanished from the face of the earth. Woohyun had contacts with her, somehow. I hadn’t really bothered to ask him of her whereabouts. I believed that it was for the best that they and I lived our separate lives.

After a moment of silence, Woohyun continued. “After mother left and we moved in with grandmother, someone from the orphanage I had apparently been in contacted me. I couldn’t recall that person, of course. I had been only a year or so old when I was adopted. Nonetheless, the person claimed that legally, if my foster parents would leave me, and if I were still a minor, the orphanage would take legal action and take over the custody of me. I still had the ability to seek for care from the orphanage. They promised to support my education and they offered me a place to live. Everything was good and well, but only, I didn’t want to go.” He heaved a sigh and sat up straight again. From a far, an owl began to howl relentlessly. “I told them that I had a sister to take care of. Although you were not my biological sister, ever since our parents began to give you less care, I realized that the real purpose I was there was to protect you, to take your responsibility. You were my family, my only strength and only hope. You wouldn’t be able to survive without me, neither could I, knowing that I had left you in the dark. So, despite my young age, I pleaded and begged and managed to bend their rules for you…” He smiled and his sparkling eyes raised to meet mine. “That day, when I won over all the grown-ups, I made a promise to myself. To never leave your side and to protect you with all I had. And that’s what I’m doing, still Eunji. I just can’t stand it, to let you get hurt. Although you might dislike it, it’s the one thing that I want to be doing all my life”

He ended it at that note, and heaved a long breath. We were both silent for a long time then, watching the golden light on the edge of the horizon, coming from the still brightened city. The wind was balmy and cold, and the ground was still slightly damp beneath us. The bottles of beer were completely forgotten, and in this tranquility, we allowed our thoughts to unravel and basked ourselves within them.

I pondered long and hard, I thought of his words and meanings, the subtle sense I could grasp from the weight of each of them; they were all glazed with love. I had to take a moment to compose myself then, because I had never done this before in my life, not since I grew up, not since I stopped being a child. It felt all too new to me, almost surreal, but it was the right thing to do.

“Thank you…” I muttered, and in reflex, Woohyun froze to the spot. “And I’m sorry…” I continued staring down at my hand. “You…you have done so much for me…Y-you still do…and I’m forever thankful” I trailed off, and with my head still lowered, feeling my cheeks burn and my pride aching, I added, “And I’m sorry for lying to you, for being mean to, for saying cruel things all the time…”

Woohyun remained frozen to his posture for a moment, and slowly he turned to face me. He stared at me for a moment, and for my utter surprise, he exclaimed. “Eunji, did you just apologize? And thank me?”

“I guess?” I replied, feebly, and when I looked up, Woohyun was watching me with horror.

“God, I’m so used to you being a to me all the time, now I can’t stand it…it’s so odd! Please don’t do that again.”

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “Oh shut up!”

Woohyun laughed in response and widely opened his arms. “Come on now, while you are at it, give Oppa a hug”

I snorted, ignoring him at first. “No way!”

“Aw, come on!” He pestered, flailing his hands about. “Only this once, because you won’t ever do that again”

I just smiled and realized that he was absolutely right. So while I was in the mood for it, which I will never be in again, I scooted closer and placed my face against his shoulder, my hands wrapping around his waist. My brother followed the same gesture, and one hand ran on the back of my head, tangling in my slightly damp hair. He smelled of coffee and detergent, slightly of beer and it was the scent of affection, of brotherhood, of Woohyun. It was of just the right amount of everything, and it was nice. I hummed softly and closed my eyes, burying myself into him, and he gently patted on my back.

“And you know?” He muttered, his warm breath slipping into my hair. “You don’t have to change, you’re perfect as you are. I don’t care if you lie to me, be a prick to me, or do cruel things to me because that’s what make you, you, Eunji. You don’t have to tell me every single detail of what happens in your life, I don’t expect you to. But please, if anything bad happens and if you ever feel that you’re on the edge, remember, your Oppa is always there to catch you before you fall okay?”

I smiled and nodded into his chest. “Okay”

“Okay…”