The Last Time

You ― A collection of drabbles and one-shots

Characters: EXO's Kai x OC
Genre: Angst
A sequel from Longing.


A warm blanket and a glass of tea were enough for Rebecca to keep herself warm. A pile of books accompanied her through the evening, although her heart was still empty. She missed Jongin, that was for sure, and she did not know how to compensate the feelings. That particular person kept circulating around her mind ever since she chose to leave him, although she knew it well it punctured each other's heart, but she had no choice. She had lost her trust to Jongin, nor would it remain whole again.

Her buzzing phone awoke her from her reverie. The code was from the country she just left months ago, and she did not dare to put her hopes high. With her shaky hands, she answered the call.

"Hello?"

Silence. She could only hear ragged breathing from the other side, and it made her curious.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"R-Rebecca?"

That was when her heart skipped a beat. It was the voice she knew the most, the voice that calmed her whenever her anxiety attacked her. The voice that she missed every now and then, the voice that successfully stirred her insides.

"J-Jongin? Is... Is this you?"

"This is me, Rebecca. How are you?" His voice was lower than usual, barely above a whisper, and it made her wonder what was wrong with him.

"I... I'm fine, Jongin. How about you?"

"I'm fine too, Rebecca, thank you for asking. How's life?"

The girl did not even realize her warm tears had streamed down her cheeks.

"Life has been treating me good, Jongin... How about you?"

"It is the same for me, Rebecca." A little cough followed, and Rebecca could not help to worry. She missed him so bad, and this might be her only chance to talk to him again. She was afraid, she really was, but she had no courage to ask, she was even afraid that these only happened in her dream. She in a nervous breath and decided to continue, not wanting to waste any more time.

"Jongin, I'm sorry."

"For?"

"Everything," She halted her words as she was choked by her own tears, not wanting her weep to be heard by the boy. "For everything, Jongin. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too, Rebecca, for making you lose your trust on me. I might not be able to mend it again, but I'm sorry. I do not want to hurt you any further."

Rebecca said nothing. She took a deep breath to calm herself so the cry would stop.

"Continue, Jongin."

"I love you, Rebecca. I always do, even after everything, even after all this time."

Rebecca, now unable to utter any words, could not hold back her cry anymore. She let it erupt from , letting Jongin know that she had been living in sorrow after leaving him.

"I-I love you too Jongin... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

"Now, be a good girl for me and live well, okay? I love you."

Then Jongin hung up the call.

The pain was nothing compared to the relief surging through his system once he got to hear her voice, the one he missed the most. The wounds were nothing, everything was nothing.

He wished the blood would stop, though.

If only he could stay longer... He perhaps could meet her again someday.

But the fate did not want it to happen.

Then his world turned black.