Proposal

No match

Chanyeol

The next morning I awoke not to my alarm clock but to three bustling people bursting in to my room, ushering me to wake up. It was only eight am I noticed as I lazily opened up my eyes. The press conference wasn’t until one o’clock so I couldn’t for the life of me understand why my father had insisted on them getting me ready at eight.

”Good morning!” One of them chirped ”we have loads to do today, so your dad hired us to help you get ready.” I sighed, sitting up.

”Can’t this wait until ten or something?” I said, yawning.

”At ten you are to be at the press conference hall, rehearsing with your father and his representatives.”

”Then, nine.” I said, yawning. I was about to go back to my pillow when they chirped up again.

”At nine, you are supposed to be finished with styling so that you can be taken to breakfast where your new tailored suit will await you.”

I sighed, not really knowing what they’d need an hour for. But knowing my dad, he’d want me in makeup, preferably freshly cut and colored hair, fingernails pristine and all those other minor beauty fixes that were so popular for actors and artists. I personally didn’t care, but knew how long such things could take. So I sighed, sitting up and trying my best to be as kind to these poor stylists, I smiled and said ”let’s get this started, then.”


Baekhyun

My mother had ushered me in to my best suit for the press conference. I had gotten a good nights sleep but as soon as I awoke, I felt like my legs couldn’t carry me anymore. I was so incredibly nervous, and not only because this was the day when I got publicly proposed to, but also just to see Chanyeol again. Yesterday had been so utterly out of what I had been expecting. We had not only kissed but made the whole ordeal in to some kind of mini-love-declaration. Just thinking back to how we’d acted I felt ashamed. I was happy none of my friends had seen us because they would’ve bunched me in with Jongdae.

I couldn’t help myself from remembering Chanyeol’s lips as I put the glass of juice to my lips earlier that day. It made me blush just thinking about those kisses.

I jostled back to reality as I felt my car pull up to the press conference hall. It was twelve o’clock and already, there seemed to be reporters outside, waiting to be let in to the hall. We took the back entrance where some of Chanyeol’s dad’s people stood and waited for us. They let me and my body guard in and led us to one of the dressing rooms.

Chanyeol had texted me earlier and told me that he’d been rehearsing all morning and that fortunatelly, all I had to do was nod along, and then look surprised and happy as he proposed, and that - according to Chanyeol’s dad - didn’t need any rehearsing.

Still, I was there an hour before it all started and I felt calmer as I was at the venue. I knew that at least I wouldn’t be late and even though that hadn’t even been one of my worries earlier in the morning when I’d thought of what was to come, it still started to grew on me as we neared the time for departure.

”They are still in practice.” One of Chanyeol’s dad’s people said as we made ourself comfortable in one of the plush chairs. ”But they will be told of your arrival, and will be with you shortly.” I nodded and the man along with my body guard left the room, my body guard being placed right outside the door.

As soon as the door shut, though, I suddenly felt incredibly nervous. Being alone was the worst thing one could be when you knew you were going to do something nerve-wrecking. The loneliness left the mind to imagine things up, building scenarios that could drive you insane. I decided quickly that I needed to find something to do and instantly picked up the TV-controller. Thinking I could at least pass the time with that while I waited.

Chanyeol

I felt completely deprived of energy when we were finally done with rehearsing what would go down. It was fifty minutes until ’showtime’ as my dad called in and all I wanted to do was fall asleep. But once I heard that my father were getting informed by one of the security guards he’d hired that Baekhyun had arrived a couple of minutes ago, that tiredness completely disappeared. Instead, I felt alert and like I had a purpose. I needed to find him, hear how he was, and - since my dad had told me seventy times - fill him in on what we were to do once on stage.

”Did you hear that, Chanyeol?” My father called to which I nodded, all the while already on my way out back. ”See you at fifteen minutes to showtime!” He called after me. I ignored him this time and instead hurried to the dressing room which I knew were Baekhyun’s. They had told me this about ten times during the morning, telling me about twenty which one was mine. My dad’s team took after him with that annoying pattern of repeating something until it was impossible to ever forget it.

As I reached the dressing room of Bakehyun, I suddenly got nervous. Outside stood a body guard to which I waved to.

”Hello.” I said ”I’m Chanyeol, could I get in and talk to Baekhyun?” The bodyguard nodded and knocked on the door for me.

”Chanyeol’s here.” He said to which the door opened from the inside and Baekhyun smiled at me.

”Thank God.” He said, ushering me to step inside. I did and he closed the door behind us. ”I’ve been going crazy in here all by myself. Is everything alright for the press conference?”

”Yes.” I said, smiling. You don’t need to do anything except sit there and smile, answer a few questions if the journalists ask you anything. But they probably won’t, and even if they do you won’t have to be on your own in answering. Just look to me and I’ll help out.”

Baekhyun nodded then asked ”And when are you to propose?” I felt a tingle go through my body at that. He looked so pure and innocent when he said it, as if it was him asking when I were going to leave for work. It was as if it wasn’t this major event, which made me feel a bit more relaxed. I already had so much pressure from my dad on making a nice speech when proposing, them even having written me one, when all I wanted was to just make it simple. I didn’t want to tell Baekhyun lies when I proposed, not some manuscript that someone who didn’t know us had written. I hadn’t told my dad this, but I would propose the way I wanted to.

”Towards the end. There’ll be a host there who will guide the main questions, with the reporters putting in some minor questions on the subject. The host will end the press conference with asking you and me about what the future holds for us, and that’s my cue to propose."

Baekhyun nodded, and looked a bit thoughtful.

”What?” I asked, getting a little worried. It was strange how every minor thing Baekhyun did made me change my own mood. If he looked worried, I got worried, if he looked relaxed, I was a relaxed and so on so forth.

”Oh, nothing!” Baekhyun assured me ”I was just trying to visualize it.” I laughed a little at that to which Baekhyun smiled.

”That reminds me,” I said, thinking about how the rehearsed proposal had gone the day before ”Umh, well…” I started ”I just wanted to start off my telling you how much I enjoyed yesterday.” I scratched the back of my head and I could see how Baekhyun blushed a bit. ”I hope you were okay with all that kissing, too.”

”Of course!” Baekhyun hurriedly said, embarrassed ”Don’t think for a second that it was something that I didn’t want. I, well, I really enjoyed it…” he trailed off, looking to the side as to not look in to my eyes.

”Me too!” I said, taking hold of his shoulders. Baekhyun looked to me at that. ”And I wanted to ask you if you wanted to have that kind of relationship with me? I know that you’ve promised to marry me and all that, but would you want to date me, up until that moment?”

Baekhyun looked a bit shocked then his face melted in to a smile, a small laugh escaping him ”Of course.” He said ”I thought yesterday had been enough for you to understand that I would love to.”

”Oh?” I said, smiling. ”Then… great! I, uh…” I felt myself stammer out, then cleared my throat ”Then, can I kiss you again?”

Baekhyun blushed but nodded. So I gently did, and it felt like I was melting where he and I met. I felt so tender, so fragile.

And of course, that’s when my dad’s people started knowing on the door.

”You guys ready?” They called and we separated, both looking to the door.

”Yeah!” We called, both at the same time.


Baekhyun

I stood behind a wall, right outside the stage, waiting for the host to present me. Chanyeol’s dad had just gotten up on stage, the photographers’ cameras making it seem like there were a sea of insects clicking out there. It sounded kind of scary. My nerves were killing me. I hated all of this public stuff, I just wanted to get on stage and for this to be wrapped up.

”And now, let me present Mr. Park Chanyeol along with his matched Mr. Byun Baekhyun.” The host said and Chanyeol touched my arms gently before stepping on to the stage. I followed shortly after and felt myself squint my eyes as we got attacked with lights from both the spotlights as well as the cameras. I didn’t dare look out on the crowd, not wanting to know how many was here before sitting down where my legs couldn’t wobble in to nothing.

Chanyeol reached his chair and I almost stumbled as I hurried to mine right next to his. That’s when I looked out over the crowd and was shocked by the mere number of them. I had known there’d be many, but the hall was so crowded, it was hard to even get a real estimate of how many they were. I had thought there’d been a lot as we’d arrived at Seoul but now, that diminished. I couldn’t even see much of the back of the hall, but I could count at least Five rows which I could see, all of which were over filled, people standing on the sides of the rows with cameras filming.

”Let’s start this off!” The host said ”Welcome all to this press conference. We’re so happy that so many of you have arrived. We’d like to start this conference by talking about the most pressing issues, which is the rumors of Mr. Park senior not accepting the matching of his son with Mr. Byun. Mr. Park?”

”Yes.” Chanyeol’s dad said ”I know there’s been much of a confusion about all of this, where I’ve stood on the matter. I want to start by telling you that I completely accept this match” He gestured to us.

”Then how come you’ve so strongly said otherwise?” One of the reporters called in.

”In the beginning, I’ll have to admit it was quite of a shock for me.” He continued ”I had never imagined such a match for my son and had a hard time realizing that this was his reality. I spoke out of fear, not wanting my son or his mate to be ridiculed, so I tried to make it be revoked for their sakes. Trying my hardest to put up a tough front to get the hit if they’d be met with any hatred. Better people hate me than my son.” Chanyeol’s dad looked so honest when he spoke it was hard for me to not believe him. ”But when it came to light that not only Chanyeol and Beakhyun wanted this kind of union, but the public loved it too, I realized my error. I didn’t need to protect them, I needed to support them from behind the line, cheer them on like I’ve always done with my Chanyeol.” He smiled and touched his son’s hair. I knew Chanyeol had heard this before during rehearsal but he seemed a bit taken aback. I didn’t know if it was because of him acting or if his dad had gone off manuscript and surprised him.

”So how are your relationship now?” Another reporter asked.

”Wonderful.” Mr. Park said ”I feel like we’ve gotten closer thanks to this.” Chanyeol smiled and nodded.

”It feels great to have my dad in my corner, cheering me on.” Chanyeol filled in, which made some of the reporters aw.

”If there isn’t any more questions about Mr. Park’s stance on the match, then we shall move on!” The host said, turning to me and Chanyeol. ”Let’s address your matching ceremony. How did you feel when the wall got taken away and you two were looking at each other?”

”I was shocked!” Chanyeol admitted, laughing. I smiled, nodding along ”At first we both thought there’d been some kind of mistake. But when we realized there wasn’t any errors and when we saw our files, it slowly sank in.”

”Baekhyun, we’ve heard that your file said you were homoual, is that something you hadn't known previously?” A reporter asked to which I shook my head. Then I realized that I should fill out my answer a bit more.

”No, I had dated girls before but hadn’t really reflected that it never felt like people described love would feel like. I just thought that maybe I wasn’t the kind of guy who had strong feelings. But…” I looked to Chanyeol ”But when my match to Chanyeol started to get accepted in my brain, I started to notice all those telltale clues that told you that you were in love."

Chanyeol looked startled at that, but smiled at me. A genuine smile that warmed my chest. I felt my heart pound, poring out the truth like this. Chanyeol grabbed my hand and squeezed it. The world fell away for a second and it felt like we were the only people in the universe. Then, the reporters started up again.

”And you Chanyeol, had you’ve been in any romantic relationships with guys before?” One asked.

”No.” Chanyeol said, still looking at me ”But I’m kind of happy that I hadn’t.” He turned out to the audience ”This way, we both get to experience our firsts together."

After that, the questions continued and Chanyeol and his dad answered most of them. They asked about how the rest of the family was taking the news. How mine and Chanyeol’s bonding had gone. Chanyeol told some funny anecdotes that made me and the reporters laugh. But then he turned serious.

”The only thing about our bonding that was awful was that we never really got the time to bond like we’d wanted. I would like to ask all of you and all of you colleagues to not disturb the bonding. It’s been hard on me, but especially Baekhyun who isn’t used to the press. It’s tough enough getting to know your soul mate, but with cameras and spies in our midst, it’s been awful.”

”And I’m sure the media will take note of that.” Our host finished up ”I sure will.” The reporters nodded along, some writing it down.

”Then let’s talk about the future!” The host said ”What are your plans, any dreams or wishes?”

”Well,” Chanyeol said, smiling. ”I actually have one dream, but it’s something that I can’t decide on my own.” He turned to me, took my hand again and stood us both up.

”I know this might be sudden.” Chanyeol said ”And I know we haven’t had much time to be together yet. I know there’s a lot of things you don’t know about me, and I don’t know about you. But I also know that you and I are meant to be together, and I don’t want another second of my life to be spent with out you, Baekhyun.” He quieted then, a murmur spreading throughout the crowd. Then, he fell down on one knee.

I knew we had practiced this before, but I still felt a rush of surprised. I felt my face fall open as I looked in to Chanyeol’s smiling face.

”So I wanted to ask you, Byun Baekhyun, if you would do me the honor and marry me?” The crowd burst in to sound, but then they all realized that they had to be quiet to hear my answer. I couldn’t get a word out at first, my chest blossoming in to warmth. I felt as if, once again, we were the only people here. I knew that this had been planned, but it still felt so real. And it was, in a way, I knew Chanyeol wouldn’t do this if he didn’t love me, and I wouldn’t if I didn’t love him. Love. Oh what a strange word.

”Yes!” I exclaimed, the crowd once again bursting out in to happy shouts, applause. Chanyeol stood up and right there, kissed me. I was shocked at first but then kissed him back. It felt like this wasn’t for the cameras. This was just for him and me.

It was only one kiss, but the crowd seemed to love it. We turned to them, smiling.

”Well,” The host said ”Let me be the first to congratulate you! What a wonderful surprise! And with that, we will wrap this conference up.”

Chanyeol

When we stepped off stage, I was so extremely happy. I felt like I was walking on clouds and I hugged Baekhyun, telling him how wonderful he’d been. Then, his body guard came, whispering in to his ear and ushering him away.

”My mom and dad has been calling.” He told me. ”Guess I need to talk to them since they watched the conference live.”

”Yeah, go talk to them!” I said, smiling from ear to ear. Once Baekhyun left, my dad grabbed my shoulder.

”Great acting.” He said, smiling. ”I bought it.”

”What?” I said, a bit shocked ”This isn’t acting dad, not for us. This was real emotion you saw up there, unlike you and your answers.” The way my dad had talked may have fooled the whole nation, but not me. I knew that deep down, all he cared about was himself and his image and with this press conference, I was officially done. All I needed to do now was to marry Baekhyun, and then I didn’t need to keep sticking up for him.

”Oh come on.” My dad said ”You know I support you!”

”Really?" I said ”Well, this was the first time you’ve told me that.”

”Chanyeol-”

”No.” I said ”After the wedding is over, I don’t want to be in debt to you anymore. My whole life you’ve made me feel like I owe you. After this, you will owe me and Baekhyun the privacy we need. You will be in debt to us all of your life. Do you understand that?”

My dad was quiet a while before nodding, for the first time in his life not having a smart retort. ”I understand.” He said and with that, I left him to himself.

I found Baekhun in his dressing room, just hanging up the phone.

”Well,” He said ”They’re over the moon.” He smiled and I smiled, too. ”And of course, they want to meet you right away.”

”How about I come over tomorrow?” I smiled, letting my own father and his problems fall away behind me. The prospect of meeting Baekhyun’s parents sounded wonderful, and made me tingle all over. I wanted them to like me so bad.

”They’d love that!” He exclaimed and I raised a brow ”Oh, and I’d love it, too.” He filled in, blushing.

”I'm just teasing.” I said, smiling and giving his head a light kiss. ”I’m so proud of you, for doing so well today, and I feel so thankful that you were up for this crazy idea of my father’s.”

”I’m kind of thankful for it.” Baekhyun said. And with that, I kissed him one more time.

”I’m not thankful for a lot when it comes to my father, but for this, I am too.”









A/N
Hello! So here's my first chapter back after two years! WOHO! Sorry if it feels like it doesn't belong with the other's in the tone of the story, I really tried my best to get back in to my two years younger self! And also sorry if there are any spelling misses since I haven't proof read this, hahaha! I just wanted to get it out as soon as I finished so it would't lay on my computer waiting for me to edit it. I might edit it soon (as in changing gramatical faults and such) or I might not, either way, I hope you could enjoy it! If you just read this whole story in one go and noticed that there were some facts that's been gone over in previous chapters that changed in this chapter, do tell me in the comments! I haven't memorized everything I've written in this story and didn't want to re-read the whole story three or four times before starting to write just so I could get everything right! (Lazy of me, I don't know, but I just wanted to start writing since it seemed like there were more than I thought of you out there who wanted to hear how this story ends!) I'm going to try to finish this story up before starting school in August so wish me luck!


Byeeeee~